Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
My biggest regret on my first playthrough is that I never managed to fully upgrade the fat anodic beats for Egghead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

My biggest regret on my first playthrough is that I never managed to fully upgrade the fat anodic beats for Egghead.

Same.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

lmao I died in the first room

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Hub Cat posted:

So I tried not progressing the plot at all and there isn't a game ending time limit or at least not one within a reasonable playtime if anybody was worried about that

I'm up to day 10 of not progressing the plot and the only thing that has changed is the old royalist guy dying, the hardie boys and the cops from your station showing up at the hostel, and the jacket guys showing up

Good to know. I'll probably take my time on a second playthrough.

BBJoey posted:

Right proper ending spoilers:

At the very end of the game, second last piece of dialogue, I got an esprit de corps check of Captain Pryce and the precinct medic going through a list and concluding "Harry's our man, he'll pull through. When he does, he'll side with the people." Am I going out too far on a limb in thinking Precinct 41 is planning an insurrection of some sort? Or is that standard regardless of ideology?

I got that too. Not sure if it's dependant on any ideology. I chose not to ponder any of them.
It did say "Revachol" instead of "the people", if that's a direct quote.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Also I wonder when the alt right gamer brigade is going to find out this game allows you to embrace fascism but the motivation is directed By gut flora and the poo poo in your little intestines

It's also funny that the (ending spoiler) killer is basically a racist, women-hater hypocrite. Gamergate-esk.

Oxxidation posted:

and a question of my own - i read a few posts about a quest involving a drug-running operation. who gives that out? i'm on the verge of day 5 and while i've made good progress on the murder case and the church quest i haven't heard anything about the drugs

There is another way to find out about it not involving Joyce at all. So if you don't want to cooperate with her, you don't have to.

Mulva posted:

You're a big ol' Sad Boy, doing it Sad Style, rocking out to Sad FM. The only way you end up as machismo huffing jerk is if you decide to go that way. In which case, well, that's on you.

:emptyquote:

itry fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 19, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Man, I drank some booze to boost my Physique so I could crack open the ice cream freezer and get the programmer's off-site copy and it felt like such a profound personal failure :negative:

Next time I'm going to play a total drunk and addict, but this time Detective Dude was trying his best.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It was. :hai:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

grate deceiver posted:

There are two things I'm just going to flat out spoil to literally everyone.

You should absolutely make sure the music boys drop their drug plans and start a dance club and you should make sure that the lady researching the church stays with them.

-and-

Dance.

This is where the beat plunged. It will resurface soon. Brace for glory.

e: I can not imagine playing this game through as an rear end in a top hat, it seems so profoundly wrong.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 19, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god thanks to Inexplicable Feminist Agenda I’ve gotten Gerte and Sylvie together. What the gently caress amI even doing?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

grate deceiver posted:

If you try to arrest them in the tent, Eggheads mask slips for a second. You can still back out, but it's worth seeing.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

For some reason, talking to the old woman lorry driver near 2 o'clock stopped time from advancing, so now I apparently have forever to explore the city? Or maybe time is still counting in the background, and I'm just not seeing it?

Knocked Measurehead out, went into the office - the union head isn't there, you can't actually leave without talking to him, and time doesn't advance. Good thing I had another save.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Xander77 posted:

For some reason, talking to the old woman lorry driver near 2 o'clock stopped time from advancing, so now I apparently have forever to explore the city? Or maybe time is still counting in the background, and I'm just not seeing it?

Knocked Measurehead out, went into the office - the union head isn't there, you can't actually leave without talking to him, and time doesn't advance. Good thing I had another save.

You can leave, there's a card near the coffee machine or whatever that will let you out the gate, had the same issue earlier when I spent most of the day mucking about.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Xander77 posted:

I had time frozen as well at one point, which I suspect was due to the gaming setting up a certain event that happened shortly after.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my little adventure that started in the bookstore's backroom was a loving trip, i tell you what (full-game spoilers)

- there is a curse
- there's not a curse
- there might be a curse, but for now let's say "no"
- there is a germinating seed of nothingness within the district's very architecture that is devouring the concept of good fortune from all within its sphere of influence like water swirling down an open plughole
- curse??????

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Neurosis posted:

I had time frozen as well at one point, which I suspect was due to the gaming setting up a certain event that happened shortly after.

Never mind. I just had it happen on a replay as well. May every day will just freeze then?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

How exactly do I learn that I can pick up "tare"? I got the frittte bag, I've inspected the tare machine, talked to the sales girl... but haven't been able to pick up any bottles anywhere, despite being a hobocop.

Edit - Ah, you have to equip the bag first?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Xander77 posted:

How exactly do I learn that I can pick up "tare"? I got the frittte bag, I've inspected the tare machine, talked to the sales girl... but haven't been able to pick up any bottles anywhere, despite being a hobocop.

You have to equip the bag and most bottles should become interacteable, then you just pick them up like any other inventory object.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

That reminds me. When I found a corpse surrounded by bottles, and had the bag in my hand, Kim superficially pointed it out, that NO, we were not going to collect these bottles.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Now that time has frozen, I'm just re-exploring every dialog option to exhaustion. Finally got the insufferable centrist and fascist options.

*Fascism* sounds so bad though. What if we called it something else? Like, uhm, *traditionalism*?

Also, where do I get a map? I thought digging the ledger out of the trash mentioned the map, but I still can't actually use it.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 19, 2019

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Started the game with the sensitive archetype, but he's a bit too impulsive, he could use some more booksmarts, what's a more balanced build?

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Looks like every night stops at 2am, and won't go to the next day until you sleep. Was an excellent time to read up on what kind of cockatoo I was.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Very end of the game spoilers What happens if you succeed on the Inland roll with the creature? I had a 97% chance that failed and my save wasn't recent enough for me to want to reload

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

You get a pretty touching conversation with the phasmid, I highly recommend going back to replay it.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
And done.

Amazing.

The very end was a little pat, but everything else? Just grand.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Finished my first playthrough holy poo poo this game.

Encounter on small island near end of the game question: there is a composure check with the communist soldier to notice he's surprisingly coherent considering he's been more or less alone for 40 years, but I didn't get a followup to that observation. Is there more to the mystery/him?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Finished my first playthrough holy poo poo this game.

Encounter on small island near end of the game question: there is a composure check with the communist soldier to notice he's surprisingly coherent considering he's been more or less alone for 40 years, but I didn't get a followup to that observation. Is there more to the mystery/him?

yes, with the right choices (or conversation checks? i dont remember the specifics) you find out why and how thats related to the insect

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Xander77 posted:

Time never advances in the background. It only advances during dialogue. (And also apparently it stop advancing for good each night at 2 AM.)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can you actually make enough money to buy the streetlight? I don't see any reason to do it, just curious.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Can you actually make enough money to buy the streetlight? I don't see any reason to do it, just curious.

If you sell every item you find, beg for money at every opportunity and get all the bottles with the hobo bonus, I think it could be doable.

Also last act reminder: go to sleep in the tower before leaving, otherwise you'll miss the final boss battle.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah, the clock only moves from 0730 to 0200.

Unless you're Kim, in which case you wake up before 0700. Probably goes through his notes too.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Whatever you do, don't run out of money to pay rent on the second day. If you don't have enough to cover it by 2 AM, you're stuck and will need to load an older save.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I never tried it, but can't you sleep on the bench?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

grate deceiver posted:

Nope.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

grate deceiver posted:

not even with Hobocop thought

devs really messed up that one

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Whatever you do, don't run out of money to pay rent on the second day. If you don't have enough to cover it by 2 AM, you're stuck and will need to load an older save.

That, uh, is quite the oversight considering the rest of the game.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I smelled a rat the moment I was told the rent rules, so getting and keeping enough cash was m first priority for day 2.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

They do tell you it's "game-over", but yeah, pretty weird and inelegant.
I haven't done it, but I assumed you could sleep in the dumpster.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Where are the gauntlets btw, it's the only item I didn't find

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Talk to the little girl in the fishing village

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I like how you can mention you're wearing the boots to Kim after he explicitly told you not to take them and he just tells you he was trying really hard not to mention it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

the tie did not fail me