Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Protocol7 posted:

https://www.krdo.com/news/suspects-identified-in-vehicle-chase-that-led-to-multiple-crashes/1133741863

These lovely people caused a full chase through the city yesterday. Stolen vehicle, siphoning gas. We do unfortunately share the road with these people, but now hopefully not for at least 5-10 years.

High speed police chases are bad???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Protocol7 posted:

Well that's what I mean, just let them have the gas. When they start breaking your car or loving up your gas tank, I don't think the anti-siphoning features are really worth it.

Yeah. I used to have a friend that described her neighborhood as "the part of town where you leave your car unlocked" because if you locked your doors you'd wake up with a smashed window.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

The meth heads around here don't even try to siphon anymore, the cars all have anti-siphon valves. They just find a high clearance vehicle, punch a hole in the gas tank and put a bucket under it. And if the truck has more gas than their bucket can hold they just leave and let it run out on the ground. The work trucks in my work business park have all been hit like that multiple times. The owners are furious but other than install cameras there's not much they can do. Maybe bolt on some plate to make the thieves move on to a different vehicle or something. Or build parking guards like a wood box that they park on or something.

Or just drive cars instead of bro trucks :v:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Protocol7 posted:

Well that's what I mean, just let them have the gas. When they start breaking your car or loving up your gas tank, I don't think the anti-siphoning features are really worth it.

This isn't an issue in areas with fewer meth heads. You're talking about throwing out the baby with the bathwater in service of fixing the wrong end of the problem. And it still requires political action.

In any case, it wouldn't surprise me if your particular situation turned out to be just one guy hitting the same lots over and over because "hey, I didn't get caught last time!" Now, I'm not telling you to camp out behind a bush with a baseball bat...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ok, I get that gas is expensive and methheads need money for more meth. But who are all these people buying gas by the bucket from methheads?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

They are using it in their own stolen cars.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

KillHour posted:

Ok, I get that gas is expensive and methheads need money for more meth. But who are all these people buying gas by the bucket from methheads?

Other methheads.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Other methheads.

Methonomics :iiam:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

Methonomics :iiam:

Economethcs, with profethor Mike Tython.

Everything surrounding it is just so loving frustrating. When you take in to account the harm done all around, and the overall cost of the harm, I don't understand how there isn't any political will to help these people.

They're going to cost you $1500 a month no matter what, either on your insurance bill, in medical costs, in damages to your stuff, in enforcement, in punishment. Locally it seems to be the same pool of 50-100 people arrested every few months after running from the cops in a stolen vehicle filled with meth and sawed-off shotguns.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Powershift posted:

Economethcs, with profethor Mike Tython.

Everything surrounding it is just so loving frustrating. When you take in to account the harm done all around, and the overall cost of the harm, I don't understand how there isn't any political will to help these people.

They're going to cost you $1500 a month no matter what, either on your insurance bill, in medical costs, in damages to your stuff, in enforcement, in punishment. Locally it seems to be the same pool of 50-100 people arrested every few months after running from the cops in a stolen vehicle filled with meth and sawed-off shotguns.

Plenty of will to help them, but they have to be willing to help themselves first.

For thread related content, as of a few months ago, I now have a 3 minute commute. Now that is living the dream. I still see idiots, but 3 minutes of them are a lot better than 45 minutes of them. I am the person you barely share the road with.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Flint Ironstag posted:

For thread related content, as of a few months ago, I now have a 3 minute commute. Now that is living the dream. I still see idiots, but 3 minutes of them are a lot better than 45 minutes of them. I am the person you barely share the road with.

I worked with a guy who had a 1 minute and 25 second commute. If he didn't catch the only light on his route green, it became a 2 minute and 15 second commute. To be honest, I did not envy him as being that close to the hellhole where we worked. I feel that negated the advantage.

On the subject of commuting, I followed a guy last week and was confident that we used the same route every day. He hit the sweet spots on all 4 sets of railroad tracks we crossed and dodged every chuck hole very smoothly.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

slidebite posted:

Might be the rail company footing the cost? Probably sick and tired of shutting the bridge down after every collision and sending engineers to inspect it.

Edmonton has a major bridge with 10'6" clearance that has this issue as well. I found this article from a few years ago.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2584287/we-may-need-to-put-an-even-bigger-sign-up-trucks-keep-getting-stuck-by-edmontons-high-level-bridge/
We have a bridge that's 9'10" in freedom units. A bus driver slammed into it and almost decapitated himself and others.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-07/montague-street-bridge-crash-bus-driver-jack-aston-wins-appeal/11578402

dee eight posted:

I worked with a guy who had a 1 minute and 25 second commute. If he didn't catch the only light on his route green, it became a 2 minute and 15 second commute. To be honest, I did not envy him as being that close to the hellhole where we worked. I feel that negated the advantage.
Still driving to work despite being walking distance, good use of the roads and fuel, car not even warmed up yet :patriot:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How the gently caress do you look at a bridge at eye-level and go "yeah, I'll fit"?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

PancakeTransmission posted:

Still driving to work despite being walking distance, good use of the roads and fuel, car not even warmed up yet :patriot:

I should have said in the first place, but that was his motorcycle commuting time. It was about 2 miles and in a non-pedestrian friendly area.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KillHour posted:

How the gently caress do you look at a bridge at eye-level and go "yeah, I'll fit"?

VERY CARFEULLY

[sic]

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
^^ wrong

KillHour posted:

very carelessly

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You missed the onion-like layers of my joke.

You start with the gross dry outer layer of "looking at something very carefully means looking at it closely"
Then you get to the sweet, juicy layer of having to get closer to read the words "VERY CARFUELLY"
then another sweet layer of the misspelling of the word CAREFULLY
Then a layer refrencing the accident, CARFUELLY, car-fuellly. You crash, gas leaks, fires, it's a whole big thing
Then the bitter bitter core of it actually being misspelled CARFEULLY in the original post because I've been drinking, like the bus driver probably was.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

We got it. The better joke is carlessly, which you're going to be after you hit it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KillHour posted:

We got it. The better joke is carlessly, which you're going to be after you hit it.

Well, they can't all be hits, some have to be under the bar.

Otherwise it's not a bridge it's a speed bump

E: literal representation of what was being discussed

Powershift fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 21, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Might be the rail company footing the cost? Probably sick and tired of shutting the bridge down after every collision and sending engineers to inspect it.

Edmonton has a major bridge with 10'6" clearance that has this issue as well. I found this article from a few years ago.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2584287/we-may-need-to-put-an-even-bigger-sign-up-trucks-keep-getting-stuck-by-edmontons-high-level-bridge/

I drove down the high level bridge in a dodge dually with the stock from suspension at 170k once.

https://goo.gl/maps/5TGHuH1rG5AcfBhQ7

it suuuuuuuucked

e: this is 300 feet away from where that truck hit.

They say every time a truck gets stuck in it, a sign post gets its sign.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 21, 2019

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Drove past a guy this afternoon who had his drivers door secured with a pair of ratchet straps that led from the roof racks to somewhere under the floor. I thought it went the whole way around the car but it was just the drivers door.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just duct tape it shut? Hell, pull out the drill and just screw both parts together?

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

um excuse me posted:

My guess is theyll just use thinner beams and increase the number of them, raising the bridge and not having to grade the tracks. The videos show they only ever needed, what, an extra foot?

I suspect it will be a combination, thinner beams and a very slight increase in grade. Should be easy to pick up a foot or two that way.

I'm also guessing that there's damage to the bridge that needs to be repaired, so the railroad is opting to fix the cause of the problem instead of slapping a band-aid repair on it. This project is moving way too fast to be planned maintenance.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

PremiumSupport posted:

I suspect it will be a combination, thinner beams and a very slight increase in grade. Should be easy to pick up a foot or two that way.

I'm also guessing that there's damage to the bridge that needs to be repaired, so the railroad is opting to fix the cause of the problem instead of slapping a band-aid repair on it. This project is moving way too fast to be planned maintenance.

Lifting the tracks is actually not that hard*, you just need to dump ballast and pull the tracks up through it. Granted, at a 0.5% grade you'd need over 1,000' of taper on each side of the bridge to get a 5'-0" rise, which would affect any other bridges and grade crossings within the limits of that taper...

*Compared to undercutting track to add clearance under bridges and through tunnels.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

NoWake posted:

Lifting the tracks is actually not that hard*, you just need to dump ballast and pull the tracks up through it. Granted, at a 0.5% grade you'd need over 1,000' of taper on each side of the bridge to get a 5'-0" rise, which would affect any other bridges and grade crossings within the limits of that taper...

*Compared to undercutting track to add clearance under bridges and through tunnels.

Yeah, you can basically do it overnight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIbZqqLra9k`

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It's that time again. :australia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CF9hJmf6JA

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Ah, my monthly reminder to buy a dashcam and to never visit Australia.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

PremiumSupport posted:

"fix"

It's a better band-aid than anything they've done before, but still nowhere near actually addressing the problem, which is that the bridge is lower than 90% of commercial vehicles.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
Living in the Phoenix area, it's not shocking at all to see that this occurred on the west side of town.

https://twitter.com/azfamily/status/1187109739408183296

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ProjektorBoy posted:

Living in the Phoenix area, it's not shocking at all to see that this occurred on the west side of town.

https://twitter.com/azfamily/status/1187109739408183296

That also almost happened because people kept turning left in front of the family. There does not appear to be a protected left there, so they're all being assholes as well, and stranded them in the intersection, increasing their danger.
That douchebaggery is less bad than the red light runner, but gently caress people who don't yield to peds.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

nm posted:

That also almost happened because people kept turning left in front of the family. There does not appear to be a protected left there, so they're all being assholes as well, and stranded them in the intersection, increasing their danger.
That douchebaggery is less bad than the red light runner, but gently caress people who don't yield to peds.

Yeah, I get honked at frequently for waving pedestrians through, when they pause even though they have the right of way. Screw the honkers, walking to get anywhere takes long enough as it is.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My philosophy has been that basically basically holding the road open for peds.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
So who had the right of way?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

So I recently started a new job, and had been advised by multiple parties that the person I was replacing was a complete moron. His work related idiocy is enough for an effort post on its own, but over the last couple of days I’ve learned a great deal about his car related idiocy. I only have to work alongside him for five days but these are probably the longest five days of my life. I’m going to bullet point it so I don’t make a massive wall of text.
  • As part of the employee renumeration package he gets a van.
  • Said van has an engine management light on of some kind, but he doesn’t know what exactly.
  • In the case of warnings, servicing etc there is a number to call to get it rectified. He has not done this.
  • He does however theorise that the reason this light is on is because in his own words “he rags the poo poo out of it all the time” and has done some work on the engine.
  • Working on the engine is expressly forbidden by company policy; should there be any problems you call the same number mentioned before.
  • This is the same van I’m getting next week once he has left. Lucky me.
  • His own car is a 12 year old BMW 318i saloon.
  • He is unfortunately a living breathing stereotype of the young, male BMW driver who can’t afford anything more than an _18i/d due to getting utterly ratfucked by insurance costs because of risk demographics and their own personal conduct.
  • In his words he “drives like a total prick, but in a safe way because [he] is a really good driver.” His anecdotes do not support the latter half of his statement and his car bears numerous scars as evidence of his general level of ability.
  • His 318i is a basket case, having had multiple repairs done including 3 new head baskets over the last few years. It has also displayed an engine malfunction warning for the last two months. This doesn’t stop him from ragging the car all the time.
  • I decided to pop his reg number into the MOT database to see if it had been historically mistreated as I suspected it had. It has had multiple failures due to issues such as excessively worn brakes, tyres below the legal minimum tread depth, and most disturbingly loose wheels.
  • It also doesn’t have a valid MOT, having expired a week ago.
  • Due to the car becoming a money pit, he has decided to get rid of it. Rather than selling it or part exchanging it like a normal person, he has decided to try and get the car written off.
  • The reason for this is because he feels if he tries to sell it he will only get a few hundred pounds, but is insured for £5000 (the amount he originally paid for it). I did try and explain to him that insurers will only pay the current market value of the car at the time of the write off regardless of how much you paid or what you feel it is worth. He didn’t believe me. For reference, the current going rate for good examples of the 318i of that year range between £1000-£2000 depending on mileage and trim level.
  • It doesn’t seem to have occurred to him that being in the bottom age bracket with previous accidents and speeding offences already on record, that any extra cash he could get from an insurance payout will be far outweighed by the turbofucking his insurance premiums will get for the next four years.

It’s a shame really because on a personal level he is a really nice dude but just really, really stupid. My personal hope is that his engine grenades itself before he can hurt himself or someone else. Unfortunately I feel it is going to take a very unpleasant wake up call before he sorts himself out, but I also fear he is one of those people who is simply incapable of learning from his mistakes. The utter gently caress up he has made of the inventory management system seems to support the latter.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Dick Trauma posted:

So who had the right of way?

Go home Dasher, you're drunk

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

CannonFodder posted:

I mean, at least he's trying to catch a ride instead of driving.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

If that came through the side window, it would ruin your day/life. Bonus points for not being a doe.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

If that came through the side window, it would ruin your day/life. Bonus points for not being a doe.

For a split second that was the cheapest car on the road, because it was under a buck :dadjoke:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

CannonFodder posted:

Just trying to get home with on of those rideshares he's heard so much about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

My e39 must have one of these, it would explain so much.