Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I wanted to make a more-than-two-genders joke here but I lack the chops to make it funny enough to be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The girl on the left said Silent Hill?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Agents are GO! posted:

I wanted to make a more-than-two-genders joke here but I lack the chops to make it funny enough to be worth it.

https://twitter.com/LeftAtLondon/status/1175523532857462784

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Twistershift
Feb 7, 2007

Ayy Le-Mao

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Nvm.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Look, I don't want to be remembered as that guy who comes into the meme thread to explain to people how they're misusing the word "connotation" in memes, but c'mon dude this is just all kinds of ridiculous. You're making me look like an rear end in a top hat in front of the rest of the thread.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Blurred posted:

Look, I don't want to be remembered as that guy who comes into the meme thread to explain to people how they're misusing the word "connotation" in memes, but c'mon dude this is just all kinds of ridiculous. You're making me look like an rear end in a top hat in front of the rest of the thread.

Good post.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Blurred posted:

Look, I don't want to be remembered as that guy who comes into the meme thread to explain to people how they're misusing the word "connotation" in memes, but c'mon dude this is just all kinds of ridiculous. You're I'm making me look like an rear end in a top hat in front of the rest of the thread.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Blurred posted:

Go on, what does connotation mean. This is my favorite meme.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sound. Wait for it.
https://i.imgur.com/K7aBBhm.mp4

Sound
https://i.imgur.com/Yl4BTfs.mp4

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

bare bottom pancakes posted:

Go on, what does connotation mean. This is my favorite meme.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Linguistics owns please continue.

Discuss: Lust in German means interest/desire. How does its connotation and denotation differ/have similarities with regards to the English usages?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

This blurred post is hazy

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ok

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

You've heard of smug Wendy's and KFC dating sim now get ready for

"Yes. We do fund genocides in Africa. No I don't want to talk about it."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Polyseme posted:

Good post.

:stare:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

How do you know it refers to a sexual partner lol

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Lmao good post here

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Mokinokaro posted:

"Yes. We do fund genocides in Africa. No I don't want to talk about it."

What?

I mean I like dunking on Chik-Fil-A for lovely moral standings but I need more info.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I love this thread, but am too dumb to understand most of the linguistics jokes, but please continue. They seem fun :)

Side note from a few pages back: I take it as a matter of pride that I have never seen or heard or whatever "baby shark" so whenever someone posts that doo doo doo thing and everyone gets upset? I can laugh because I have no context for it, and no, I refuse to learn.

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Memento posted:

sick geology or w/e memes

hell yeah

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Android Apocalypse posted:

What?

I mean I like dunking on Chik-Fil-A for lovely moral standings but I need more info.

Chik-fil-a funds some Christian group that sent representatives to basically write Uganda's new bill that essentially legalizes killing homosexuals.

gently caress chik-fil-a into the core of the earth.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Snopes has a detailed breakdown on it. It's one of those things that's true in broad strokes but not in the details:

* Uganda criminalizes homosexuality but a bill to make it a capital crime failed years ago. The minister pushing it claimed they were reviving the bill, but the government officially denied it.

* The National Christian Foundation funds anti-LGBT projects in Uganda, but there's no direct link between them and the "gays will be punished with death" bill.

* The WinShape Foundation, the charitable organization founded by Truett and Jeannette Cathy (the Chick-Fil-A founder and his wife), has funded the NCF.

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

* The National Christian Foundation funds anti-LGBT projects in Uganda, but there's no direct link between them and the "gays will be punished with death" bill.

Is that like "X funded anti-Jewish projects in Germany, but there was no direct link between them and the Holocaust"?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Why not both?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is that like "X funded anti-Jewish projects in Germany, but there was no direct link between them and the Holocaust"?

Yeah it's just a coincidence that Prescott Bush gave American intel and weaponry to the nazis and then a huge pile of money showed up at his house.

What's important here is his grandson and Ellen are bffs

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

Zipperelli. posted:

Chik-fil-a funds some Christian group that sent representatives to basically write Uganda's new bill that essentially legalizes killing homosexuals.

gently caress chik-fil-a into the core of the earth.

This is why I eat Popeyes. Truly “the people’s chicken”.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Blurred posted:

Definitions are descriptive, not proscriptive, and the meaning of words is fluid, so if you say something and everyone (except pedants, but nobody cares what they think) understands what you meant then you have used it correctly.

Argue that, nerd.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/tj99er/status/1184894430685192192
https://twitter.com/gray_north/status/1184999565209980930

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I don't know why, but I pressed the play button on that vid 0.5 times.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jerry Cotton posted:

It’s more that there’s no evidence that the bill is actually being written into law in the first place, so “Chick-fil-a is funding a bill to legalize murdering gay people” isn’t necessarily a true statement but “Chick-fil-a funds an organization that fights to oppress LGBT people” is definitely true.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

It’s more that there’s no evidence that the bill is actually being written into law in the first place, so “Chick-fil-a is funding a bill to legalize murdering gay people” isn’t necessarily a true statement but “Chick-fil-a funds an organization that fights to oppress LGBT people” is definitely true.

I'll take that as a "yes".

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

frankenfreak posted:

I don't know why, but I pressed the play button on that vid 0.5 times.

Well, now you've got a click stored to use later. Useful things, but a lot of scuttlebug manipulation involved too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Oi guv, linguistic drift ameliorated my fave technical denotation!