Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They never really conclusively said, "he's not Vicki!" I felt, as much as the Michael question had been superseded by proof that Janet was taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
No, the ending is pretty conclusive about it. Eleanor doesn't think there is any chance Michael is actually Vicki in a suit. That is a conclusion. No-one has to literally say "Yes, Michael is definitely Michael and not Vicki at all" for it to be conclusive, because that's be some pretty ham handed writing if they did.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mameluke posted:

They never really conclusively said, "he's not Vicki!" I felt, as much as the Michael question had been superseded by proof that Janet was taken.

This thread is astonishing

Vietnamwees posted:

Wait, so Michael couldn't unfold because all the residents would of seen it and put the experiment in danger, but how exactly? They already know that they're dead and in the good place, what does it matter if they see a giant fire squid?

Uhhh because they're in heaven??? What would a giant deadly fire squid be doing in any reasonable version of heaven

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Regy Rusty posted:

Uhhh because they're in heaven??? What would a giant deadly fire squid be doing in any reasonable version of heaven

Any instance of heaven that doesn't include a 6,000 foot tall fire squid is no heaven I want to be associated with.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Any instance of heaven that doesn't include a 6,000 foot tall fire squid is no heaven I want to be associated with.

This is why you'll never go to there Good Place

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

They've already done the Chaos scenario with a giant mascot and rampaging golf balls, not to mention the Derek dying thing. Weird poo poo happening is already the norm for this instance of the Good Place.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Yeah, but none of the chaos has teeth, everywhere.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
He didn't want to take it off because he didn't want his friends to see his true cosmic horror form, and the episode was pretty conclusive about it not being Vicky. Have the mods been resetting people's memories in this thread to punish us?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
What if it is Michael in a Vicki suit in a Michael suit and he didn't want to take off two suits because Michael discovered that humans are really sweaty and he's embarrassed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I hope we do actually make it to the fireworks factory.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Xelkelvos posted:

This is why you'll never go to there Good Place

He’s eaten way too much French bread for that to ever be an option.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The whole thing raises interesting questions as Michael is pretty classically demonic under his suit, all fire and horrible smells and teeth, so would the Angels under their suits fit the classical biblical depictions of "wings that don't make practical sense and faces so beautiful it drives you to madness/wheels of fire with eyes and wings", and if so those are things that we have a cultural expectation for how they'd look, but the Judge is unique. The gently caress would her actual form be under the suit? There are no classical denizens of purgatory to base any guesses off of.

I've always been fond of overthinking though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

The whole thing raises interesting questions as Michael is pretty classically demonic under his suit, all fire and horrible smells and teeth, so would the Angels under their suits fit the classical biblical depictions of "wings that don't make practical sense and faces so beautiful it drives you to madness/wheels of fire with eyes and wings", and if so those are things that we have a cultural expectation for how they'd look, but the Judge is unique. The gently caress would her actual form be under the suit? There are no classical denizens of purgatory to base any guesses off of.

A burrito

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

BioEnchanted posted:

Anubis?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
This thread is the bad place.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Jason's been pretty smart lately, who's wearing him as a suit?
:thunk:

I don't think I saw any of the twists coming - that it was Glenn, that Glenn would explode, that it was Bad Janet, and biggest of all, that we're four episodes in and the main plot is still on track (versus, say, last season's Jeremy Bearimy).

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
We should discuss more important things, like figuring out which eight Game of Thrones characters are based on Tahani.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If you have to ask which 8 Game of Thrones characters are based on Tahani, than you are obviously not ready to learn anymore about them :colbert:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Argue posted:

We should discuss more important things, like figuring out which eight Game of Thrones characters are based on Tahani.

Just to repeat, she was 11 when the book was released dammit! That's assuming she's the same age as her actor, anyway.

Now they've captured bad Janet how do we still have a neighbourhood at all? That's my only question.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I have a theory about Brent or whatever the Big rear end in a top hat's name is - the characters running the experiment are afraid of blowing it by upsetting him, so they ignore him, and Janet has no choice but to get him what he asks for because there is no "I can't get that for you" in the good place. However, Simone, Chidi and John have no such fears - as far as they are concerned, they are in the Good Place and this rear end in a top hat is dragging everyone's mood down by pissing everyone off. Eventually even John's gonna get sick of him. That will be his big wakeup call, Simone (most likely) calling him out because he's ruining her afterlife. Maybe even sucker punching him. And no one will be on his side.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I thought they said in the first season that a neighborhood has to have a Janet to run? I guess they have a Janet now, but she could blow up the whole neighborhood if she felt like it before they marbelize her.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

itry posted:

I thought they said in the first season that a neighborhood has to have a Janet to run? I guess they have a Janet now, but she could blow up the whole neighborhood if she felt like it before they marbelize her.

Maybe there'll be a "Keep the neighborhood running while we save our Janet, and we won't tell Shawn that you failed him. As far as he's concerned you'll still be fooling us."

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Taear posted:

Just to repeat, she was 11 when the book was released dammit! That's assuming she's the same age as her actor, anyway.

Now they've captured bad Janet how do we still have a neighbourhood at all? That's my only question.

She's talking about the show. Which I think people explained to you already?

Also I was reading fantasy akin to asoiaf at age 11, what is your point?

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 20, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, ADWD came out... holy poo poo, 8 years ago?!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Taear posted:

Half the Stark family were young kids in the first book, too, and it's been established that Tahani and her sister were child prodigies.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

itry posted:

I think blowing up the neighborhood would pretty much make the Bad Place lose. They've already cheated a great deal in the experiment. It'll probably be funnier if Bad Janet has to replace Good Janet and help keep the neighborhood running while being annoyed doing it.

But it's pretty much impossible to guess where this show is going.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think everyone is overlooking the obvious, they are going to get Derek to run the neighborhood until they get Janet back.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

bull3964 posted:

I think everyone is overlooking the obvious, they are going to get Derek to run the neighborhood until they get Janet back.

Good call.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

bull3964 posted:

Very much so. His appearance last episode was basically Chekhov’s wind chimes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I miss chidi being part of the group dynamic. :( I know it's part of the endless shaking things up but it feels emptier without him. I hope he gets looped back in soon.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 20, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

itry posted:

Well that would probably be counterproductive for the bad place too. No matter what happens the experiment is going to run its course. Blowing it up would make the judge reset it and punish the bad place. I already argued why our gang doesn't want that but the bad place probably doesn't either. Their goal is to make the experiment itself fail so everything they do that makes the judge change something has a chance of hurting their goal in a way they can't predict.

Or maybe they just desperately want to avoid what she said she was gonna do to Shawn...

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The bad place could also subotage the experiments repeatedly and hope they give up? Janet didn't seem to care either way. But for bad Janets not caring is their whole thing.

bull3964 posted:

:ohdear: I hope not. Imagine the chaos.

itry fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 20, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

itry posted:

:ohdear: I hope not. Imagine the chaos.

But he's better now!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I'll reserve judgment until we see him making another Derek cocktail

MikeJF posted:

The Judge said anything else happens and Shaun is getting imprisoned.

I forgot that somehow.

itry fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 20, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You know, looking back at the issue they were originally having (they couldn't prove that humans could improve because Team Cockroach hadn't had their scores tracked) it really would've made more sense to just send the roaches back around for iteration 803, since they aced the first 802. But then that wouldn't make good TV.

When we see Michael's true form it better still be wearing a bow tie.

itry posted:

The bad place could also subotage the experiments repeatedly and hope they give up? Janet didn't seem to care either way. But for bad Janets not caring is their whole thing.

The Judge said anything else happens and Shaun is getting imprisoned. Well, she said she'd strap him to a chair and make him watch puppy videos, I assume she meant at least until this is over.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 20, 2019

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
So this is why I have Hulu. I'm too lazy to read the thread, but the poorly drawn childhood horse looked like something straight from 2008 somethingawful. Are there any goons working on the show?

(Yes, I know there are other groups with professional artists coloring in children's drawings, but I think SA was the first place I encountered it.)

The_Doctor posted:

Chekhov’s wind chimes.

Lol!

Derek

Bored fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 20, 2019

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

BioEnchanted posted:

My go-to for for weird afterlife stuff is the Chinese celestial buraucracy.

Wikipedia posted:

ji
In Chinese mythology, King Yan (simplified Chinese: 阎王; traditional Chinese: 閻王; pinyin: Yánwáng) is the god of death and the ruler of Diyu, overseeing the "Ten Kings of Hell". He is also known as Yanluo (阎罗王; 閻羅王; Yánluówáng), a transcription of the Sanskrit for King Yama (यम राज, Yama Rājā). In both ancient and modern times, Yan is portrayed as a large man with a scowling red face, bulging eyes, and a long beard. He wears traditional robes and a judge's cap or a crown which bears the character for "king" (王). He typically appears on Chinese hell money in the position reserved for political figures on regular currency.

Yan is not only the ruler but also the judge of the underworld and passes judgment on all the dead. He always appears in a male form, and his minions include a judge who holds in his hands a brush and a book listing every soul and the allotted death date for every life. Ox-Head and Horse-Face, the fearsome guardians of hell, bring the newly dead, one by one, before Yan for judgement. Men or women with merit will be rewarded good future lives or even revival in their previous life. Men or women who committed misdeeds will be sentenced to torture or miserable future lives. In some versions, Yan divides Diyu into eight, ten, or eighteen courts each ruled by a Yan King, such as King Chujiang, who rules the court reserved for thieves and murderer

So her true form could be what we see and the mustache and beard mentioned in East Asian mythology were just because humans are hella sexist and she knew she would have to waste time getting them to pay attention if they saw her as a female.

Or they could go with red Buddha with bulging eyes.

Or horse-face demon was only a guard while interning for its celestial Justice degree and is now the judge. Really, anything having to do with the afterlife allows for so many weird options.

Sorry for the double post.

Bored fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 20, 2019

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

MikeJF posted:

I miss chidi being part of the group dynamic. :( I know it's part of the endless shaking things up but it feels emptier without him. I hope he gets looped back in soon.

I agree, William Jackson Harper played neurotic very well but he gave Chidi a real depth and warmth that I didn't realise until it wasn't there any more. He was such a good choice for the role.

They all were, tbh. I know Jason Mantzoukas isn't everyone's cup of tea but he brings a real "Mork from Ork" energy that I find hysterical here

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bored posted:

So this is why I have Hulu. I'm too lazy to read the thread, but the poorly drawn childhood horse looked like something straight from 2008 somethingawful. Are there any goons working on the show?

I had to laugh the other day when I watched Greener Grass, and behind D’Arcy’s character was a (slightly better) drawn horse.

Also she was guest on The Teacher’s Lounge podcast the other week, and out of nowhere she just says ‘hey check this out!’ and sings their theme tune at them. She’s all kinds of great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

The_Doctor posted:

Chekhov’s wind chimes.

The Good Place Season 4 - Chekhov’s wind chimes.