Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Phanatic posted:

It's a book review. The extended quote is from the book:

https://www.amazon.com/Against-Grain-History-Earliest-States/dp/030024021X

Author's a professor of agrarian studies at Yale. I don't think he's alt-right adjacent through anything, but I could be wrong.
He's a professor of political science. He co-directs the "agrarian studies" program, which if it's anything like the similar programs at my university would draw on many departments

in addition to peasants into frenchmen, someone on twitter brought up this essay in response to the wishes he were a peasant guy, and darnton is always good

http://www.justinecassell.com/CC_Winter04/pdfs/darnton_peasants.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It's not even about gaining weight or being fat, the gut microbiome changes in response to diet. Eating hunks of starch or sugar creates a spike in freely accessible sugar, changing the bacterial makeup of the gut.

Weight gain is being observed in a variety of non-human species as well, including in lab populations whose diets are controlled.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3081766/pdf/rspb20101890.pdf

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

MikeCrotch posted:

One real important thing to remember is that even if a peasant is eating better quality raw ingredients, they are probably eating the same stuff every single day. That's gonna get old real quick.

This was actually not true for the agrarian peasantry, iirc. Middle age farming was mostly subsistence farming, not monoculture cash crop stuff. The peasants also had a habit of fishing, scavenging, and animal husbandry on the side, and as far as I know actually had a varied diet.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It's processed because a process has occurred
The process is called cooking. The word you're looking for is "cooked" garbage.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Siivola posted:

The process is called cooking. The word you're looking for is "cooked" garbage.

Thank you, but that is what I call english food

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Polyakov posted:

The essential plan is that if you take Basra you set off a Shiite insurrection in southern Iraq which would then mean that The People Will Rise Up and overthrow Saddam permitting them to drive up the Euphrates to Baghdad.

Why the euphrates and not the tigris?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Milo and POTUS posted:

probably because you can surround Baghdad if you can get over the Tigris and pull up to the Euphrates

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Dance Officer posted:

This was actually not true for the agrarian peasantry, iirc. Middle age farming was mostly subsistence farming, not monoculture cash crop stuff. The peasants also had a habit of fishing, scavenging, and animal husbandry on the side, and as far as I know actually had a varied diet.
to some extent

edit: this was sarcasm, read the png

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 19, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dance Officer posted:

probably because you can surround Baghdad if you can get over the Tigris and pull up to the Euphrates

That's what I figured but I wasn't sure

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

The Iraqi army is largely sitting in its positions along the Tigris and there are more major shia population centers along the Euphrates than the Tigris (Much of Iraqs population had been evacuated from the border regions of the Tigris), it also cuts the Saudi-Iraqi and Jordanian-Iraqi roads more efficiently blocking the Iraqi tanker overland route

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Haven't read it, but since it's about the late 1800s I imagine that the amount of research going into medieval standards for meals wasn't the main priority.
It is about the 1700s to the 1800s. The "peasants" are what the common people are like in the 1700s and then nationalism, language standardization, and the schools turn them into "frenchmen" by the late 1800s. And the peasants eat like poo poo.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Phanatic posted:

It's a book review. The extended quote is from the book:

https://www.amazon.com/Against-Grain-History-Earliest-States/dp/030024021X

Author's a professor of agrarian studies at Yale. I don't think he's alt-right adjacent through anything, but I could be wrong.

I like the other work from James Scott I've read, although admittedly it sometimes seemed to lack rigor, but yeah, that quote really isn't very convincing of anything. I'd need to see him address how states functioned that weren't grain based and how it effects his theory. So that means looking at Polynesia, also places like the history of the Banaue Rice terraces in the Philippines which we now know were originally built to grow taro, and the pastoralist empires of central Asia. It's tempting try and rules lawyer and say these nomadic tribal confederacies aren't states, but practically speaking the sure seem pretty similar!

There's also a chicken and egg problem, what if states didn't encourage grain cultivation, but the cultivation of grain encouraged state formation?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

phasing in isn't the same thing as every rifleman with a magnifying optic, though

Our unit was already 100% G36 in 2004-2006 (my time in the army), and we weren't exactly KSK-material. We still had some G3 in storage reputedly, but I never saw them personally and we never trained with them.

zoux posted:

At what range are non-specialized infantry usually trained to fire.

50-300m, depending on weapon. We were supposed to use pistols at closer ranges. I remember one time we were told what to do if ranges are above the ~400m range but I could never quite get my head around it, as I was always atrocious at math and calculating wind speed in my head was a bit above my ability.

LingcodKilla posted:

My army IT buddy is saying he was never tested past three hundred but he got training on 400 at unit level.

Can confirm, we did the same poo poo (testing/training in shooting exercises up to a max. of ca. 200m and a single 300-400m company-level exercise I was on).

Randarkman posted:

I can't say for sure but at least in Christian Europe it was considered extremely important to baptize a newborn as soon as possible precisely because so many died in infancy. Because a priest often was not available on short notice, the Church ruled that a priest was not strictly necessary to carry out a baptism, midwives specifically were pointed out when it came to performing baptisms. A priest was necessary for confirmation, which confirmed a child's membership in the Christian community (and typically was carried out as soon as a priest was available), but confirmaton wasn't a necessity for salvation.

Holy poo poo, I never thought about this, but that must be where the Catholic tradition of Konfirmation comes from in Germany. (No idea if that kind of celebration of a kid getting "confirmed" into Catholicism is practiced in other countries, so I'm going with the German name.)

P-Mack posted:

Per Catholic rules you don't even need to be a Christian to baptize someone, if the emergency is severe enough.

This by the way caused a later rule to be made that states that an emergency baptism doesn't work against someones will, so if someone gets baptized by some random Catholic, you can just go to the next real priest and he'll confirm you're still going to hell if you want to. :v:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Polyakov posted:

The Iraqi army is largely sitting in its positions along the Tigris and there are more major shia population centers along the Euphrates than the Tigris (Much of Iraqs population had been evacuated from the border regions of the Tigris), it also cuts the Saudi-Iraqi and Jordanian-Iraqi roads more efficiently blocking the Iraqi tanker overland route

That actually answers it perfectly lol.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Squalid posted:

I like the other work from James Scott I've read, although admittedly it sometimes seemed to lack rigor, but yeah, that quote really isn't very convincing of anything. I'd need to see him address how states functioned that weren't grain based and how it effects his theory. So that means looking at Polynesia, also places like the history of the Banaue Rice terraces in the Philippines which we now know were originally built to grow taro, and the pastoralist empires of central Asia. It's tempting try and rules lawyer and say these nomadic tribal confederacies aren't states, but practically speaking the sure seem pretty similar!
i found seeing like a state disappointing, but i find most things that rely on "case studies" from many times and places to be shallow.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Libluini posted:

Holy poo poo, I never thought about this, but that must be where the Catholic tradition of Konfirmation comes from in Germany. (No idea if that kind of celebration of a kid getting "confirmed" into Catholicism is practiced in other countries, so I'm going with the German name.)
Yes, this is a thing for all Catholics. They do it some time after the child is grown, so from twelve to late high school, while the Orthodox do it at the same time as baptism.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I don't know anything about medieval diets but I've read enough about modern nutritional issues to know that lots of traditional subsistence diets frequently lead to poor nutrition. Globally some of the most common vitamin deficiencies are B3, B1, A, and D. Iron deficiency is also a serious problem and causes much higher rates of maternal mortality. These hosed a lot of people up even in the United States where to my understand rural communities were always relatively well fed compared to their European and Asian contemporaries. They only stopped to be a common problem following the introduction of vitamin fortification in the early 20th century. In parts of the southern US pellagra was even called "spring sickness" because people were regularly coming down with it every year in the spring after running out of everything besides corn flour in the winter.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Libluini posted:

Yeah that's where it comes from. In many cases today there's a lot of pageantry, ceremony and importance to it that wasn't really there back in Medieval times.

This is perhaps especially true in Scandinavian countries where comfirmation occurs at roughly 15 years and is an important coming-of age celebration for teenagers. This started after the introduction of protestantism. Confirmation was used as an occasion to educate young people in the Bible and Christian (that is Protestant) teachings to prepare them to be confirmed as full members of the Church (that is society).

Over time this kind of morphed into a kind of early universal schooling system in early modern Scandinavia where priests in an area would travel to the farms to teach children to read and recite stuff from the Bible to prepare them for confirmation. This is likely an important reason (together with a general prosperity) why the Scandinavian countries had very high literacy rates already in the 18th century.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's cool cool cool how people are trying to cite Slatestarcodex ITT.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's cool cool cool how people are trying to cite Slatestarcodex ITT.
i mentioned that he sucks :colbert:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Squalid posted:

I don't know anything about medieval diets but I've read enough about modern nutritional issues to know that lots of traditional subsistence diets frequently lead to poor nutrition. Globally some of the most common vitamin deficiencies are B3, B1, A, and D. Iron deficiency is also a serious problem and causes much higher rates of maternal mortality. These hosed a lot of people up even in the United States where to my understand rural communities were always relatively well fed compared to their European and Asian contemporaries. They only stopped to be a common problem following the introduction of vitamin fortification in the early 20th century. In parts of the southern US pellagra was even called "spring sickness" because people were regularly coming down with it every year in the spring after running out of everything besides corn flour in the winter.
i have been talking to nebuchadnezzar and he said that all the older adults, into GenX, in his community are missing teeth because until the 1960s everyone'd get scurvy. this is on the east coast of canada. now that they have modern transportation and food technology this is no longer a problem, which is why he's as healthy as any other goon

the "degrowth" people are either profoundly ignorant, betting they can buck the odds, or immoral. the "eat local" people are probably just ignorant.

they also think things are "natural" that are actually the result of constant tending, like their teeth. so even if a modern person just hosed off into the woods, they're coasting on a lifetime of modern healthcare, dental care, and nutrition. it's not only that you have your current state of health now, it's that you did not have a lifetime of lovely health behind you.

inb4 "but why would traditional diets cause poor nutrition, that isn't their point". period societies don't actually know that much about nutrition, assuming they actually had all the answers but expressed them in code ("eating kosher is actually about not getting parasites! eating this herb is actually about the properties modern science only now discovered!") is false. they might have stopped scurvy with fresh vegetables but they also put donkey poo poo in their eyes and believed sugar was medicine because it was white.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 19, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GUNS posted:

i mentioned that he sucks :colbert:

It deserved more opprobrium than just one of us.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I always think about having to explain something like my day today to a peasant type person from a previous era.

I went on around a 30 mile bike ride today. For me, this burns around 2,000 calories, which is about the daily recommendation for most people nowadays. I do this sort of because I like the activity and because of the fitness benefits, but mainly, because I want to eat and drink indiscriminately and not get fat. So, I ride to nowhere in particular, usually in a big circle, on a ridiculously expensive and specialized machine that can literally do only one thing which is ride about on improved roads with a minimal payload, for the primary purpose of being able to consume an excessive amount of calories, because if I didn't, I'd eat too many calories, and I'd get fat.

I feel like the peasant would punch me or kick me in the nuts or whatever the period appropriate response would be.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

bewbies posted:

I always think about having to explain something like my day today to a peasant type person from a previous era.

I went on around a 30 mile bike ride today. For me, this burns around 2,000 calories, which is about the daily recommendation for most people nowadays. I do this sort of because I like the activity and because of the fitness benefits, but mainly, because I want to eat and drink indiscriminately and not get fat. So, I ride to nowhere in particular, usually in a big circle, on a ridiculously expensive and specialized machine that can literally do only one thing which is ride about on improved roads with a minimal payload, for the primary purpose of being able to consume an excessive amount of calories, because if I didn't, I'd eat too many calories, and I'd get fat.

I feel like the peasant would punch me or kick me in the nuts or whatever the period appropriate response would be.
a few months ago i went to the dentist. he found some things that might develop into cavities a long time from now, and did some things so they would not. because of poo poo like this, medicines we put in our water, and things put in my teeth, i have never had a cavity. when he poked around in there i felt nothing. i have lost only one adult tooth in my life and that was when i deliberately had it pulled. there wasn't anything wrong with that tooth, i just had it pulled. i'm 35 years old.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 20, 2019

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I broke a bone (fifth metatarsal) in my foot a few years ago. After two weeks in a protective splint it wasn't setting straight (the broken ends were angled downwards), and so a surgeon aligned the two pieces and put a pin through them, which was removed six weeks later.

Instead of having a limp for the rest of my life, I walk normally.

I've also had impacted wisdom teeth pulled (one of which needed to be broken up in place to be extracted), which was all done with local anaesthesia and sterile instruments.

I'm glad I don't live in a roman bust guy's ideal past.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

When I was born my tear ducts were sealed so they poked them open. Pretty awesome to have that capability so I didn’t go blind immediately.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Dental stuff is good, the quality of dental care is much much better. I recently had my tooth replaced with a synthetic copy that looks almost exactly like a real tooth and lasts for many years. I spent less than two hours having this done and could eat normally immediately after.

Basically, anything about modern plumbing. I start the day by relieving myself and sending it to an automated processing facility miles away. To do that I just pull a lever. We do this right inside our house because it's so clean and not smelly. Then I turn a knob and hot water sprays down so I can wash myself. I don't really worry about how much water I use because it just flows out when I turn the knob.

I have such stable electricity availability that I am upset if I don't have it for 4 hours per year. And that electricity can do so many things, it's magic energy and we don't even need oxen.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 20, 2019

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah dentistry is huge. I had 4 teeth removed under general anaesthesia earlier this year. 3 wisdom teeth and a molar that a wisdom tooth had pushed up against and damaged slightly. I went to sleep and woke up with 4 teeth gone and because of the local, didn't feel my jaw for 2 days. Barely any swelling and I was eating normal food within 4 days. Don't think I even needed antibiotics. Now I have a big gap where that molar was, but the wisdom tooth that was causing the problem will be dragged into place (closing an 18mm gap) and replace the removed molar, using some steel wire and cleverly made brackets. Also my top teeth were photographed and a series of clear plates were 3d printed based on those scans to straighten them over time. You'd never know I had braces if you didn't know and weren't actively looking. Modern dentistry is amazing.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

bewbies posted:

On the other side, there’s the example of a friend of mine who was SF in Gulf War 1, who was eating three MREs per day, which is about the maximum about of caloric intake that you can expect from people, and still losing weight.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

On the other side, there’s the example of a friend of mine who was SF in Gulf War 1, who was eating three MREs per day, which is about the maximum about of caloric intake that you can expect from people, and still losing weight.

Your friend was presumably getting exercise. I seem to recall that Michael Phelps hit around 12k calories/day during peak conditioning. Google says an MRE is 1250 calories, so three of those is...considerably less. It's not actually that hard to burn ~1500 extra calories between the actual exercise and an increased baseline metabolic load from being in good shape.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Early Antarctic explorers literally couldn’t consume enough calories to avoid losing weight, even when they had plenty of dense food. I dunno how many calories your body needs to maintain its temperature in that cold but it’s a lot.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’m a big fat gently caress and I have a hard time visualizing eating 12k calories in a day. Particularly since presumably he would have been eating relatively cleanly.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

HEY GUNS posted:

Doritos themseves sure, but I eat meat, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Are there any non-woo sources that say these are less healthy than their "natural" equivalents, whatever those might have been?

Late but yes:
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/15/science/a-decline-in-the-nutritional-value-of-crops.html
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/237436311_Declining_Fruit_and_Vegetable_Nutrient_Composition_What_Is_the_Evidence
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0889157516302113

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

You know, when you're citing sources to support [argument], it is usually a bad idea to cite one that states that [argument] is bunk.

From your third link:

quote:

Mineral nutrient composition of vegetables, fruits and grains is not declining.

Allegations of decline due to agricultural soil mineral depletion are unfounded.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Your friend was presumably getting exercise. I seem to recall that Michael Phelps hit around 12k calories/day during peak conditioning. Google says an MRE is 1250 calories, so three of those is...considerably less. It's not actually that hard to burn ~1500 extra calories between the actual exercise and an increased baseline metabolic load from being in good shape.

It’s really difficult for a human to ingest that sort of caloric load. Michael Phelps was working hard just to get that much food down his gullet. The military guidelines are 3 MREs/day for combat troops, but it’s hard to get them to actually eat them; the 1250 calories is the whole MRE: the entree, the crackers, the peanut butter (or jalapeño cheese which really kicks the peanut butter’s rear end), the drink packet, etc. A lot of them will not eat the whole thing regularly. Making a field ration palatable enough for troops to eat 3750 calories/day of it is a challenge.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Never broken a bone, but I’ve had a bout of childhood pneumonia that would have been fatal if I didn’t have a modern hospital to care for me. I sprained my wrist at a roller rink a few years later and suffered absolutely no long term effects. Accidentally stabbed an artery and managed to take care of it in my house with only a small scar to show for it.

Science rules.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

It’s really difficult for a human to ingest that sort of caloric load. Michael Phelps was working hard just to get that much food down his gullet. The military guidelines are 3 MREs/day for combat troops, but it’s hard to get them to actually eat them; the 1250 calories is the whole MRE: the entree, the crackers, the peanut butter (or jalapeño cheese which really kicks the peanut butter’s rear end), the drink packet, etc. A lot of them will not eat the whole thing regularly. Making a field ration palatable enough for troops to eat 3750 calories/day of it is a challenge.

Like you said, this sounds like more of an issue with the MRE than with the troops. I sustained 6k calories/day as a teenager (my parents made me keep a meal diary for a bit because of the amount of food I was going through) and I don't remember thinking it was that hard. IIRC it was something like three bowls of cereal for breakfast, two large sandwiches plus veggies for lunch, whatever the family had for dinner, and snacks sprinkled throughout.

I wouldn't be able to handle that now in my mid-30's, but my life's a lot more sedentary now too. If I was getting 2-3 hours of exercise every day my caloric consumption would pretty quickly push past 4k/day.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I had phimosis develop as a teenager and let me tell you life would have suuuucked for me before they developed anaesthesia, at the very least.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

feedmegin posted:

I had phimosis develop as a teenager and let me tell you life would have suuuucked for me before they developed anaesthesia, at the very least.

sorry about your dingus.

I remember some of my friends drinking slimfasts in class in hs just to keep up with their football weightlifting and practice. active humans burn an insane amount of calories and trying to stay on top of that and grow mass is hard. you can only absorb so much before you poo poo it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

TK-42-1 posted:

sorry about your dingus.

I remember some of my friends drinking slimfasts in class in hs just to keep up with their football weightlifting and practice. active humans burn an insane amount of calories and trying to stay on top of that and grow mass is hard. you can only absorb so much before you poo poo it out.

till you hit middle age and I have to eat super small meals to not pack on weight like a prize steer

i recall those glorious high school days of eating whatever whenever forever