Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Pardon my stupidity but can someone tell me what happens if Boris does just ignore it until we default out?

Would it overturn what he’d done, or is that his plan, to be a martyr?

He would be in breach of the law and in contempt of parliament, either one of them can impose consequences either via a court judgement or bercow himself, and the consequences are at bercow's discretion in the case of parliament.

It is extremely unlikely he would get far if he actually refuses to comply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Pardon my stupidity but can someone tell me what happens if Boris does just ignore it until we default out?

Would it overturn what he’d done, or is that his plan, to be a martyr?

"I got a new deal, I proposed it to Parliament, Parliament didn't accept it. I pledged to get Brexit done by 31st October, so we're gonna Brexit by then, whether Parliament approves the deal or not, that's the end of it."

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I’ve been reading tweets by British politicians all morning and I can’t understand who is on what team but I’ve gathered that the Lib Dems can’t decide that either.

Also Corbyn giving his pronouns at a conference. :3:

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

The Labour No votes:

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Sulphagnist posted:

Bercow doing a solid and playing for time by jabbering while people are noisily leaving the chamber so the MP in turn doesn't lose it

This giant of a man will be missed.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

dispatch_async posted:

The Labour No votes:

Didn't Hoey say she'd vote with the DUP?

I guess that only counts when they toe the government line.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Private Speech posted:

I think she wasn't going to vote for the deal, which she never actually got the chance to do.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Private Speech posted:

She seems to consistently vote against anything which might reduce the government's ability to do whatever the gently caress it likes re: Brexit so it's entirely expected

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
lol Rory Stewart also voted no

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
https://commonsvotes.digiminster.com/Divisions/Details/721?byMember=false#notrecorded

2 Tory abstentions. How likely are we to see them getting the boot?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

So what's going on here - they're arguing over what the government's actually planning to bring forward on Monday. All anyone knows is Mogg said they're bringing a motion forward, but he's not done it in the right way (just announced it in a point of order instead of through an emergency business statement) and Bercow's not totally sure how to deal with it

kinda seems like they're trying to redo the vote without the amendment?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

baka kaba posted:

So what's going on here - they're arguing over what the government's actually planning to bring forward on Monday. All anyone knows is Mogg said they're bringing a motion forward, but he's not done it in the right way (just announced it in a point of order instead of through an emergency business statement) and Bercow's not totally sure how to deal with it

Doesn't that fall foul of the same rule may did where you can't bring the same motion forward multiple times?

Like I know hers actually got rejected but there should presumably be a way to refuse them repeatedly pulling it at the amendment stage.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

baka kaba posted:

Probably buying time to try and get individual EU leaders to make statements definitively ruling out another extension, to force vote on it vs no deal.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

About as likely as the 4 Labour abstentions i.e. loving not at all

OwlFancier posted:

Doesn't that fall foul of the same rule may did where you can't bring the same motion forward multiple times?

Interesting that in spite of his rhetoric everything Boris has done so far has been exactly like TM except worse, almost like he's completely unused to actually having to do things other than talk poo poo

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

If bercow doesn't know off the top of his head I sure don't!

but he hasn't been given advance notice or anything. Mogg's pulling some shenanigans and Bercow doesn't actually know what the deal is yet

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1185556343895285761

Cummings huge throbbing brain is at work again

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

This vote changes nothing.

Boris will send the letter, but he'll hold another meaningful vote on Monday. The EU won't respond to the letter before that vote.

So it still comes down to whether his deal will pass, before we start talking about him going to court or anything like that. We still need to defeat the deal.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ok Mogg's been dragged to the despatch box and said they're gonna do an emergency business statement on monday, so it's meant to be a big surprise

Bercow started intensely talking about whether it's orderly and that the government ain't the arbiters of that, and threw a bit of shade at Mogg's big constitutional brain

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
14 year olds arguing about Warhammer rules

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

jabby posted:

Boris will send the letter, but he'll hold another meaningful vote on Monday. The EU won't respond to the letter before that vote.

So it still comes down to whether his deal will pass, before we start talking about him going to court or anything like that. We still need to defeat the deal.

And if Monday's vote is amended in the same way as today?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/pointlesslettrs/status/1185559873364353026

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jabby posted:

xtothez posted:

This, if it can't pass today then there is little reason to believe it will pass on monday. That's if Bercow even allows it.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

This, if it can't pass today then there is little reason to believe it will pass on monday. That's if Bercow even allows it.

Letwin himself said he would vote for it on Monday. Odds are it will be defeated, but not by as big a margin.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

xtothez posted:

Amended to say what? The Letwin amendment existed to make Boris send the letter, just in case the deal passed but then somehow got scuppered on the way through parliament. There's no need for a similar amendment once an extension has already been requested.

We need there to be fewer than 9 switchers from today's vote. Letwin has already said he'll vote for a deal. So has Onn, and she abstained today. The deal vote is going to be closer than this.

OwlFancier posted:

This makes no sense. Several people who have explicitly said they will vote for the deal also voted for this amendment as a safeguard. Including Letwin himself!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Doesn't Letwin stop another MV until the withdrawal bill is passed? How can there be any votes on Monday if that hasn't happened?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

baka kaba posted:

Ok Mogg's been dragged to the despatch box and said they're gonna do an emergency business statement on monday, so it's meant to be a big surprise

Bercow started intensely talking about whether it's orderly and that the government ain't the arbiters of that, and threw a bit of shade at Mogg's big constitutional brain

Reclassify Northern Ireland as a 'colony' so no longer part of the UK.
Solves all problems, as laws don't mention NI in any way directly.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Qwertycoatl posted:

That's some bullshit, I'm pretty sure I remember reading they have chatlogs of traders basically saying "hey let's rig libor" "ok I'm rigging libor"

Those traders went down, this is shutting down the investigation before it looks into involvement from the Bank of England.

So it's the establishment protecting itself.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

Doesn't Letwin stop another MV until the withdrawal bill is passed? How can there be any votes on Monday if that hasn't happened?

They never actually passed it, as soon as the amendment went through boris pulled the entire vote.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

They never actually passed it, as soon as the amendment went through boris pulled the entire vote.

So they'd need to re-vote on the same amendment again if the vote was brought back?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
lol eat poo poo Boris.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

It passed without division because the government abstained, the government can't pull a motion already put to the house.

It also wouldn't matter, because the whole purpose of the amendment was to delay the meaningful vote until after today, so that Boris is forced to send the letter.

Bercow is now going to rule if they can have another MV on Monday, as the government wants, or if the de facto new meaningful vote will be the second reading of the withdrawal act on Tuesday. Either way we are tee'd up for another meaningful vote BEFORE the EU responds to the extension letter, and it will be closer than this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jabby posted:

Amended to say what? The Letwin amendment existed to make Boris send the letter, just in case the deal passed but then somehow got scuppered on the way through parliament. There's no need for a similar amendment once an extension has already been requested.

No there absolutely is, because the text of the benn act is such that if parliament passes this bill unamended on monday, it gives the prime minister fiat to withdraw the extension before the 31st, even if the actual legislation fails:

quote:

If, following a request for an extension under subsection (4) but before the end of 30 October 2019, the condition in subsection (1) or the condition in subsection (2) is met, the Prime Minister may withdraw or modify the request.

So, if they want to prevent a scenario where the benn act is satisfied but the deal itself fails at the legislation fails, they still must pass the letwin amendment.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Lol at Bercow’s ancient photo under “no vote recorded”.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

namesake posted:

Those traders went down, this is shutting down the investigation before it looks into involvement from the Bank of England.

So it's the establishment protecting itself.

Ahh, good old "it's not an institutional problem, it's just a large number of isolated cases of bad apples"

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

No there absolutely is, because the text of the benn act is such that if parliament passes this bill unamended on monday, it gives the prime minister fiat to withdraw the extension before the 31st, even if the actual legislation fails:

So, if they want to prevent a scenario where the benn act is satisfied but the deal itself fails at the legislation fails, they still must pass the letwin amendment.

https://twitter.com/PARLYapp/status/1185554624436146177

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Letwin got into some technicalities, and I think what he was getting at is that delaying the vote until after the letter has been sent enables Joris to cancel it if the deal is passed. I guess because it separates the WA bill with the need to send the letter, since it was already sent? So he could send the letter, the EU will stall until the bill is voted on, and then if the government wins they can revoke it and boom no extension

So that way the Benn act is undermined through another loophole, and we're back to the possibility of a whoopsie doodle looks like we didn't sort things in no time, no deal it is then

(nobody really knows what they're up to but I think that was Letwin's reading of a possibility)

Bercow's gonna work out if it's allowed, it's one of those after hours style sessions where everyone's hanging around talking to him about what to do next

e- beaten by the big letwin fans
also when he was explaining this loophole that's allowed for in the Benn act, Hillary Benn had a weird look of confusion on his face which ain't promising!!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Then I am confused because what are they voting on next week? If it's literally the unamended bill again that would, presumably, undo the letwin amendment. Because it would satisfy the benn act and give boris the ability to cancel the extension by himself whether we pass the legislation or not?

That's the point of this bill, to basically nullify the benn act.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Then I am confused because what are they voting on next week? If it's literally the unamended bill again that would, presumably, undo the letwin amendment. Because it would satisfy the benn act and give boris the ability to cancel the extension by himself whether we pass the legislation or not?

That's the point of this bill, to basically nullify the benn act.

The government wants a meaningful vote on Monday, but Bercow may not allow it as it's technically the same motion as today.

If they can't have that, they'll table the Withdrawal Bill itself, and by voting for the second reading MPs will approve the deal. That will be on Tuesday. Either way, MPs will vote on the deal early next week and it will be closer than today.

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1185565514912948227

E:
https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1185565640721088512

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
So is "no vote recorded" the same as sustained? I looked at Doccykins' link and it looks like Melanie Onn got to dodge a bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Comrade Fakename posted:

Lol at Bercow’s ancient photo under “no vote recorded”.

Bercow's is great, but my god: