Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Bofast posted:

Paradox is currently streaming some Battletech mech game from their convention. I think Beet Wagon and some other people here might have been into that sort of thing.

Yeah new DLC for Battletech hell yeah. It's crazy how much money you can get me to spend when you uhhh actually make a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Agony Aunt posted:

To be fair:

ED forums: The devs don't play their own game
Fortmite forums: The devs don't play their own game
Paladins forums: The devs don't play their own game

And those are just the ones i'm personally aware of.
usually this is because they're all being made to work crunch constantly and they basically just do not have time if they ever want to talk to their families

I imagine this is probably true of the recent college grads currently doing most of the work on SC as well

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
StarNews.ca - Star Citizen and the Never Ending Development Cycle

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

My favorite part is "if it wasn't for that toxic endless crunching culture at CIG, those lazy devs would be twiddling their thumbs".

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

monkeytek posted:

Project Management DOES NOT work this way. We always identify critical paths and potential roadblocks and then, I know this is crazy and I don't understand development INTYOOL 2019, we take steps to minimize their impact. This is why competent PM's can give very accurate estimate on delivery dates.
No kidding. Kinda want to post they are full of poo poo, but it's not worth the effort.

I may know nothing of game development, but I've managed a few projects, and this comment is just so wrong.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
However. I will concede this is what project management looks like when you have a constant revenue stream from morons.

Once you have that, who cares about time or budget.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
God I love this game

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

I actually found the DF video incredibly funny, as per usual with any CI¬g orientated video, it features absolutely no gameplay. I mean fair enough, it was a tech demo video to flash at other "Calders" types in the hopes of finding them drunk enough to want to use CI¬g as an easy way to write off a portion of their yearly tax as a 'business expense', it's just unfortunate that it contained exactly the same amount of meaningful or complete gameplay content as the "game" itself. :D

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Man, WTF are these bugs? At least with Elite I can usually imagine how their bugs are caused (it doesn't help that the engine pretty much affect anything, so you can change mission payout and break some mission spawning that's completely unrelated), but with most of these I have no goddamn clue how they manage to screw it up SO MUCH.

IronicDongz posted:

usually this is because they're all being made to work crunch constantly and they basically just do not have time if they ever want to talk to their families

I imagine this is probably true of the recent college grads currently doing most of the work on SC as well

No, this is completely unrelated. It happens mostly in games where the players are super invested into some aspects, while the devs can't be (simply because man-hours, no dev can play 80 hours a week doing some specialized stuff like certain players can). And thus they come to the idea that devs don't play the game. Basically the only games where this doesn't happen are the ones that are so small/simple that all devs had to play them whole while making them (imagine Dead Cells, visual novels, etc). When you pass that threshold, you will be blamed even if you code 8 hours a day and then - aside of family - you play 4 hours a day your game.

This guy is so wrong it's not even funny. I mean, it's continued development - if the devs are left with nothing to do, let them prepare the groundworks for next sprint/quarter? Or maybe let them self-educate, they hit the goals, they deserve it, and the next sprint will be a bit tougher.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Man, WTF are these bugs? At least with Elite I can usually imagine how their bugs are caused (it doesn't help that the engine pretty much affect anything, so you can change mission payout and break some mission spawning that's completely unrelated), but with most of these I have no goddamn clue how they manage to screw it up SO MUCH.

i'm guessing crunch culture. "looks like it works [after i tried it literally once in a single scenario], ship it!"

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Because they hacked apart Cryengine and jammed setpieces in sideways to make screenshots look good. Even more than that, it's because every piece of code you see was designed to emulate the appearance of a video game, rather than being a video game. It sounds like a semantic distinction but it's not. Every part of the engine is dedicated to moving graphics around in a pantomime of what they think an actual video game would look like when being played.

It's probably harder to fake a game than to make a game, so in that sense CIG isn't scared to face a challenge.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

marumaru
May 20, 2013

:lol:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok this is fuckin gold lol!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Secret dev build where everything is working and the merchantman is flyable.

VS.

Most open game dev company in the world.

Chose one citizens.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Fess up. Which one of us is Cintara? Because lol

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
You need a Platinum SCAM account to access this forum:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=212

marumaru
May 20, 2013

kilus aof posted:

You need a Platinum SCAM account to access this forum:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=212

not cool chris roberts

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
YOUTUBE: Star Citizen Turns 7, Still Doesn’t Exist

quote:

Okay fine, it “exists”, but come on.

YT channel “Inside Gaming”, with 1.47 million subscribers.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sandweed posted:

Secret dev build where everything is working and the merchantman is flyable.

VS.

Most open game dev company in the world.

Chose one citizens.

I choose to hold two contradicatory things in my mind at once!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

G0RF posted:

"It sounds a bit like No Man's Sky"

PMSL

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OngP6uEfQoE

Videos like this are why i've given up on Digital Foundry and written them off as nothing more than a shill piece. This is a pretty bad Star Citizen video that does nothing more than shill for CIG and try to be an advertising piece for the game.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I said come in! posted:

Videos like this are why i've given up on Digital Foundry and written them off as nothing more than a shill piece. This is a pretty bad Star Citizen video that does nothing more than shill for CIG and try to be an advertising piece for the game.
This video is so bad it single-handedly made me drop my Patreon pledge, but out of curiosity, do you have some specific examples of other videos like this that made you write them off? Admittedly I don't watch every single video DF makes, but I really haven't noticed anything remotely this egregious on their channel before.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

G0RF posted:

quote:

The fact that they’re still selling more ships to backers, that feels... a little weird. Like why are you still doing this?

Because they need the money.

But they raised 300 million dollars!

But they ran through all of it! That’s the thing!

Yeah that’s pretty much the mainstream layman’s opinion on this mess. We all know the rabbit hole goes much deeper, but most average gamers wrote this whole mess off as vaporware years ago.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Agony Aunt posted:

To be fair:

ED forums: The devs don't play their own game
Fortmite forums: The devs don't play their own game
Paladins forums: The devs don't play their own game

And those are just the ones i'm personally aware of.

Developers not playing their own game isn't new, Gary stark who made awesome games like Pit-fighter has never played it, or any game for that matter. He had other people telling him if parts of the game were a broken piece of poo poo.

CIG is being told their game is a broken piece of poo poo and they do exactly nothing but clear out the issue council after every patch, then claim everything works.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

stingtwo posted:

Developers not playing their own game isn't new, Gary stark who made awesome games like Pit-fighter has never played it, or any game for that matter. He had other people telling him if parts of the game were a broken piece of poo poo.
That sounds a bit unusual and maybe out of context (?). Is there a citation for an intervew of him claiming that?

I mean "play" can mean lots of things. You don't have to play your game from start to finish with every bug fix, and technically you don't have to play other games to be a game developer. You kind of do ought to play-test your own code though, even if it's on some testbed platform or in some debugging mode (so you can directly test the results of your changes without playing the whole game or even complete game sections -- typically, there will be other people to do that).

In any case, it takes a special kind of naivety to go live streaming an alpha version of a game that is years in development and demo a game section/aspect that is supposedly what you've been working on, to a crowd that actually both funds the development and has been play testing your game regularly reporting bugs through the proper channels you've made available to them. You're kind of "screwed" if you stumble on one or more show-stopper bug(s) and even more so if those have been reported since forever.

And, of course, then you have Chris trying to play his own game for what seems to be the first time ever on a live stream, which... I don't know what he thought would happen. At least he got to experience first hand the unfinished state of everything, I guess.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Quavers posted:

By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings!

Sodium intake is indeed unheatlhy though. Sodium chloride on the other hand...

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

AbstractNapper posted:

That sounds a bit unusual and maybe out of context (?). Is there a citation for an intervew of him claiming that?

I mean "play" can mean lots of things. You don't have to play your game from start to finish with every bug fix, and technically you don't have to play other games to be a game developer. You kind of do ought to play-test your own code though, even if it's on some testbed platform or in some debugging mode (so you can directly test the results of your changes without playing the whole game or even complete game sections -- typically, there will be other people to do that).

In any case, it takes a special kind of naivety to go live streaming an alpha version of a game that is years in development and demo a game section/aspect that is supposedly what you've been working on, to a crowd that actually both funds the development and has been play testing your game regularly reporting bugs through the proper channels you've made available to them. You're kind of "screwed" if you stumble on one or more show-stopper bug(s) and even more so if those have been reported since forever.

And, of course, then you have Chris trying to play his own game for what seems to be the first time ever on a live stream, which... I don't know what he thought would happen. At least he got to experience first hand the unfinished state of everything, I guess.

I base Gary Stark based on a Gurularry video youtube.com/watch?v=sKk36WKWGUs?t=774, quotes are from https://www.digitpress.com/library/newsletters/digitalpress/dp68.pdf on page 11 and https://issuu.com/michelfranca/docs/retro_gamer____137 on pages 72-75

CIG is so far in the dark of whats actually broken because the community managers are not doing their actual jobs of being the go between the community reporting the issues people are having and the developers working on the game. All they are doing is putting on a weekly show but it means so little if the people on the show are not informed of the issues of the game and answering dumb loving questions like how will the vegan NPC's react to progen breakfast when it eggs. It's just window dressing "hey we work on this part of the game, love us because we have your money."

The livestream hilarity is because Chris is being lied to by others by the state of where the project it actually is.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
:lol:
That post hits so many notes.
- I've never noticed a problem with X, so your complaint is invalid.
- We are not shown a lot of what is finished, despite the most open development ever. Your complaint is invalid.
- You don't know what you're talking about because you did not take all of CIG's BS and the theorycrafting of backers as 100% proof of things being fine. Your complaint is invalid.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Drunk Theory posted:

I may know nothing of game development, but I've managed a few projects, and this comment is just so wrong.

Project management techniques in game development are a fascinating subject. I wrote my MSc thesis on applying requirements engineering and other project management techniques to game development projects, and the incompatibilities that prevent them from being used. I'm currently applying for a doctoral candidate position with the hopes of doing more work on the subject.

Suffice it to say, the cultist is full of poo poo and doesn't have any idea what he's talking about. I guess that's what happens when you go to the University of I Quickly Glanced at a Wikipedia Article.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Der Shovel posted:

Project management techniques in game development are a fascinating subject. I wrote my MSc thesis on applying requirements engineering and other project management techniques to game development projects, and the incompatibilities that prevent them from being used. I'm currently applying for a doctoral candidate position with the hopes of doing more work on the subject.

Suffice it to say, the cultist is full of poo poo and doesn't have any idea what he's talking about. I guess that's what happens when you go to the University of I Quickly Glanced at a Wikipedia Article.

There was some guy who came into the SC sub ages ago to promote his book (On agile development) and constantly repeated that CIG are doing a great job with their agile project methodology.

I think his points were - They are using Jira. They have milestones and sprints, therefore its Agile.

I'm pretty sure a lot of these people have never worked a day in any sort of management capacity.

The aforementioned guy has gone strangely silent...

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Quavers posted:

Idris jpeg pre-order: 7 years and counting :homebrew:

The funny part is that although they've completed 66% of the ships, they've done the easiest / small ones.

The hard ones, the ones that are gigantic and require many times more effort than a single small ship, are the ones that aren't done / started yet.

So although in terms of quantities they can be proud of having completed 66% of the promised ships, in terms of work and effort, completing the remaining 33% is going to be a serious pain and will probably take more time than all the previous ships combined.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Baxta posted:

There was some guy who came into the SC sub ages ago to promote his book (On agile development) and constantly repeated that CIG are doing a great job with their agile project methodology.

I think his points were - They are using Jira. They have milestones and sprints, therefore its Agile.

I'm pretty sure a lot of these people have never worked a day in any sort of management capacity.

The aforementioned guy has gone strangely silent...

Meanwhile there are still two (or more) reddit users consistently providing "progress report" breakdowns. I think one of them is the "no bamboozles" guy.

The whole thing is :psyduck: af

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

stingtwo posted:

I base Gary Stark based on a Gurularry video youtube.com/watch?v=sKk36WKWGUs?t=774, quotes are from https://www.digitpress.com/library/newsletters/digitalpress/dp68.pdf on page 11 and https://issuu.com/michelfranca/docs/retro_gamer____137 on pages 72-75
I appreciate the links! Looks like interesting stuff.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

counterpoint: