Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Thank you SomethingAwful forum poster Silver Falcon for the amazing insights that kids are all different, 8 year olds are developmentally more advanced than 6 year olds, and that video games are for fun.

In the future, when making recommendations regarding your favorite game I will not give context as to why I made them and instead will suggest that they spend 60 bucks on a game that at best they won't fully engage with for years and at worst they will actively be frustrated with.
I'm 6 years old and I loved BOTW and was able to beat it pretty easily. Sorry your child sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

So I have a correction to make:

Last night I posted that the true ending Area of Blaster Master Zero 1 had no save points which is why I gave up when it turns out there IS a save point that I either didn't find before my break or flew right past, blind to it.

Secondly, you can STRAFE?! I went through that entire loving game wishing it was possible to strafe, if I had knew that I would've crushed that boss rush and gotten the true ending myself!

In the end, I am dumb and retract my statement of the endgame being bullshit.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The real answer is not to buy Breath of the Wild because it's not that great

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
4 chapters in on Astral Chain and it seems pretty great. Playing on casual and it's pretty easy so far, but the story/concept/presentation are so good I'm really enjoying it.

Played through The Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors a couple of times. Definitely like that they added the arcade music, that first track is so good. Pretty solid SNES beat'em up, does get a little annoying at times when enemies move off screen. One of the new characters was ok, the other has a really awkward control scheme that seemed complicated for no reason.

Edit: Bonus unrelated question, why did the retro thread disappear?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The real answer is not to buy Breath of the Wild because it's not that great

Goodbye, to the next two pages of the thread.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If I was 8 I'd be raging if some nerd dad bought me BOTW

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
The real answer is to buy Breath of the Wild and not post about it in this thread

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LODGE NORTH posted:

If I buy a game digitally, that I currently own physically, does it use the same save?
Usually, yes. There's a very small number of physical releases that use a different title ID than the digital one, so if you have both you have two home screen icons and separate saves. Probably the easiest way to tell is to look up the game on nintendo.com and see if there's a "Buy physical" link.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So my original joycons have this issue where when detached from the console itself I assume the signal gets interference and will start freaking out and not registering inputs but physically they’re fine. Is this the dreaded joycon drift or some other issue? And if so are they endemic to the joycon hardware or an issue with my switch overall? I wanna get the purple spice joycons but I don’t want them to not work properly

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Kiranamos posted:

Goodbye, to the next two pages of the thread.

Thread durability is low.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
My kid turns 7 in a few weeks and can't even handle controlling the camera with the analog stick in DQXI, despite us playing it together for like a year. It takes him like a minute just to get his character turned around, forget about actually navigating anywhere in any sort of timeframe below "frustrated and attention waning".

He loves to watch me play though.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Cartoon Violence posted:

Secondly, you can STRAFE?! I went through that entire loving game wishing it was possible to strafe, if I had knew that I would've crushed that boss rush and gotten the true ending myself!

In the end, I am dumb and retract my statement of the endgame being bullshit.

lol I knew it

I knew it as soon as you said you had trouble with the crab boss, because that's exactly where I had trouble until I noticed the strafe buttons, then I beat him without taking a single hit

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Takoluka posted:

YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

I'm now playing Bayonetta for the first time. The only thing I knew about the game was what I could glean from Smash Ultimate. Also the only Platinum game I've played is Nier Automata. Holy mackerel just this prologue was completely insane.

RandomFerret posted:

lol I knew it

I knew it as soon as you said you had trouble with the crab boss, because that's exactly where I had trouble until I noticed the strafe buttons, then I beat him without taking a single hit

And here I thought I was a Galaxy Brain Gamer when I was using AutoHotKey to grind levels on a PC game while letting an idle game run while also playing better games on my Switch. Looks like I have a lot to learn!

Cartoon Violence fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 20, 2019

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The story in Bayonetta is so loving bad that it distracted me from the game. Some of it was fun to play but there's so much absolute nonsense happening in cutscenes. I wanted to love it.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Dumb question, I'm sure, but if i went out and bought a switch today, how can i know or be sure I'm getting the most recent hardware updated version?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The Bananana posted:

Dumb question, I'm sure, but if i went out and bought a switch today, how can i know or be sure I'm getting the most recent hardware updated version?

The box for the newest version is red:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Takoluka posted:

Throw it?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The story in Bayonetta is so loving bad that it distracted me from the game. Some of it was fun to play but there's so much absolute nonsense happening in cutscenes. I wanted to love it.

I liked it. It's super camp. Pretend you're at a drag show skewering super hero games

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I threw my JoyCon at the TV and the JoyCon shattered.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I only played three missions of Bayo1 but Enzo is the greatest character in literary history.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bayonetta is the most powerful Princess in Nintendo canon

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

Edit: Bonus unrelated question, why did the retro thread disappear?

Moved to the new retro sub. Also a new mobile sub.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Ring Fit Adventure Trip report: Im so loving out of shape my dog is laughing at me

Full disclosure, If you don't regularly exercise at all and this game asks you how much you exercise, don't be a tough guy, don't a fool, call me.
I'll tell ya to tell the truth, pull up your adult pants and dig deep, this job/game will kill you and the people that surrounding you in life and who rooted for you will know your a fraud.
Tell the game/world the truth you're a clown, fat, stupid and unqualified,
but with a little help Ring Fit Adventure can mold you into a better person
or we'll throw you out

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cartoon Violence posted:

I'm now playing Bayonetta for the first time. The only thing I knew about the game was what I could glean from Smash Ultimate. Also the only Platinum game I've played is Nier Automata. Holy mackerel just this prologue was completely insane.

You ain’t seen poo poo yet. Keep posting updates as you go through the game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Midjack posted:

Moved to the new retro sub. Also a new mobile sub.

While I have retro threads bookmarked already, and from them I can find the subforum, I don't see it when browsing normally. Does the Awful app need to be updated or something? That's what I'm currently using.

Edit: I love Invisible Inc... Would I likely enjoy Into the Breach?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 20, 2019

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

While I have retro threads bookmarked already, and from them I can find the subforum, I don't see it when browsing normally. Does the Awful app need to be updated or something? That's what I'm currently using.

I see it under Games

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

American McGay posted:

I'm 6 years old and I loved BOTW and was able to beat it pretty easily. Sorry your child sucks.

Touché

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

bushisms.txt posted:

Hat in time was also created by gamer gaters, which is why era didn't hype it

Isn't Hat in Time also the game that had some weird history with modded Mario 64 code or was that some other kickstarted game?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Refresh the forums list. Pull down on iPhone or find it in the menu commands on android.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Your Computer posted:

I already knew some people boycotted the game because the devs didn't remove the voiceline from jontron, and I do agree that's lovely (even if it's just a little voice clip on a random npc) but did they say/do more or is that the extent of "the devs are gamergaters"? :ohdear:

There was a bit of a schism in the dev team about the JonTron issue. But iirc the main point of shittiness was the lead dev. Who also had a bad history with plagiarizing and stealing game mods for a different game.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Why play Hat in Time when Mario Odyssey is right there? I bought it on PC after a sale and its ok I guess. I didn't even know about the Jontron drama but I definitely haven't had any desire to go back to it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

Why play Hat in Time when Mario Odyssey is right there? I bought it on PC after a sale and its ok I guess. I didn't even know about the Jontron drama but I definitely haven't had any desire to go back to it

I thought it was a cute game and I've already finished Mario Odyssey. I was tempted to replay it but I guess it can join my ever-increasing pile of indie games made by crappy people. :smith:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Loads of reports online that A Hat runs like poo poo on Switch. Lags on the very first level. The devs on twitter today mentioned they're aware of issues but it looks like it was release wayyyy too early.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
I got every single moon in odyssey and ive been desperate for more odyssey for a long time, but the only two similar switch games both involve jontron and I'm not going to lower myself to that

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

What's the second game?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Live Free posted:

I got every single moon in odyssey and ive been desperate for more odyssey for a long time, but the only two similar switch games both involve jontron and I'm not going to lower myself to that

Yooka-Laylee patched out jontron immediately after he went on his racist rant. Otoh it is also pretty bad (and I really wanted to love it, so that hurts).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The first Yooka-Laylee. Unlike Hat in Time, the Yooka-Laylee developers pretty promptly removed his voice work prior to release.

Efb. There's a second one now that's much, much better than the first: Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Araxxor posted:

There was a bit of a schism in the dev team about the JonTron issue. But iirc the main point of shittiness was the lead dev. Who also had a bad history with plagiarizing and stealing game mods for a different game.
oh, yeesh :(

Wamdoodle posted:

I really enjoyed it when I played it back when it came out, and I think it was one of the best 3D platformers in recent years (not that they had a lot of competition). It also came out before Mario Odyssey so we didn't have that to compare it to :v: As for why play it, I mean... why play any game? Why play Mario Odyssey when Mario 64 exists? It's nice to have variety and new games to play.

sucks to hear about the lead dev tho, and it's not surprising to hear the port runs bad either (the game had some issues even on a modern PC) I wasn't in a hurry to buy it since I've already played it, but I'll probably just skip it in this case.

Stickman posted:

Efb. There's a second one now that's much, much better than the first: Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair!
it's also a completely different genre though. I just want a good 3D platformer :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Your Computer posted:

I just want a good 3D platformer :negative:

You know, Turok is technically a platformer and is 3D. Does that count? :v: