Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Trying to figure out how to get the following thoughts:

Arno Van Eyck, Boiadeiro, Cleaning out the Rooms, Finger on the Eject button, Hardcore Aesthetic, Magnesium-Based Lifeform, Overproductive Honour Glands, The Bow Collector, The Jamrock Shuffle, Torque Dork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Arno Van Eyck, Boiadeiro, Cleaning out the Rooms, Finger on the Eject button, Hardcore Aesthetic, Magnesium-Based Lifeform, Overproductive Honour Glands, The Bow Collector, The Jamrock Shuffle, Torque Dork.

i got arno somewhere in the church storyline, i think when i grabbed the tape from the tree and talked to egghead about it, boiadeiro is from the union guy on the stairs im fairly sure, hardcore is also tfrom the church i think

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Xander77 posted:

I'm pretty certain I got cleaning out the rooms from the church, either by studying the glass window or completing the tasks from the programmer

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

"Boiadeiro" is definitely from Call Me Maņana.

Also, this is probably the only game ever that I have ever seen a representation of the South American gaucho. Guy knows his Borges, alright.

(the writing has a little bit of problems between Portuguese and Spanish references but from people in Estonia I give flying colors for this poo poo, outstanding effort)

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

game is kinda wearing thin on the %-based skill checks. love to fail on an 83% check definitely makes me feel like my decisions matter at all

and then i dodge sudden death on a 17% chance like what the gently caress even is this

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Freaking Crumbum posted:

game is kinda wearing thin on the %-based skill checks. love to fail on an 83% check definitely makes me feel like my decisions matter at all

and then i dodge sudden death on a 17% chance like what the gently caress even is this

Because neither 83% nor 17% are 100% or 0%. Bad luck on the 83% fail, good luck on the 17% success. People are bad at probabilities. Also failing can sometimes lead to pretty interesting poo poo in this game and you don't have to 'win' every skill check.

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Bow-Collector: Same place you get White Mourning - read the letter in the clipboard and pass out. Make sure to pick the dialogue option that mentions the bow collector when you're talking to the Ancient Reptilian Brain.
Magnesium-Based Lifeform: Look at the magnesium supplement in Cuno's shack, then talk to Cuno about it. You will get an orb about this thought after the conversation (don't know if there are skill requirements to get it).

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

cool new Metroid game posted:

Because neither 83% nor 17% are 100% or 0%. Bad luck on the 83% fail, good luck on the 17% success. People are bad at probabilities. Also failing can sometimes lead to pretty interesting poo poo in this game and you don't have to 'win' every skill check.

nah, i thought that at first, but failing white checks just seems to do "quirky failure comment but you can come back & retry later" and failing red checks is just "lol u hosed up"

so with white checks there's almost no reason to make them fail-able (because even without save scumming you will eventually brute force them) and failing red checks just permanently locks you out of things. both cases are pretty lame and i feel like they oversold "you can fail forward!" because what it becomes in practice is "failing doesn't matter, except every once-in-a-while when it completely stonewalls you"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Freaking Crumbum posted:

nah, i thought that at first, but failing white checks just seems to do "quirky failure comment but you can come back & retry later" and failing red checks is just "lol u hosed up"

you're wrong. there are some paths and Thoughts that can only be unlocked by failing red checks

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
How does time work in this game? I know it advances in conversations, but does it actually matter besides people's schedules (i.e. talk to your cop buddy after 21:00)? Can I fail the main questline by taking too long? Are there timed quests?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Oops I accidentally caused some domestic violence. My bad.

Xander77 posted:

Arno Van Eyck - Solve Egghead's puzzle and help him find a melody for his phat beats, and you can talk to him semi-normally. The thought comes from that. Fair warning, the thought seems to be completely useless: Unlock all white MOT checks, and reveal "Arno Van Eyck gig posters in the world (you see yellow bubbles which have a line of text about the poster) Since "unlock all checks" is a one-time only thing (if you didn't have any locked, or if you lock one after this point it does nothing) I very quickly spent a skill point to unlearn it.

Magnesium-based Lifeform: enter the shack hidden behind Whirling-in-Gigs. Look at the used tube of magnesium. Talk to Cumo and say "I found your shack". Mention the magnesium tube and agree that you totally love that Magnesium.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Xander77 posted:

Finger on the Eject button

I got this one by talking about suicide. Not sure if it has to be a specific person, or if you need to hit a certain treshold of suicidal thoughts. I think I got it after talking to someone in the fishing village.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'm pretty sure on this much: Magnesium-Based Lifeform requires a baseline of Composure.
I equipped a new piece of clothing for an extra bonus for a check I was making and got the orb instantly. This was days after I'd talked to Cuno, I was in the fishing village.

I would not be surprised if more Thoughts need some level of Skill to trigger.
(On the flip-side, Boiadeiro seemed to get shut down by Encyclopedia for me, because I got a brief conversation where I wondered if I could be a Boiadeiro and Encylopedia was No and I'm like Unless... and Encylcopedia was still No., and I don't know if that means I was too HIGH in the skill or not.)

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
Church quest question: How do I learn about the Pale to remove the -10 modifier to making a theory on the origin of the noise? I already spoke with Joyce about it but now she's gone so if there's any dialogue i was missing I'm screwed

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

The Horrific Necktie was the real hero of this story demanding that I buy the mysterious bottle of blue alcohol from the hobo, telling me it would come in handy later, then many hours later telling me that it was time and to stuff it into the bottle and be ready. And then the tribunal happened and my now anthropomorphic petrol bomb really came in handy. And as I threw it me and the Horrific Necktie had a beautiful conversation, a moment frozen in time. We re-lived past memories, had a real connection. Then time flowed again and the horrific necktie in his bottle of blue medicinal alcohol burst upon the mercenary setting him ablaze. I loved that Horrific Necktie.

Yeah for me this came up on the day after the event where the item would be useful. I was really sad about it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Not the Messiah posted:

Church quest question: How do I learn about the Pale to remove the -10 modifier to making a theory on the origin of the noise? I already spoke with Joyce about it but now she's gone so if there's any dialogue i was missing I'm screwed

She doesn't leave, but she moves to the dock at the fishing village when you open the waterway.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

People are bad at probabilities, and that includes game developers. Probability in game design has to be done carefully. It works best for things like damage values with slight variance where the exact amount doesn't matter so much but varies over time.

Things like key quest progress and item drops you need serious RNG mitigation.

I think the idea with Disco was that if you failed a roll, you'd find another way to solve the problem. But based on your stats and what thing you're working on, there's not always another way. Sometimes the answer is try again later...

And yeah, sometimes failing is itself a good thing. And that's the part of Disco that reminds me of D&D or tabletop, that failing a die roll isn't death necessarily, that sometimes it just means something funny happens.

But... other times it does mean death. Or that you have to level up before you can finish a quest. Which feels bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fat Samurai posted:

How does time work in this game? I know it advances in conversations, but does it actually matter besides people's schedules (i.e. talk to your cop buddy after 21:00)? Can I fail the main questline by taking too long? Are there timed quests?

There are timed quests but someone said earlier that the main quest seems to wait forever for you, so you just maybe miss out on some side stuff

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

MorphineMike posted:

I'm hitting a very similar issue - I can speak to Titus about it but not Klaasje

I found out the issue, if you listen to the tape without Kim it won't count.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I liked the part where I stupidly sat in the folding chair and then saved my own life by sliding to the floor in a puddle of shame.

Now that I've played for a while I feel like this couldn't be set in a non-fictional location. You can't ask, "I know what it is, but say hypothetically I don't, what is *in Chicago*" because the player would actually know something about Chicago.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 20, 2019

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i sat in the chair but my powerful rear end defeated it

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I am definitely going for a physical-centered char for my second run, that's for sure

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I've been hearing tales of some reviewers getting very snippy about this game, is there a good link to the best of the galaxy brain takes?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

how does this hat not give a minus to Authority

just look at it

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Samovar posted:

I've been hearing tales of some reviewers getting very snippy about this game, is there a good link to the best of the galaxy brain takes?

Austin Walker of Waypoint has some mind boggling critique on it, if that's your thing.
GiantBomb has a negative take on the game as well, but they encountered the "Cock carousel"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

What, exactly, gives you honor points?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

frajaq posted:

how does this hat not give a minus to Authority

just look at it

the frog must be obeyed :frogout:

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Any idea where I can wash a certain dirty jacket?

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
Anyone ran into a bug where the game is randomly removing area exits from the highlights? I'm either prevented from going back in a place, or I can't exit where I am. Reloading/restarting doesn't help.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
:smith: The death notification scene broke me. Just the sheer mundanity of it. A stupid dumb accident. The way the writing doesn't try to make anything big about it is what makes it so powerful. Even the experience for completing the task is only 10 XP, because this doesn't feel rewarding and it's not supposed to feel rewarding.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Broken Cog posted:

She doesn't leave, but she moves to the dock at the fishing village when you open the waterway.

Nope, she's gone from there too. Mentioned the impending union shenanigans and she peaced out

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

smiling giraffe posted:

Anyone ran into a bug where the game is randomly removing area exits from the highlights? I'm either prevented from going back in a place, or I can't exit where I am. Reloading/restarting doesn't help.

which place?

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Xander77 posted:

What, exactly, gives you honor points?

Choosing dialogue options that say you refuse payment for honor or other similar D&D Lawful Good type poo poo. Haven't seen them come up often though.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i sat in the chair but my powerful rear end defeated it

I did not even sit in the chair, 'cause my sky-high Composure allows me to only talk to people on *my* terms.

ShelticRule
Oct 3, 2019

smiling giraffe posted:

I've had this happen a couple times when there was an alternate route.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Can someone direct me towards a method for cheating to get max stats?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Shiver is becoming one of my fav skills just for the sheer ammount of flavour text you get from it. I'm glad not every physical skill is about your dick or measuring your dick with others

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ephex posted:

the lady in the fishing village that you can ask out

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Son of Rodney posted:

Can someone direct me towards a method for cheating to get max stats?

Just use cheatengine. It's Unity, so everything should be stored as 4 bytes.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 20, 2019

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Did I run over a dog?

ephex posted:

The washerwoman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015

pokie posted:

which place?

It started happening in the church after interacting with the broken glass painting of the woman.

I've found this post (https://steamcommunity.com/app/632470/discussions/0/1609400247632472904/) that sounds like the same thing and mentions the church, so be careful around there and make some backup saves because once it starts happening on a save there doesn't seem to be anyway of fixing it.