Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:homebrew: works pretty well

e: beaten. But yeah rudder pedals were at first kind of a "can't believe I'm this spergy" thing but now it's a big duh. Especially if you're flying things with piston engines. I have had a couple of different models and I think the TFRP pedals hit the best balance of cost and quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah I knew about that one, but it doesn't have the necessary sense of grim fatalism about it.

Also yeah I've held out for ages, but since I do more old prop plane stuff and also do civilian glider simming a bit as practice for real gliding, using actual rudder pedals doesn't seem so excessive now.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
bf109E7Z is the bomber version

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Carth Dookie posted:

Finally caved and bought some rudder pedals.

Need a :suicide: smiley but instead of blood splatter, money flies out.

Nice, what model? I love my MFG Crosswinds

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Just some Thrustmaster T flight pedals.

I'm happy enough with the T16000M hotas to give their pedals a go, and I'm not yet prepared to spend double that on crosswinds, even if they're obviously better made.

Only gripe I have with the 16000M is the throttle sticks and needs lube occasionally. Way better quality than my old X52 though. Probably the best pick of the "cheap" hotas IMO.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 16, 2019

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
re: 90s sim chat

Man I miss Longbow. Muddled through them as a kid but grokked it surprisingly well.

IL-2 DLC is on sale. Any must gets? I'm tempted by Kuban if only for the A-20.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Kuban has a nice map and the a20 is cool. Also has some weird (interesting) stuff like the air cobra and the special edition duck. Imo $20 is really good for the lot, and trivial to the $12.50 standard. I'd get the premium for that.

Could be wrong, but $60 for all content except the ju52 might be the lowest I've ever seen. Wild price since if you bought it back in the day, it would've been about $240 total.

Also:

Cliffs of Dover: blitz is going for $6.24 right now. Neat.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 16, 2019

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

My rudder pedals came today and I tested them out and got my first air kill in Il2 with them. :toot:

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
I have the VKB pedals--I love them! I got them for helicopters, where you absolutely need decent pedals, so the lack of toe brakes is not a big deal for me. I have the Mk. III, sounds like the new Mk. IV is even better.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I took the spring out of my TM pedals and it made a huge difference for helicopters. When I got the F16, I put a weak elastic band, which will just about center it.
I should probably also clean and lube the rails.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

my kinda ape posted:

Nice, what model? I love my MFG Crosswinds

Crosswinds are so goddamn nice. Night and day difference from my old CH pedals, especially in the goddamn Huey.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Autumn sale is on now. 50% off most modules. Just snagged the Harrier for $35. Not bad. :cool:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Today I learned that high altitude intercept missions in an e-7 are surprisingly difficult.

Also I'm really starting to like the P-40. Definitely going to be my next campaign.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Wags did an interview with Mudspike that had some good info:

https://www.mudspike.com/mudspike-ama-with-eagle-dynamics-senior-producer-matt-wagner/

Lots of news about the dynamic campaign in particular. The worst news (for me) is that the F-4 isn't up next after the F-16 anymore; some other "eagerly awaited" aircraft is.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

In that same thing he says P47, hind and mosquito as the next aircraft from ED after the F16. I wonder what this other eagerly awaited thing would be.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Me having sex with Ninelines wife!!!

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Wags can take a long roll off a short pier!!!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lmao @ "we expect to have the dynamic campaign system in beta in 2021"

get hosed guys. microsoft please buy eagle dynamics and port all the planes to the new flight sim world engine, tia

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

PenisMonkey posted:

Wags can take a long roll off a short pier!!!

Why? Did he run over your dog?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

In the meantime we can play all those other high fidelity jet combat sims. :negative:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Bf109 e-7 career has ended it seems. My pilot set down due to damage behind enemy lines and was captured. Enjoying Russian hospitality during WW2? RIP.

So I started my P-40 campaign and got a kill in the first flight. Plane agrees with me in a way the 109 didn't, which is curious. Hopefully this one lasts longer, since I didn't even make it to snow season in battle of Moscow as a 109.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
US fiddies are basically the best aerial weapon of WWII

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Carth Dookie posted:

Bf109 e-7 career has ended it seems. My pilot set down due to damage behind enemy lines and was captured. Enjoying Russian hospitality during WW2? RIP.

So I started my P-40 campaign and got a kill in the first flight. Plane agrees with me in a way the 109 didn't, which is curious. Hopefully this one lasts longer, since I didn't even make it to snow season in battle of Moscow as a 109.

I'm enjoying your campaign updates and I encourage you to post more. However, you know there is a dedicated Il2 BoX thread, right? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3670413. It's slow, but if you post, it'll pick up.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Recoome posted:

No, not really. I'd argue that the Hispano Suize and MG 151 were both far superior weapons. The MG-FF on the 109E variants was not very good, though.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Recoome posted:

And the P-47 has eight of them :swoon:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Gewehr 43 posted:

I'm enjoying your campaign updates and I encourage you to post more. However, you know there is a dedicated Il2 BoX thread, right? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3670413. It's slow, but if you post, it'll pick up.

"Specified thread was not found in the live forums"

Can't even open it.

Edit:

Curiously, I already have a Il2 thread bookmarked that does work. Weird.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 20, 2019

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

ImplicitAssembler posted:

No, not really. I'd argue that the Hispano Suize and MG 151 were both far superior weapons. The MG-FF on the 109E variants was not very good, though.

Smh

Ya got me s'in my h over here.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

hispano yes, mg 151 ehh

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I mean sure there are cannons which pack a bigger punch, but the fiddies usually come with shitloads of ammo which means a good amount of trigger time, which is why you can't go wrong with the fiddies.

The P-47 is a great example of this,

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The MG151/15 was a fine weapon, if a bit of a heavy bitch, but soon after entering service, the Luftwaffe had a pressing need to shoot down large, durable 4-engine heavy bombers. They retrofitted it to the 151/20 configuration, which was a compromise to allow more bursting power in the (now larger) projectile. Muzzle velocity fell, and accuracy deteriorated slightly.

To cal it “far superior” to the AN/M2 is... Questionable.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

The MG151/15 was a fine weapon, if a bit of a heavy bitch, but soon after entering service, the Luftwaffe had a pressing need to shoot down large, durable 4-engine heavy bombers. They retrofitted it to the 151/20 configuration, which was a compromise to allow more bursting power in the (now larger) projectile. Muzzle velocity fell, and accuracy deteriorated slightly.

To cal it “far superior” to the AN/M2 is... Questionable.

The high velocity 20mm guns were absolutely superior to the M2. The only reasons the USAAF/USN didn't switch over wholesale was because they didn't have to shoot down much of anything that wasn't a fighter and they had such a roaringly successful logistics chain with the 50s. There's a really good reason why the USN covered its ships with 20mm guns and not .50s, and why modern planes still use that caliber.

What are yalls thoughts on "Growling Sidewinders" videos? They seem very popular but they also seem very...repetitive?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Personally, I hate machineguns. I hated machineguns since I was a kid. I have enough sim time that I can aim okay, and I want to be able to blow poo poo up quick, rather than take 1-2 second bursts. I'll take a 37mm cannon with 40 rounds over a bunch of lovely machineguns any day :v:

Now what really makes a big difference for me is nose mounted guns. They're so much easier to use at any range against any target, since you don't have to worry about convergence.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Mk108 nose cannon rules.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

mashed_penguin posted:

I wonder what this other eagerly awaited thing would be.

DCS: Macchi M.B.308

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Awww, it's like a gawky Cessna 150

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

bewbies posted:

The high velocity 20mm guns were absolutely superior to the M2. The only reasons the USAAF/USN didn't switch over wholesale was because they didn't have to shoot down much of anything that wasn't a fighter and they had such a roaringly successful logistics chain with the 50s. There's a really good reason why the USN covered its ships with 20mm guns and not .50s, and why modern planes still use that caliber.

It's not that USAF/USN weren't looking at it. They fitted the F4U-F4 with 4x20mm cannons and the P-61 also had 4 20mm cannons.

The British certainly preferred the Hispano (although as their alternative was the .303, it wasn't a hard choice).

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The US didn't really get into 20mm cannons until the Vulcan because they couldn't for whatever reason make one that worked in any way consistently, like from the early 40s right up to the late 50s every single design jammed like crazy

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Forums Terrorist posted:

The US didn't really get into 20mm cannons until the Vulcan because they couldn't for whatever reason make one that worked in any way consistently, like from the early 40s right up to the late 50s every single design jammed like crazy

That's not really true. A whole bunch of planes had non-vulcan 20mms.

The Crusader, the Skyhawk, the Super Sabre, F-11 Tiger, F3H Demon...the list goes on.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I'd say I'm above average at aerial gunnery and I'd take a pair of 303s with a mountain of ammo over a 20mm with less than 120 rounds any day. More bullets = better IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
An update was released today to unfuck A/G munitions in the Hornet. Seems that while building the Walleye, they forgot to test dropping bombs from anything other than an airstart, so if you ground started the jet, your bombs would hang on the rails ad infinitum. :stare: