Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Cythereal posted:

Guns being super unsatisfying is one of the bigger problems with Doom 2016.

:eyepoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I think the worst part of 'super strong monster in low level area' is when it happens in an MMO. It's a bit less annoying now, but in older ones where you'd lose exp or equipment or who knows because the newbie area's Oblivion Wyrm decided to say hello that really sucked! Even worse when the super dangerous enemy looks like some cute rabbit or some similar poo poo because Monty Python lol and it looks similar enough to the local fauna that you can't be sure it's the Death Monster until you get close.

when i played SWTOR the world bossed were way underleveled for how strong they are. the first world boss was level 19. i came back at level 35 and expected to be able to solo it. lolnope.

i hadn't played a game with world bosses before so i had no idea what to expect.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
DVINN TO ZONE!!!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Kind of a weird one, but in Outer Wilds (big plot/ending spoilers): the ending, and the concept of the setting in general, is just such a downer. The fact that the universe is dying, suns are supernovaing all over the place, and even a race of technologically advanced aliens can't find a stable place to live. There's nothing wrong with your sun, you can't stop it from exploding via some magic tech or something - it's just old. Your race just started exploring space, and now they are going to die. Bleh. The Nomai clan died for no good reason, too, just some lovely comet full of poison. There is some glimpse of hope in the ending, with the creation of a new universe, but I'm never a fan of those sort of bittersweet rebirth endings.

Still love the game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

It is not a game for me. Didn't even finish my first playthrough because I was so bored with it.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Cythereal posted:

It is not a game for me. Didn't even finish my first playthrough because I was so bored with it.

Agreed. Like, it was incredibly fun for thirty minutes, and then I realized that was the entire game. I won't diss anybody for loving it -- it's lovable -- but it ain't my bag, baby.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Doom 3 is a better game than Doom 2016

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm cleaning up the late game in Indivisible, and now all of a sudden there are just regular enemies that can one-shot my characters if I'm not doing frame-perfect blocks? :psyduck:
How tf is that ever acceptable design, that's "consider just stopping with maybe 90 minutes left" territory for me.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I think part of it was a sacrifice that had to be made for the melee kills system. Back in original Doom, the shotgun could drop multiple enemies with a single shot, which of course felt good, but if the shotgun in new Doom hit that hard then you'd never be able to get any glory kills. So it had to just stagger enemies with the first shot, which naturally makes it feel weaker.

Also I continue to hate the "kill X of a certain enemy in a specific way" sorts of side goals, and how I keep forgetting what they are and needing to pause the game and navigate a menu to remind myself. Control has the same thing, but you can pick the missions yourself, so I quickly learned to only take the "kill X of an enemy" missions with no further stipulations so I never had to actually think about them.

Squiddycat posted:

Doom 3 is a better game than Doom 2016

Okay now wait a second

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I think the worst part of 'super strong monster in low level area' is when it happens in an MMO. It's a bit less annoying now, but in older ones where you'd lose exp or equipment or who knows because the newbie area's Oblivion Wyrm decided to say hello that really sucked! Even worse when the super dangerous enemy looks like some cute rabbit or some similar poo poo because Monty Python lol and it looks similar enough to the local fauna that you can't be sure it's the Death Monster until you get close.

Old school WoW manged to have both the best and worst implementations of this. The raid-tier max-level world bosses were sequestered off in their own special arena that was difficult to wander into by accident, but also some zones had fast moving over-leveled enemies that could easily sneak up on you while your attention was anywhere else.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

razorrozar posted:

when i played SWTOR the world bossed were way underleveled for how strong they are. the first world boss was level 19. i came back at level 35 and expected to be able to solo it. lolnope.

i hadn't played a game with world bosses before so i had no idea what to expect.

My first MMO was FF11. Spent quite a bit of time lying facedown in the dirt after attacking rare monsters that were my level. :negative:

I do and do not miss having entire sections of lower-level areas shut down because someone ran screaming from things that were aggressive, and stronger than everything else there. Just a crowd of people huddled in an alcove waiting for a single goblin to gently caress off back to his spawn point.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Oh you can experience that joy again with the Eureka poo poo they made in Stormblood for FF14 :unsmigghh:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Leal posted:

Oh you can experience that joy again with the Eureka poo poo they made in Stormblood for FF14 :unsmigghh:

or not

you can play a fun mmo instead, like warframe

warframe is the best, though its boss fights kinda suck

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Schubalts posted:

My first MMO was FF11. Spent quite a bit of time lying facedown in the dirt after attacking rare monsters that were my level. :negative:

I do and do not miss having entire sections of lower-level areas shut down because someone ran screaming from things that were aggressive, and stronger than everything else there. Just a crowd of people huddled in an alcove waiting for a single goblin to gently caress off back to his spawn point.

Oh geez mine too. Having, like, a whole four quests into he starting town (which you won't leave for hours), no solo content, losing XP upon death...ugh. pretty as hell at the time though

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I strongly recommend everyone play Xenoblade Chronicles X. Not to enjoy it. Just to see how bad the misplaced enemy problem can really be.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

You can pretty much play it however you want from what I remember. As long as it's just "murder everything" I mean.

Only thing I didn't like about it was that anything even remotely resembling stealth/hiding/cover or anything at all tactical was a complete no go and a total waste of effort but once I l figured that out and kept moving I never really felt handcuffed by any of the weapons or mechanics and just took it for what it was. Which was just total run and gun, spaz out, twitch, waste everything in sight and kill up close whenever possible endeavor.

I enjoyed it for what it was but felt the only drawback was not really the weapon damage but the fact that it made you play at full forward speed almost constantly. There didn't seem to be much strategy to it at all but once I figured that out I had more fun with it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

I strongly recommend everyone play Xenoblade Chronicles X. Not to enjoy it. Just to see how bad the misplaced enemy problem can really be.

Made even better if you don't download the texture pack or w/e it was (something I'm sure you cannot do now that the wii u shopping channel shut down?) so you'll run into an area that looks safe and suddenly BAM! You're surrounded by monsters 20+ levels higher then you.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Screaming Idiot posted:

or not

you can play a fun mmo instead, like warframe

warframe is the best, though its boss fights kinda suck

I live Warframe, but I'm gonna stand up for FFXIV here. Eureka is really the only part like that, and it's deliberately like that. It's side content you don't have to touch at all if you don't want to, and later on in it they realize how to make it fun by just giving you some really strong extra skills and buffs.

Still not really worth doing unless you either really like it or really want an Ozma mount. ...but I do want an Ozma mount and think that content isn't too bad, so I'm deep in that swamp.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It's really annoying that you can't use the alien to take out the android enemies in Alien: Isolation. You can pit it against human enemies, but the androids will just look at it and make some comment about logging an unknown species before going on with their day, and the alien acts like the androids aren't even there.

If it were an original IP I'd be a little annoyed but think that it makes sense that the alien might not recognize a robot as being prey, but, well,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBC_eELIR7I&t=16s

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This youtube link is the first time I've ever connected Queen -> Bishop in Aliens.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

This youtube link is the first time I've ever connected Queen -> Bishop in Aliens.

Same here lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It's really annoying that you can't use the alien to take out the android enemies in Alien: Isolation. You can pit it against human enemies, but the androids will just look at it and make some comment about logging an unknown species before going on with their day, and the alien acts like the androids aren't even there.

If it were an original IP I'd be a little annoyed but think that it makes sense that the alien might not recognize a robot as being prey, but, well,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBC_eELIR7I&t=16s

I've never played the game but I'm with you in spirit because I hate games where enemies are all unified against you and you alone. I like games where you can get people fighting against each other and leave you alone.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Triarii posted:

I think part of it was a sacrifice that had to be made for the melee kills system. Back in original Doom, the shotgun could drop multiple enemies with a single shot, which of course felt good, but if the shotgun in new Doom hit that hard then you'd never be able to get any glory kills. So it had to just stagger enemies with the first shot, which naturally makes it feel weaker.

One of the most important elements of OG Doom/2 is how monster pain states work and I'm pretty sure Doom 2016 doesn't really have that or it's very subtle/quick.

Though Doom 3 had it even worse. gently caress the zombie marines ignoring the shotgun completely unless you shoved it straight up their nose.

In other words, I don't think Doom 2016 had bad weapons (well, maybe except the giant rail gun that slowed you down in a game all about staying on the move, what on earth) rather the enemies often failed to meaningfully react to them. Imps ignoring a clip of micro-rockets up until their HP drops to zero and then they finally ragdoll and gib is lame.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 02:11 on Oct 20, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

BiggerBoat posted:

I enjoyed it for what it was but felt the only drawback was not really the weapon damage but the fact that it made you play at full forward speed almost constantly. There didn't seem to be much strategy to it at all but once I figured that out I had more fun with it.

This was actually the basis of the entire game's design.GDC talk on it.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

In other words, I don't think Doom 2016 had bad weapons (well, maybe except the giant rail gun that slowed you down in a game all about staying on the move, what on earth) rather the enemies often failed to meaningfully react to them. Imps ignoring a clip of micro-rockets up until their HP drops to zero and then they finally ragdoll and gib is lame.

Wasn't there an upgrade that removed the slowdown, or in other words, made the weapon actually usable?

The weapon upgrades/mods were another thing I wasn't a big fan of. I liked how specific and straightfoward the guns used to be. Rather than attaching a grenade launcher with a cooldown to the shotgun, I think I would've rather just had a grenade launcher.

ItBreathes posted:

This was actually the basis of the entire game's design.GDC talk on it.

Yeah, stealth and cover can be fun and all, but Doom is the poster child for not having any of that and just focusing on moving around out in the open.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah it's this. Enemies barely even flinch when you shoot them, it really sucks. It's exactly like in the new Wolfenstein series where enemies don't react at all to being shot until they die at which point they just splort into pieces like you're knocking over a meaty statue.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RareAcumen posted:

I've never played the game but I'm with you in spirit because I hate games where enemies are all unified against you and you alone. I like games where you can get people fighting against each other and leave you alone.

It's possible to go too far, though. I thought one of the big climactic battles in Fallout 4 was broken because nobody was hostile to me, I could just walk through the whole thing.

Granted, it's Fallout 4, so it might've been broken.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

RareAcumen posted:

this was something i always thought Halo did well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

buddhist nudist posted:

Old school WoW manged to have both the best and worst implementations of this. The raid-tier max-level world bosses were sequestered off in their own special arena that was difficult to wander into by accident, but also some zones had fast moving over-leveled enemies that could easily sneak up on you while your attention was anywhere else.

I thought Stitches worked well because he was big, slow, walked on a well-defined path and was tied to the storyline of the zone.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Leal posted:

Made even better if you don't download the texture pack or w/e it was (something I'm sure you cannot do now that the wii u shopping channel shut down?) so you'll run into an area that looks safe and suddenly BAM! You're surrounded by monsters 20+ levels higher then you.

I don't think the WiiU channel just down just the regular Wii shop. I'm too lazy to turn on the WiiU to confirm but they still sell games for it on the Nintendo Website https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/xenoblade-chronicles-x-wii-u/

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Seeing as every permutation of speedruns exist there ought be other more novel ways to make a challenge-run. Like playing Xenoblade 2 in the same room as your mother without dying of embarrassment.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Extremely minor nitpick but I'm trying FFXV again and there's a lot of moaning and grunting when you're hanging out. I think they were trying to fill the dead air from when you're running on foot after something but it just makes it worse when everyone is going "hmmm" "ah!" "mhmm" all the time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Samuringa posted:

there's a lot of moaning and grunting when you're hanging out

Just like real life!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I think that player ratings in sports games (and some rpgs) are a little hosed

Say they have a 0-100 ratings system where, for speed, 100 is the fastest person in the game. OK no problem. The issue is that a guy with a speed of 2 would basically be crippled. This doesn't make any sense to me since no one with one leg is playing professional sports. "Zero" should be the slowest player in the game not the slowest person that simply exists. As it is now, the slowest player in a game like Madden, NBA or NHL is maybe rated 40/35 or something so any number below that is basically non existent, defeating the purpose of having it.

With EA Sports, a guy with a zero arm accuracy wouldn't even be able to throw but, again, a QB with 2 dead arms wouldn't even be on a team so what's the point? I think that "0" or "1" should be "shittiest at that thing out of all these players" instead of "blind guy in a coma". The only interesting thing you can do with this range of ratings is something like "Breaking Madden"

https://www.sbnation.com/breaking-madden

where we see what a "0" rating actually means.

I think you need to start with "can play professional sports/is on a team" as the bottom tier and, say, in an NBA game the worst shooter in the league has a "1" rating.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I’ve been playing Ape Out, and while I love the style and the music, the game seems to be progressing less towards corridors and more towards large areas filled with enemies, which makes it much easier to be surrounded. This is also frustrating because the larger areas means that I often just push an enemy away rather than slamming it into a wall, so they still remain a threat.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

BiggerBoat posted:

I think that player ratings in sports games (and some rpgs) are a little hosed

Say they have a 0-100 ratings system where, for speed, 100 is the fastest person in the game. OK no problem. The issue is that a guy with a speed of 2 would basically be crippled. This doesn't make any sense to me since no one with one leg is playing professional sports. "Zero" should be the slowest player in the game not the slowest person that simply exists. As it is now, the slowest player in a game like Madden, NBA or NHL is maybe rated 40/35 or something so any number below that is basically non existent, defeating the purpose of having it.

With EA Sports, a guy with a zero arm accuracy wouldn't even be able to throw but, again, a QB with 2 dead arms wouldn't even be on a team so what's the point? I think that "0" or "1" should be "shittiest at that thing out of all these players" instead of "blind guy in a coma". The only interesting thing you can do with this range of ratings is something like "Breaking Madden"

https://www.sbnation.com/breaking-madden

where we see what a "0" rating actually means.

I think you need to start with "can play professional sports/is on a team" as the bottom tier and, say, in an NBA game the worst shooter in the league has a "1" rating.

I'm betting that one of the reasons is that real life players would have an issue with a video game coming out that had their avatar rated as "0" in anything, even if the game uses zero as "baseline to be in the sport".

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Seeing as every permutation of speedruns exist there ought be other more novel ways to make a challenge-run. Like playing Xenoblade 2 in the same room as your mother without dying of embarrassment.

Any% shameless (all cutscenes)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

SiKboy posted:

I'm betting that one of the reasons is that real life players would have an issue with a video game coming out that had their avatar rated as "0" in anything, even if the game uses zero as "baseline to be in the sport".

All the players were rated by video game reviewers

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SiKboy posted:

I hadn't thought of that but it makes a little sense.

Still, if your lowest rated player overall is scored at 50 it pretty much renders the scale obsolete, at least by half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

everyone's raving about disco elysium and watching my husband play makes it seem cool as hell, but i am just so loving sick of playing dudes in games that i can't bring myself to load it up