Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Yeah that’s about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

It’s almost like they wanted to share data with other entities but still maintain plausible deniability :thunk:

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Wylie posted:

Just so we all know what domino's next to fall, Pompeo's position here is this: President Trump and his closest advisors released military aid to Ukraine based on their conclusion that Ukraine had taken steps to reduce corruption and, as a bonus, they at the same time realized that even though the EU wasn't sending Ukraine lethal aid, they were sending them non-lethal aid, so Trump's point about "Europe doesn't help you so much" can be explained away.

That's their "this isn't impeachable, see?" position that they're holding up for GOP congressmen to hide behind. It's thin, but it's there. Now we get to see who gets in front of a mic next week and blows it up.

Pretty much - the problem is that, even with this evolution, it's still predicated upon dismissing Mulvaney as a liar, or, in the case of the clip, pretending that he never said anything. I'm slightly impressed that they at least have something relatively coherent, but it may have taken them too long to reach this point.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Jealous Cow posted:

It’s almost like they wanted to share data with other entities but still maintain plausible deniability :thunk:

Nah, this is pretty obviously a Hanlon's razor situation, imo

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Paracaidas posted:

the more essential the infrastructure, the further those in power will go to maintain/regain it.

That's exactly the point

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jealous Cow posted:

I’m a tech consultant and have seen the backends of dozens of very large companies storing very sensitive data. This is much more common than you’d think

Kale
May 14, 2010

Now that the cats out of the bag they'll surely have to switch it 0000

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

Just wanted to say that this was a good read. Almost made me feel something like...hope?

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Didn't even replace the i with a 1, very sloppy.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Have there been psychological studies on why supposedly intelligent and otherwise competent people are so embarrassingly awful at IT security? Because this is a thing at every level of society.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Paracaidas posted:

We've actually got a somewhat relevant look at what happens when a major global shipping/distribution/supply chain eats poo poo, thanks to NotPetya...

https://www.wired.com/story/notpetya-cyberattack-ukraine-russia-code-crashed-the-world/

The tl;dr is that it has significant costs but has not been enough to force the global corporate elite to meaningfully address the more complex core issues, and that normally unthinkable expenses are easily made once damages rise high enough.

The idea of a strike or slowdown disrupting critical infrastructure has long been attractive to those feeling shut out of power by the elites (freep thread regulars will recall the masturbatory fantasies and planning for a trucker convoy shutting down DC under Obama), but the flaw remains the same: the more essential the infrastructure, the further those in power will go to maintain/regain it.

A nationwide street blockade would be measured in hours, not weeks. General strikes will see wellcompensated scabs within a week-very few jobs are actually that essential. Aviation personnel are mostly excluded because of airline/political fears of the lasting impact of a high profile catastrophe... we've seen that there are no similar concerns about traffic fatalities.

The system is resilient. It can be fought, changed, adapted, and even fixed... but the idea that what's preventing these victories is a lack of will or desire is the same tedious :jerkbag: whether applied to congressional politics, local governance, or nationwide collective action. It's the flipside of the same coin as Sorkin's pablum, that the system(and/or media) will save us all, if only the levers of power were manned by intelligent and moral people.

Well then I guess since it's foolhardy to directly confront the system our only real choice is to cheer from the safety of the Free Speech zones and vote as hard as we can for leftists.

Everything you just wrote has been the standard line for people protecting their privilege since time immemorial- "the system is too strong you can't fight it", "the power of the body politic is a fantasy", "the only way we can win is if we color inside the lines and never inconvenience the rich/comfortable" etc. Martin Luther King Jr. got his start as a labor organizer who organized the exact kind of intentionally disruptive strikes I am talking about here. And your entire list of talking points is the exact nonsense that the comfortable white moderates he called a "greater obstacle to the cause of liberty" than open racists. You're making the same old tired/nonsense arguments that comfortable moderates always make whenever social disruption becomes necessary.

This song from half a century ago was literally made to mock the exact worldview and arguments you are presenting here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cdqQ2BdgOA

And for good measure:

Letter from a Birmingham jail posted:

While confined here in the Birmingham city jail, I came across your recent statement calling my present activities "unwise and untimely." Seldom do I pause to answer criticism of my work and ideas. If I sought to answer all the criticisms that cross my desk, my secretaries would have little time for anything other than such correspondence in the course of the day, and I would have no time for constructive work.

You deplore the demonstrations taking place in Birmingham. But your statement, I am sorry to say, fails to express a similar concern for the conditions that brought about the demonstrations. I am sure that none of you would want to rest content with the superficial kind of social analysis that deals merely with effects and does not grapple with underlying causes. It is unfortunate that demonstrations are taking place in Birmingham, but it is even more unfortunate that the city's white power structure left the Negro community with no alternative.

You may well ask: "Why direct action? Why sit ins, marches and so forth? Isn't negotiation a better path?" You are quite right in calling for negotiation. Indeed, this is the very purpose of direct action. Nonviolent direct action seeks to create such a crisis and foster such a tension that a community which has constantly refused to negotiate is forced to confront the issue. It seeks so to dramatize the issue that it can no longer be ignored. My citing the creation of tension as part of the work of the nonviolent resister may sound rather shocking. But I must confess that I am not afraid of the word "tension." I have earnestly opposed violent tension, but there is a type of constructive, nonviolent tension which is necessary for growth. Just as Socrates felt that it was necessary to create a tension in the mind so that individuals could rise from the bondage of myths and half truths to the unfettered realm of creative analysis and objective appraisal, so must we see the need for nonviolent gadflies to create the kind of tension in society that will help men rise from the dark depths of prejudice and racism to the majestic heights of understanding and brotherhood. The purpose of our direct action program is to create a situation so crisis packed that it will inevitably open the door to negotiation. I therefore concur with you in your call for negotiation. Too long has our beloved Southland been bogged down in a tragic effort to live in monologue rather than dialogue.

One of the basic points in your statement is that the action that I and my associates have taken in Birmingham is untimely. Some have asked: "Why didn't you give the new city administration time to act?" The only answer that I can give to this query is that the new Birmingham administration must be prodded about as much as the outgoing one, before it will act. We are sadly mistaken if we feel that the election of Albert Boutwell as mayor will bring the millennium to Birmingham. While Mr. Boutwell is a much more gentle person than Mr. Connor, they are both segregationists, dedicated to maintenance of the status quo. I have hope that Mr. Boutwell will be reasonable enough to see the futility of massive resistance to desegregation. But he will not see this without pressure from devotees of civil rights. My friends, I must say to you that we have not made a single gain in civil rights without determined legal and nonviolent pressure. Lamentably, it is an historical fact that privileged groups seldom give up their privileges voluntarily. Individuals may see the moral light and voluntarily give up their unjust posture; but, as Reinhold Niebuhr has reminded us, groups tend to be more immoral than individuals.

We know through painful experience that freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed. Frankly, I have yet to engage in a direct action campaign that was "well timed" in the view of those who have not suffered unduly from the disease of segregation. For years now I have heard the word "Wait!" It rings in the ear of every Negro with piercing familiarity. This "Wait" has almost always meant "Never." We must come to see, with one of our distinguished jurists, that "justice too long delayed is justice denied."

I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that law and order exist for the purpose of establishing justice and that when they fail in this purpose they become the dangerously structured dams that block the flow of social progress. I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that the present tension in the South is a necessary phase of the transition from an obnoxious negative peace, in which the Negro passively accepted his unjust plight, to a substantive and positive peace, in which all men will respect the dignity and worth of human personality. Actually, we who engage in nonviolent direct action are not the creators of tension. We merely bring to the surface the hidden tension that is already alive. We bring it out in the open, where it can be seen and dealt with. Like a boil that can never be cured so long as it is covered up but must be opened with all its ugliness to the natural medicines of air and light, injustice must be exposed, with all the tension its exposure creates, to the light of human conscience and the air of national opinion before it can be cured.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 20, 2019

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Have there been psychological studies on why supposedly intelligent and otherwise competent people are so embarrassingly awful at IT security? Because this is a thing at every level of society.

Arrogance. That's all it is. It's arrogance, plain and simple. People who think they're so goddamn unique that they don't need to take basic IT precautions because durrrr it'll never happen to me, I'm too special!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/325999319515791360

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I’m trying to imagine the speech Trump would have given in Obama’s place at that memorial service at that Boston church in the aftermath of the bombings...

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Jealous Cow posted:

FYI the code that operates the majority of voting machines in this country was freely available for years on a public-facing website until an activist happened to find it. No password necessary you just had to know where the webpage was and you could download the entire source code for all Diebold voting machines.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The universal answer: Because it works the way it is, changing everything to do things the right way is a difficult and expensive pain in the rear end, and it hasn't caused a problem yet.

The specific-to-corporate-America answer: all of the above, plus, if something does go wrong, you don't want your fingerprints anywhere near it.

For something like this, I would bet quite a bit of money that the "admin/admin" setup was a temporary testing thing some junior IT operator set up in five minutes. Then people started using it for real, and "change the password" ended up at the bottom of a to-do list because it wasn't visible to the executives who were demanding all kinds of other things get done right now. By the time anybody had a chance to look at it, disseminating the change out to everybody and testing the systems would have been a major change coordination project that nobody wants to do. I've never worked at Equifax and know nothing about their systems past that article, but it's a tale as old as time.

It's not just IT, either. Massive amounts of critical infrastructure everywhere are held together by half-assed systems that work just well enough people don't want to replace them, which end up ossified in place because they'd be a tremendous pain in the rear end to change. A streamlined exterior over a rotten interior still sells, after all.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

People on the job just want to get to work, and as cyber security has become more prevalent in software and OSes, they are getting asked for their password more and more often. I’m not surprised most places go with a simple, easy password (though cmon, anything’s better than “admin”). I’m not sure what the best solution is other than OSes allowing password managers to be more powerful or for everyone to convert to the Correct Horse Battery Staple system. But we’re never going to improve things as long as we keep having this attitude of “of course you were hacked, your password is terrible! You should’ve chosen this long complicated one you’ll need to ask the IT guy for 59 times a day because the OS is incapable of remembering the password”.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

Was this in reference to something, or just random Twitter diarrhea?

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m a network guy who cares a lot about security because I deal with PHI and I don’t want to go to jail if I make a bad decision. I spend a significant amount of my work week telling other people why the things they want to do are bad ideas from a security standpoint.

At least in my experience it’s typically a combination of laziness and ignorance. We IT people aren’t necessarily more intelligent or competent than the average person.

The fact that admin/admin was used is astoundingly stupid. Setting strong credentials is literally the second thing on my checklist when I deploy something. And the fact that it wasn’t caught by a security audit could suggest that either security audits don’t happen, or are inadequate.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Magugu posted:

Was this in reference to something, or just random Twitter diarrhea?

Boston Marathon Bombing

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Boston Marathon Bombing

Honestly assumed he meant the kurds here

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Security is often levied as an additional requirement by a separate office after development is complete, forcing teams to accommodate it with bandaid fixes in a “check the box” mentality. Implementing it is never going to result in a better user experience and can often force developers to rework a bunch of stuff because the version of Redhat they developed around doesn’t get the right patches anymore or something. The relationship between developers, users, and security is totally adversarial.

It only works well when software is designed with security in mind from the very beginning, which isn’t ever going to happen when using legacy junk.

ime at least

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 20, 2019

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/anniekarni/status/1185970487253458944?s=21

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Edit: Nah, that's gonna get me doxxed and fired.

IT security is lol because it costs money and clients hate it.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
Who exactly are the dumb bastards he's internet yelling at?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

I'm not sure if Secretary Pompeo clearly being in a cold sweat over the issue equates to him being ice cold.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mulvaney had to have been personally directly to do what he did by Trump himself because the dumbass thought it would make him look good. And now that it’s backfired everyone’s running away.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Fallom posted:

The relationship between developers, users, and security is totally adversarial.

It only works well when software is designed with security in mind from the very beginning, which isn’t ever going to happen when using legacy junk.

I think the key thing that people tend to miss is that security is designed without respect to culture at all. In a vacuum, a long complicated password that is different for every service and every person is more secure, but when applied to human behavior, that requirement undermines itself because people don't actually work that way. It's sort of where the STEMlord caricature comes from -- someone who is undeniably clever, but functionally only makes things worse because their projections don't take into account the lived experience of people who aren't them. Most forms of bureaucracy suffer from the exact some problem, though they compound it by adding in bias towards corporate and profits over all.

Of course, it usually plays out with the people who use it hating the people who made it and visa versa, so it's a problem that never gets solved.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Password policies simply don't make sense. The idea that I can remember a bunch of unique passwords that may have to change every 90 days is complete nonsense. It's not possible to comply with password systems as designed. To function, it's simply necessary to evade steps: mostly, password reuse, and for that dumb 90 day poo poo, incrementing passwords.

That said, running a massively important DB with admin/admin isn't a failing of individual users, that's an IT department fuckup.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Phobic Nest posted:

OBAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

(it's from 2013, op)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Passwords on sticky notes near the workstation are actually one of the most realistic aspects of adventure games

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

I have nothing to contribute but I really wanna dog tax because we had a breakthrough in Wheelin' yesterday.

video keeps getting clipped, ah well.

Ghetto SuperCzar fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 20, 2019

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Phobic Nest posted:

Gen. Ripper posted:

OBAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

(it's from 2013, op)

Oh. Should've realized.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I have nothing to contribute but I really wanna dog tax because we had a breakthrough in Wheelin' yesterday.

video keeps getting clipped, ah well.

I sent you a PM.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Fallom posted:

Passwords on sticky notes near the workstation are actually one of the most realistic aspects of adventure games

Totally. I used to work in IT for my local council, and there was one old lady who had password problems every now and again.
And was usually when she lost the piece of paper or sticky note it was written on.
Another place, had one computer and about 5 workers. The password was stuck under the monitor for any of them to use. Thankfully we had that one really restricted access to the network.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

a_pineapple posted:

We IT people aren’t necessarily more intelligent or competent than the average person.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
A nationalized identity system that can be easily plugged into. It's the only way we are even going to think about climbing out of the personal data hell world we have created. Passwords be damned, we've mostly already accepted finger print ID, and since we grow it should be a key that can be updated regularly.

There is always going to be a way to hide your identity. But for those things where I need to be myself I need to know it's secure(encrypted, which means updated, all encryption can be busted in time) , monitored(by the NSA, those assholes who already have all our data, they should be working for us.) and can have a real enforceable public policy associated with it( legislation, rather than EULAS). I as US Joe citizen need my identity secured as a matter of business, national security, and safety.

Till we solve this there will be no functional Medicare for all, privacy ceases to exist, the obscenely rich will continue to hide their wealth, speech will be manipulated by dark shadow cabals of oligarchs, and weapons will flow unchecked.

I know everyone will say it can't be done, but it really must if we hope to fix this hellworld.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Prester Jane posted:

Well then I guess since it's foolhardy to directly confront the system our only real choice is to cheer from the safety of the Free Speech sounds and vote as hard as we can for leftists.
Someone upthread had a solid explanation for how transparently weak and childish presenting a false choice is in these discussions:

Prester Jane posted:

This is the fundamental logical mistake that all centrists and anyone who does the whole "choose the lesser of two evils" shtick. It's a false choice that contrasts the preferred option with oblivion; and then further expects to be applauded for the adultness of this thinking instead of having its selfish childishness mocked.
She was also spot on about the bankruptcy of demanding detailed solutions from those who find flaws in the plans of others and how that is used to stymie discussion:

Prester Jane posted:

This is a rather irritating intellectual copout that centrists frequently utilize; demand their interlocutor provide them with a detailed/itemized list of exactly how to fix every single problem and the timeline to implement those solutions before they are allowed to argue that being an enabler for evil is bad and you should stop doing it.

I appreciate your repeated efforts to ensure that everyone is familiar with the Letter from Birmingham Jail. Certainly better than most civics classes do. I hope, though, most will engage with the text (and context) to gain their own understanding that can be compared with your interpretation.

The main thrust, from what I can tell, of your calls for collective action has been that the flow of this dynamic goes injustice->direct action->justice. This has been, in (some) historical cases, accurate. Those pointing out that the end you imagine is neither guaranteed nor inevitable are not neccesarily comfortable centrists trying to avoid inconveniencing the puppeteering elite.

Some people weigh the likelihood of carnage and death from your proposals (especially under the lens of your worldview, with catastrophic violence from the death cult imminent or already occuring) against the likelihood and impact of success and find that they pale in effectiveness to other means (including other forms of direct action!) but at much greater cost. There may be merit to understanding and engaging with the critique rather than treating it all as if it comes from Skex but :shrug:

e: threaded tweets long, separate topics, making doublepost

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

There will be no Medicare 4 all. There will be no revolution. Not until we consolidate the data centers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://mobile.twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1185959830910976000
https://mobile.twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1185963136299360257
https://mobile.twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1185963913969430529

Pearce has been fantastic lately (especially since his own laborawakening). It's been interesting watching the progress of AB5 and I expect that the results we see will have a large impact outside the media world. Either as a model for bringing an equitable resolution to the toxic gig economy or as a cautionary tale of unintended consequences that must be addressed by the next bill brought with good intentions. Ideally the former.