Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
oi, nix the chatter about sacrifices! the thread tag's gonna come out five-dimensional and crow is gonna have to try again in a fortnight with twelve pigeons! nobody here wants that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT PICTURE OF ME?!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So that's why you occasionally ended your sentences with "hoot" whenever we recorded. Thought something was a bit off but I couldn't put my finger on what exactly.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Mraagvpeine posted:

What kind of god accepts rabbits as a sacrifice? A goat is better, and more traditional.
Wedding cakes used to be a form of sacrifice.

Some people may argue they still are.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

All he has to do to make it work perfectly is sacrifice a spine.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

All he has to do to make it work perfectly is sacrifice a spine.
Hard to find one around here.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Huh, was not aware a mod could probate themselves. It's regarding the New LP thread.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Huh, was not aware a mod could probate themselves. It's regarding the New LP thread.

Yep. It's a thing. GBS mods self-probate all the time. Mods can also still probate people while on probation themselves.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mraagvpeine posted:

i am happy to have been informative :D

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Does this mean a mod could ban themselves, or can they not self-terminate?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
They can queue a ban for themselves but only admins can confirm and execute bans.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So its suicide by cop then

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

masturprobation amirite

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

I Am The Golf Lord, Lord of All The Golf, All Golfers Tremble Before Me

We're going to do this a little differently and put the us back in let's play.

Here's how it's going to work:

We're going to play a different golf game every week. I'll generally try to limit it to groups of four people but we'll do some special exhibitions on games that allow for more.

There are four teams:

1) Grandma Party
2) A person of Grandma Party's choosing who he thinks would be fun;
3) The first responder; and
4) A person who earns their spot through deeds or charity. And if no one does, second responder gets it.

We're all going to play the same golf game at a designated time. For now, it's going to be Saturday at 4 PM CST. I will do a different time on some weeks for people on the other side of the ponds.

Results will be kept and tallied for each team. Final team gets a trophy with their team name on it. It's going to live at my house as a reminder of my eventual triumph (or shame.) Probably triumph, because I'm really, really good at video golf. All of it.

Since you pick what game you get to be in, I get to pick the course we play.

And we're going to play a lot of golf. And I'll take suggestions.

Golf List So Far
Golf With Your Friends
Golf It
Neo Turf Masters
Ribbit King
100 Foot Robot Golf
Everybody's Golf
Spheda
What the Golf
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Ninja Pro Am

How Are We Going to Do This?

I pick a golf game for that week on a given day. I announce a time. First responder here gets to be in it. And I'll also issue a challenge or do a target charity. $10 or dignity gets you in. Your pick.

If two or more people issue the challenge or do the charitable donation, they fight each other first. Winner moves on to the final round with the other teams.

Videos will be recorded at the same time. I'm testing out different ways to do it. Make sure you have some way to twitch/stream.

How can we make it spicy?

Oh, I'm glad you asked. Because I'm an idiot and like to make bets. Bets that involve dignity. And if you issue challenges, I'll probably respond.

And most of all, let's have fun.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 7, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Yes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Update: the sacrifice was successful. We have the twitter thread tag.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

nine-gear crow posted:

Update: the sacrifice was successful. We have the twitter thread tag.

We even got it twice!

Oh my god crow, you're the best! <3

Can you give it to my thread please?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

That was weird. For brief time I couldn't post in the LP forums.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

The admins are idiots who break everything.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Serious answer: one of the admins accidentally closed the forum to posting while doing some panel stuff, but the error has been corrected and the posting faucet has been turned on once again.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
To be fair, because of Radium's coding, you have perform a complex blood magic ritual every time you want to change anything on Something Awful without opening a portal to hell.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

my dad posted:

To be fair, because of Radium's coding, you have perform a complex blood magic ritual every time you want to change anything on Something Awful without opening a portal to hell.

You can't go to hell if you're already there.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

This was the price paid for the thread tag.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am so sorry. It was me. I was trying to create two new subs and I accidentally misread and I cannot believe how clutzy I was.

My humblest apologies.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
In fairness, we probably all deserved it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

LP forum is back up, but the Games forum is down. I can't access 3 threads I have bookmarked. Checking the Games forum, I don't even see them. I think they got deleted somehow, but still show up in my bookmarks...

The threads are:
Son Of iOS Games Megathread
Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius - Don't Post in this Thread; Hoard for the Next
Pokemon GO: This release rate is looking pretty Tepig, Unovatimean?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

LP forum is back up, but the Games forum is down. I can't access 3 threads I have bookmarked. Checking the Games forum, I don't even see them. I think they got deleted somehow, but still show up in my bookmarks...

The threads are:
Son Of iOS Games Megathread
Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius - Don't Post in this Thread; Hoard for the Next
Pokemon GO: This release rate is looking pretty Tepig, Unovatimean?

They've been moved to our brand new Compulsive Gambling Garbage Hole Mobile Gaming Subforum

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

They've been moved to our brand new Compulsive Gambling Garbage Hole Mobile Gaming Subforum

I can't access that, either.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Give it a try in a few minutes. I think it should be working. I made both a retro sub forum and a mobile games sub forum (this is partly what affected me knocking out Let’s Play). The forums just takes a bit of time to propagate changes.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Hey, I have a test post!

So, what's all this then?

This is AI: The Somnium Files, a visual novel / puzzle type game by Spike Chunsoft, released for the PS4, the Switch and the PC in September of 2019. It was directed by Kotaro Uchikoshi.

That Uchikoshi?

That Uchikoshi - most known for directing the Zero Escape series and mind-melting plots and twists therein.

So what's this game about?

Well, as far as gameplay is concerned, we're looking at a game that mixes the investigation segments from Danganronpa (look around an area from a fixed position, checking out items in the scene and talking to people) with strange puzzle segments where you have to search for solutions to problems in people's dreams, with all the bizarre dream logic that follows from that. It actually works really well.

As for the story, you play detective Kaname Date, an investigator with a cybereye that has a revolutionary AI named Aiba (short for AI-Ball - get it, AI-Ball, eye ball?) in it that helps him in his investigations. Date and Aiba begin the game investigating a murder, and things just repeatedly escalate from there. It's an Uchikoshi game. Expect poo poo to get nuts. Also expect lots of AI / eye puns.

And what about the LP?

In a departure from what I usually do, this LP will be done in video form with subtitled commentary. I thought a lot about it, and I eventually came to the conclusion that this format has more benefits than a standard VLP (the voiceacting is really good and the game is a lot more "active" - there's a lot going on that is more difficult to convey in screenshots) and also avoids some serious drawbacks (the dialogue headshots use the same 3D models as the characters themselves, meaning there is no sprite rip, meaning I would've had to manually cut out all those expressions, meaning I would've thrown myself out a window halfway through). I will obviously be editing when necessary.

Spoiler pol-

NO NO NO NO NO! NO SPOILERS EVER! And don't even think about being cute about it. I can tell. I've been that fucker that gets cute about spoilers. I've been him several times within my own LPs. I know. No spoilers, not even under tags.

Anyway, with that said, let's get going.

This is a link to the first video, I might make some graphics for it later but not now

Sandcastle notes:

Well, this is the first time I've ever done anything with video beyond "record, maybe cut something out, and dump it onto Youtube", so anything I hosed up is good to hear. In particular, I'm still worrying if the subtitles are readable because I can skim really fast and I can't assume anything from that.

Also, I noticed that I said the BGM gets a bit heavy on the "default language", which makes no sense. So don't point that out.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TheMcD posted:

Hey, I have a test post!

It is pleasing to my eye.

Any plans to link the Lemniscate YouTube videos?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

TheMcD posted:

Hey, I have a test post!

I find it simultaneously a bit barren and too busy.

You have subtitles while the game is showing text, which makes it hard to decide what to follow. Maybe hold back while the game is speaking and don’t advance the game when you are? Speed of subtitles is otherwise fine.

At the same time, investigation is very quiet, just a bit of clinky-clanky music. You say there will be more dialog later, so it may not be a problem. I can just see myself slightly zoning out during these bits and not catch the text. Might just be me, though.

Should otherwise be interesting, though!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hwurmp posted:

Any plans to link the Lemniscate YouTube videos?

I'll have to actually check them out and read up on them first. I've heard they're part of some ARG, but that's about all I know at this point.

klafbang posted:

I find it simultaneously a bit barren and too busy.

You have subtitles while the game is showing text, which makes it hard to decide what to follow. Maybe hold back while the game is speaking and don’t advance the game when you are? Speed of subtitles is otherwise fine.

At the same time, investigation is very quiet, just a bit of clinky-clanky music. You say there will be more dialog later, so it may not be a problem. I can just see myself slightly zoning out during these bits and not catch the text. Might just be me, though.

Should otherwise be interesting, though!

The main problem is that I record, and then I do the subtitles. I don't plan out the subtitles beforehand because otherwise my recording sessions would become a lot more complicated. Instead, I let the auto text advance do its thing and work from there. I'll have to see what I can do about having subtitles while the game is showing text, because the game is showing text most of the time. Those kinds of lulls aren't that common. On the other hand, the quietness is kind of intentional. I'm very much going with "if I don't have anything to say, don't say anything" and am not against leaving dead air.

I can however be pretty certain in saying that if there is something important being investigated, there will be dialogue. So you can at least notice that way if you should be paying attention.

Anybody else have some feedback? I'll take what I can get right now.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I had issues with subtitling as well, when I started using them. I think you really have to get into the habit of leaving a bit of dead air intentionally for subtitles, whether you plan to use them or not. Thinking ahead and planning when you think you'll have something relevant to say is extremely helpful, but at worst, you leave a bit of a gap every time something interesting happens and then don't say anything. It gives the audience a bit of thinking time.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Nidoking posted:

I had issues with subtitling as well, when I started using them. I think you really have to get into the habit of leaving a bit of dead air intentionally for subtitles, whether you plan to use them or not. Thinking ahead and planning when you think you'll have something relevant to say is extremely helpful, but at worst, you leave a bit of a gap every time something interesting happens and then don't say anything. It gives the audience a bit of thinking time.

I'll have to see how I can make that work. I'm relying on the auto text advance to leave the non-spoken text on screen long enough to read, meaning I'd probably have to repeatedly turn it on and off, which could get annoying. I guess I'll just have to manually advance text and hopefully get it right.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's a tricky balance though, too much time will leave your viewer bored waiting for the next line. For what it's worth I didn't have trouble reading along with your test video.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
Hey, folks! I've been reading and watching these LP's for quite a time now, and I figured it was about time I chipped in with an LP of my own.

I 've got a OP and a first update completed and a second one being finished, but I was looking to gather an opinion on what I've got. The first update has a bit of tutorials, but it ended up being shorter than the second update and what the third update will end up being thanks to lots and lots of :words:, so I went with it. Part of me worries that the OP is a bit too wordy, but I've also seen some very long OP posts before, so I'm a bit conflicted on the matter.

In regard to the portrait sizes, nobody seems to have ever ripped sprites or music from this game from what I could find, and since I have no experience with PSP file formats, I had to do the portraits the hard way. They're still at 100x100, which is as small as I can go before resizing it down (which completely destroys them)- are they fine at this size? I know I've seen concerns expressed about them being larger than 75x75 before.

I've also got music links to the soundtrack hosted at the music archives on KHinsider. I was also wondering if these are fine, or if I'll need to handle the music in a different manner, since I've never read a SSLP that used it.

If there's anything that needs changed, I'd rather have to do that now before I get knee-deep into this LP. Any advice would be helpful!

Links to test posts:
OP: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=155294
Update 1: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=155285

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hey, I went back and edited the first episode down a bit to reduce the amount of dialogue / subtitles crossover, and made a second episode with that feedback in mind. Also, I made some pictures for the videos. Could somebody take a look and see if this improved things somewhat, or if there's still something I should work on? It seems like the second episode has a fairly low amount of commentary, but maybe that'll just be the way it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

The Flying Twybil posted:

Look on my works, ye mighty

I think it's fine in terms of wordiness. Intro updates usually are more wordy than others because of tutorial stuff and setting up story/setting. I like that you have Gifs to break up the screenshots (although I can't check the file sizes of them at the moment since I'm on tablet. I assume they are fairly small based on load time).

The screenshots are kind of small though. I know that's native PSP, but it makes for difficult reading. That's more a personal complaint though. I know that PSP is tricky since enlarging the screenshots too much can really make 3D stuff look horrid. It's just something that stood out to me.

Portraits don't look bad. 100x100 should be fine as long as the file size stays low. It is possible to rip the assets from a PSP file using software, but I don't have the experience with it to offer much help. I do need to look into messing with it soon for an LP of my own, so if I figure something out then I'll get back to you (assuming you aren't too far in by that point).

Also I hate VC2. :colbert: Especially Avan.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 22, 2019