Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

also requiring degrees to be a cop would just result in more dipshit cops like vermis that get loving film degrees lol

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Watch out, that criminal is threatening to unleash French New Wave Cinema on the public!

*VV smiles and adjusts his mirrored aviators, knowing this is precisely what he was meant for in life*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Internet Wizard posted:

Also also no MPs they’re clearly mentally unsuitable if they volunteered for that.

Can confirm.

Does Cage Kicker still post here?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

A Bad Poster posted:

Or becoming a cop is akin to jury duty. Your number gets pulled out of a hat, you have to be a cop for a year. Increase the pay so it's something people would actually not mind doing, and provide them free training.

Before implementing this, disarm the police forces around the country, with the exception of small state level SWAT teams that answer to the governor.

Disarm everyone or you have accountants and cashiers responding to active shooter situations.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Internet Wizard posted:

Any vet wanting to become a cop needs to go through extensive screening and retraining. Vets shouldn’t be allowed to keep moving into the police force and perpetuating their mentality of being a foreign occupying force separate from the civilians they monitor.

Also any cop that says “civilian” as if it’s something they the cop is not should be kicked out.

Also also no MPs they’re clearly mentally unsuitable if they volunteered for that.

lol, I was an MP, then became a cop. You're right.

Policing by sortition sounds pretty legit, though.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Chichevache posted:

Disarm everyone or you have accountants and cashiers responding to active shooter situations.

Yes, that's the next step.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I'd rather take my chances with the accountants and cashiers than our unaccountable death squads

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

A Bad Poster posted:

Or becoming a cop is akin to jury duty. Your number gets pulled out of a hat, you have to be a cop for a year. Increase the pay so it's something people would actually not mind doing, and provide them free training.

Before implementing this, disarm the police forces around the country, with the exception of small state level SWAT teams that answer to the governor.

Grem posted:

Policing by sortition sounds pretty legit, though.

I like the idea, too. I expect most good faith ACABs will get a bit of reality perspective that they lack, and a good chunk of the bad faith ACABs will out themselves as temporarily embarrassed authoritarians.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 14, 2022

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The SWAT mission set should be given back to the NG or something.

The actual mission set of serious emergencies like terror attacks and the like, not serving warrants for non-violent crimes.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

We need an entire new civil service that isn't cops to deal with things like welfare checks, minor traffic infractions etc. Glorified meter maids don't need loving ar 15s.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

We need an entire new civil service that isn't cops to deal with things like welfare checks, minor traffic infractions etc. Glorified meter maids don't need loving ar 15s.

So like the Euro model of most cops being unarmed and armed officers being rigorously screened and trained (on paper anyways I have no idea how well done this actually is).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Chichevache posted:

Keep separate armed units that only respond to things like this.

Joe Bob Patrol Officer not being armed stands to reduce unnecessary homicides by at least a thousand a year, which would be a 5-10% reduction in the overall homicide rate.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Internet Wizard posted:

So like the Euro model of most cops being unarmed

People keep saying this, but it's just not true. The UK, Ireland and Norway are the exception, not the rule. The vast majority of Euro police are armed.

Similarly, I've never heard or read anyone advocate for police sortition, police abolishment, prison abolishment, or firing cops who ever use there gun here. That seems to be a purely American (online?) response to police brutality. A lot of the radical solutions proposed here would get laughed out of parliament by all 14 parties, left to right.

Now what the countries that do better on police behaviour actually do differently I don't exactly know. Centralization and unification of standards, more extensive training (absolute lowest level patrolman takes 18 months split between 50/50 between academy and internships) are probably part of it.

AlexanderCA fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 18, 2019

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Plus, the UK has the proper attitude and refers to cops as the Filth.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://etvnews.com/price-city-selects-brandon-sicilia-as-new-chief-of-police/

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

thank god someone is doing something police corruption

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The thing they dont tell you about line of duty deaths is that it includes being so fat you have a heartattack sitting at the radio at the station and dying

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Stravag posted:

The thing they dont tell you about line of duty deaths is that it includes being so fat you have a heartattack sitting at the radio at the station and dying

loving lol no way

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

There was a beau about it. It may have been the militarization of the police vids im not sure. Listened to about 50 of his vids in the last few days

quote:

Natural Causes: Any law enforcement officer who dies of natural causes (heart attack, brain aneurysm, etc.) 

Stravag fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 19, 2019

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

"Thank God veterans are doing something about the massive costs of the VA."

That's essentially what you said, just applied to vets rather than cops. Maybe that one hits close enough to home to realize what you said. In this subforum that supposedly promotes seeking out mental health and has people who work to try to reduce suicides.

gently caress off.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 19, 2019

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Bored As gently caress posted:

That's essentially what you said, just applied to vets rather than cops. Maybe that one hits close enough to home to realize what you said. In this subforum that supposedly promotes seeking out mental health and has people who work to try to reduce suicides.

gently caress off.

He’s right though

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

gently caress off.

We try pretty loving hard to make the VA better. Cops tend to stand in line with their murder happy coworkers lol

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

gently caress off.

dead vets don't need benefits

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I don't believe in anything I'm just here for the free mental health care

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

This is really gross and lovely.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ACAB and all but yeah that's a lovely take, mental health isn't a joke here.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
That number doesn't seem that high to be honest, and adds another tick mark in the column of "take guns away from the cops."

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

EBB posted:

ACAB and all but yeah that's a lovely take, mental health isn't a joke here.

how about the PTSD that police abuse imparts on the citizens they're supposed to protect

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

drat the people of my community react negatively to me physically abusing them, better kill myself lol

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Internet Wizard posted:

So like the Euro model of most cops being unarmed and armed officers being rigorously screened and trained (on paper anyways I have no idea how well done this actually is).

That’s only the U.K., most countries are more superficially similar to the US but have way stricter centralized certification, training, oversight and hiring.

Like German cops actually have way more leeway to detain and investigate people but most people are okay with that since they’re far more trusted and in the Scandinavian countries cops that fire a weapon are waaaay more scrutinized, I think a cop when to jail for a few months because even though it was a “good shoot” he fired and missed without considering his backdrop putting a few bullets into a school.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 19, 2019

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Hey, here's a crazy loving idea: Don't make loving jokes about loving suicide.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/talentedvoter/status/1185534586924814342?s=21

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Using a video edited to start in the middle of the event is exactly the same as using edited body cam footage to implicate the suspect/victim in police assault cases.

Congrats, you're a cop.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Using a video edited to start in the middle of the event is exactly the same as using edited body cam footage to implicate the suspect/victim in police assault cases.

Congrats, you're a cop.

In a sea of bad posts and dumb takes, I’ve found a big ole fish.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

we could be missing vital context, maybe those firefighters deserved it

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Both sides, both sides

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Godholio posted:

Congrats, you're a cop.

Using cop tactics against cops?!? In the court of public opinion? Never!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
sometimes striking workers are rude. In those cases, police should

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Godholio posted:

Congrats, you're a cop.

I love that the acknowledged bad thing you can be compared to, in the cop thread, is a cop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don’t think starting a strike video at a certain time is quite the same as police editing footage to cover up a killing but I guess I’m not a good thinker