Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/richard_littler/status/1177516747911385088

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

twoday posted:

It's been ridiculous the whole time, it's barely a word, but it's the only one on anyone's lips. The proliferation of such a crude portmanteau to the highest reaches of power and most official channels is a wonderful example of the destablizing capabilities and idiocy of the ideas which the word represents. It's one of the most beautiful words in the english language, in a way, because it takes a thousands of years of resentment and history and politics and culture, as well as a complex seemingly endless and nightmarish situation and condenses it into two simple and ugly syllables. It rolls off my tongue like a mouthful of chalk dust, and says everything I could hope to much better than I ever possibly could. Brexit.

nice

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

twoday posted:

It's been ridiculous the whole time, it's barely a word, but it's the only one on anyone's lips. The proliferation of such a crude portmanteau to the highest reaches of power and most official channels is a wonderful example of the destablizing capabilities and idiocy of the ideas which the word represents. It's one of the most beautiful words in the english language, in a way, because it takes a thousands of years of resentment and history and politics and culture, as well as a complex seemingly endless and nightmarish situation and condenses it into two simple and ugly syllables. It rolls off my tongue like a mouthful of chalk dust, and says everything I could hope to much better than I ever possibly could. Brexit.

ya brexit ya bought it

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

twoday posted:

Also, it rhymes with Grexit, which nearly happened before the Brexit process even began.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

He can still keep his promise by showing up dead in a ditch

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
2 people are chiefly responsible for Brexit:

1) Mike Gapes, who decided the options should be Leave or Remain, instead of Stay or Depart.
2) Ebrahim Rahbari, whose term "Grexit" was easily repackaged as Brexit.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
i love that brexit is now the master-signifier of uk politics

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

jBrereton posted:

Mike Gapes

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The beautiful author of this article about why the Iraq War was good lol

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/03/i-ve-been-through-divorce-i-know-what-divorces-are-mike-gapes-pain-leaving

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

CODChimera posted:

This whole thing is so weird. Are we sure these are real people in play?
We're too used to Donald Trump, but usually these things are meant to be a bit stiff.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Brexit is better than Grexit though, because they had an actual crisis with nothing to lose and still didn’t leave, whereas we just went ‘we’re doing great but gently caress straight bananas let’s commit suicide lmaooooooooooooo’

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

You literally have the best deal in the whole EU scheme and are throwing it away because of words on a fecking bus.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

no we're not. some vulture capitalist politicians backed by a complicit media are

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Boris' third letter sent to the EU tonight- "gently caress you, I've never liked you and I'm keeping the dog"

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Best possible response would be "three year extension granted, btw we also got these two other letters which we ignored because they weren't legally binding"

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I feel like brexit tonight
like brexit tonight
brexit tonight

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Cool and good that the UK's stance on EU membership is an "if you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best" Facebook post.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Boris is sending a letter to Tusk to explain that he has rights as a free man under common law, meaning that acts of parliament don't apply to him, only to the admiralty, read magna carta for more info

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
so once the EU greenlights the extension does the boris government immediately fall or do the torys try to ignore the water rising around their necks

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bryter posted:

Boris is sending a letter to Tusk to explain that he has rights as a free man under common law, meaning that acts of parliament don't apply to him, only to the admiralty, read magna carta for more info

I how it ends like the sovereign citizen videos with get tasered?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i'm partial to the one where the pig goes t-1000 and smashes a dude's car window with his bare hands

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL5O4OE3Ees&t=22s

WHERE IS JOHN CONNER

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvnrcyXbqHE

:stare:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Sending an unsigned letter that says "I don't want to but they made me do it" seems really childish to me but I guess that's international politics in general.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
This was probably the most british day so far in the brexit saga.

The final climactic up/down vote, instead parliament voted not to vote on it.

And then the PM sent a letter to the EU requesting an extension and then another letter saying he didnt really want an extension.

Historically, October 19th is a special day for Britain!

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

brexit

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

hakimashou posted:

This was probably the most british day so far in the brexit saga.

The final climactic up/down vote, instead parliament voted not to vote on it.

And then the PM sent a letter to the EU requesting an extension and then another letter saying he didnt really want an extension.

Historically, October 19th is a special day for Britain!

It really was like a Monty Python sketch.

Voting to not vote on it, I mean.

Are there any legal issues w/r/t Boris the Blade not signing the letter? :hmbol:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

spaceblancmange posted:

I feel like brexit tonight
like brexit tonight
brexit tonight

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Preston Waters posted:

Are there any legal issues w/r/t Boris the Blade not signing the letter? :hmbol:

Boris is aware of the truth of legal name fraud, and knows it's actually illegal to use a legal name

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Preston Waters posted:

It really was like a Monty Python sketch.

Voting to not vote on it, I mean.

If you put "UD" or "under duress" next to your signature it doesn't count.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

sullat posted:

wait seriously?

is this a thing in the US as well?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Preston Waters posted:

wait seriously?

is this a thing in the US as well?

Yeah, amongst crazy people. You see it sometimes on tax returns and court documents.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sullat posted:

THIS IS AN ADMIRALTY COURT

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Y'all gonna brexit or what?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Ch-chiggity check yourself before ya brex yaself

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Old Story posted:

it suddenly strikes me as odd that the term "Brexit" is used in like official correspondence et cetera. You'd think it would be popular/media shorthand and the PM would say "our separation from the European Union" in formal contexts, but nope: Brexit.

BREXIT

lets be honest like 90% of the reason leave won the referendum is because brexit is a funny word

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

RIP Bojo deal, only the dead will ever see the end of Brexit

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sending an unsigned letter that says "I don't want to but they made me do it" seems really childish to me but I guess that's international politics in general.

no he signed that one, the unsigned one was literally photocopied from the act of parliament

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

GABA ghoul posted:

the end of Brexit

we're not discussing your crazy fantasy scenarios again grandpa