Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Video is private.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
coolmatty the only acceptable thing to do is ban every single bigot, loudly and publicly. anything less is cowardice and appeasement.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

coolmatty the only acceptable thing to do is ban every single bigot, loudly and publicly. anything less is cowardice and appeasement.

:emptyquote:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DoctorWhat posted:

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
that goose is high as hell :goshawk:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Any cool & insane speedruns lately?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
It's a no-brainer too cuz banning bigots is literally the easiest good publicity you can get. Plus you can get style points if you dunk on them on twitter or whatever before throwing them out

It's that or literally face the legal liability of someone doing something bad after you guys were warned repeatedly about them and didn't take action. Because it's a matter of when not if someone gets hurt again. If there's any internal question about which path should be taken, I would refer to Flatluigi's eloquent statement:

flatluigi posted:

look at it this way: is there any way that whatever policy you are going to finalize in the future won't include language that'll kick out the bigots, the gropers, and the serial harassers?

if there's no way, just kick them out now and figure out the concrete language later while pointing towards the code of conduct you currently have in the meantime

if there's some way, do some major loving self examination about why you're fine with that and then do what I just said

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

please, everyone, we need to not rush into this and consider both sides of what's going on. who are we to lay out judgment upon those who merely wish to make attendees so uncomfortable that they don't want to be even remotely near them for fear of getting grabbed? not to mention how we definitely wouldn't want to stifle free expression and thoughts from people that make attendees afraid of getting assaulted whenever said free thinker gets even mildly drunk or is annoyed.

please consider,

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

:hmmyes:

is this some kind of bonus mode in unitlted goose game I was unaware of?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Johnny Joestar posted:

please, everyone, we need to not rush into this and consider both sides of what's going on. who are we to lay out judgment upon those who merely wish to make attendees so uncomfortable that they don't want to be even remotely near them for fear of getting grabbed? not to mention how we definitely wouldn't want to stifle free expression and thoughts from people that make attendees afraid of getting assaulted whenever said free thinker gets even mildly drunk or is annoyed.

please consider,

i have a great idea, how about when something like this comes up we just post a tweet saying we did a full and thorough investigation but found nothing wrong, and then when discord comments get blasted onto the internet 10 minutes later we look like total dipshits and have a meltdown

e: looking that up, that was almost one year ago now lol

site fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 19, 2019

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I KINDA understand not wanting to rush things because of harassment from the usual suspects, but...they're gonna harass you anyway, no matter how perfectly worded your policy might be. Half measures only piss people off, you might as well just go zero tolerance with people that make other people feel unsafe.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Dias posted:

I KINDA understand not wanting to rush things because of harassment from the usual suspects, but...they're gonna harass you anyway, no matter how perfectly worded your policy might be. Half measures only piss people off, you might as well just go zero tolerance with people that make other people feel unsafe.

Yeah and harassers don't have good behavior either. There's no 'hopefully this time they won't do it' because that's not how they work.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

we've been watching this poo poo happen for years at this point. gdq sure as hell cares about finishing as quickly as possible except when it comes to making basic, common sense decisions about the safety of the people who attend it.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
GDQ isn't 40 friends hanging out in Uyama's house anymore, it's a huge event and needs to be vetted as such.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

bare bottom pancakes posted:

GDQ isn't 40 friends hanging out in Uyama's house anymore, it's a huge event and needs to be vetted as such.

Actually, Uyama owns every GDQ venue. Where do you think the donations go???

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Studio posted:

Actually, Uyama owns every GDQ venue. Where do you think the donations go???

They're all just different rooms in his magayacht.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

DoctorWhat posted:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Zereth posted:

:hmmyes:

is this some kind of bonus mode in unitlted goose game I was unaware of?

It's just using the streaming software to its fullest capabilities

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Boogalo posted:

They're all just different rooms in his magayacht.
I choose to believe that was a political slam and not a typo.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

MagusofStars posted:

:agreed:

I think the bot should be set to auto-delete messages and 10-minute ban anyone who asks about pronouns in the chat (or mods should be requested to enforce it like this if the bot can’t handle that) because holy poo poo, that was at least 50% of the messages in chat. I love Doom II and had to full-screen the video solely for the purpose of hiding chat - chat was legitimately so awful that it actively made the marathon less enjoyable to have it visible.

Literally every couple minutes like clockwork, someone would come in and go “pronouns?” or “what is that he/him thing” as though it’s not obvious which would cause another troll to burst out of the woodwork spouting lovely transphobic/sexist/etc opinions and start yet another argument.

Maybe there really were that many people who skipped second grade and are totally unfamiliar with the concept of a pronoun...but I doubt it.

I've seen a surprising number of people ask about the pronouns over past week and just go 'oh, ok' once someone explained it to them. Often a troll followed them but that's what moderators are there for. People who aren't around/involved with the trans community very often aren't used to / expectant of personal pronouns and it seems like a decent way to educate on / normalize the practice.

Yeah, every new person who wanders into chat asks what's going on but that's a pervasive problem with how twitch chat is displayed. Eventually it'll die down / be limited to just the trolls, and people asking in bad faith almost never take longer than their second message to out themselves.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

acid goose game owns

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
The Prevent Mike’s Taxes Foundation :thunk:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

MagusofStars posted:

Maybe there really were that many people who skipped second grade and are totally unfamiliar with the concept of a pronoun...but I doubt it.

this actually happens quite a lot if you're not Very Online, to be frank.

I've known a lot of people who have literally never met a transgender person and the concept has otherwise never occurred to them. I would actually not call it particularly common knowledge still. Many really do just kinda need a quick explanation which leads to an uneventful "oh, ok" and that's it.

bear in mind this is in the context of GDQ, which is watched by a shitton of people who are distinctly less Online than the average of people who normally interact with speedrunners, yes I find it perfectly plausible a decent chunk of them are not familiar with the concept.

Dias posted:

I KINDA understand not wanting to rush things because of harassment from the usual suspects, but...they're gonna harass you anyway, no matter how perfectly worded your policy might be.

also I agree with this. You may as well just rip the band-aid off, Matty. Normally, I'd be sort of sympathetic to wanting to ensure decent veracity of allegations because internet people are assholes (as I'm sure you're aware of the glut of people going after a certain runner for reasons that are loving idiotic) but in this case it's plastered all over his feed out in the open plain as the eye can see. There's really not a great deal of investigation to be done here.

doesn't matter how well you word it, people who would be mad about it are not open to be reasoned with so why fuckin bother

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 20, 2019

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

You also have an international audience for whom english might be their second or third language and who are not that deep into the discourse of appropriately gendered pronouns.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

considering i'm pretty sure PCF has a non-zero amount of input on gdq things i wouldn't be surprised if they weren't involved in making this sort of thing way more bureacratic and careful than it needed to be

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
At least explaining she/her is """relatively""" straightforward, because boy I sure don't envy nonbinary folk having to try explaining their use of they/them to people. That's like a whole other level of talking to a brick wall

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

There are several languages that do not even have a he/she dichotomy.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

site posted:

At least explaining she/her is """relatively""" straightforward, because boy I sure don't envy nonbinary folk having to try explaining their use of they/them to people. That's like a whole other level of talking to a brick wall

It's not super difficult to explain me being enby unless the person I'm talking to believes that they has never been used in a singular form even though all English speakers use it that way all the time.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Infected posted:

There are several languages that do not even have a he/she dichotomy.

very progressive

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mr E posted:

It's not super difficult to explain me being enby unless the person I'm talking to believes that they has never been used in a singular form even though all English speakers use it that way all the time.

hmm maybe its one of those things where more likely to vent about something going wrong than saying "thing went normally" cuz i see it complained about fairly often by the enby people in follow on twitter and talk to in my slack. my mistake

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

site posted:

hmm maybe its one of those things where more likely to vent about something going wrong than saying "thing went normally" cuz i see it complained about fairly often by the enby people in follow on twitter and talk to in my slack. my mistake

Oh no there's currently a huge right wing push against things like the dictionary specifically adding the singular they as a definition so I'm sure others are having major issues with people being shits. So no mistake on your part.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Aurora posted:

considering i'm pretty sure PCF has a non-zero amount of input on gdq things i wouldn't be surprised if they weren't involved in making this sort of thing way more bureacratic and careful than it needed to be

They do have input but PCF was generally super hands off, and I actually don't think they would really care about this.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
One of my father's classic childhood stories is when his Hungarian mother unintentionally called a group of his friends (who were all boys) "girls", causing them all to freak out. Hungarian is genderless and she was still learning the semantics of English. I heard her do it a few times as a kid, but I thought it was more funny than anything else.

Referencing back to the fantastic Doom II anniversary stream I talked about earlier, there were also tons of chat members who entered and asked the "what is the he/him?" question and were answered appropriately by the very patient moderators, and responded with something along the lines of "oh, ok. English is weird." No vitriol, no hatred, and continued to participate as they would anywhere else.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mr E posted:

Oh no there's currently a huge right wing push against things like the dictionary specifically adding the singular they as a definition so I'm sure others are having major issues with people being shits. So no mistake on your part.

That's funny since singular they was in regular use in English at least since Shakespeare, so it doesn't need to be "added", it's already there.

By the way, there are languages, I believe Japanese is one of them, where pronouns change based on the gender of who SPEAKS them instead of the gender of who they apply to. For those it must be real difficult to learn English.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mr E posted:

The good news is that perscriptivist linguistics never wins in the end, so eventually English will become a gender-neural language if we all keep using singular they. So I'm gonna keep on doing it.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Carbon dioxide posted:

That's funny since singular they was in regular use in English at least since Shakespeare, so it doesn't need to be "added", it's already there.

By the way, there are languages, I believe Japanese is one of them, where pronouns change based on the gender of who SPEAKS them instead of the gender of who they apply to. For those it must be real difficult to learn English.
Make no mistake, no dictionary is adding 'they' as a singular pronoun in tyol 2019. What actually happened is a dictionary specifically added the usage of the singular pronoun they to refer to non gendered persons, so now the Diet Nazis are suddenly huge big boy experts in grammar here to tell you why this is bad for very important technical reasons. The only difference this time is that they're talking about something as universal as language instead of the latest She-ra reboot or whatev so their bullshit is especially transparent.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Hosts are now on the GDQ schedule.

I didn't get my email out fast enough.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Little Mac posted:

Then make their lives hell

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Send the email anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Little Mac posted:

Tell them you didn't realise you had to send your own email and you submitted an email with someone else's name already.