Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Ahahahah that was some nice karma. gently caress you Honda, eat all of the poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

CactusWeasle posted:

Ahahahah that was some nice karma. gently caress you Honda, eat all of the poo poo

:chloe:

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Oh my god John Doonan is the new president of IMSA

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
gently caress yeah, I was worried about who it would be, but I think that's a really good pick.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hows that going to work with the whole being head of Mazda Racing North America? Who're they gonna find to keep that program afloat? Iirc Mazda Racing NA only exists because he keeps Japan from shutting it down, as it's not a money making endeavor, and the Japanese side of Mazda has less than zero interest in IMSA.

I highly doubt that Mazda would kill off stuff like spec Miata etc but their prototype program would be a juicy line item to trim to balance the sheets.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 15, 2019

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I mean, that might be why he left? I guess we will have to wait and see.

IMSA is moving towards the "bust" of the sportscar boom/bust cycle with a bunch of teams/cars leaving next year. Such is sportscar racing!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
https://twitter.com/RACERmag/status/1184138147384442886

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
If he managed to keep Mazda's terrible prototype program shambling along for nearly the last decade I'm sure he can keep IMSA humming along just fine.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

kill me now posted:

If he managed to keep Mazda's terrible prototype program shambling along for nearly the last decade I'm sure he can keep IMSA humming along just fine.

Oh I have no doubt of that, it's just with him leaving Mazda I wouldn't put any bets whatsoever on Mazda continuing in racing that gets any airtime after this.

They might do another season but yeah I don't think they're going to last beyond next season without John. Dude was holding it together with sheer willpower.

Mazda's struggling enough in the US market anyways, their sales are down something like 23% over the last year because Mazda can't figure out what they want their cars to be.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 15, 2019

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It's going to be strange seeing Corvette's being driven around without Jan Magnusson's name on the driver lineup. :smith:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

net work error posted:

It's going to be strange seeing Corvette's being driven around without Jan Magnusson's name on the driver lineup. :smith:

wait, is he retiring? :saddowns:

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Basticle posted:

wait, is he retiring? :saddowns:

Corvette Racing more or less cut him loose in favor of Jordan Taylor next year

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I hope he dosent end up in like DTM or something

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Basticle posted:

I hope he dosent end up in like DTM or something

WTCR or whatever it's called seems like quite the racing retirement home

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
It makes sense to replace him with an American now that the Corvette is a generic European supercar

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

CactusWeasle posted:

It makes sense to replace him with an American now that the Corvette is a generic European supercar

It makes no sense to replace him because he was just 20 years away from aging into the Corvette's main demographic

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

NGL I'd buy a 60,000 USD Ferrari impersonator if I knew it wasn't going to implode in a pile of cheap plastic parts because GM build quality yo.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

orange juche posted:

NGL I'd buy a 60,000 USD Ferrari impersonator if I knew it wasn't going to implode in a pile of cheap plastic parts because GM build quality yo.

Someday this meme will die.

They're not supercar or luxury car quality interiors or fit/finish, but they're not scrap heaps. Even the C5 for all the poo poo it got holds up. Interior is rear end, but the car itself is still great.

Still wouldn't buy the first model year though. First year Corvette's always have at least one weird problem that ends up fixed the following year.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I'd say the last true piece of poo poo GM released was the J-body.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

Someday this meme will die.

They're not supercar or luxury car quality interiors or fit/finish, but they're not scrap heaps. Even the C5 for all the poo poo it got holds up. Interior is rear end, but the car itself is still great.

Still wouldn't buy the first model year though. First year Corvette's always have at least one weird problem that ends up fixed the following year.

The meme will die when GM stops putting out stuff where the trim pieces pop off because they didn't design them correctly, it doesn't have to be wrapped in expensive leather or anything (I'd prefer cloth seats to leather just to avoid barbecuing my rear end getting into a car on a sunny day) but having pieces of the dash and interior of the car that are just bulbous garbageplastic sucks and is poor design.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

iwentdoodie posted:

They're not supercar fit/finish

Agreed. Corvettes are built better.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

orange juche posted:

The meme will die when GM stops putting out stuff where the trim pieces pop off because they didn't design them correctly, it doesn't have to be wrapped in expensive leather or anything (I'd prefer cloth seats to leather just to avoid barbecuing my rear end getting into a car on a sunny day) but having pieces of the dash and interior of the car that are just bulbous garbageplastic sucks and is poor design.

GM cheap plastic feels and looks way worse than any other manufactures cheap plastic. There's just something about it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dentist toy box posted:

GM cheap plastic feels and looks way worse than any other manufactures cheap plastic. There's just something about it.

It's made with extra sadness

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Agreed. Corvettes are built better.

Truth.

dentist toy box posted:

Dodge is worse. The Viper (every gen) felt like a Little Tykes push cart. Also the only cars I've been in where the leather feels like loving rubber.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the moral of the story is that american cars are gutter trash

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The inside of my Miata is hard plastic but it's hard plastic for a reason because the car gives no illusions about the fact that its singular purpose is to achieve extreme lightness.

It also is impossible to drive long distances in the thing because you will die of being in an uncomfortable car.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
All modern cars are gutter trash. The performance and economy are mind blowing, dont get me wrong, but christ I hate all the screens in them.

If everyone would just pull a Saab and give a night mode that shut off everything but essential lighting, I would he so happy. Even the loving gauges now are like staring in the sun.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone else watching rally catalunya?

Power stage should be fun tomorrow.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Holy poo poo that McLaughlin crash during qualifying at the Gold Coast round

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77w0rzwHJDw

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea, I saw that on YT earlier. Pretty violent wreck. Also nice to see a competitor stop and get out to help...

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

gently caress yeah Tanak :hellyeah:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Tanak owns but holy lmao at his shock move to Hyundai.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea, I saw that on YT earlier. Pretty violent wreck. Also nice to see a competitor stop and get out to help...

I mean, its nice... but stay in the car on a hot track jfc.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Tanak locked in his championship with a power stage win. :toot:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks like IMSA P2 might have enough cars next year to, like, be an actual class:

https://racer.com/2019/10/28/dragonspeed-to-run-two-imsa-lmp2-entries/

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Why the gently caress is someone planning to run a Riley?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

What'll be funnier is if the Riley is more reliable than the mazdas

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Dudley posted:

Why the gently caress is someone planning to run a Riley?

Cheap, probably. It'll be poo poo at Daytona, but it could come good in the more downforce-demanding circuits.

Really excited to see an acutal class forming around the P2's. I think they could have gotten away with just restricting engine power (via rev limit), I think the Le Mans gearing mandate is a bit much for those cars, they'd still definitely be slower than the DPis, though I suppose only having to maintain 1 set of gears (and spares for that set) helps with budgetary concerns.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

I would rather run a Riley-Multimatic LMP2 than a Nissan DPi. Especially if it includes getting called a fuckhead by Larry Holt at technical meetings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If that is the old Spirit of Daytona Riley chassis, it got all the Multimatic updates the Mazda got (including the completely redone suspension), I think. So it may be more competitive in P2 then it would seem at first glance. Still a huge uphill battle against the ORECAs that can rely on their mountain of setup data.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 30, 2019