Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Here's a thorny one.

How do I (27F) tell my GF (25F) of eight months that I used to be a sex worker?

quote:

Background

When I was in college, my family life imploded and my parents could no longer afford to pay for all of their share of college. My own job didn't make enough money to cover everything, and after carefully researching my options I ended up taking a second job that was of a sexual nature. This lasted for about three years and I was in the end able to graduate, get a solid job in a respectable field, and move far away from where I grew up and went to college. I almost never tell anyone how I made ends meet during that time.

I am not looking for judgment on this decision of mine, and I was never abused or coerced. I got STD tested regularly and am clean, and never did drugs. It was a brief part of my life and I regret that it was necessary, but I'm not super ashamed of it either. I made ends meet and got out the moment it was no longer needed, end of story.

Now

I now live a couple states away from where I used to live, working a good job in a respectable field that I love. Almost a year ago I met my current girlfriend who I'll call Wendy. Our relationship has mostly been solid, but Wendy comes from what I guess I'd call a very sheltered background. I'm the first person she's ever had sex with, and she's not entirely comfortable with me about sex. She knows I've slept with a number of people before her, both men and women (I strongly prefer women, but I couldn't be too choosy during that part of my life), and isn't really happy about that or how I'm just more comfortable expressing my sexuality.

Which is why, as we're getting near a year together and starting to get really serious, I'm not sure how I should tell Wendy everything about my past. I genuinely think I might be in love with her, and I want to come clean. Wendy knows how sexually active my past has been, and that I don't like to talk about how I supported myself through college after my family situation went south, but I worry that this might be too much for her given how skittish she's been about sex (just to make it clear, she was the one who started it the first time we slept together).

Does anyone have advice about how I should approach this talk, or even whether coming clean is a good idea in the first place?

tl;dr used to be a sex worker to make ends meet, current gf is getting serious but is skittish about sex and doesn't know about my past, don't know how to tell her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Cythereal posted:

Here's a thorny one.

You can approach this talk by putting all your poo poo in a suitcase and driving the gently caress away. Wendy understands, as Foucault and did, that sex and power are inextricably linked. By having more sex, by commodifying it in such a way to pay for your own college, you have gained immeasurable power. Wendy is terrified of this, and of you. Healthy relationships aren't made of fear, but of reasonable caution. Power must be matched, defenses must be tested, and battles must be fought. Ideally, it will end in a stalemate and you'll have no choice but to gently caress each other, forever, and then die. Relationships and sex are a battlefield, yes, but not temporary ones. They are lines of trenches and artillery fire, shifting but not diminishing. You have already won this battle and it is time to :sever: and move on.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Admiral Ray posted:

You can approach this talk by putting all your poo poo in a suitcase and driving the gently caress away. Wendy understands, as Foucault and did, that sex and power are inextricably linked. By having more sex, by commodifying it in such a way to pay for your own college, you have gained immeasurable power. Wendy is terrified of this, and of you. Healthy relationships aren't made of fear, but of reasonable caution. Power must be matched, defenses must be tested, and battles must be fought. Ideally, it will end in a stalemate and you'll have no choice but to gently caress each other, forever, and then die. Relationships and sex are a battlefield, yes, but not temporary ones. They are lines of trenches and artillery fire, shifting but not diminishing. You have already won this battle and it is time to :sever: and move on.

:golfclap:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cythereal posted:

Here's a thorny one.

gently caress.

i think OP has the right to shut the door on that part of her life if that's what she wants to do, but i dont think that would be the best thing for the relationship, and she seems to agree.

i think i would attempt to explain the situation i had been in at the time, as thoroughly as possible, and try to help Wendy understand why it was necessary for me to do sex work. id make sure she knew that it was in the past and i wanted to leave it behind as much as i could.

i really hope they can work things out.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

What's important is that the actionable advice is correct, but the journey made my day.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA if I didn’t tell my best friend (my brother-in-law) that his wife is carrying another man’s child that isn’t from a fertility clinic sperm donor?

YWBTA. Let sleeping dogs lie. Telling him.just blows up his family and he knows it isn't his biological offspring anyway.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for getting upset that my girlfriend won’t let me help her write her MOH speech?

You are the most ridiculous rear end in a top hat.

Power Khan posted:

My (38M) wife (36F) flattened her wedding ring in a hydraulic press to "test the strength of our love"

Uh, maybe try not cheating on her for a while and then talk about it. Jesus YOU'RE worried about the relationship? Dumbfuck. rear end.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

MIL "recycles" used toilet paper

quote:

So MIL is a manipulative and verbally abusive creature who enjoys yelling at my poor old, meek, and feeble FIL. In the 10 years since my DW and I got married and she left the house, MIL has become a hoarder and turned every room of the house into storage for her trash. The poor and soft-spoken FIL is no match for this demon and despite being the only one who works and provides income, FIL has become nothing more than just a speck on the wall in MIL's world as she runs the show and calls all of the shots.

My DW and I finally had a child after years of trying and unfortunately had no choice but to have MIL babysit on occasion. All was well when our child was an infant and slept all day in the crib, but I deemed every room in that house unsafe for a crawling toddler and was nervous when my child finally began to explore his surroundings. The nail in the coffin was the day I found out about the cat "litter". MIL is incredibly cheap and thrifty and would go to great lengths to save a penny. She regularly went through the trash of all of her tenants (to recycle the cans and plastic bottles that tenants were mixing with the regular trash).

Ok no big deal I guess as home owners in this area could get fined for having recyclables inside the regular trash. But then I discovered that she was also rummaging through the bathroom trash bags and sorting through them to find "lightly used toilet paper" (you know, the ones you wipe with last just to make sure you're all clean down there) MIL was apparently taking these sheets of toilet paper and using them to line the cat litter box because she was too cheap to purchase cat litter. YOU READ RIGHT. My MIL collected USED sheets of toilet paper from the trash of her tenants to use as "cat litter"!

Needless to say, that was the last day my child stayed at that house and MIL could not understand why. She found nothing wrong with the fact that her 5 cats (mayber 6?) would step all over the used toilet paper and then run off into the house and spread God knows what all over the carpets while my child dragged his body all across the floor. She DEMANDS to my DW that we bring the child back but I have forbidden it until she cleans up her act. My FIL, DW, and SIL are all deathly afraid of her because she incessantly yells and berates them, but MIL fears and avoids me because she once tried doing the same to me and I got in her face and dished it back. Am I wrong for refusing to allow her to babysit my child in that filthy, disgusting house?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My boyfriend [21M] and I [18F] are experimenting with polyamory but I don't know if it's working.

Basically, my boyfriend approached me saying that he wants to interact with other people sexually whilst we're both still young. He was happy to keep it online and not with anyone he or I know irl. My only real condition was I don't wanna know about it. I don't wanna see, hear or talk about it. I understand why he wants it, that doesn't mean I like it. There was a girl he was messaging like 2 hours later with a heart next to her name. We'll come back to that. The problem now is that every night after I've gone to sleep (sexless) he'll jerk himself off, I'm a pretty light sleeper so I'll wake up and move around to get a drink or check my phone or whatever and then he'll accuse me of 'monitoring him'. I'm not, I couldn't care less if he wants to do that or not, I just need a drat drink. Anyway, after he did it tonight, I saw a snap come through from the girl with the heart. When I'd seen it the other day he'd told me she wasn't someone he was talking to because he couldn't get someone that quickly but now he's messaging her whilst getting himself off? I'm worried she's someone he knows irl and someone he'd rather get off to on sc than having sex with me.

TL;DR - Boyfriend and I trying polyamory with ground rules, he's now prefering getting himseld off to sex with me and I'm worried he's broken a ground rule.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Miss posted:

MIL "recycles" used toilet paper

Hoarders aren't people it doesn't matter how you treat them. Roll up and set fire to the house, the FD probably won't even connect hoses they'll wait for the smell to burn off before dousing it

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My boyfriend [21M] and I [18F] are experimenting with polyamory but I don't know if it's working.

this dude cannot respect the simplest loving rules his gf asked of him. :sever2:

she needs to get out now. it's only going to get worse from here.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Smirking_Serpent posted:

You are still together so it has not worked yet. Just give it time.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

Im glad she is out of her boyfriends life forever and I hope someday he can meet any of the vast, vast majority of Americans who no longer smoke. Unless theyre austrian in which case he should move

iirc something like 30% of americans still smoke and the working class in particular is like 50-60%. so you're technically correct I guess.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Barudak posted:

Im glad she is out of her boyfriends life forever and I hope someday he can meet any of the vast, vast majority of Americans who no longer smoke. Unless theyre austrian in which case he should move

What's the deal with Austrians?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

iirc something like 30% of americans still smoke and the working class in particular is like 50-60%. so you're technically correct I guess.

14% of adults in the US smoked in 2017

Power Khan posted:

What's the deal with Austrians?

34% of Austrian women smoke which for a long time gave them a several % point lead over the rest of europe and all other developed countries but I think Greece has started to catch up with them as of late.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AITA for using poop bags for my daughter's birthday party?

quote:

My daughter just turned 6. We had a birthday party for her on Saturday. That morning was pretty hectic. I was outside setting up and suddenly my wife comes outside yelling about how the grocery store screwed up the birthday cake and I didn't notice.

All that happened was that they spelled our daughter's name as "Sarah" and it's "Sara" and I said, "who cares, just scrape off the H" but she insisted on returning it. So I said "fine whatever." And then as she's leaving she says since I screwed up already I should make upfor it by finishing the decorations.

And I go into the kitchen and I ask my daughter, "what's the most important thing?" She says "the gift bags." I found all the candy and toys and what I thought were the bags they were supposed to go into. So I make up the bags, my daughter helps, and she thinks they look great and she's happy with them.

My wife comes home and takes over, satisfied by the new cake and the attempt I made at helping. So a little while after that, the guests arrive. The day went pretty well until the end. My daughter reminds us that they need to hand out gift bags. My wife panics thinking she forgot about them, but she says "dont worry, dad made them" and she looked so relieved until I got the box. She looked inside an was horrified

"What the gently caress is this?" she whispers. And she thrusts the box back at me and rushes to the bedroom. I follow her and find her sitting on the bed crying. She's SO embarrassed. Why? She wont say. I'm not sure what to do because people are trying to leave and they're confused as to whats going on. I then I just take over "goodbye" duty and hand out the bags to kids at the door and say bye with my daughter.

Well halfway through doing that my wife came back out and took the box from me and brought it into the bedroom and threw it on the ground. wtf? she finally tells me "those are dog poop bags" and basically I'm stupid and I've ruined all the hard work she put into the party.

well, reddit, they dont look like "dog poop" bags. they're just small pink bags with hearts on them. who really cares? I tell her "It's not like they're dirty. they're small bags like any other bags" and drat it she freaked. She says she's so mortified she doesnt even want to show her face at the school anymore.

So yeah I've been bringing my daughter to school every day this week (which has been making me late for work). my wife will barely even speak to me even though my daughter thinks everything was fine. she laughed when i told her they were really dog poop bags. my wife got even more mad at me for telling her. I told my wife she needs to chill and she basically said I was a huge rear end in a top hat and she's mad that I dont think it's a big deal. and I still dont. Actually, I think I'm the one that should be mad at HER for keeping this going for almost a week.

So, Reddit, AITA?

TL;DR: I used dog poop bags as goody bags by accident for 6 year old daughter's bday party

This post is kind of funny in how it's a lovely inattentive father combined with a neurotic mess of a mother who together are definitely going to repeatedly gently caress up their daughter's life over the stupidest poo poo imaginable

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Based on the headline I thought it was gonna be he gave away used colostomy bags to kids on accident so since its not that Im thrilled

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Daddy needs to up his game a little bit Mommy needs therapy

Edit wait he misspelled his Daughters name??? Holy poo poo they both are a mess

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I think it was the store that misspelled it but he was too much of a mess to notice or care

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Eh that's a bakery screw up, they happen all the time. My bridal shower cake said "congratulations on your wedding day", which was not really what was ordered but whatever, cake was still delicious. These things happen.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

He didn’t the bakery did. He didn’t check the cake which really isn’t that huge of a gently caress up.

I dunno why y’all are laying into dad it’s not that bad especially not for the reaction mom is giving.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

QuarkJets posted:

AITA for using poop bags for my daughter's birthday party?

This post is kind of funny in how it's a lovely inattentive father combined with a neurotic mess of a mother who together are definitely going to repeatedly gently caress up their daughter's life over the stupidest poo poo imaginable

This is a sitcom

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Now honey I know that you told me to get a birthday cake for our daughter, but I'm sure that this cake made to look like Harvey Weinstein's face that the store gave me by mistake tastes just as good so I don't see what the big deal is

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Thanks for coming to the party everyone here have some goody bags *hands out little plastic bags reading "Happy birthday Sarah" that are full of actual dog poo poo*

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Look you said to hire a birthday clown how was I supposed to know that you didn't mean the clown from IT? He offered a killer rate!

*daughter opens the present that her dad wrapped revealing that it's the puzzle box from Hellraiser clutched in a monkey's paw*

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The cake and the poop bags both seem like understandable mistakes when you are rushing around distracted doing last minute prep for a party. I have made some ridiculous mistakes when I was rushing to finish things before people showed up for parties and whatnot. It's understandable, people don't care, and they most likely don't even notice. It's also understandable to get upset and cry that things didn't go as planned, but avoiding the school forever seems like overkill. And if they know they are this way, why leave this poo poo to the last minute? The cake pick up has to be the day of, but the bags could have been done days or weeks ago.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Barudak posted:

14% of adults in the US smoked in 2017

34% of Austrian women smoke which for a long time gave them a several % point lead over the rest of europe and all other developed countries but I think Greece has started to catch up with them as of late.

That's the rate among 18-28 year olds, not the % of smokers among the whole population, which is something like 10-11%. Austria isn't anywhere near the smoking rates of Greece, France or Croatia, it's above european average though.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/433390/individuals-who-currently-smoke-cigarettes-in-european-countries/

or per capita

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/world-according-to-tobacco-consumption/

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
How is shower before sex weird?!? And washing your B-hole!?!?
So I am a male, been seeing this girl for 5 weeks now. after the second date we started having sex, generally if available before sex I like to take a quick shower (2 -5 minutes tops, or I recommend they come shower with me so we can start some foreplay) anyways we usually go back to her place since no one is there. I will hop in the shower sometimes she will come with me and take a quick rinse off with soap and water. We were talking yesterday and she said “I find it weird you shower before sex and after, also your the only dude I have seen wash his butt”

How is this weird?!?! Also washing the butt I just lather soap onto a wash cloth and give it a few passes. Like is not showering a thing? I don’t want to smell like some old caveman with swamp-rear end.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I hadnt checked in ages so thanks for updating me. Sounds like Greece and France are past them now so please update the mental model of this joke of a man making a von trapp escape from a theater full of cigarette nazis.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

cumshitter posted:

No, this owns and your uncle is probably a bad parent who shields his children from the gay pornography every child needs to grow up into a healthy homosexual.

When Cumshitter meets a child he finds a way to ask, “Say kid, do you like movies about gladiators?”

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Good to see that Greg Hirsch has a family.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Power Khan posted:

How is shower before sex weird?!? And washing your B-hole!?!?
So I am a male, been seeing this girl for 5 weeks now. after the second date we started having sex, generally if available before sex I like to take a quick shower (2 -5 minutes tops, or I recommend they come shower with me so we can start some foreplay) anyways we usually go back to her place since no one is there. I will hop in the shower sometimes she will come with me and take a quick rinse off with soap and water. We were talking yesterday and she said “I find it weird you shower before sex and after, also your the only dude I have seen wash his butt”

How is this weird?!?! Also washing the butt I just lather soap onto a wash cloth and give it a few passes. Like is not showering a thing? I don’t want to smell like some old caveman with swamp-rear end.

this man has never worked in a kitchen and the woman has only dated complete losers

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Check out this. 6 months worth work lol

AITA For refusing an intern/low paying job at my girlfriends workplace?
Backstory. She works at a startup as a bookkeeper, they recently were talking about updating their cms (content management system) that they offer to their clients and she overheard the conversation and told them that I can do develope something like that. So she sent me a message to send a cv to their HR, lets call her Karen (because you probably know why). I forwarded my cv and they told me to come friday for a interview, so today.

It went really good actually, but what they called updating was basically working from scratch new features, new design, an app! This was at least 6 months of work. And they wanted to hire someone and not actually pay a fixed price

I told them that i work as a freelancer and got a lot of work and what they wanted would cost me all my time, i send them a quote which included also the amount my friend would charge for developing the android/ios app.

So round $20k. They declined the offer on spot and told me they wanted to hire me for this project first and maybe i can land a job at this fantastic new startup with 3 espresso machines, a bed to sleep if you are tired, percentage at this poo poo startup yadayada for a mere 2k salary per month.

I declined and politely told them they can go gently caress themself with the espresso machines.

Went home and my girlfriend was PISSED because the thought i would accept the offer and she planned everything from waking up at the same time, working together, seeing each other 15 hours per day. Now she thinks i didnt accept it because i dont want to be with her all the time

quote:

I told them "thank you but im not interested, this is too much work for such a small payment and im pretty happly working from home"

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

Mom made a separate instagram to follow girls my bf followers
u/puzzledpug8h
Basically what the title says...I(F20) don't know what to do at this point. I was on my mom's(52F) phone and went to her instagram to find this account. It was an anonymous account that follows girls whose accounts are on private but my boyfriend(21M) follows. I think this is crazy but if I confront her about it she'll find a way to turn it on me or say my bf shouldn't be following these girls (which is crazy, it's girls he knows). She also has a phone camera gallery of screenshots of pictures of different girls he has liked. I'm honestly at a loss of what to do right now so sorry if this is all over the place.

TL;DR: Do I confront my mom about this even if I know she will turn the blame onto someone else?

quote:

Thank you. It’s just crazy because she acts like she likes him. But in high school she was incredibly controlling by reading my texts and having access to all my social media and a whole lot more

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Barudak posted:

I hadnt checked in ages so thanks for updating me. Sounds like Greece and France are past them now so please update the mental model of this joke of a man making a von trapp escape from a theater full of cigarette nazis.

*Muffled yelling in turkish and greek*

Sry, I don't know what you mean, but it's cool. Nothing to see here.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

razorrozar posted:

loving M:tG cards. five or six boosters.

it wasn't worth it, not even to discover i have a colon of steel. i dont even play the loving game any more.

You spent 3 weeks in jail for stealing cardboard playing cards? That's like a few bucks, isn't it?

Also goddammit, steal less goony poo poo.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Why do the dog poop bags have hearts on them?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Why do the dog poop bags have hearts on them?

Theyre valentines themed.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Three Olives posted:

If children are so amazing, why does every parent I know constantly complain about how horrible and expensive they are and how they basically ruin your life in between telling you what magical gifts they are because they did this one cute thing once.

...so both your parents do this?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

aardwolf posted:

...so both your parents do this?

He doesn't have any, everyone knows Three Olives spawned fully formed in an upscale Dallas condo back in the early 2000s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Power Khan posted:

That's the rate among 18-28 year olds, not the % of smokers among the whole population, which is something like 10-11%. Austria isn't anywhere near the smoking rates of Greece, France or Croatia, it's above european average though.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/433390/individuals-who-currently-smoke-cigarettes-in-european-countries/

or per capita

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/world-according-to-tobacco-consumption/

I'm honestly surprised Georgia is only 20th, everyone there just drinks wine and smokes heavily from the age of 16, it's amazing