Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Phenotype posted:

Why does my inventory ping all the time, even when I know I haven't gotten anything new?

do you have any items in your inventory that are highlighted in orange? click on them until the highlight goes away and see if that does the trick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Send help guys, I can't stop being boring sad cop.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Sad cop is canon. Not sure about the boring part.

But it's OK. You can get better. :)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
They call me the "can opener"... I like it. I really like it. It's great having +9 in modifiers to a check from really piecing everything together. It's also clever how many decoy options are put into these interrogations which look good, but would only be distracting from the spell your words are weaving.

Day 3 is at a close, I got my gun back, but no bullets. I hope I can find some. Thankfully I suppose. Man... if you don't have high enough in the relevant MOT skills for that, the morale penalty would be just terrible. I don't know what a "*** pale *** emitter is, specifically, but it does not sound good. Gotta talk to Joyce when Kim's not around.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I found two bullets. I don't know if there are more.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

pmchem posted:

Is it currently possible start a 1/1/1/1 character without mods and successfully complete the main quest?
Sometimes the game seems to have an extra path in case you fail all the checks, but you have to take damage in some failures, and you're always poor, so you may not have the medicine to heal up, so you might get hosed.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Is there a fix to waking up on day 2 and being unable to move?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Manually save and reload

Xenos
Jun 17, 2005

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

This happened to me on day 3, saving and reloading fixed it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Well poo poo. I had so much fun with the (outside bookstore spoiler) Working class lady from speculating on her absent husband, when it turned out he has been dead for days as she waited idly, and I had to go break the news to her. Just this loving game

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Well poo poo. I had so much fun with the (outside bookstore spoiler) Working class lady from speculating on her absent husband, when it turned out he has been dead for days as she waited idly, and I had to go break the news to her. Just this loving game

when i first popped that quest i went by the bookstore and noticed she was missing, and then the name "billie jean" came up on during my conversation with HQ and i just kind of held my head in my hands for a while

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Zikan posted:

Manually save and reload

It won't let me save, I've reloaded a bunch but nothing yet.

Edit: Rebooting the game fixed it.

Mr.Pibbleton fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 20, 2019

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Veris posted:

I know a few sidequests that unlock the mural check, you might've done them already but
completing the missing husband/dead guy quest, the cryptzoology quest, checking the firing squad site for sure
I think investigating the doomed commercial area and completing the church questline may also unlock it

Oh yeah, I've done all of those. I think I'm boned. :(

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

what I learned from my first run regarding that is to do plot until I get stuck on a check and only then go and do side stuff.

btw regarding shivers if you take a drink you should be able to put another point in it due to the increased phys stat, but I don't know what happens if you do when the effect wears off.

Thanks, I'll try this. It really sucks that there's alternative options for every other plot-critical thing but not for this one.

e: Yup, this worked! Kinda salty that my boring, sober cop had to booze it up, but at least I can continue the story.

Radiation Cow fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 20, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

when i first popped that quest i went by the bookstore and noticed she was missing, and then the name "billie jean" came up on during my conversation with HQ and i just kind of held my head in my hands for a while

That's definitely one of the most memorable gut-punches this game has in it. It's just such a... mundane case, too. No foul play. Nothing fancy. Just a man who got drunk and died in an accident.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

How do the Thoughts work? I got three of them, and now the fourth one is unusable til I unlock more thought spaces? And it costs 100xp to get RID of a thought? What happens to the bonuses if I forget them? Do I have to learn them all over again? I need to get my poo poo together and I don't have any room.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Phenotype posted:

How do the Thoughts work? I got three of them, and now the fourth one is unusable til I unlock more thought spaces? And it costs 100xp to get RID of a thought? What happens to the bonuses if I forget them? Do I have to learn them all over again? I need to get my poo poo together and I don't have any room.

You can use level ups to unlock more slots. :)

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
A removed thought is gone forever.

I internalized everything I came across because it's interesting, but it was probably a really inefficient use of skill points since I had to keep making room after 15. It'd be nice if it used a different currency or you could preview the solution mechanics.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Phenotype posted:

Honestly don't know why forgetting Thought Cabinet stuff requires a skill point. You already can never "recover" the thought you discard so it's already costing you something.

Honestly feel that a few of the slots should be unlocked "naturally" as the days in-game go by, as a sign that you're recovering a bit and getting your head straight

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

So, I finally talked about reality with Joyce and WTF is with this world :psyduck:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Mordecai posted:

A removed thought is gone forever.

I internalized everything I came across because it's interesting, but it was probably a really inefficient use of skill points since I had to keep making room after 15. It'd be nice if it used a different currency or you could preview the solution mechanics.

Wait, really? I have permanent -1s in two skills that I wanted high ranks in from gay space communism but it has a cool buff attached. So if I ever want to get those skill points back it costs me 100xp and then I lose the buff forever?

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Harrow posted:

That's definitely one of the most memorable gut-punches this game has in it. It's just such a... mundane case, too. No foul play. Nothing fancy. Just a man who got drunk and died in an accident.

I found that moment one of the harder moments as well, because there is no catharsis, there's no crazy twist that only you can figure out, there's no million to one skill roll that let's you solve the case.
It's just a sad thing that happened in a sad place.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

85% chance of waking it the gently caress up and loving drama decides to stonewall me against My Own Legitest Bro And True Friend, Volition

edit: GOD drat Visual Calculus you are amazing

dead gay comedy forums fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 20, 2019

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

lunar detritus posted:

So, I finally talked about reality with Joyce and WTF is with this world :psyduck:

Seriously that bit had me in such a daze. Like, technically it's just ye olde lore dump, but the way it's told... I dunno which one needed a drink afterwards more, me or the protagonist.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is it possible to go through the game without ever reporting your badge missing?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I reported finding my badge and was really disappointed when the operator didn't ask where I found it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

frajaq posted:

Honestly don't know why forgetting Thought Cabinet stuff requires a skill point. You already can never "recover" the thought you discard so it's already costing you something.

Honestly feel that a few of the slots should be unlocked "naturally" as the days in-game go by, as a sign that you're recovering a bit and getting your head straight

Some thoughts have penalties associated with them or lock things off and you won't know until you've fully internalized them. I think the skill point cost to forget them is intended to make you think twice about internalizing a new thought because you have no idea what effects it can actually have.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Some thoughts have penalties associated with them or lock things off and you won't know until you've fully internalized them. I think the skill point cost to forget them is intended to make you think twice about internalizing a new thought because you have no idea what effects it can actually have.

I'm going to internalize them anyway

and then regret it

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Harrow posted:

all this does is giving people an incentive to look up the results of the thoughts ahead of time lol

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

frajaq posted:

all this does is giving people an incentive to look up the results of the thoughts ahead of time lol

only cowards would do this

Edit: Also a lot of thoughts open up new dialogue options, even if isn't apparent

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Just finished downloading it. Immediately killed by the ceiling fan in the room you wake up in.

Game owns so far.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So, on my second playthrough, I failed to get money from Joyce and it's really late. I also don't appear to be able to sleep on a bench. Any hints as to alternative places to sleep?

frajaq posted:

I mean, you could argue that the random skill checks just give people an incentive to quicksave before every conversation to get the result they want. There's a degree to which eventually a designer just has to trust that a player's going to play the right way for them, I guess. :shrug:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
My first death came from a heart attack after sitting on an uncomfortable chair in the union boss office.

This game is wild.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

/r/DiscoElysium subreddit passed 1000 subscribers today from virtually nothing a week ago

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Broken Cog posted:

Is it possible to go through the game without ever reporting your badge missing?

Yep. Never reported it missing. Once you find it, the option to report something to your station vanishes. I'm not sure I could report my missing gun at all, but I didn't really check much. Oddly, you don't seem to have the ability to report your car's loss too.

Harrow posted:

So, on my second playthrough, I failed to get money from Joyce and it's really late. I also don't appear to be able to sleep on a bench. Any hints as to alternative places to sleep?

There are none on Day 1 and Day 2. On Day 1, Kim will cover your tab. If you don't have the money to pay by the time Garte turns in on Day 2, though, you're stuck and must reload.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

Never mind. I figured it out.

Poor Kim. What a guy. :smith:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

The Horrific Necktie was the real hero of this story demanding that I buy the mysterious bottle of blue alcohol from the hobo, telling me it would come in handy later, then many hours later telling me that it was time and to stuff it into the bottle and be ready. And then the tribunal happened and my now anthropomorphic petrol bomb really came in handy. And as I threw it me and the Horrific Necktie had a beautiful conversation, a moment frozen in time. We re-lived past memories, had a real connection. Then time flowed again and the horrific necktie in his bottle of blue medicinal alcohol burst upon the mercenary setting him ablaze. I loved that Horrific Necktie.

Also somehow my save game and two previous autosaves became corrupted somehow and refused to load so I had to go back to an even earlier autosave which meant I had to replay a couple hours of stuff. I tried playing it through exactly how I had originally but failed an easy skill test I breezed past originally. A bunch of my skills piped in with some good suggestions and I actually managed to uncover some poo poo I didn't originally which was pretty cool.

Game good.
In conclusion:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Nordick posted:

Seriously that bit had me in such a daze. Like, technically it's just ye olde lore dump, but the way it's told... I dunno which one needed a drink afterwards more, me or the protagonist.

Yes! It wasn't a lore dump, that's the trick. She doesn't realize the extent of your amnesia, so she takes the opportunity to entertain herself - remember that she says that she loves that part of the day when you pick that dialogue - and so she is talking to you in a "come on, you already know this" way, being matter-of-factly and with just the right amount of flair.

Which, comprehensively, makes you freak the gently caress out once you realize that there is some geographical weird-rear end-metafuckery going on here, written just right to get you - the player - to wonder what the gently caress. Because you only had glimpses and one thing here or there to show that that are some strange physical properties rolling around, Joyce's approach is exactly what not to do since it only serves to freak you out more: "NO, I don't understand what is going on and WHY YOU PEOPLE ARE ALL OKAY WITH THAT?"

And this is one of the very best low-key criticisms that the text of the game provide: this is a *very* leftist game. Both Joyce, a rich executive, and the Paledriver, a working-class hauler, are suffering from the "irradiation" that the Pale causes. Why they are irradiated? Because they have to hop between the Isolas, the "pieces of the world" as it were, transporting goods or doing services.

Why the drivers must be sent along with the goods? Why Joyce has to sit personally with other executives in other Isolas? This doesn't add up, there are ultra-long-range communications devised in this world, and the level of technology involved seems to suggest that you could automate a lot of the problems involved. But wait, even if automation isn't possible, what about rotation? It seems that there are safe levels of pale tolerance. Revachol has some of the largest tenement city blocks in this world, full of misery... These people could not be put in a rotation system? Hell, some parts of the Pale seem to be ground - the Western Plains - couldn't you build rail this way?

The reason why people are getting pale-hosed is, put it simply, capitalism: it is cheaper to transport a lorry driver along with the goods instead of two that would do it safely. Joyce, no matter how skilled she is, has to deal with the human ego, not to mention the fact that powerful people love it when you go to them. poo poo, how many times a meeting at your work that took three hours to do could be simply solved by throwing an e-mail to everyone?

That is what makes your own "WHAT THE gently caress YOU PEOPLE" as a player match so well your character's, since the naïve eyes can actually perceive much more of the sheer horror of the implications, a tremendous overdose of the Real, than the people immersed in it are: all of you do not have any idea of what the hell is going on and yet we are loving around with it (or not-it, you get the idea) and everybody seems to be chill. We, as player and player-character, are actually having the right, well-adjusted, sane and rational response. This is not chill, this is a gigantic clusterfuck of cosmic proportions.

DISCO ELYSIUM everyone!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Yes! It wasn't a lore dump, that's the trick. She doesn't realize the extent of your amnesia, so she takes the opportunity to entertain herself - remember that she says that she loves that part of the day when you pick that dialogue - and so she is talking to you in a "come on, you already know this" way, being matter-of-factly and with just the right amount of flair.

Which, comprehensively, makes you freak the gently caress out once you realize that there is some geographical weird-rear end-metafuckery going on here, written just right to get you - the player - to wonder what the gently caress. Because you only had glimpses and one thing here or there to show that that are some strange physical properties rolling around, Joyce's approach is exactly what not to do since it only serves to freak you out more: "NO, I don't understand what is going on and WHY YOU PEOPLE ARE ALL OKAY WITH THAT?"

And this is one of the very best low-key criticisms that the text of the game provide: this is a *very* leftist game. Both Joyce, a rich executive, and the Paledriver, a working-class hauler, are suffering from the "irradiation" that the Pale causes. Why they are irradiated? Because they have to hop between the Isolas, the "pieces of the world" as it were, transporting goods or doing services.

Why the drivers must be sent along with the goods? Why Joyce has to sit personally with other executives in other Isolas? This doesn't add up, there are ultra-long-range communications devised in this world, and the level of technology involved seems to suggest that you could automate a lot of the problems involved. But wait, even if automation isn't possible, what about rotation? It seems that there are safe levels of pale tolerance. Revachol has some of the largest tenement city blocks in this world, full of misery... These people could not be put in a rotation system? Hell, some parts of the Pale seem to be ground - the Western Plains - couldn't you build rail this way?

The reason why people are getting pale-hosed is, put it simply, capitalism: it is cheaper to transport a lorry driver along with the goods instead of two that would do it safely. Joyce, no matter how skilled she is, has to deal with the human ego, not to mention the fact that powerful people love it when you go to them. poo poo, how many times a meeting at your work that took three hours to do could be simply solved by throwing an e-mail to everyone?

That is what makes your own "WHAT THE gently caress YOU PEOPLE" as a player match so well your character's, since the naïve eyes can actually perceive much more of the sheer horror of the implications, a tremendous overdose of the Real, than the people immersed in it are: all of you do not have any idea of what the hell is going on and yet we are loving around with it (or not-it, you get the idea) and everybody seems to be chill. We, as player and player-character, are actually having the right, well-adjusted, sane and rational response. This is not chill, this is a gigantic clusterfuck of cosmic proportions.

DISCO ELYSIUM everyone!

theres an entire conversation ingame about automation, and that they are working on automating the lorry jobs. i forgot the exact contents of the conversations but iirc there was at least something in there about people not wanting to lose their jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.