Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

half cocaine posted:

Susan Rice is trash but this is the best rebuke of Trump lies that I've ever seen.
Well I learnt a thing...

Susan E. Rice’s son is a Trump-loving Republican. He says a Stanford classmate assaulted him at pro-Kavanaugh event.

quote:

John David Rice-Cameron — the son of Susan E. Rice, a former national security adviser to President Barack Obama — is proof, in many ways, that the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. He is a student at Stanford, as was his mother. He is invested in politics, as is his mother. Both caught the political bug early, serving on student council in high school.

But the son stands apart from the mother in at least one major way. She is not just a Democrat but a veteran of the Clinton and Obama administrations whose hopes of succeeding Hillary Clinton as secretary of state were wrecked by political shrapnel from the 2012 attacks in Benghazi, Libya.
Rice-Cameron is not just a conservative but the head of the Stanford College Republicans and a proud supporter of President Trump. His ambition is to “Make Stanford Great Again.”

The political chasm separating Rice and her son was made plain by Kavanaugh’s ascent to the Supreme Court. In the days after the Senate voted 50 to 48 to confirm the embattled judge, the former national security adviser suggested that she might take on one of the lawmakers who helped smooth Kavanaugh’s path to the high court. “Me,” she wrote on Twitter in response to an appeal for someone to oppose Republican Sen. Susan Collins of Maine, later saying that she would decide after the midterm elections next month whether to run against the four-term senator in 2020.

Across the country, Rice-Cameron was holding court at an event on the Palo Alto campus celebrating Kavanaugh’s confirmation. Signs displayed Tuesday at a so-called Change My Mind event — regular events designed “to promote conservative viewpoints,” as the group’s treasurer told Fox’s Laura Ingraham last week — proclaimed “Kavanaugh is innocent until proven guilty,” according to the Stanford Daily.

One student whose mind was not changed was Melinda Hernandez, a sophomore who became involved in a disagreement with the president of the campus GOP.

The dispute ended at about 1 p.m. on Tuesday when Rice-Cameron called Stanford police to the central university plaza where, he alleged, Hernandez had assaulted him.
:barf:

edit: tax

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

:holymoley: this is hilarious. Kill thevelite. Allegedly

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Another impeachable offense

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1185448256366678016

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

bird cooch posted:

Ours were working dogs. They wanted to be with the sheep and other critters in the farm. Loved digging giant holes and laying in the fresh dirt, being filthy at all times and were cool with people, but wanted to be in the barn all the time.

Now we have a berner for child tending and newf for involuntarily water rescue. Works out great as we are a water crazy family.

Looking at talking up ranching again soon, but this time with an even more eco friendly slant. Goats instead of cows and sheep, more (than the hundreds we had) birds and getting serious about renewable energy as the place we are looking at is off the grid.

Maremmas are loving awesome sheep/goat/etc dogs too. I’ve heard they’re generally more dedicated than Pyrs but they’re still definitely people friendly if they’re brought up right. Tho i dunno what lgd GPs are like with other people’s dogs. Maremmas get along fine with family/farm dogs on the same property but absolutely do not get along very fine with outside dogs

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

So uh, for someone who's been out of the loop for about a year, how likely is it Tulsi actually is knowingly or otherwise being supported by Russia?

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

qmark posted:

From your response, it seems like you engaged with and understood my message even if we don't agree. I appreciate it.

I am definitely frustrated about the state of national politics, and Pelosi at least is a symbol of the problem from my perspective, because she is a part of the professional class faction that has taken over the Democratic party and stopped meaningfully opposing issues that I think are extremely important.

People itt who criticize Pelosi (besides having a number of valid complaints) are struggling with an apparent disparity between how high the stakes are from their perspective and how high they seem to be to party leaders and representatives based on their actions. At least that is the case for me.

What started this argument was a poster essentially saying the slaughter of the Kurds is the cost of Trump being in power right now. That is true, regardless of whether you put that on Pelosi (as the OP did) or Republicans enabling Trump or the idiosyncrasies of the Constitution, or whatever else. The stakes are so real it's hard to appreciate adeptness at parliamentary politics.

this conversation is really compelling. For me it seems like democratic leadership favors the centrist/corporate democrats in purplish districts and that guides their decisionmaking. where do you think the donors fit into all this?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

McCloud posted:

So uh, for someone who's been out of the loop for about a year, how likely is it Tulsi actually is knowingly or otherwise being supported by Russia?

I don't think there is any coordination going on there. It's just that Gabbard's ideology, and a need and desire to distance herself from the rest of the party, have also ended up aligning her with Russia's interests on foreign policy, and Russia might be doing something without actually having any direct contact with her or her campaign. The thing is that despite what people would have you believe, Russian intelligence seems to be pretty incompetent, so if there was direct co-operation going on, we'd probably find out.

Clinton used the word "asset", which could kind of be contorted to support this view (that she would be unwittingly helpful to Russia), in that she is an asset to them, but of course if you've read your Tom Clancys and watched your 24s, "asset" could also mean "someone directly working with someone else on spy stuff".

The talk of a third party spoiler run for Gabbard is just bizarre, I've not seen anything to support that, and she would not get anywhere near the same traction as Jill Stein as a rebel Democrat unless she becomes the Green candidate or something and even there she'd probably be worse at being a spoiler than anyone else the Green Party could come up with on their own. The real spoiler threat is a billionaire who doesn't want a centre-left Democrat to become President.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 19, 2019

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Sulphagnist posted:

I don't think there is any coordination going on there. It's just that Gabbard's ideology, and a need and desire to distance herself from the rest of the party, have also ended up aligning her with Russia's interests on foreign policy, and Russia might be doing something without actually having any direct contact with her or her campaign. The thing is that despite what people would have you believe, Russian intelligence seems to be pretty incompetent, so if there was direct co-operation going on, we'd probably find out.

Clinton used the word "asset", which could kind of be contorted to support this view (that she would be unwittingly helpful to Russia), in that she is an asset to them, but of course if you've read your Tom Clancys and watched your 24s, "asset" could also mean "someone directly working with someone else on spy stuff".

The talk of a third party spoiler run for Gabbard is just bizarre, I've not seen anything to support that, and she would not get anywhere near the same traction as Jill Stein as a rebel Democrat unless she becomes the Green candidate or something and even there she'd probably be worse at being a spoiler than anyone else the Green Party could come up with on their own. The real spoiler threat is a billionaire who doesn't want a centre-left Democrat to become President.

Good that you mentioned Stein - Gabbard and Stein are similar in that they aren’t Russian assets...but maybe unwitting pawns. They’re both godawful poo poo joke candidates that should be mocked into the sea due to their terrible views. They have parroted similar points by Russian disinfo efforts (though to be fair...regular degular Americans do that as well), and have both done some INCREDIBLY shady poo poo that has some Russian influence scent on it. But their own views and candidacy is already enough of a waste of time that they and their followers should be brutally ignored.

Also while mentioned way earlier - BLM has no Russian backing and is decentralized, BUT Russian disinfo campaigns used it to gently caress around online as they did with nearly every other issue. BLM was used as a tool to divide and incite, there is no legitimate concern for black lives from the Russian government and the fact that it was used to gently caress with people is callous and cruel on its own which frankly, is enough of an action to call for ol choppy choppy.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

teen witch posted:

Gabbard and Stein are similar in that they aren’t Russian assets...but maybe unwitting pawns.

That's what an "asset" is. A knowing pawn would be an "agent."

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

I feel like they aren’t doing enough overtly to be an asset, and pawn indicates that they’re being used, but this is purely semantics and less of a thing to focus on versus their dumb actions, statements and tweets.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there is no way stein didn't know what she was doing, don't give her the benefit of the doubt.

edit: great pyrynees talk, have my uncle's former great pyrynees from when they were puppies, oliver and luna

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 19, 2019

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Having gone through the Cold War I can't believe that we even have to have a conversation about which candidates for President are possibly working for the goddamn Russians. :smith:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Dick Trauma posted:

Agents are assets. Also informants are assets, people you can bribe are assets, the guy who you can pour a couple drinks into on Friday night and get him bitching about office politics is an asset, the racist grandpas on facebook who you can trick into repeating fwd: fwd: fwd: horseshit about a current political issue are assets, and so on. Anyone, and more broadly anything, that can get you closer to accomplishing whatever you're trying to accomplish is an asset.

If you just sorta casually call somebody a foreign intelligence service's asset as a sort of mic drop thing then yeah I think you're implying a certain level of involvement on their part, but that's got more to do with the politics of making that kind of statement publicly than it has to do with the definition of asset.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

there is no way stein didn't know what she was doing, don't give her the benefit of the doubt.

edit: great pyrynees talk, have my uncle's former great pyrynees from when they were puppies, oliver and luna

Yeah Stein I think was slightly more in on it but also a complete useful idiot.

No I am not quote replying to see the cute pooches again, I am not an asset of Big Pooch

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

Having gone through the Cold War I can't believe that we even have to have a conversation about which candidates for President are possibly working for the goddamn Russians. :smith:

poo poo, we still haven't normalized our relationship with Cuba. It's not exactly shocking.

Brb, watching the 21 Jump Street episode where a Russian exchange student with a security detail discovers malls and becomes a punk overnight :v:

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Dick Trauma posted:

I have very vague memories of being little and watching a TV movie about Soviets smuggling their secrets on a goddamn Atari 2600 cartridge. With Gary Coleman, of course. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_fantastic_world_of_dc_collins The Russkies have been bad and anti-Reagan my entire life and the current world is hilarious in a "this is fine" kind of way.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Phobic Nest posted:

The Russkies have been bad and anti-Reagan my entire life and the current world is hilarious in a "this is fine" kind of way.

Same.

I recall my childhood being filled with media presenting a constant, ever-vigilant battle against the Russians (and the gay menace, wtf?) long after the Berlin Wall fell and the USSR splintered.

I distinctly remember, during the first Gulf War, the US flying fighter jets at low altitude and at window-rattling mach-whatever speeds as a show of force to increase patriotism or something. Once the sonic booms faded away they'd sometimes trail this odd whistling sound that always had me fearing a Soviet sneak attack had knocked down the plane and it was a mere matter of moments before either an explosion would erupt nearby or a secretly transported nuke would wipe me and my entire neighborhood out in a flash of white-hot fire.

Fun times. At least I didn't have to worry about my school getting shot up.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Translation: raising taxes on billionaires is tooo haaaaard and they’ll say lots of mean stuff if we do. All of human history boils down to “I can’t take money from rich people because it’s too hard”

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Re: dogchat
The dogs on Middle Island are Maremmas and they are guard dogs, not herding dogs. They don’t interact with the penguins at all, the dogs hang out on the boardwalk and keep watch for predators like foxes to chase off.
They are good dogges
More info on the project here if you’re interested
https://www.warrnambool.vic.gov.au/middle-island-maremma-project

There’s also a goon who has an adorable Maremma called Mina to guard his livestock who posts in the cute thread and Pet Island.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1185309655423180800?s=19

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Paradoxish posted:

So... nothing, really. Some nebulous words about creating a more "fair" marketplace and then everything will fix itself, because markets are divine instruments incapable of failure.

He's not wrong per se. It's more important to alter profit incentives via regulation and enforcement than it is to tax the rich. But making that argument, now, - against *Warren* - is so purestrain useful idiot it beggars belief. Warren whose hobby horse was the CFPB (making the markets better) which the rich just eviscerated.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1185542362963107840

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/1185532744950079488

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

[

A Terrible Person posted:

Same.

I recall my childhood being filled with media presenting a constant, ever-vigilant battle against the Russians (and the gay menace, wtf?) long after the Berlin Wall fell and the USSR splintered.

I distinctly remember, during the first Gulf War, the US flying fighter jets at low altitude and at window-rattling mach-whatever speeds as a show of force to increase patriotism or something. Once the sonic booms faded away they'd sometimes trail this odd whistling sound that always had me fearing a Soviet sneak attack had knocked down the plane and it was a mere matter of moments before either an explosion would erupt nearby or a secretly transported nuke would wipe me and my entire neighborhood out in a flash of white-hot fire.

Fun times. At least I didn't have to worry about my school getting shot up.

“Russians Bad” is still a thing in our media too! Season 3 of Stranger Things features Russians heavily and “Russia Bad” is a major theme. Call of Duty Modern Warfare’s whole plot is about a Russian Invasion lol.

That’s what makes all of this so insane.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
It’d be great when AAVE isn’t used by white people ever because it’s getting to a real gross point

We can call out racists and idiots without employing language to mock.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Munkeymon posted:

Counterpoint: if your delicate eyes can't deal with an Insufficiently Leftist ArgumentsHeadlines, don't look at opinion sections.

:hmmyes: this is definitely the problem with NYT and WaPo.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I think he is really pushing things too far with how absolutely blatant he is, and a lot of them are privately wondering what he will want them to defend next

Most GOP members have like 1-2 open scandals. Trump has 1 every loving day, sometimes multiple

His asks have become more and more insane and overreaching, and he will never stop because he demands complete loyalty at all times, so every new insane thing he does is another loyalty test

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Munkeymon posted:

:jerkbag: yeah sure that's the normal takeaway here

Someone said stop giving money to them because of the kind of stuff they churn out and you said no keep giving money based on some weird real Leftist eyeball metric.

I don't think there are any normal takeaways for that. It's a weird take to try and takeaway from.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1185372441574547458

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I have no words.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

:hmmyes: this is definitely the problem with NYT and WaPo.

The NYT and WaPo have amazing investigative reporters who do good work that are hamstrung by a lovely editorial section and often terrible editorial staff.

With that said, I donate to ProPublica and PBS for their Frontline coverage.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I think my favorite thing about Trump is how he's modeled his White House into exactly what Trump Tower was during the Apprentice. He has three or four people completely beholden to him, running around doing crimes. He's lying about things that are going on all over the world, except now it's world affairs instead of pointless social gossip poo poo. He puts on a facade of a successful something or other once every couple of days. then he spends the rest of his time watching fox news and tweeting.

when he first got there, they tried to turn him into something conventional, and he just kept firing people until it because what he was used to.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

teen witch posted:

It’d be great when AAVE isn’t used by white people ever because it’s getting to a real gross point

We can call out racists and idiots without employing language to mock.

So 'squad goals' isn't just a dumb hashtag thing from forever ago, then? I've never seen it used in a remotely aave context. Happy to be corrected.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The NYT and WaPo have amazing investigative reporters who do good work that are hamstrung by a lovely editorial section and often terrible editorial staff.

With that said, I donate to ProPublica and PBS for their Frontline coverage.

There’s lots of news outlets like this. Mother Jones has that guy who goes into deep cover into the worst places for amazing pieces alongside absolute poo poo garbage. That doesn’t mean we have to or should give them money.

Journalism in America is fundamentally broken if in order to have investigative journalism we also have to give money to Bari Weiss, and it’s we the consumers who are scolded if we refuse.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

This G7 thing is going to be a big history book entry about the Trump administration. Like Teapot Dome kind of thing. Unless all the schools are Donald Trump the IVth High School and we're all reading from DeVos/Trump textbooks.

People will be slack jawed reading this poo poo. IF we recovered from it in time.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Timely

https://twitter.com/RealTimeWWII/status/1185223443102519296

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

There’s lots of news outlets like this. Mother Jones has that guy who goes into deep cover into the worst places for amazing pieces alongside absolute poo poo garbage. That doesn’t mean we have to or should give them money.

Journalism in America is fundamentally broken if in order to have investigative journalism we also have to give money to Bari Weiss, and it’s we the consumers who are scolded if we refuse.

At the same time, journalists (real journalists not the pundits) aren’t paid poo poo and need to eat and keep a roof over their head and also be paid for their work. I wish there was a way to give money to them directly.

I strongly believe that if we don’t have investigative journalism, our democracy ends. It’s why every authoritarian regime ever targets them first.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Zwabu posted:

This G7 thing is going to be a big history book entry about the Trump administration. Like Teapot Dome kind of thing. Unless all the schools are Donald Trump the IVth High School and we're all reading from DeVos/Trump textbooks.

People will be slack jawed reading this poo poo. IF we recovered from it in time.

I don't think Trump is going to make it to the next G7 one way or another.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Solaris 2.0 posted:

At the same time, journalists (real journalists not the pundits) aren’t paid poo poo and need to eat and keep a roof over their head and also be paid for their work. I wish there was a way to give money to them directly.

Patreon! ;)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Zwabu posted:

Ok serious post, this isn’t what should be next to Trump’s dumb history book entry, his ethnic cleansing of Latino people and facilitation of genocide in the Middle East should be. The hotel thing is minor bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

So 'squad goals' isn't just a dumb hashtag thing from forever ago, then? I've never seen it used in a remotely aave context. Happy to be corrected.

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/6azk5a/please-squad-down-everyone

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/aug/11/squadgoals-whitesplaining-black-culture-taylor-swift

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_...vskUsHwQ-3e2LgN