Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I never really saw Singh as a Mulcair style centrist and I'm not sure if he ever 'tried that on'.

In the leadership race he wasn't repeating crowd pleasing Bernie talking points, but he was talking about other things that no one else was talking about that are more directly relevant to urbanites and the 905 area code he grew up in. Things like carding and drug decriminalization. He staked out his own distinctive turf here but that meant he wasn't as active in these typical leftist discussions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

https://www.ndp.ca/economy

Jesus christ you guys.

Do I need to buy platinum to dig up all your dumb gently caress posts about how jagmeet lacks charisma so now you have to vote for Prime Minstrel SNC Aladdin?

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

infernal machines posted:

You really need to post the statement though

Oh man, I wanna know who it was and what was stolen

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BGrifter posted:

It does! That's the cynicism I refer to. I'm choosing to be cautiously optimistic despite the evidence/history.

It's less that I trust Singh to actually follow through on what he's saying and more that I'm just thrilled *anybody* with a significant platform is saying it.

So, I feel the need to point to "We will take action to ensure that 2015 will be the last federal election conducted under the first-past-the-post voting system"

I'm voting for Andrew Cash, who is an NDP candidate. However, I think voting for a party because their leader has suddenly and to great effect chosen to adopt leftist rhetoric may be disappointing in the long run.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 20, 2019

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

So, I feel the need to point to "We will take action to ensure that 2015 will be the last federal election conducted under the first-past-the-post voting system"

Yep, that's definitely a good reason not to vote liberal. I dunno how it's relevant to this discussion.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

There has been a recall on Zantac and all its generic brands (ranitidine) due to possible contamination of NDMA (rocket fuel, carcinogen).

Since 2019 began this is the fourth drug to have this exact same contamination problem (valsartan, irbesartan, losartan, now ranitidine).

Im bringing this up because anyone that posts here probably has high blood pressure and stomach problems (:v:), so contact your pharmacy if youre taking them and havnt already been called. If you have the over the counter brand/generic you should probably return it as well.

Unless things have changed in the last 3 or 4 days this doesn't apply to Zantac bought in Canada. My husband had some and was worried about it, and it turns out while it applies to Zantac from the US, UK, Europe, etc. the Canadian stuff is made at a different factory or something that the warning didn't apply to.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

half cocaine posted:

Jesus christ you guys.

Do I need to buy platinum to dig up all your dumb gently caress posts about how jagmeet lacks charisma so now you have to vote for Prime Minstrel SNC Aladdin?

My small nitpick is the reintroduction of 30 year mortgages. I don't see how allowing banks to collect more interest is good? But otherwise, mostly pretty good.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ardent Communist posted:

Yep, that's definitely a good reason not to vote liberal. I dunno how it's relevant to this discussion.

It's relevant because it turns out if the party leader just suddenly starts spouting correct thought, you should probably be at least a little suspicious of their willingness to follow through

Vote how you like, just don't get all weepy if it isn't quite as advertised

half cocaine posted:

That's like three people ITT tops

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 20, 2019

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

half cocaine posted:

Jesus christ you guys.

I'll gladly admit to being one to make this post and being wrong. He's gotten much better over the months and definitely hit his stride.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

brucio posted:

My small nitpick is the reintroduction of 30 year mortgages. I don't see how allowing banks to collect more interest is good? But otherwise, mostly pretty good.

:same:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

It's relevant because it turns out if the party leader just suddenly starts spouting correct thought, you should probably be at least a little suspicious of their willingness to follow through

Oh I'm extremely suspicious.

I was a disgruntled NDP-voter with a non-entity local candidate. I very much wanted a reason to support the party with my vote, but expected to hear the usual "hurf blurf middle class" pablum and running away from the more progressive elements in the party platform. Instead Singh is at least nodding his head in the right direction, and for me that's enough this cycle.

It may all be gamesmanship and he'll immediately sell out to the Libs post-election. But none of the other parties are even remotely acceptable. I've moved from the "I'm mucking my ballot, all these options are poo poo" category into the "hey, I'll throw my local candidate a vote with a smile" camp.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BGrifter posted:

But none of the other parties are even remotely acceptable. I've moved from the "I'm mucking my ballot, all these options are poo poo" category into the "hey, I'll throw my local candidate a vote with a smile" camp.

Word. I'm not saying there are better choices, just, you know, prepare yourself.

I remember people getting real emotional after the last election, when it became apparent that our brown-faced saviour was not in fact the dreamboat he presented on the campaign trail.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Word. I'm not saying there are better choices, just, you know, prepare yourself.

I remember people getting real emotional after the last election, when it became apparent that our brown-faced saviour was not in fact the dreamboat he presented on the campaign trail.

I was fortunate enough to have the traditional Canadian experience of "Hey, maybe the Libs aren't so bad, I'll give them a shot... OH GOD EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS" before JT came along, so that helped.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

HookShot posted:

Unless things have changed in the last 3 or 4 days this doesn't apply to Zantac bought in Canada. My husband had some and was worried about it, and it turns out while it applies to Zantac from the US, UK, Europe, etc. the Canadian stuff is made at a different factory or something that the warning didn't apply to.

https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2019/71029a-eng.php

Updated yesterday to include Zantac.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

HookShot posted:

It's literally a problem with the actual drug being unstable. It doesn't matter where it's manufactured.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If Jagmeet decided to abandon Third Way Centrism for pragmatic reasons rather than having some personal epiphany, that's good news. It means people are finally giving up on that failed ideology whose main attraction was winning at any cost.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ah cool, thanks. Will get my husband to toss his now.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Another Bill posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I was in #diefenbunker the other day and Cultural Imperial was in there talking poo poo about your politics and I was like lol dude really still

You left an impression on that one.

CI pm me your new account tia

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Alizee posted:

I'll gladly admit to being one to make this post and being wrong. He's gotten much better over the months and definitely hit his stride.

I just think he's been louder and more confident, it's not like the platform wasn't there before. Someone must have realized that the NDP especially can't just have a good idea and float it out there because most of the media will intentionally ignore it, unless they can find something to pick at, like the Leap Manifesto. If you read the NP like I do (don't ask why, I think I might just hate myself) you'll notice the increasingly terse dismissals of the NDP. He's significantly different from the Liberal/Conservative status quo, but he's not easy to laugh at like May or Bernier, and so they're getting increasingly insistent that their platform is just so unrealistic that they couldn't possibly even talk about him now let's consider the plight of the middle class Albertan blah blah etc. So the party has finally learned that Jagmeet needs to raise his voice a bit to be heard, and once he got in some debates and met people on the campaign trail, they responded very positively.

I hope they keep it up for however long this next government lasts, since it seems like either they're going to have influence on a Liberal agenda, or effectively being the opposition while the Liberals lay low and prop up a Conservative minority, and the chances of any other party's leader coming out of this Parliament looking like a good leader are basically nil. He's only going to keep looking better compared to the others, as long as the public remembers him.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Tsyni posted:

It's literally a problem with the actual drug being unstable. It doesn't matter where it's manufactured.

Unstable when exposed to temperatures much greater than the drug would normally see, no?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

TrueChaos posted:

Unstable when exposed to temperatures much greater than the drug would normally see, no?

When stored, yes. But it turns out that ranitidine is sufficiently unstable that it can form variable levels of nitrosamines when exposed to nitrites at the levels of pH found in the stomach.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 20, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eXXon posted:

If Jagmeet decided to abandon Third Way Centrism for pragmatic reasons rather than having some personal epiphany, that's good news. It means people are finally giving up on that failed ideology whose main attraction was winning at any cost.

Sure, just keep in mind that the best case outcome from this election is a Liberal-NDP coalition, and that means the NDP supporting a lot of milquetoast bullshit just to keep the government afloat. So regardless of what Jagmeet Singh is saying just now, it's not necessarily going to have a lot to do with the actual legislation, this also shouldn't be some huge unforeseen betrayal either.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

brucio posted:

Increasing a mortgage from 25 to 30 years reduces the monthly payments. Knocking a couple hundred off the monthly payments can open up options for what people can afford within their budget, even if three decades down the road they may have paid more interest overall. Even then, a lot of mortgages allow annual lump sum payments that can offset that difference.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
If a NDP-LPC coalition results in voting reform that's good enough for me.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Yeah, ya'll just dont gently caress up.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
People shouldn't have illusions about the NDP. Even if their intentions are good the party is nowhere near committed enough to actually carry through major reforms, at least for now. They don't have any kind of comprehensive mission or ideology and are still a thoroughly neoliberal party, they just happen to be left-neoliberals who want to work within the market system to improve people's lives. Just look at Greece if you want an example of what happens when a contemporary leftist populist party is actually confronted by capital - they fold. Or for that matter just look at the record of NDP provincial government, which oscillates between disappointing and abjectly terrible.

What matters is that Jagmeet was forced by circumstances into loudly advertising a leftist program. He did this after trying and failing to capture people's attention with a substance free and personality driven approach and I wouldn't dismiss the risk that he'll try to revert back to such a stance if the opportunity beckons. Fundamentally, the NDP will see any sacrifices or sell outs they make as being necessary moves to secure victory and implement at least a few good policies. When they inevitably end up betraying us they'll do it with clean consciences, firmly convinced they made a "hard" choice that had to be made. They'll think the purists on the outside simply don't understand the nuances of governance and tell themselves they did what was necessary.

Nevertheless, they were forced into offering some decent policies and people have responded with increased support and enthusiasm. That is worth supporting. Try to get involved, inquire about riding association meetings, insist on showing up to party events, try to network with other people there, look for local groups working adjacent to the NDP. I've been close to giving up on the party for a while now but at this moment I think the only real option is to support them for the moment and see exactly how things play out over the next year or two. Do it without sentimentality or false optimism, but for God's sake do it. A party prominently running on a wealth tax to pay for dental care and prescription drugs is about as far left as the current Canadian political system can accommodate and we need to be ready to push hard to open more space for a left-wing movement, on the hopes that events in the international arena might yield further opportunities down the line.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I was sceptical of Jagmeet when his answers to important events were frequently no-meaning pablum. Canada helped legitimize the right-wing led attempted coup of Venezuela and his response was so middle of the fence, afraid to offend that you actually couldn’t tell what he was saying.

Let’s also not forget that the NDP housing plan once released was basically help to take on more debt.

Since he was chosen as leader, the global left environment had changed drastically. AOC, Ilhan Omar, Bernie, Corbyn have been making huge strides by actually saying what they want loudly and strongly.

My personal theory is that Jagmeet’s first fight was to just be accepted as the first person of colour leader in a racist country. Now perhaps that that has happened and the left environment mentioned above, he can start saying things like “tax the rich” without the media putting out headlines like “Potential Sikh Terrorist Sympathizer Singh Wants to Tax the Rich”.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I'm very curious about Jagmeet Singh for 2023.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Quelle surprise. Postmedia is endorsing Andrew Scheer. :allears:

https://montrealgazette.com/opinion/editorials/our-endorsement-best-choice-for-canada-is-andrew-scheer

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

ARACHTION posted:

Canada helped legitimize the right-wing led attempted coup of Venezuela and his response was so middle of the fence, afraid to offend that you actually couldn’t tell what he was saying.

I can't take the opinion seriously of anyone who looks at the most brutal humanitarian crisis in latin america in a generation and still spouts off that bullshit. Millions are starving to death? Nah fam, right wing coup attempt. :fuckoff:

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Rime posted:

I can't take the opinion seriously of anyone who looks at the most brutal humanitarian crisis in latin america in a generation and still spouts off that bullshit. Millions are starving to death? Nah fam, right wing coup attempt. :fuckoff:

well actually is it really a concentration camp if they're getting free vocational training? I think the rush to judgment about genocide is really detrimental to any meaningful discussion about the Uighur problem

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

but arbeit macht frei

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Rime posted:

yeah leftists need to seriously take the L on Maduro and Chavez and move on. considering how the western left came out in support of Maduro Jagmeet was probably right to let it slide by without commitment.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
We deserve our terrible liberal governments

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ARACHTION posted:

I was sceptical of Jagmeet when his answers to important events were frequently no-meaning pablum. Canada helped legitimize the right-wing led attempted coup of Venezuela and his response was so middle of the fence, afraid to offend that you actually couldn’t tell what he was saying.

Let’s also not forget that the NDP housing plan once released was basically help to take on more debt.

Since he was chosen as leader, the global left environment had changed drastically. AOC, Ilhan Omar, Bernie, Corbyn have been making huge strides by actually saying what they want loudly and strongly.

My personal theory is that Jagmeet’s first fight was to just be accepted as the first person of colour leader in a racist country. Now perhaps that that has happened and the left environment mentioned above, he can start saying things like “tax the rich” without the media putting out headlines like “Potential Sikh Terrorist Sympathizer Singh Wants to Tax the Rich”.

Just wait 'till you see the headlines when a coalition government even glances towards electoral reform.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Just wait 'till you see the headlines when a coalition government even glances towards electoral reform.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Rime posted:

You can dislike a government and not think that an American sponsored attempt to overthrow it is wrong. Also any analysis of Venezuela that ignores American sanctions having a direct link to the crisis is incomplete.

Definitely not a Madura fan here and not expecting Singh to be either, but economic sanctions are not often considered to be the violent act that they are. Anyone who cares about human rights should not cheer on American attempts to cut off a government’s basic ability to acquire things like medicines for its people.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Helsing posted:

Nevertheless, they were forced into offering some decent policies and people have responded with increased support and enthusiasm. That is worth supporting. Try to get involved, inquire about riding association meetings, insist on showing up to party events, try to network with other people there, look for local groups working adjacent to the NDP. I've been close to giving up on the party for a while now but at this moment I think the only real option is to support them for the moment and see exactly how things play out over the next year or two.

This part is bang on. I'm going to be looking into getting involved with my riding association and I encourage you all to do the same. The NDP won't become the party we want it to be without people like us getting involved and dragging it kicking and screaming to the left.

If you get a chance, the book "The Candidate" documents Corbyn's rise and the resistance from internal Labour Party forces. There's a lot of similarities to the NDP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

ARACHTION posted:

You can dislike a government and not think that an American sponsored attempt to overthrow it is wrong. Also any analysis of Venezuela that ignores American sanctions having a direct link to the crisis is incomplete.

Definitely not a Madura fan here and not expecting Singh to be either, but economic sanctions are not often considered to be the violent act that they are. Anyone who cares about human rights should not cheer on American attempts to cut off a government’s basic ability to acquire things like medicines for its people.

Yeah, exactly this.