Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

heeheex2 posted:

Weird thing that i think i saw someone else post about a while ago- If a stickied thread gets unstickied it stays in the position it would be if it was still stuck, until the actual thread gets to the next page of threads. i don't know how to write this in a non-confusing way lol

It happens with the bastaman thread in cspam. If there’s unread posts it shows up in the middle of the stickied threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
iOS 13.1 latest Awful and YouTube apps.

I have open YouTube links in YouTube.

I click on link in one thread and it opens in YouTube as expected

I click on a link in a different thread it opens in awful going to YouTube.

I long press on the second link and say open in YouTube. Opens in Awful.

This only started after upgrading to iOS 13, but intermittently and I’m having a hard time figuring out what exactly is the difference.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

Now that macOS 10.15 Catalina is out, are you putting builds of Awful for macOS anywhere?

I just made a branch to (kinda) merge the Mac and Master branches and it (kinda sorta) works.

e:

Okay, got more commits cherry-picked back in.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 10, 2019

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

pokeyman posted:

Haven't seen this one but it sounds fun. Any chance you can snag a screenshot next time it happens? Is it an empty white screen? Does it cover the whole screen or is it inset somewhat?
It's an empty white screen that takes up the whole screen. I can get around it by long pressing and opening in a browser but it used to do that on a single press.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
I can add the original GTA V thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514948)to the bookmarks, but it is not listed there :confuoot: Is it because it is archived?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

When the app loads the PM list, they're given a time if same day, or "yesterday" etc. Which is nice, but it never updates these as the date changes. I have several PMs received on separate days that all say "yesterday" now (bonus: all of them are older than yesterday). Even manual pull to refresh doesn't seem to fix that.

Also is it just me or with iOS 13 is it now really hard to trigger the url... whatever the hell the thing is called that shows up when you long press a url that shows you its longer form above where you pressed? It seems super excited to select text instead which is not what I want. Assuming that's even something you can control.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

I’m also seeing tweets open in safari regardless of the setting. Also would it be possible to have them open in Tweetbot instead? Maybe too niche a feature though.

App v 3.63, iOS 13.1.2, 11pro

E: thanks for the app though, it’s very good overall

Pardot fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 19, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is a new weird one...

I can open any other thread just fine.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

This is a new weird one...

I can open any other thread just fine.

Mobile and retro games forums are being created today and threads moved there won’t be viewable until the permissions update.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Midjack posted:

Mobile and retro games forums are being created today and threads moved there won’t be viewable until the permissions update.

Oh.... well thats what I get for never going past my bookmarks lol

Thanks!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Oh.... well thats what I get for never going past my bookmarks lol

Thanks!

I had a similar experience and had to poke around too. :cheerdoge:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can I also request a feature to open tweets in different apps? I think Apollo lets you choose between the Twitter app, tweetbot, or safari etc.

Yep!

heeheex2 posted:

Adding a favourite forum and then pressing edit seems to make it impossible to open any forums.

That’s no good, I’ll take a look.

heeheex2 posted:

Weird thing that i think i saw someone else post about a while ago- If a stickied thread gets unstickied it stays in the position it would be if it was still stuck, until the actual thread gets to the next page of threads. i don't know how to write this in a non-confusing way lol

I think that’s a new one to me, though there’s been weirdness around sticky threads in the past. And that was relatively un-confusing hehe.

Zesty posted:

Derp hang on.

I need a way to check my ignore list from the app.

Anyway we can get a different error warning for that particular case so we know what’s going on?

I can +1 allowing editing the ignore list! I’ve also thought about a button for this particular issue that would also remove the user being complained about.

irpoweroutlet posted:

I’m on latest public iOS and Awful app with an SE.

Tweets are no longer opening in the twitter app and are going to safari.

And the three dot menu is cut-off when pressed.

https://imgur.com/a/NUgvvTg

Real minor stuff that I didn’t see mentioned in the last few pages. You’re awesome

Thanks! Thought I’d gotten the cut off popovers but I guess not.

eschaton posted:

Now that macOS 10.15 Catalina is out, are you putting builds of Awful for macOS anywhere?

Not yet, I need to figure out a distribution setup. They’ll probably end up on the GitHub repo's Releases tab. I’ll post here when that’s set up!

Nystral posted:

iOS 13.1 latest Awful and YouTube apps.

I have open YouTube links in YouTube.

I click on link in one thread and it opens in YouTube as expected

I click on a link in a different thread it opens in awful going to YouTube.

I long press on the second link and say open in YouTube. Opens in Awful.

This only started after upgrading to iOS 13, but intermittently and I’m having a hard time figuring out what exactly is the difference.

If you can link a couple posts that work differently, I’d love to see it. Maybe the links are different somehow, or the post markup is different?

Mr.PayDay posted:

I can add the original GTA V thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514948)to the bookmarks, but it is not listed there :confuoot: Is it because it is archived?

Yeah, bookmarking an archived thread appears to work (I think if you do it via the website it seems to work too, like you don’t get an error message or anything) but doesn’t actually stay there. I’ll +1 it on the list. It wouldn’t be too hard to keep it bookmarked locally on device, but I have dreams of syncing bookmarked archived threads between devices too.

power crystals posted:

When the app loads the PM list, they're given a time if same day, or "yesterday" etc. Which is nice, but it never updates these as the date changes. I have several PMs received on separate days that all say "yesterday" now (bonus: all of them are older than yesterday). Even manual pull to refresh doesn't seem to fix that.

Also is it just me or with iOS 13 is it now really hard to trigger the url... whatever the hell the thing is called that shows up when you long press a url that shows you its longer form above where you pressed? It seems super excited to select text instead which is not what I want. Assuming that's even something you can control.

PM thing is a good catch, I’ll add it to the list!

Not sure how much we can do about the long press text thing. We use a web view to render posts, so we can control the markup and styles that we feed in but it’s not always clear how to coerce changes in things like text selection. So it’s in the "probably technically possible but no idea how painful it might be" camp. But I’ll but it on the list!

Pardot posted:

I’m also seeing tweets open in safari regardless of the setting. Also would it be possible to have them open in Tweetbot instead? Maybe too niche a feature though.

App v 3.63, iOS 13.1.2, 11pro

E: thanks for the app though, it’s very good overall

Probably pretty easy to add Tweetbot. Not sure about the opening in safari bit but I can take a look.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Hey pokeyman, Is there a way to send you a few bucks to the Awful app development and to appreciate your work and time? You should add PayPal donation button or IAP or something like that.
I spent so much Euros on lovely apps while using Awful on iOS since several years for free.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Nope! The exchange for it being free is I get to ignore y’all without guilt for arbitrary amounts of time. Maybe treat yourself to a spiffy new avatar or something and call it a Forums donation in the name of Awful :)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Please support these dying forums, our work is literally pointless without it

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Where did we fall on the “spoilers being dark gray instead of bright white in dark modes” item?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

pokeyman posted:

Nope! The exchange for it being free is I get to ignore y’all without guilt for arbitrary amounts of time.

just wanted to say thanks too and also that this is a very healthy mindset so good for you dude

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

I have two pictures taken within seconds of each other on my phone, I can add one of them to a post, but not both... honestly not sure what’s up here.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Tweets with sufficiently long poster names will introduce a horizontal scrollbar. They get visibly cut off at the border but the layout engine apparently uses the full length of the text to decide the width of the “page”. No idea if you can do anything about that, either, but figured I’d pass it on just in case.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

power crystals posted:

Tweets with sufficiently long poster names will introduce a horizontal scrollbar. They get visibly cut off at the border but the layout engine apparently uses the full length of the text to decide the width of the “page”. No idea if you can do anything about that, either, but figured I’d pass it on just in case.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

I’ve not been able to mod any threads or forums for a week now. It just hangs after I press one. It updates the unread count so it must be doing...something? I’ve reinstalled it multiple times to no avail. Anyone have any ideas?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The dedicated punctuation buttons are a little bit squished on 11 Max Pro:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I was auto logged out of awful this morning on my phone and tablet. I logged back into the tablet ok but the phone app keeps saying that I have the wrong password. What should I do?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drastic Actions posted:

I just made a branch to (kinda) merge the Mac and Master branches and it (kinda sorta) works.

e:

Okay, got more commits cherry-picked back in.

why am I considering reinstalling Xcode for this

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Still not having the ability to load pictures after months of weekly uninstall and reinstalls.

Oh well nobody wanted to see my ugly mug in the selfie thread.

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery

Couch Life posted:

I’ve not been able to mod any threads or forums for a week now. It just hangs after I press one. It updates the unread count so it must be doing...something? I’ve reinstalled it multiple times to no avail. Anyone have any ideas?

I have the same experience just trying to read a thread. Upgraded to iOS 13.1.3 and moved to a new phone, press any bookmarked thread and it just takes the unread count to 0 and locks up. Tried uninstall/reinstall to no effect. Also when I logged back into the app (with iOS dark mode and SA dark mode) it appears the letters I typed were showing up as white text on white background. Help?

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

pokeyman posted:

That’s hosed up, sorry about that. I’ll take a look.

Thank you! Also, thanks for the app, absolute lifesaver at work.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Upgraded to iOS 13.2 and I can call up bookmarks and forums, but as soon as I select a thread it doesn't open it, all it does is mark everything read and stays locked in the list of bookmarks. Can't do anything after that and the app effectively is locked.

Only force quitting works after that, but if I relaunch same thing happens..

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

is bookmarks supposed to always be blue now

e: close/reopened app and can't replicate it now :shrug:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Vortex Street posted:

I have the same experience just trying to read a thread. Upgraded to iOS 13.1.3 and moved to a new phone, press any bookmarked thread and it just takes the unread count to 0 and locks up. Tried uninstall/reinstall to no effect. Also when I logged back into the app (with iOS dark mode and SA dark mode) it appears the letters I typed were showing up as white text on white background. Help?

Just saw this, sounds like the same exact symptoms on 13.2. On a plain jane 11.

Tried rebooting, delete app/reinstall app. Which phone, is it an A13 thing?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just got a quoted post highlighted in the "quoting me" purple, but it wasn't my post that was quoted

Here's the post containing the quote (goreban dallas 2.0's post is the one that was purp'd): https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3900062&perpage=40&pagenumber=2944#post499544260

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nevermind it was a loving inline screenshot lmao

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Found a fun new piece to my longstanding "scrollthumbs disappear when thread gets rerendered, but only sometimes!" issue! So I've been using the old dark modes on my Awful.app and I've now seen (and just now screenshotted) that the scrollthumbs actually ARE present, just the wrong color! See:

The scrollthumb is in fact still there but black, as if the page background is white, so it's only visible on top of an already-read post there. I also first saw the hiding scrollthumb outside of the yospos theme (although only visible on top of an already-marked-as-read post too).

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Seeing an issue where i make a post, it spins endlessly, but when i kill the app and reopen my post is in the thread

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stuffed crust punk posted:

Seeing an issue where i make a post, it spins endlessly, but when i kill the app and reopen my post is in the thread

It’s the servers taking a poo poo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

It’s the servers taking a poo poo.

Yep, I've gotten some error messages trying to make a post, hit the post button again when it clears, and then bam, double/triple posted.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

stuffed crust punk posted:

That's the forums today, not the app

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh good, not just me.

Damaged Bads
Apr 11, 2008
I just upgraded to iOS 13.2 and tried out voice control, the Awful app seems not to like it very much, freezes and crashes after a few seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery

Binary Badger posted:

Just saw this, sounds like the same exact symptoms on 13.2. On a plain jane 11.

Tried rebooting, delete app/reinstall app. Which phone, is it an A13 thing?

iphone 11 pro. Updated to 13.2, deleted and reinstalled the app, same behavior:

- Clicking on a thread with unread posts decrements the unread post count by a page’s worth of posts, or if less than a page of posts was unread, the count goes to zero. The thread however does not open and the app freezes.
- The next time I open the app, the thread is now open to that page but the app is frozen.
- Depending on the mix of iphone dark mode and app dark mode, that open page is blank

I miss the app :(

Vortex Street fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 5, 2019