Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Rougetechs problem is that it has never had a bad idea and criticism is bullying so you get banned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Archonex posted:

Case in point, it's possible to enable thermonuclear weaponry on the part of nations and as extremely rare drops. These obviously deep fry mechs if they aren't shot down or sent off course with ECM (another feature it has). It also has expanded artillery as another mod option.

Nowhere in the installer that enables these things does it mention that the AI knows how to combine them into a terrifying anti-mech force of mass destruction. If both artillery and nukes are enabled this turns the radar tier of the game (Again, another feature. Stealth works increasingly differently the more tech options you can obtain. I think there's like 3 or so ways of being stealthy, including straight experimental cloaking tech, ECM and counter-radar tech, and just knowing the terrain.) into a stealth driven paranoia fest where if you get detected outside of visual range and there's a nuke in play that mech is just going to get obliterated if you haven't taken precautions.

Last I checked in on the mod they were adding counters to this. For instance, it looked like they were working on adding aircraft like the ones in Mechwarrior Mercenaries. So you could either send a strike bomber in to take out the nuke ahead of the Mechwarriors or just rely on light mechs oriented towards stealthing up to it and melting the thing/spotting for a heavier sniper to do the job.

This sounds good, actually. Is the lack of documentation the main problem or is it all poorly implemented too?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Lazyhound posted:

This sounds good, actually. Is the lack of documentation the main problem or is it all poorly implemented too?

It's a mix of a lack of documentation and the expanded feature set being so incredibly different from the base game that it seems to throw people off.

Gonna be some :words: but here's a good example of what I mean:

Back before the Urban War expansion came out ECM, radar, and all of that didn't really exist as a mechanical concept in the base game. The folks that make Roguetech completely one upped the game's devs by designing their own ECM, radar, and attendant stealth and detection systems pretty much from scratch.

This meant that you could have a mech with complex detection items on board that could detect an enemy from half way across the map if they didn't field a counter to mask your signature. It was all measured in a party-wide assessment. IE: After the first turn of the mission the ECM and ECCM features on each mech would toggle online and the teams would compare their stats in various fields to figure out who could do what when it comes to detection and staying hidden. If one team got a huge penalty over the other as well they'd also get a large aim buff to go with it.

Couple this with other new features, like the advanced cockpit mods and other new gear slots that let you vastly customize your mechs in new ways and you'd have some rather incredibly one sided fights come up where your team just gets butchered if you didn't know this stuff existed. Which is another thing that's a big deal in the mod.

To go into it a bit more, instead of getting pre-assembled mechs that let you only mess with the weapons and heat sinks like in vanilla Roguetech lets you strip out the internals and just go nuts within the limits of the chassis's ability to handle it. Everything from the engine, to the cockpit and associated sci-fi add ons that the tabletop game are in. Even stuff like being able to deploy drones for spotting and boosting your aim outside of the ECM meta game is possible. Heck, once you are into the early to mid game it's even possible (if not extremely expensive) to refit a mech's hull with a whole new type of material that could give it unique effects or buffs depending on what the material was.

Basically what this all means is that the mod makes it so that heavier mechs aren't necessarily the better choice by giving you greater control of how your mech and team works. It does this not by adding new mission types in (Though it adds new mission types too.) like how the DLC keeps trying to do but instead through allowing greater creativity in how you want your team to run. However, the AI gets this same ability so that you don't just curb stomp them by default. So heavier size doesn't necessarily equal good. Especially if you can't field the internals to make them run up to par with whatever you're facing. *

Of course, this leads to a lot of frustration if you don't know that this stuff exists. And if you don't check the wiki you won't be able to piece together that you should be running something other than "better weapons, heavier mech" as a strategy. Hilariously, this leads to a lot of new players coming into Roguetech not understanding how they were getting sighted down from across the map and promptly splatted by someone that in the base game would have had their poo poo completely hosed up.

Couple this with stuff like LRM's being so good in the base game for awhile and you get some situations that really can piss off vanilla players. We're talking, people just sprinting a team of heavy mechs into a kill zone the AI set up ahead of time and promptly wondering why some janky looking pirate's Urbanmech that looks like it was assembled with duct tape just juked the better portion of five dozen missiles before ripping the head off of a heavy mech with an extended burst from a rotary auto cannon.

Meanwhile, since the players in question never bothered to read the documentation it never occurred to them to use gear that reduced the likelihood of them getting hit. Or that the Urbanmech was being assisted by another mech spotting and buffing it's dodge and aim stats just out of sight. Or that the player has little to no internal parts that aren't baseline. Or that there are customized missile types and launchers that are much harder to dodge. So while the enemy mechs might be a hell of a lot smaller they're also incredibly dangerous in the right situation due to having professional/high end internals and custom built setups designed for certain types of combat. All of which they'd notice if they had just bothered to check the gear on the enemy mechs and at least prioritize their targets instead of ramboing through the battlefield.

Every time I pop in to check out the mod i've noticed some pretty incredible rage posts from folks in similar (though not often as hilariously one sided) situations like that. The response tends to be "Git gud" by those that realized what was going on. Which...Uh, yeah. Did not help calm many of those people down, in retrospect.

* As a side note, this is a thing too. Some areas of the expanded galaxy map are incredibly low tech. We're talking, feudal worlds fielding agricultural mechs they salvaged. Barring one area of the map that seems to have a lot of players protecting low tech nations they usually they get wiped out as a faction. But every now and then a group of players gets together and decides to try and conquer the galaxy in their name with a bunch of skyscraper sized threshers and factory sized tractors.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 20, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Stravag posted:

Mortar, snub ppc, inferno rounds, ultras and lbx. Dont stop im almost there

Edit: bullshark is 95t with a thumper cannon:spurt: unnngh yeah there it is

Need some Long Tom and Arrow IV

E: What is COIL?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 20, 2019

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

CommieGIR posted:

Need some Long Tom and Arrow IV

E: What is COIL?

It's a new weapon that does more damage based upon the firing unit's movement. A way to boost faster mechs most likely.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Archonex posted:

Roguetech

Archonex posted:

Yet more roguetech.

This sounds good. Like Open XCOM Xpiratez good.

An Extended General Question:
I stopped playing battletech because of number fixing by the game. Basically if you get a new game with a fresh install and don't lose any pilots at some point the game will rig the number so a fresh mech will get its head blown off. I the last 3 enemies in a map all beeline to on mech and try to kill it. In the end a tank with a mlas and 2x mguns head capped it when all of them (all of the mgun shots as well) hit the head and blasted it off. It was the same pilot everytime i reloaded (either mid mission or to pre drop).

Does the Roguetech mod do anything like this?

I really don't want to give them anymore money after that and finding out they were secretly changing shot probabilities based on player misses and other bullshit. I just don't trust HBSs to not be scheming assholes. If the mod doesn't do this I guess I'll start playing again.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I...am positive that is utter nonsense.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
It is complete nonsense.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

LeSquide posted:

Conspiratiorist posted:

It is complete nonsense.

https://roguetech.gamepedia.com/Low_Visibility#ECM

quote:

This is a mod for the HBS BattleTech game that introduces a new layer of depth into the detection mechanics of the game. These changes are influenced by the double-blind rules from MaxTech, but have been heavily adapted to the video game mechanics.

This mod has been designed to work with RogueTech. In theory is should work without that mod, but your mileage may vary.

This mod is comprehensive, but a short summary of changes in the mod include:

Sensor blips can now be targeted and attacked, allowing long range builds to be more viable.
ECM bubbles provide protection for allies and reduce enemy sensors.
Enemy details are hidden and are only revealed to strong sensors and/or pilots with high Tactics.
The environment can reduce visibility due to snow, rain, night, etc. This makes sensors critical to success on those maps.
Stealth can hide enemy mechs (and your own!) allowing you to close range safely.
Memetic armor reduces your ability to be targeted, but decreases if you move

It's not nonsense. It's literally right there on the wiki. Why the heck are you making declarative statements about stuff like that when literally anyone can type "Roguetech ECM" and get the information in a few seconds?

It appears they've updated the system since I last played so that it works differently (Previously it was a turn 2 and onwards check that had the combined ECM and ECCM stats of each side and then assigned various bonuses from that.) but it's definitely there and has in fact been there for a long time.

Ditto for the rest of the stuff. Unless something changed there's still the option to alter the internals of the mech. Along with the vastly expanded number of options on the mech and weaponry front.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 20, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Archonex posted:

https://roguetech.gamepedia.com/Low_Visibility#ECM

It's not nonsense. It's literally right there on the wiki. Why the heck are you making declarative statements about stuff like that when literally anyone can type "Roguetech ECM" and get the information in a few seconds?

It appears they've updated the system since I last played so that it works differently (Previously it was a turn 2 and onwards check that had the combined ECM and ECCM stats of each side determining things.) but it's definitely there and has in fact been there for a long time.

Ditto for the rest of the stuff. Unless something changed there's still the option to alter the internals of the mech. Along with the vastly expanded number of options on the mech and weaponry front.

They mean its nonsense that the base game rigs squad deaths on your dudes if you play well

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
They weren't saying that anything you said was nonsense. They were calling the other guys assertion about the game rigging guaranteed headshots nonsense. Which absolutely is nonsense.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 20, 2019

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

They’re talking about the other guys assertion that they fix hi chance. And . . .

LeSquide posted:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Was the pilot Dekker

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Zore posted:

They mean its nonsense that the base game rigs squad deaths on your dudes if you play well

I'm a bit distracted at the moment. Helping a family member. So that's why I missed that post of his. Thought it was a direct reply to mine. Apologies. :stonk:

But yeah. That is nonsense. I've never seen that happen.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I literally beat the entire Arano Restoration campaign without losing a single pilot, there's literally no way that supposed system exists.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Q_res posted:

I literally beat the entire Arano Restoration campaign without losing a single pilot, there's literally no way that supposed system exists.

same

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Excuse me there are harvester mechs what the gently caress?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Q_res posted:

I don't believe this for a second. Dekker is still breathing, that's impossible.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Many different kinda of agriculture/economic mechs. Only a few remotely make sense. https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Harvester_Ant#/media/File%3AHarvester_Ant.jpg

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

And Tyler Too! posted:

I don't believe this for a second. Dekker is still breathing, that's impossible.

I did lose 2 pilots after beating the campaign. Glitch and then Dekker, but they did survive the Restoration.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I can buy the AI threat weighting being wonky and causing it to overprioritize a mech in a given mission, but lol at the thought of a deliberate hidden rubber-banding mechanic.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Stravag posted:

Many different kinda of agriculture/economic mechs. Only a few remotely make sense. https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Harvester_Ant#/media/File%3AHarvester_Ant.jpg

Speaking from experience you will take argi-mech fielding players super heavy, town sized farming mechs only from their mechwarrior's cold dead hands.

In game the thing has an actual thresher for a weapon. You might laugh when you see it trundling towards you at a top speed of like 2 miles per hour per turn! But then you realize that it being probably the slowest thing in the game doesn't necessarily mean that it's attacks are weak. The thing dwarfs even the heaviest assault mechs and can straight up swallow them whole into a thresher abyss. If it hits an assault mech even once there is a high chance the arms and legs will just go popping off like some sort of goofy poorly made 90's era toy.

Now why someone felt the need to design a super heavy mech --- something that is typically reserved for Mech based super weapons in this setting --- around loving farming of all things is a good question. But this is the same setting that has giant robot olympics as a thing so it's probably best to not think about it too hard.

Given how goofy it is, and how easy it is to underestimate some of those mechs there might be a reason why some people like agrimechs. :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 20, 2019

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Guys the Bull Shark looks scary at the 3025 tech level :stonk:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Imagine how it would be with endo steel xl or dhs to let you get more out of it

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

Excuse me there are harvester mechs what the gently caress?

Yup. And gladiator mechs. And straight up Olympic ice skating mechs. And Olympic baseball playing mechs. And giant robot dance contests too. And honestly it's just kinda ridiculous even before you realize the medal that the winners get is to scale with the mechs. So theoretically within the setting you could have a bunch of Mechwarriors striding into battle with literal olympic bling draped across their chest.

From TVtrope's description of the Olympic games posted:

...The Battlemech games on Noisiel. Imagine the Olympics. Performed by 'Mechs. Now imagine Baseball, rugby, and basketball games. Again, performed by 'Mechs. Now imagine dance constests and an Atlas dressed up like Santa Claus(said Atlas, by the way, won bronze in the costume contest. The medal was indeed to scale, and awarded by another Atlas.)...

Archonex fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 20, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Ancestral Basketball Mech

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

And Tyler Too! posted:

https://youtu.be/U_xVW2EsdD4

Archonex
May 2, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

The Ancestral Basketball Mech

Dunker of a thousand hoops. Shatterer of a thousand lostech hydraulics. Truly, an Atlas machine to be feared.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

So, anybody care to speculate on the unnamed 95-tonner?

Looking at Sarna, the vast majority of 95-tonners are post-Clan invasion, so those are all out of consideration.

Seems like the only real options are the not-quite-canon Corsair, or another brand-new design like the Bull Shark.

E: Welp, I got mixed up and thought there was still a 10th mech missing after the Bull Shark was revealed. :eng99:

anakha fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 20, 2019

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I thought the Shark was the 95-tonner

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Cyrano4747 posted:

They’re talking about the other guys assertion that they fix hi chance.

Indeed.

Mostly unrelated:

I'm definitely not a Roguetech player, but I liked 3025 extended a lot, so I'm very excited to see the expansion.

Looking forward to the new mech and weapons, too. Honestly, I trust the Harebrained crew much further than CGL or PGI at this point, and wish they gutted and reshaped the 3025 era more than they did, but this is still great.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

If Harebrained is gonna add their Original Mech Do Not Steal they should go the extra mile and give us the Roughneck.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Im fine without an underweight orion tbh

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Archonex posted:

Yup. And gladiator mechs. And straight up Olympic ice skating mechs. And Olympic baseball playing mechs. And giant robot dance contests too. And honestly it's just kinda ridiculous even before you realize the medal that the winners get is to scale with the mechs. So theoretically within the setting you could have a bunch of Mechwarriors striding into battle with literal olympic bling draped across their chest.

Oh no :stonklol:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

There any good streams/lets plays of Roguetech that are done by competent personalities? Would like to see some of the madness handled by someone who can come to grips with it.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

There was Beaglerush, if you've got a few dozen hours to go through them. You also get to see the RT devs try to backseat drive his game and him purposefully go against them to troll them. He gave up when he realised his version didn't have an improved AI mod yet, and he was finding it too easy with his melee monster BSC Crab

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Paingod556 posted:

There was Beaglerush, if you've got a few dozen hours to go through them. You also get to see the RT devs try to backseat drive his game and him purposefully go against them to troll them. He gave up when he realised his version didn't have an improved AI mod yet, and he was finding it too easy with his melee monster BSC Crab

Truly the appropriate response to RT.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Here's a report from someone who watched the VOD on what the mechs special equipment are:

he Assassin has an "Intercept System" to help it hunt down Light 'Mechs.
The Archer has a "Misslery Suite" which tightens up clusters of missiles from the sound of it.
The Warhammer has "Optimized Capacitors" which helps its energy weapons somehow. (Not sure if I heard heat dissipation or damage.) (another poster says it's +20% damage)
The Rifleman has "Rangefinder Suite", letting it be more accurate at long range and see farther.
The Marauder has a "Lance Command Mod" which I don't know much about yet. (another poster says -10% damage) (edit: It also boosts called shots by the pilot of the Marauder)
The Annihilator has the "Siege Compensator", apparently making it harder to knock down.
And the Phoenix Hawk has something which lets it be more accurate than usual after a jump.

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 20, 2019

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Im glad theyrenputting in role bonuses for the different chassis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
What are good builds for FS9-H and JR7-D?

From what I've read people are saying 2SL + 4MG for the FS9-H. What is the playstyle with that? Just use your mobility to keep high evasion + close shots in the back? I tried doing 2+ MLs but I was roasting my pilot alive, so I guess I need to focus more on support weapons?

For the JR7-D, I am having a similar problem. It runs so hot that it has to sit for 2+ rounds after firing everything. Should I be building it with 3-4 mls? If so, what is the playstyle so I don't roast my pilots?