Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The thought cabinet in general seems pretty busted and poorly balanced. But it never stopped being funny getting a dollar for being a liberal.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I low key hate it and wish it didn't take the same points as your skills for it

Arglebargle III posted:

I can barely play at this point. Unity Engine strikes again!

Is my save game corrupted or is there just no escape from this hell?

try playing it in windowed instead, it's usually a magical fix all particularly when it's a driver issue

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Um... is the dead body on the boardwalk SUPPOSED to have vanished between going to the car and coming back (and also solving the case of the missing locusts? It's gone and there's no comment on it being gone. EDIT: Must be a bug.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 20, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Um... is the dead body on the boardwalk SUPPOSED to have vanished between going to the car and coming back (and also solving the case of the missing locusts? It's gone and there's no comment on it being gone.

Did you wrap up the investigation on the body with Kim? Because he has some handwave line about taking it for autopsy and they probably didn't want to split you from him for a whole day for a sidequest

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Could I ask a spoiler-free question for chargen? I want to be the brainy, logic kind of sleuth- is it worth keeping physical and agility at 1 so I start with 5/5 intellect/empathy, or would I be kneecapping myself and giving up on some cool synergies I'd get with 4/4/2/2?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Could I ask a spoiler-free question for chargen? I want to be the brainy, logic kind of sleuth- is it worth keeping physical and agility at 1 so I start with 5/5 intellect/empathy, or would I be kneecapping myself and giving up on some cool synergies I'd get with 4/4/2/2?

You don't really need 5 in anything, and having at least 2 in Psyche and Physique is a good idea so you won't die if you take 1 damage at the start. 4/4/2/2 would be good for what you're looking for.

I went 4/3/2/3 and passed plenty of really tough skill checks. What you level up and what Thought Cabinet thoughts you use (not to mention what clothes you wear) can have a big effect.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Harrow posted:

You don't really need 5 in anything, and having at least 2 in Psyche and Physique is a good idea so you won't die if you take 1 damage at the start. 4/4/2/2 would be good for what you're looking for.

Awesome, thanks! I figured it'd be smarter not to have a dump stat, but I was worried that it might be one of those games where all of the cool stuff comes from hyper-specializing in one or two stats. ^^

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you want to be a supernatural detective, having high Inland Empire and Shivers is a good combo. High Empathy and Esprit de Corps also pays off a lot. This is only through my first run though, I should go through with a real meathead and see what happens.

I already came across a ton of stuff I just plain completely missed in my first run, like playing matchmaker. :v:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 20, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You could also make Perception your signature skill or find ways to boost it in-game. If you're going to be brainy, you might as well also be the guy who notices a lot of stuff. There are Thought Cabinet ideas that can boost your Perception and your Perception cap so don't worry too much at the start if you don't want to make it your signature.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

If you want to be a supernatural detective, having high Inland Empire and Shivers is a good combo. High Empathy and Esprit de Corps also pays off a lot. This is only through my first run though, I should go through with a real meathead and see what happens.

I already came across a ton of stuff I just plain completely missed in my first run, like playing matchmaker. :v:

On my next playthrough I might go like 1/5/5/1 and just be dumb as a rock, totally blind to my surroundings, but really keyed into the weird. Just stagger and punch my way through everything while tripping my face off.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Your clothes will boost your stats. Downside: You're going to look like a complete rear end in a top hat a lot of the time.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
downside?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Hub Cat posted:

Did you wrap up the investigation on the body with Kim? Because he has some handwave line about taking it for autopsy and they probably didn't want to split you from him for a whole day for a sidequest

I don't think so. I just did a cursory exam, looked at the library card and went to report that we're taking the case. No mention was made of the body being moved, no fade to black on the boardwalk.

I'll reload and see if I can do more with it. ... Nope, I can't do anything more with it at this time. When I called in, I was careful not to say that it was DEFINITELY an accident, because every single time when I pick the "I know what happened" option, the game ends up penalizing me on checks later for jumping to conclusions.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 20, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have two big regrets from my first playthrough:

1. Failing to save Ruby, either by letting her get away or talking her down from shooting herself.

2. The cardinal sin: shaving.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I don't think so. I just did a cursory exam, looked at the library card and went to report that we're taking the case. No mention was made of the body being moved, no fade to black on the boardwalk.

I'll reload and see if I can do more with it.

During the conversation where you reported it, the dispatcher mentioned they would send someone to pick up the body.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just picked this up and looking to go in fairly clean, but was just wondering how it plays (if at all) with a controller? Normally I play isometric rpgs right at the PC with mouse and keyboard but if possible I'd prefer to kick back and just play from the couch. Especially as my understanding is this game doesn't really feature much in the way of traditional combat?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I really love how often the solution is to just give in to your insane impulses.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Harrow posted:

You could also make Perception your signature skill or find ways to boost it in-game. If you're going to be brainy, you might as well also be the guy who notices a lot of stuff. There are Thought Cabinet ideas that can boost your Perception and your Perception cap so don't worry too much at the start if you don't want to make it your signature.

Hmm, I made visual calculus my signature skill just because I like the idea of being a rad CSI guy, but now that you mention it it kinda makes more sense to signature perception (or maybe logic) so I have a generic thing, and just pump a few points into visual calculus later. Do you think it's useful enough to reroll my dude? I only have like five minutes of playtime so it's a good time to second-guess things.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Til Ravachol was the nom de guerre of a 19th century French anarchist.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

I really love how often the solution is to just give in to your insane impulses.

please don't call the voices in my head insane

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
Only the voices in your head.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm, I made visual calculus my signature skill just because I like the idea of being a rad CSI guy, but now that you mention it it kinda makes more sense to signature perception (or maybe logic) so I have a generic thing, and just pump a few points into visual calculus later. Do you think it's useful enough to reroll my dude? I only have like five minutes of playtime so it's a good time to second-guess things.

Nah, you're fine. Making something your signature skill gives you +1 in it and raises the cap you can increase it to, but there are other ways to do that as you play. Visual Calculus is a cool skill.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is there anywhere having high Electrochemistry can actually help? :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

When would your good buddy Electrochemistry ever steer you wrong?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Synthbuttrange posted:

I fully intend to play this a second time as Drugs McSexman, at which point I am confident that high Electorchemistry will always help. Drinking the drinks is a solution to 90% of life's problems.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Al! posted:

downside?

yeah i really enjoy how the game kind of makes a mockery of the normal RPG thing where you get more and more badass-looking as you go. in DE you start out looking like a hobo and think "oh i'll probably find nice clothes along the way and look more respectable" but nope the disco suit is just about as good as it gets and most other items just make you look even more like a hobo

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Well, do you enjoy getting high as gently caress?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I dunno, you get some pretty fancy jackets as you go. There's a weird lack of pants in the game though, for whatever reason. I think there's like maybe 4 or 5 pants total?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Not that many shoes either!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Synthbuttrange posted:

hey man the 4 quests for the 4 kinds of substances you can get give 120 xp total , pretty nice :spergin:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

having someone around with a intuitive and encyclopedic knowledge of bodily chemistry and the psychology of addiction can be useful
also for getting your goddamn freak on hell yeah

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 20, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's fine Kim, I'm just... investigating this rum stain.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

It gave me a small piece of information when examining the hanging because (in summary) "only an alcoholic would have the logo of a liquor company so ingrained in their mind to pick it out among heavily weathered material."

It's also identified a kind of drug from the high someone had, and allowed me to acquire it as a result.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

When would your good buddy Electrochemistry ever steer you wrong?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Ran some cheats and a trainer to give 9 in all stats, infinite skill points and the ability to freeze the clock - definitely a worthwhile thing to do for a second playthrough. Lets you get everything except for the things you want to fail at. But I don't see myself playing through this more than twice (at least not for a couple of years), so I think there's more to gain by allowing nearly-complete-successes than by running through differently.

Also: Electrochemistry is Towelie from South Park, which is great.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The bit about the city being nuked in 22 years is interesting. It's far too much to hope for at this point, and given what a labour of love this game obviously is I don't know if anything could capture the same virtues again, but I'd love a sequel that goes in deep into the weird Dolores Dei stuff [great writing describing her, by the way, she actually sounded scary], the pale, and the coming war between Union-controlled Revachol and the Moralintern. It'd be a very different, wider-scope game, but... I can dream.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Am I being really stupid in not understanding how to use health items? I've had a couple of game overs from losing morale but when I look in my inventory I don't see any of the consumables I've picked up while exploring.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jerusalem posted:

Am I being really stupid in not understanding how to use health items? I've had a couple of game overs from losing morale but when I look in my inventory I don't see any of the consumables I've picked up while exploring.

Yes. You just click the buttons above the health/morale bars.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yes. You just click the buttons above the health/morale bars.

Ahaha I'm a moron. Thanks :)

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Doing a second playthrough with a different build. I highly recommend running away from Garte just to see what happens.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I dunno, you get some pretty fancy jackets as you go. There's a weird lack of pants in the game though, for whatever reason. I think there's like maybe 4 or 5 pants total?

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah, it's really weird. I've been walking around with the FLAN trousers for the majority of the game. And there are only 4 pairs of normal shoes, not including the sabatons. More hats would be nice too.

itry fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Oct 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

just beat it, and goddamn...

DETECTIVE

ARIVING

ON THE SCENE