Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

That’s so sad, Hong Kong has some of the best cuisine and restaurants in the world and you go there and eat none if it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bobstar posted:

Minor correction, David Cameron decide to resign as Prime Minister on 24 June 2016, because he hadn't even considered that Leave might win, and had no idea what to do next.

And while the entire UK would continue to behave like it's in the EU during the transition period (which seems to end in December 2020 even if the actual exit date is months later than planned), the original plan was for Northern Ireland to remain aligned indefinitely, because it's not ok to have a border on the island of Ireland, until such time as a clever arrangement could be reached. This is known as the Backstop, and was unacceptable to the above-mentioned ERG, who wanted to be able to unilaterally withdraw from it (thereby defeating its entire purpose).

The conversation went something like this:

EU: "We have to have a backstop just in case"
UK: "But we don't need one, we'll have magic technology solutions instead of a border"
EU: "Oh great, then you won't mind the backstop, if your technology solutions mean it'll never be used. What were those solutions again?"
UK: "Oh... you don't know them...they go to a different school..."

Well this is largely why I put "transitional arrangement" in inverted commas. The feeling at the time was that these "temporary" arrangements would become "eh, gently caress it, leave it there"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

loving nora, you can't trust someone who has the palate of a 2 year old.
Have you been going through his desk drawers again?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the choice of cardstock is immaterial, he could have written and signed both and it wouldn't matter, it would be slapped down by a court. One supposes the gambit is to force a court action. Low chance it survives, and even if it doesn't, he gets to scream about unelected judges

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah, the only important thing is that the EU has accepted it as a valid request, which it appears they have.

It'd be Johnson and Cumming's wet loving dream for everyone to suddenly get their knickers in a twist about headed notepaper.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

The UK has its insane right wing, sure, but the default in the US is far worse than the UK.
The US also has a far more old-testament, blood & thunder version of christianity that's inexplicably tied to right wing hate, so a lot of right wing figures are legitimised by being 'appointed by God,' like Trump.

Like for all the faults in the CofE, it generally takes a far more quiet and passive role than US superevangelicals do.

I can see why a lot of Americans get super pissy about religion, whereas the lovely stuff the CofE does is usually a lot more under-the-radar. So everyone sees it as this innocent, parochial little pastime that coincidentally vastly worsens the lives of LGBTQ people.

Failed Imagineer posted:

E: ^^^^^ also this, unfollow everything and empty your feed
I unfollowed all the pages and just use it to keep up with real people I used to know from uni etc. If I scroll past the ads and suggestions without looking at them it's nice hearing what people are up to these days.

Although what most of them are up to is pointing out to various dads and racist uncles how badly a no deal brexit will gently caress their disabled / diabetic partner.

Jedit posted:

Just heard something interesting about the Johnson letters. It seems that the photocopied request to extend that was unsigned was not on 10 Downing Street paper, but the second (signed) letter saying he didn't want an extension was. Stupid games aside, this is pretty much hard copy proof that Johnson has not requested an extension in his capacity as Prime Minister and thus has violated the Benn Act.
I think the law is clear enough - the Benn act asked him to send a letter, and he sent the letter. If it's not on the right paper or not signed, it shouldn't matter because they are things that identify it as official correspondence in cases where it needs to be verified. It shouldn't need to be verified.

He's not phoning Virgin Media and trying to get through without the password, he's sending a letter across with a recognised diplomat who's handed it over in person, along with a digital copy.

At least that's how it should work, but stupidest timeline etc.

E: As others in the thread have pointed out, he just wants to avoid having a signed letter on headed stationery in the papers making him look bad to leavers, who are his only support at this point.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 20, 2019

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

forkboy84 posted:

loving nora, you can't trust someone who has the palate of a 2 year old.

I wonder how much of this is true, and how much of it is the image he wants to portray (much like Boris) in order to appear a 'character' and thus attract media/public interest to further his career.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

JRM having children? Yeah, that counts.

Also their names are definitely child abuse.

Anyway, this is all I'm gonna hear now

https://twitter.com/wiki_tmnt/status/1185631863446134786?s=19

Hero with a jam jar

Jezza power

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Necrothatcher posted:

Yeah, the only important thing is that the EU has accepted it as a valid request, which it appears they have.

It'd be Johnson and Cumming's wet loving dream for everyone to suddenly get their knickers in a twist about headed notepaper.

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1185863316838719488

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Hello all, I'm wondering if anyone has some money stats about the amount of money swishing around in the 'normal' economy and the amount that flows in the 'high' economy of shares, bonds, derivatives etc.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

:thunk:

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008

Helith posted:

That’s so sad, Hong Kong has some of the best cuisine and restaurants in the world and you go there and eat none if it.

I was in Hong Kong with a group of foodie friends for my birthday this year and my peptic ulcer was singing the song of its people the entire time. It was devastating to watch platters of dim sum and bottles of wine arrive on the table while I mewled and had almond custard and green tea.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I was in HK last week and everything tasted too peppery

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I do take regular breaks from FB though. And as for twitter, that is far far worse for mental health but much more addictive.

Twitter is absolute brain poison. I had to delete my account as I noticed I was looking at it every few seconds.

My desk at work is in a mobile signal blackspot and I more or less have to be offline for longish periods of the work day. I long for pointless meetings in conference rooms on the east side of the building.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Exioce posted:

Hello all, I'm wondering if anyone has some money stats about the amount of money swishing around in the 'normal' economy and the amount that flows in the 'high' economy of shares, bonds, derivatives etc.
  • Money Supply M0 83023.00 GBP Million
  • Money Supply M1 1791497.00 GBP Million
  • Money Supply M2 2454441.00 GBP Million
  • Money Supply M3 2896725.00 GBP Million
  • Foreign Exchange Reserves 162875.90 USD Million
  • Banks Balance Sheet 3907434.00 GBP Million
  • Central Bank Balance Sheet 587148.00 GBP Million
  • Loans to Private Sector 2488339.00 GBP Million

Total stocks value for the London Stock Exchange is something like 4.6t USD

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 20, 2019

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

• Money Supply M0 83023.00 GBP Million
  • Money Supply M1 1791497.00 GBP Million
  • Money Supply M2 2454441.00 GBP Million
  • Money Supply M3 2896725.00 GBP Million
  • Foreign Exchange Reserves 162875.90 USD Million
  • Candles 300000000.00 USD Million
  • Banks Balance Sheet 3907434.00 GBP Million
  • Central Bank Balance Sheet 587148.00 GBP Million
  • Loans to Private Sector 2488339.00 GBP Million

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
someone who is good at the fiscal policy please help me budget this. my economy is stagnating

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Guavanaut posted:

someone who is good at the fiscal policy please help me budget this. my economy is stagnating

Cut down on banks. You're going to need those candles next month.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

BBC News top headline the day after Boris requested an extension:

"PM has the numbers to pass Brexit Deal"

Not an explanation of what happened, not anything informative, not even an analysis. Just the government line, repeated verbatim, as the biggest piece of news in the country right now. Not even a factual government line, just what they hope will happen. Repeated as fact.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/jowolffbsg/status/1185804361328451589?s=21

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also this. Are young Brits falling out of love with the cuppa?

I prefer rooibos.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ratjaculation posted:

I was in HK last week and everything tasted too peppery

Don't eat at cop diners.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/xtophercook/status/1185866980810723328?s=21

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

I've never liked tea, also please collapse and vanish, British Broadcasting Corporation.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

*explosion in popularity of various kinds of tea and tea-based beverages*

millENNIALS!!!!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Builders tea makes sense when nice tea is expensive. But a box of 200 bags of Earl Grey isn't actually expensive. Why would I drink mediocre PG Tips when I can live out my fantasy of being Jean-Luc Picard & yell at my kettle "Tea, Earl Grey, hot"?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
The young are strange creatures who aggravatingly refuse to do what I say. They must be stupid. And lazy.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/1185662765983260682
Squaring the circle by having all your friends in the media start calling it a square.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Builders tea makes sense when nice tea is expensive. But a box of 200 bags of Earl Grey isn't actually expensive. Why would I drink mediocre PG Tips when I can live out my fantasy of being Jean-Luc Picard & yell at my kettle "Tea, Earl Grey, hot"?
Coca tea is also very good for digestion and nausea, and I found out the real reason that coca leaf is treated as a Class A drug like crack and fentanyl, and it's not because you can make powder cocaine from it with a bunch of other chemicals, it's because of the UN ban in the 60s, which was in turn because of an inaccurate and racist report from 1949 that claims chewing coca makes the Latin savages stupid and lazy.

lol@the-west

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I have decided that in the glorious 1,000 year Corbynista regime, microwave meals that bulk themselves out with peas will be punishable by gulag.

Sensible policies for a better Britain.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Pease, Land, and Bread. :ussr:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/paulbranditv/status/1185835835859652608?s=21

Hope they can get this through. It'd be an excellent way to cushion the blow of Johnson's deal passing.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Am I right in thinking that right now the main threat is:

1) Johnson's deal passes
2) That allows him to cancel any extension offered without violating the Benn Act, but before the WAB is put into law
3) He then cancels the WAB somehow to force no deal?

If so, could we just have an amendment on Tuesday that prevents the extension being cancelled without Parliament's approval?

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/paulbranditv/status/1185835835859652608?s=21

Hope they can get this through. It'd be an excellent way to cushion the blow of Johnson's deal passing.

I'm not hopeful it'll pass, but if it did that would be great for Labour's election manifesto as they no longer need to negotiate a deal with the EU they're then seen to campaign against. Instead it's Remain vs Bad Tory Deal.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
There is still no Commons majority for a second referendum, isn't there? What has changed? This is going to be a very hard sell. On Saturday Starmer was still thundering about the customs checks of the deal and dismissing the high strategy as a CON trick.

xtothez posted:

I'm not hopeful it'll pass, but if it did that would be great for Labour's election manifesto as they no longer need to negotiate a deal with the EU they're then seen to campaign against. Instead it's Remain vs Bad Tory Deal.

Apparently not so:

quote:

He added: “The position we have adopted is whatever the outcome, whether it’s Boris Johnson’s bad deal or a better one which could be secured, it has got to go to a referendum up against remain.”

It is possible they expect it to fail as well and are mainly hoping to head off LDEM for now.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Guavanaut posted:

Coca tea is also very good for digestion and nausea, and I found out the real reason that coca leaf is treated as a Class A drug like crack and fentanyl, and it's not because you can make powder cocaine from it with a bunch of other chemicals, it's because of the UN ban in the 60s, which was in turn because of an inaccurate and racist report from 1949 that claims chewing coca makes the Latin savages stupid and lazy.

lol@the-west

Highly recommend reading One River by the botanist Wade Davis, who spent a lot of his early career researching psychoactive plants from South America (including all three main varieties of coca). He was a student of Richard Schultes, perhaps the single greatest botanist of the Americas, period, and the book is interspersed with amazing throwbacks to exactly the era you're talking about when Schultes was working against the tide of prevailing yankee racism in South America.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Black tea is the best, I've tried loads of different types and always come back to it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

xtothez posted:

Am I right in thinking that right now the main threat is:

1) Johnson's deal passes
2) That allows him to cancel any extension offered without violating the Benn Act, but before the WAB is put into law
3) He then cancels the WAB somehow to force no deal?

If so, could we just have an amendment on Tuesday that prevents the extension being cancelled without Parliament's approval?

It's currently law that Parliament doesn't approve a deal until its implementing legislation is passed. So for that to play out, step 1 would need to include wording overriding the Letwin amendment.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I wonder if wording to circumvent letwin would lead to the bill failing.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Hello posting pals, I have been very busy the past couple weeks and the unread post count has grown too high for me ever to catch up. What's up with the thread title, what has happened to our righteous commissar, communism bitch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

I am a coffee drinker but if I drink tea then I want black tea, with cream.