Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

StarkingBarfish posted:

Bercow's is great, but my god:

Who changed the colour of the background and why are the milk bottles out of frame???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

bercow: I'm surprised by this, it's unprecedented in my memory, I will have to weigh on this matter with expert legal advice to determine if it's orderly

the media: as bercow prepares to smack this down, it's back to you chris!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Right now Boris is reenacting the Downfall meme.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Claudia Winkelman's gonna force Boris to send the letter on live TV

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

happyhippy posted:

I can only hope that he continues that role to the end.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
^^^^^^ u fkr :argh:

happyhippy posted:

All the way to the end? We can only hope so

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Comrade Fakename posted:

Lol at Bercow’s ancient photo under “no vote recorded”.

He sort of still looked like that during the obama visit.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

jabby posted:

If they can't have that, they'll table the Withdrawal Bill itself, and by voting for the second reading MPs will approve the deal.

I'm trying to learn more about this. Why does a second reading mean approval for the deal?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brony Car posted:

I'm trying to learn more about this. Why does a second reading mean approval for the deal?

I'm not really sure, usually it means it goes to the lords and then a third reading (with no amendments) before it passes properly.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 19, 2019

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Brony Car posted:

I don't know if it would technically satisfy the requirements for the meaningful vote (although the gov could probably add that on) but it would definitely indicate there was enough support for the deal and allow the government to press ahead. Only people who want to leave with the current deal would vote through the withdrawal bill.

Although it could still be amended, naturally.

And yes the prospects still look bleak for defeating the deal.

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1185573653620183041

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

is it good news or bad news today?

i've been busy grounding chickpeas

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The specific text of the benn act requires:

quote:

The condition in this subsection is that a Minister of the Crown has laid before each House of Parliament a statement that the United Kingdom has concluded an agreement with the European Union under Article 50(2) of the Treaty on European Union and a copy of the agreement and—

(a)the agreement has been approved by resolution of the House of Commons on a motion moved by a Minister of the Crown, and

(b)a motion for the House of Lords to take note of the agreement has been tabled in the House of Lords by a Minister of the Crown and—

(i)the House of Lords has debated the motion, or

(ii)the House of Lords has not concluded a debate on the motion before the end of the period of two Lords sitting days beginning with the first Lords sitting day after the day on which the House of Commons passes the resolution mentioned in paragraph (a).

Which would seem to require parliament to either pass the bill it just amended (a statement before each house that the UK has concluded an agreement etc), or now in accordance with that amendment:

quote:

"That, in light of the new deal agreed with the European Union, which enables the United Kingdom to respect the result of the referendum on its membership of the European Union and to leave the European Union on 31 October with a deal, this House has considered the matter but withholds approval unless and until implementing legislation is passed."

Which would seem to imply a complete passage of the bill through parliament.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

We're not past the danger, but it's good news. Any amount more time to consider the deal is more time in which Johnson's ridiculous coalition of different lies can collapse in.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Ratjaculation posted:

is it good news or bad news today?

i've been busy grounding chickpeas

The Prime Minister is dithering and delaying the expected vote

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

josh04 posted:

We're not past the danger, but it's good news. Any amount more time to consider the deal is more time in which Johnson's ridiculous coalition of different lies can collapse in.

Or for more Labour idiots to peel off and support the deal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ultimately yes it does hinge on whether the entire bill can make it through parliament, but unless they manage to retable the statement on monday I don't think boris is going to be able to do the no deal by "accident" thing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

^^^^^^ u fkr :argh:

All the way to the end? We can only hope so

Looking forward to 90 year old Dom Cummings lying to the camera telling us he was just a secretary and didn't know what was really going on

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1185572781607587840
One wonders why he took his son with him to work and then decided to walk home through the huge remain protest.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

jabby posted:

I don't know if it would technically satisfy the requirements for the meaningful vote (although the gov could probably add that on) but it would definitely indicate there was enough support for the deal and allow the government to press ahead. Only people who want to leave with the current deal would vote through the withdrawal bill.

Although it could still be amended, naturally.

And yes the prospects still look bleak for defeating the deal.

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1185573653620183041

Other commentators agree with deal is likely to pass next week -

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1185576232605376512

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

xtothez posted:

Good job we've lots of time to play with then

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Brony Car posted:

If I understand correctly, a second reading and then a vote for it will mean it replaces the current arguments and talk.
I think Boris is trying to say 'aha we just voted for this NEW bill, you are talking about the OLD one, so it doesn't matter'
Its a dodgy calvinballesqe maneuver

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

xtothez posted:

Still looks like the deal is going to pass.

So let me get this straight: after all the humiliation he's been through, Boris will STILL win in the end?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
So I have no loving clue what actually happened today even after reading the BBC.
What was actually voted on today?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

If Boris is forced to get an extension then it's safe for a VONC. So if we're in non-hellworld then Boris can be officially the least effective PM in history

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Tom Kibasi says the deal will probably lose with a small majority, and he's been right about everything so far so I'm going with that.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

jabby posted:

One wonders why he took his son with him to work and then decided to walk home through the huge remain protest.

It's an attempt to scar the kid so he develops an instinctive hatred of the proletariat who screamed nasty things at his daddy.

So, 'Super Saturday' turned into De Pfeffel arsing around for five minutes then crying and taking his ball home after the other neighbourhood kids scored the first goal then.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

God if this loving deal gets passed

I'm trying to not get too worked up about Brexit since every time I decide I know what is going to happen, something else happens the next day to make me think the opposite. But I don't feel good about this

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I get the feeling a lot of MPs are more scared of failing to deliver brexit than they are of any other brexit outcome

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

So I have no loving clue what actually happened today even after reading the BBC.
What was actually voted on today?

Boris put a bill forward to get parliament to say "we agree to the deal in principle so you don't need to get an extension"

It was amended to say "we might agree to it if you put it forward as complete legislation, go and get the extension anyway"

Next week he's trying to get some weird arrangement that undoes that, bercow is deciding whether he'll let it happen.

Following that, the deal is up for proper debate on tuesday. He's apparently arguing that if it passes that stage that counts as "agreeing to it" (though the state of the laws passed don't seem to support that imo?) and will likely seek to cancel the extension, which he can do if he gets parliament to "agree to the deal".

It's all tied up in the legalese of the amendments but I'd say it's still possible that the deal passes on tuesday but he still has to get it through the third reading, through the lords, and back to commons unamended before the 31st, if he wants to leave "on time"

There's also the issue that as soon as the EU gets back to the UK about the extension request he has to send tonight, the opposition could try to VONC him, which stops the whole thing in its tracks, which makes his deadline for getting everything through parliament "before the EU respond to the extension request"

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 19, 2019

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

ukle posted:

Other commentators agree with deal is likely to pass next week -

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1185576232605376512

Keep in mind this guy was tweeting rumours about DUP abstaining on letwin just a couple of hours ahead of the actual vote

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Won't somebody think of the :decorum: !!1!

https://twitter.com/andrealeadsom/status/1185572672538849281

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

marktheando posted:

I get the feeling a lot of MPs are more scared of failing to deliver brexit than they are of any other brexit outcome
Labour MPs yes.

Tory MPs are different. They can smell power - which is all most care about. If they can get this over the line, they are pretty much assured a majority and a free hand for a hard right Tory govt for the next 5 years.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Today the government put forward a motion to agree the new deal. Had it passed the Benn bill would have been satisfied and Boris wouldn't need to request an extension. And the government would have to get the actual withdrawal bill passed before October 31 to exit with the Boris deal.

But the motion passed (without division) after the Letwin amendment was approved. So the government must pass the necessary exit legislation (withdrawal bill) before a motion agreeing the deal can go through. The Benn bill is not satisfied and Boris "must" request an extension today.

The government wants to try the motion again on Monday to scupper the extension. (The extension letter can be withdrawn if a deal motion passes.) Bercow may not allow this vote because it's a repeat.

On Tuesday the government want the second reading of the withdrawal bill.

Err, hopefully some of this is right.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Tigey posted:

Labour MPs yes.

Tory MPs are different. They can smell power - which is all most care about. If they can get this over the line, they are pretty much assured a majority and a free hand for a hard right Tory govt for the next 5 years.

Labour MPs are by no means these altruistic creatures that are merely afraid. Some of them are also solely motivated by the prospect of power and to pretend otherwise is wrong.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/BalancePowerUK/status/1185582600842289152?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lmao

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Might wait for a more reliable source than evolve politics tbh.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Which one of you idiots cursed me to live in interesting times.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

Might wait for a more reliable source than evolve politics tbh.

Yeah fair. Posted it for the lols mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Well that tweet got deleted quickly