Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Gaunab posted:

I'm going to have to start streaming jeopardy or something because I can't take these Trump Ukraine ads my local affiliate airs during the show.
Do you have DVRs where you live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Yes we have them but I'm very broke and don't want to pay extra for it.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I saw Alex at an event last weekend. It was the 25th anniversary of the Great Canadian Geography Challenge (our version of the National Geography Bee).

Alex was the moderator for like 16 years, and as it turns out had donated a few hundred thousand dollars to keep the finals a live event when it ran into financial trouble. I had no idea he was so passionate about geographic education but man, he was into it. Anyhow, he actually did look pretty great for a 78 year old man undergoing chemo. He spoke well without slurring for 10 minutes or so, took photos with everyone, received the first Alex Trebek Medal in the Alex Trebek Theatre... he looked well despite everything.

I know that chemotherapy and radiotherapy frequently gives you a boost of energy as your tumors go into partial remission. I also know that metastatic pancreatic cancer is a death sentence; the five year survival is 3%. The ONE year survival is 20% and that includes all ages. We will be lucky to get another season with Alex as host. But a rich dude with access to Cedars-Sinai has the best chance of any person, so hope... exists?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Is it just me or has there been a different feel to the clues this season? There have been a lot of categories where it seems like they just doesn't fit in with the normal Jeopardy feel. Maybe some veteran cluemaker retired between seasons.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Poque posted:

Is it just me or has there been a different feel to the clues this season? There have been a lot of categories where it seems like they just doesn't fit in with the normal Jeopardy feel. Maybe some veteran cluemaker retired between seasons.

You're not wrong, a lot of the categories and clues have seemed far too cutesy and it feels like writers going "ha ha, look how loving smart I am."

Albino Squirrel posted:

I know that chemotherapy and radiotherapy frequently gives you a boost of energy as your tumors go into partial remission.

Speaking as someone undergoing treatment for a brain tumor that thankfully hasn't metastasized, yes and no. It's more that once you get through the hellish side-effects of each round of treatment, you feel like a new person again, just because you aren't spending all day either in bed or in the bathroom.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Timby posted:

You're not wrong, a lot of the categories and clues have seemed far too cutesy and it feels like writers going "ha ha, look how loving smart I am."

Speaking as someone undergoing treatment for a brain tumor that thankfully hasn't metastasized, yes and no. It's more that once you get through the hellish side-effects of each round of treatment, you feel like a new person again, just because you aren't spending all day either in bed or in the bathroom.

JFC.... my thoughts are with you, dude. gently caress cancer. You got this.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm so sorry to hear, Timby. All the best.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I lost my father to cancer this past July after 5+ years. He was originally given 12-18 months on his original esophageal cancer diagnosis. He was the toughest person I've ever known. He did radiation, chemo, you name it. That tough old guy kept plugging along.

Cancer is a son of a bitch, and feel free to IM me if you ever just need someone to talk to, Timby.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Poque posted:

There's been a lack of destination video clues, and they've probably written a lot of clues that are simpler for Alex to read out and not trip over.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Might as well have been asking what two times two is for final jeopardy tonight, drat

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Iron Crowned posted:

Might as well have been asking what two times two is for final jeopardy tonight, drat

Yeah, there’ve been a bunch of pretty difficult Finals this year, and this one was a slow fastball right over the middle of the plate.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Poque posted:

A new co–head writer, but she's been with the show since 1991
https://www.vulture.com/2019/10/jeopardy-michele-loud-head-writer-alex-trebek-interview.html

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So has the network said anything official yet that once Trebek can no longer host if they will reboot it with a new host or will Jeopardy as we know it stop?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

vincentpricesboner posted:

So has the network said anything official yet that once Trebek can no longer host if they will reboot it with a new host or will Jeopardy as we know it stop?

Jeopardy is wildly popular and makes a poo poo-ton of money through syndication, because it runs in essentially every market known to man in the United States, no matter which network the channel is affiliated with, doesn't matter if it's NBC or CBS or ABC or FOX. I guarantee you there have been succession plans developed since before the minute Trebek publicly announced that he had pancreatic cancer, and there's no doubt that he disclosed the recurrence and his (almost certainly grim) prognosis when it returned before he did his TV announcement. But, again, that being said, Jeopardy is not an expensive show to produce; it runs for like nine months out of the year, but they've been taping five episodes a day for two days a week since God knows when.

I am absolutely certain that Sony and CBS have, either jointly or independently, very quietly auditioned prospective hosts (as well as announcers; Johnny Gilbert is 95 so he's already well-beyond borrowed time in terms of male life expectancy). Because as much as it sucks to imagine, Trebek has probably taped episodes into ... I don't know, maybe early January at the farthest but more likely December-ish, but he himself admitted that he's running out of time.

Timby fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 18, 2019

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

IIRC there was a fairly believable rumor going around during contract negotiations a few years back that Matt Lauer would be Alex's eventual replacement, which obviously won't be happening now (thank god).

I'd like it to be Ken Jennings or Brad Rutter, but among those two Rutter is probably the one who'd actually want the job.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Make it John Hodgman.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

DoctorWhat posted:

Make it John Hodgman.

LeVar Burton

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

GhostStalker posted:

LeVar Burton

This continues to be the best answer. He's got just the right balance of dorky and personable.

Only thing working against him is he's older than Trebek was when he started. But whatever. Live TV might be dead by then anyway.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
It feels right that a former great player should be the new host.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

1glitch0 posted:

Strong disagree

EDIT:
Do we really want someone like James to host Jeopardy?

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 18, 2019

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Iron Crowned posted:

Strong disagree

EDIT:

I'd go for Ken Jennings since he always seemed like the obvious choice even before Alex's health issues, but personally I'd be fine with James or Brad.

And although it would never happen I'd love the studio to let Alex choose his successor.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Strong disagree

EDIT:

The difference between Ken and James, though, is that James has zero personality.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
My wife and I would probably stop watching if they put James as host.

They won’t do that though, they’ll hire a celebrity just like Price is Right hired Drew Carey. Yes, different formats and whatever, but a good enough example.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

It'll definitely be Ken and that's fine; I just hope it's clean and dignified and Alex gets the send-off he deserves and it's not like he shows up one day and just can't do it anymore and there's chaos for the contestants and a scramble to sign the new guy and reschedule everything.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I like Ken Jennings but he does not have the room presence of a pro.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Craig Ferguson.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

GhostStalker posted:

LeVar Burton

I’m mad at you for saying this because he’s so perfect that now I’m going to be sad when it doesn’t happen.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Ken has too controversial a twitter feed for Jeopardy's old people fan base.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

HookShot posted:

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/654764637968162816

The claim checks out.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
How about Colby Burnett?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

1glitch0 posted:

I think that with the amount of interaction with each other that former megachamps have online on social media and in person at like trivia events, having one being the host of Jeopardy would probably run afoul of federal anti-game show rigging rules, preventing any sort of mega tournament featuring them from being held soon after Alex is replaced, and that would likely not be something that Harry Friedman would want to give up as a way to boost ratings at that time.

1glitch0 posted:

And although it would never happen I'd love the studio to let Alex choose his successor.

Alex did put forward a couple of names in an interview a couple years back before the cancer news hit, when the renewal of his contract hadn’t even official yet. I remember that one was a woman who was a local sports broadcaster? I forget the exact details of who he put forward.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 18, 2019

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

They won’t do that though, they’ll hire a celebrity just like Price is Right hired Drew Carey. Yes, different formats and whatever, but a good enough example.
If they did, I hope they would get someone completely overqualified like Michael McKean

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HookShot posted:

Beyond that, Ken Jennings has a far too pervading "look how loving smarter I am than you" vibe. I'd bet money that he's auditioned, but the producers aren't going with a weirdo like Ken, and James would be the most annoying host in television history, if for no other reason than he'd be getting wildly pissed at contestants taking too long to pick a clue (and he'd probably be going insane at betting strategy and then he'd leap out from the podium to throttle someone the minute he realized they didn't have their buzzer game going).

I believe Trebek mentioned Laura Coates, from CNN, specifically, as a potential replacement, and I wouldn't have an issue with that in any way. Especially because Trebek himself has said that he fully expects the new host to be a woman.

Timby fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 19, 2019

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

GhostStalker posted:

I think that with the amount of interaction with each other that former megachamps have online on social media and in person at like trivia events, having one being the host of Jeopardy would probably run afoul of federal anti-game show rigging rules, preventing any sort of mega tournament featuring them from being held soon after Alex is replaced, and that would likely not be something that Harry Friedman would want to give up as a way to boost ratings at that time.

Alex did put forward a couple of names in an interview a couple years back before the cancer news hit, when the renewal of his contract hadn’t even official yet. I remember that one was a woman who was a local sports broadcaster? I forget the exact details of who he put forward.

He recommended Alex Faust who is the LA Kings Play-by-Play caller on Fox Sports West. When asked for a female candidate, I believe he gave someone from a CNN political show but I forgot who.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Timby posted:

Beyond that, Ken Jennings has a far too pervading "look how loving smarter I am than you" vibe. I'd bet money that he's auditioned, but the producers aren't going with a weirdo like Ken, and James would be the most annoying host in television history.

I believe Trebek mentioned Laura Coates, from CNN, specifically, as a potential replacement, and I wouldn't have an issue with that in any way. Especially because Trebek himself has said that he fully expects the new host to be a woman.

Laura Coates would be great. But they are gonna go the loving Drew Carey route and ruin Jeopardy forever.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Anderson Cooper would be a good choice but I don't think he'd be interested.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I want somebody who's capable at pronunciations and hosting to start, but isn't super known for being smart, so in 20 years after hosting 300 episodes a year they get noticeably smarter.

Like give me Paul Rudd crazy smart at age 70

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I support team Levar. I think he would be an awesome host.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Poque posted:

I want somebody who's capable at pronunciations and hosting to start, but isn't super known for being smart, so in 20 years after hosting 300 episodes a year they get noticeably smarter.

Like give me Paul Rudd crazy smart at age 70

Having just watched Rudd on Hot Ones a few hours ago, I fully support this. I have yet to encounter a single person who has ever disliked him, and I realize Alex is probably the only other celebrity I can say that about. He'd also probably look exactly the same at 70 if the last 25 years are any indication.

Goober Peas posted:

I support team Levar. I think he would be an awesome host.

This is also a great choice, with a bonus for severely pissing off my racist family.

EDIT: I (not entirely seriously) submit Dwayne Johnson as another contender. Dude has won me over in the last few years and he is surprisingly articulate and intelligent, especially given what you would assume just looking at him (same goes for Vin Diesel).

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Anderson Cooper would be a good choice but I don't think he'd be interested.

In Hellworld timeline somehow the new host of Jeopardy is Wolf Blitzer.

edit: Actually, I know a lot of people around here don't like him, but I'd be fine with Chris Hardwick.