Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Charles posted:

It's a cool sounding powertrain but I don't think I'd want to be the beta tester.
Mercedes is already using something similar in the *53 AMG vehicles but with a turbo I6 instead of an I4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mr. Apollo posted:

Mercedes is already using something similar in the *53 AMG vehicles but with a turbo I6 instead of an I4.

Yeah I was wondering why wouldn't they get that and boost it to gently caress, or a 9k rpm NA screamer of an engine, WITH the hybrid stuff as well.

Has there been a highly strung NA engine paired with a hybrid for torque fill yet

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The days of internal combustion engines are pretty much numbered at this point, so it's hard to get too worked up about decisions like this.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Average AMG buyer almost certainly doesn't care.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah I was wondering why wouldn't they get that and boost it to gently caress, or a 9k rpm NA screamer of an engine, WITH the hybrid stuff as well.

Has there been a highly strung NA engine paired with a hybrid for torque fill yet
Porsche 918. Older Accord V6 hybrid?

Torque fill makes the most sense to hide turbo lag, though. It lets you run smaller displacement and still keep big boost and endless top end, you can avoid LSPI from cruising RPM.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

A friend of mine absolutely has his heart set on a V8 coupe and has been waiting for the reveal of this next gen C63 to pull the trigger. He's going to be so pissed.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Russian Bear posted:

Don't think this is really true, at least for the C series. The V8 is a huge part of the appeal there given that the usual competitors have all moved to 6es. Anyone who just wants an expensive Mercedes to show off ends up in an E or an S depending on how much they want to show off.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Knee jerk reaction is to dislike change, but let’s see what they manage to pull off.

I got a free upgrade last week to a Mustang Convertible rental and I was pleasantly surprised with the performance of the EcoBoost 4 banger in it. I remember when it was announced and people were skeptical for sure

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Status symbol gets more efficient. outrage ensues.

Does The V8 really matter in this case beyond trying to see Scotty Kilmer replace those valley turbos in 10 years?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Rigged Death Trap posted:

LaFerrari.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Mr. Apollo posted:

Apparently the next gen C63 (W206) is dropping the twin turbo V8 for the 4 cylinder from the A45 that puts out 415HP along with the electric motor boost system from the *53 cars.

https://twitter.com/loballan/status/1184726642041729024

Oh cool, we can get to see 63's poo poo their motors all over the road too!

Russian Bear posted:

Yes they will. oooooh I bet they will, especially given the loud, obnoxious, mean sounding, fat rear end image they have.

The cars are pretty loud and mean sounding too.

quote:

Does The V8 really matter in this case

For the average Clarkson or footballer who are in the main the actual buyers rather than us....? Yeah, it will.

TBH it makes no sense at all. A high strung turbo four in a big chassis even with hybrid fill? Yeaaaaaah nah. Should have just bitten the bullet and gone full EV.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I had a former coworker buy an X5 xdrive50i over a Volvo XC90 T8 because the XC90 sounded like a compact car when you had the windows down and the X5 sounded good with the windows down.

He is exactly the same person that would buy a c63 AMG because it has a mean sounding V8.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Paradoxish posted:

The days of internal combustion engines are pretty much numbered at this point, so it's hard to get too worked up about decisions like this.

I will really miss the loving things when they go.
God Im going to witness the age of the best cars ever created (That I will never experience :smith:) and then also their demise.

Heres hoping the electric miata will still be fun.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KillHour posted:

A friend of mine absolutely has his heart set on a V8 coupe and has been waiting for the reveal of this next gen C63 to pull the trigger. He's going to be so pissed.
I’m in the same boat. :/

I’m not pissed, just disappointed as the loud V8 was a big part of the appeal to me. I might try and pick up one later next year before the stop production.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 19, 2019

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

kill me now posted:

I had a former coworker buy an X5 xdrive50i over a Volvo XC90 T8 because the XC90 sounded like a compact car when you had the windows down and the X5 sounded good with the windows down.

He is exactly the same person that would buy a c63 AMG because it has a mean sounding V8.

I mean, one is an AWD, SUV family hauler and one is a sport sedan/coupe, so that's a fairly stupid comparison. It's not weird to have opinions how your sports car sounds and how it delivers power.

Those AMG V8s are great engines and some of the last of their kind. It may be a great car with a new powertrain but it will certainly be a different one.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 19, 2019

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

So any of you who are praising the current Benz V8, would you own one out of warranty?

I'm sure it'll go like a rocketship and they will pump in some fake noise and everyone leasing one of those will be plenty happy.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

skipdogg posted:

Knee jerk reaction is to dislike change, but let’s see what they manage to pull off.

I got a free upgrade last week to a Mustang Convertible rental and I was pleasantly surprised with the performance of the EcoBoost 4 banger in it. I remember when it was announced and people were skeptical for sure

Someone I know got a four cylinder Mustang rental the other week. He happens to know a local tuner. So they tuned it for the week he had it (piggyback race chip). Apparently it was as fast as an M3. Just with a clip on chip that installed in a couple of minutes.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh cool, we can get to see 63's poo poo their motors all over the road too!

What’s the story here?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Ultimate Mango posted:

What’s the story here?

High-strung four pots aren't as durable as "unstressed" V8s?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

But are some of those new mild my rid meds dropping their motors or something? Just seemed an odd comment out of context.

That all being sad, the ability to get a hot vee TTv8 was certainly a factor in my recent car purchase. I figure in 3 or 6 years it will be a straight six hybrid or BEV. I didn’t go merc, but the same feelings are certainly elicited.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Twin turbo is "unstressed"?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I mean, one is an AWD, SUV family hauler and one is a sport sedan/coupe, so that's a fairly stupid comparison. It's not weird to have opinions how your sports car sounds and how it delivers power.

Those AMG V8s are great engines and some of the last of their kind. It may be a great car with a new powertrain but it will certainly be a different one.

Some people have issues when their $80k vehicle sounds like a cheap compact car. I doesn’t matter if it’s an SUV or a performance sedan.

If it’s enough of an issue to get a buyer to choose one SUV over another SUV then it is a big enough issue to get someone to buy a different performance sedan over another.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Ultimate Mango posted:

But are some of those new mild my rid meds dropping their motors or something? Just seemed an odd comment out of context.
The first gen *63 vehicles with the 6.3L V8 had problems with the head bolts snapping. It was due to the head bolts corroding due to leaking coolant. MB addressed the issue by changing the head gasket design and using thicker head bolts in the later models.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Russian Bear posted:

So any of you who are praising the current Benz V8, would you own one out of warranty?

I'm sure it'll go like a rocketship and they will pump in some fake noise and everyone leasing one of those will be plenty happy.

There’s a good thread somewhere on the internet about someone who bought an R63 AMG and then rebuilt the engine himself because it was better than paying $57,000 out of pocket for a replacement engine.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Russian Bear posted:

I dunno, I've only ever shopped new or lightly used ones and generally don't own cars out of warranty regardless. But I also don't think the math on that is gonna change any when they move to a hybrid powertrain with a high strung i4. Does that sound more reliable and cheaper to fix?

It's absolutely gonna be a problem with the current target market for the c63. Maybe they tap a new market but a lot of the people who buy it currently are buying it for the engine. And I'd wager most are buying, not leasing. The lease rates on them are usually pretty terrible.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

What’s the story here?

making GBS threads crankshafts from what Ive seen for myself.

Russian Bear posted:

Twin turbo is "unstressed"?

Compared to the 4 cyl? Absolutly

I wouldn't own a AMG to begin with even if I had disposable income but over a I4 already that's been harder pushed to make some power? Oh hell yes, V8 over the I4 anyday. Stop and think about this for a moment - a big already heavy car and you are going jam in a I4 that is already pretty pumped with a hybrid, so there is no way you will be any lighter? Does this sound like a good idea to you because to me it sounds like a truly stupid one.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Does this sound like a good idea to you because to me it sounds like a truly stupid one.

We need an automotive industry marketing thread.

Because the bad ideas are always the ones that win, and market research somehow backs them up. Every time I do a focus group I’m the outlier...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

making GBS threads crankshafts from what Ive seen for myself.

Compared to the 4 cyl? Absolutly

I wouldn't own a AMG to begin with even if I had disposable income but over a I4 already that's been harder pushed to make some power? Oh hell yes, V8 over the I4 anyday. Stop and think about this for a moment - a big already heavy car and you are going jam in a I4 that is already pretty pumped with a hybrid, so there is no way you will be any lighter? Does this sound like a good idea to you because to me it sounds like a truly stupid one.

I wonder if they'll try to lighten the car for the new model though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I guarantee the new C63 will be faster and better to drive in every way compared to the current gen. But it won't make a sound like the Earth is being pulled apart behind it and that's like 90% of the reason you'd want one.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I want to see an electric conversion of a OG Mini or Miata please

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KillHour posted:

I guarantee the new C63 will be faster and better to drive in every way compared to the current gen.

It's gonna need a hefty EV side of the hybrid to beat 700Nm

quote:

But it won't make a sound like the Earth is being pulled apart behind it and that's like 90% of the reason you'd want one.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Solus posted:

I want to see an electric conversion of a OG Mini or Miata please

Apologies for the double post.... how about a 2CV and a OG Mini Moke?

https://www.facebook.com/GT-Tooling-119150228098/

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KillHour posted:

I guarantee the new C63 will be faster and better to drive in every way compared to the current gen. But it won't make a sound like the Earth is being pulled apart behind it and that's like 90% of the reason you'd want one.

Yeah it will, it will just be fake V8 sounds coming through the speakers :v:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

kill me now posted:

I remember reading when MB does customer surveys the exhaust sound is given as one of the biggest selling points over a non-AMG MB.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I don't know why the would go 4 banger when they just built a sweet I6.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wrar posted:

I don't know why the would go 4 banger when they just built a sweet I6.

China

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Just make the fake engine noise speaker get louder with the windows down so dumb AMG buyers think that they're totally blowing everyone away with their sweet exhaust sounds

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

Just make the fake engine noise speaker get louder with the windows down so dumb AMG buyers think that they're totally blowing everyone away with their sweet exhaust sounds

External engine note speakers.

Finally something to put in those fake exhaust tips.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Just lol at the appeal of an AMG car with the same powertrain layout as a Prius. I don't blame the guy for walking out.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Almost as dumb as Cadillac refusing to put a V8 in any of their cars except the Escalade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

JK Fresco posted:

Almost as dumb as Cadillac refusing to put a V8 in any of their cars except the Escalade

Hey now, they put a V8 in one then immediately discontinued it