Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

ilkhan posted:

Iirc there are a couple options for aio GPU coolers, but don't bother with those. Put the money out for a decent custom loop and you'll get to enjoy it as long as you can keep buying desktop parts. It's super easy to just swap a block to add a cpu or update for a new GPU/CPU. And not that expensive either once the loop is operating.

I thought about that, but my current CPU cooler is extremely adequate. When I had my 8086K at 5ghz, running prime95 only pushed it to like mid-70s and wasn't too loud at all. During gaming it never breaks 60 and is dead silent. The G12/H55 combo is exactly what I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had a 5500 when they launched and it kind of had the power socket just for looks. It was like about 30 watts which took up most of the AGP bus, but not all of it. There was 48.25 watts available but they were divided in wired way beyond just they power socket.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

FuturePastNow posted:

It's willfully stupid, someone combining the worst CPU

I'm not sure which P4 was the worst CPU, I had two models of P4 and it wasn't that bad; but I do remember both P3 and P4 had awful launch models.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vasler posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my 970 and I'm not really sure what to get. I'd like an Nvidia card but their recent naming conventions confuse the heck out of me.

I think I paid between $400-500 for this 970 when I got it many years ago (I'm in Canada). Is there anything in that price point that will give me a reasonable upgrade?

I primarily game in 1080p.

At just over 400 you're looking at a GeForce 1660Ti, which is a great upgrade (~40% improvement overall). Towards 500 you're getting a Geforce 2060, which is a 50% improvement and comes with the newfangled raytracing support, if you care about that for Control or other cutting-edge games (or just the Quake 2 eyecandy port!)

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Craptacular! posted:

I'm not sure which P4 was the worst CPU, I had two models of P4 and it wasn't that bad; but I do remember both P3 and P4 had awful launch models.

I think the launch models of the PIII was a continuation of the PII and the launch model of the P4 was just a slowed down P4 and it took them a generation to get back to full speed. That allowed AMD to get a foothold for a few years.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

ilkhan posted:

Iirc there are a couple options for aio GPU coolers, but don't bother with those. Put the money out for a decent custom loop and you'll get to enjoy it as long as you can keep buying desktop parts. It's super easy to just swap a block to add a cpu or update for a new GPU/CPU. And not that expensive either once the loop is operating.

I'd have to disagree with this and I have a custom loop. The AIO is going to be easier to deal with than a decent custom loop and would definitely be cheaper: a full cover water block is usually at least $100 USD if not $150 while the AIO plus bracket could be half that and then you need the pump, radiator, and fittings (and CPU block if one is inclined). Custom loops are best left to people like us with money and time to burn. For reference my custom loop with soft tubing, 1 GPU, 1 CPU, 1 radiator, 1 pump+res combo and fans was almost $700 to get up and running.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

Every version of the P4/Netburst had serious flaws. Without making a long CPU post in the GPU thread, I'd just say in my opinion the first version (that used awful RDRAM) and the last version (that tried to glue two P4s together into a terrible dual core) were the worst.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Arivia posted:

At just over 400 you're looking at a GeForce 1660Ti, which is a great upgrade (~40% improvement overall). Towards 500 you're getting a Geforce 2060, which is a 50% improvement and comes with the newfangled raytracing support, if you care about that for Control or other cutting-edge games (or just the Quake 2 eyecandy port!)

Thanks! Looking at the 2060 it does seem like a huge improvement over my current card. I'll wait to see what kind of sale there is for these cards around Black Friday. Hopefully by then, the free game will be something other than Call of Duty.

Edit: There are a million different 2060s!! Which one is the best combination of performance:price? Why are there so many variants...

Vasler fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 19, 2019

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Vasler posted:

Thanks! Looking at the 2060 it does seem like a huge improvement over my current card. I'll wait to see what kind of sale there is for these cards around Black Friday. Hopefully by then, the free game will be something other than Call of Duty.

Edit: There are a million different 2060s!! Which one is the best combination of performance:price? Why are there so many variants...
The price differences are mostly in improvements in the cooler and then slightly improved thermal headroom that might give you a little more gas.

The 5700/XT compete well with the 2060S but with black friday it's probably going to come down to the best deal you find and can actually buy.

I believe the current nvidia deal on COD ends on nov the 18th so they'll probably give away something else for black friday.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

The price differences are mostly in improvements in the cooler and then slightly improved thermal headroom that might give you a little more gas.

The 5700/XT compete well with the 2060S but with black friday it's probably going to come down to the best deal you find and can actually buy.

I believe the current nvidia deal on COD ends on nov the 18th so they'll probably give away something else for black friday.

Thanks for this information, I appreciate it. Are you recommending I purchase an on-sale 2060 then? I wasn't sure.

Part of the reason I'm avoiding Radeon is because of the terrible experiences I had with ATI cards years ago. I suspect this is no longer the case but man, it was such a pain.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The 2060 Super's a weird card. It's $400-420, and a slightly cut down version of the original RTX 2070's chip, the TU106. The original 2070s still go for ~$440-460, and feature a non-cut-down version of the TU106.

If you buy a 6GB graphics card, be prepared to have to turn down graphical settings sooner rather than later. A lot of AAA titles are already getting close to or hitting 6GB required for the highest detail textures. 8GB will give you a bit more wiggle room.

So, to recap:

1660Ti: Available now, costs ~$260-280, can only do low-end RTX :catdrugs:, and even then, it's not an ideal card since it wasn't ~designed~ for it.
1660 Super: Should be available next week, should cost ~$250, and is actually *faster* than the 1660Ti because nVidia wants to bully AMD. Expect 1660Ti prices to fall. Still 6GB of frame buffer.
2060: Available now, costs ~$320-340, only has 6GB of frame buffer, and doesn't really have the oomph for RTX :catdrugs: even though nothing out now fully utilizes it anyway.
2060 Super: Available now, costs ~$399-429, has 8GB of frame buffer, still won't do :catdrugs: all that well, but it's your first nVidia SKU with 8GB.
2070: Available now, costs ~$450, has 8GB of frame buffer, a full TU106 chip that isn't cut down, and probably is the first SKU that'll do :catdrugs: without it turning your game into a slide show.

The cheap option? Snag a 1660Ti or 1660 Super now, beat the poo poo out of it for a few years, and then buy a better GPU once this raytracing bullshit's been standardized through Vulkan and nVidia's been forced to eat a dick over RTX.
The "want the best performance *now*" option? Snag a 2060 Super and forget about RTX.

Lastly, not that you should even be considering it in TYOOL 2019, but SLI/NVLink functionality isn't added to these cards until the 2070 Super. Just mentioning it because there are still some people who think "oh, I'll just buy one card and SLI later and get more performance!" It's not worth it. Get a single card that's good enough or slightly more than good enough for what you want to do with it and be happier in the long run.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 20, 2019

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The guy is in Canada though, those prices look to be USD.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Lockback posted:

The guy is in Canada though, those prices look to be USD.

All the same, the twin fan ZOTAC 2060 Super is $539 CAD on Amazon.ca, which works out to ~$410 USD, so the pricing isn't *that* far off after conversion.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The 2060 Super's a weird card. It's $400-420, and a slightly cut down version of the original RTX 2070's chip, the TU106. The original 2070s still go for ~$440-460, and feature a non-cut-down version of the TU106.

If you buy a 6GB graphics card, be prepared to have to turn down graphical settings sooner rather than later. A lot of AAA titles are already getting close to or hitting 6GB required for the highest detail textures. 8GB will give you a bit more wiggle room.

So, to recap:

1660Ti: Available now, costs ~$260-280, can only do low-end RTX :catdrugs:, and even then, it's not an ideal card since it wasn't ~designed~ for it.
1660 Super: Should be available next week, should cost ~$250, and is actually *faster* than the 1660Ti because nVidia wants to bully AMD. Expect 1660Ti prices to fall. Still 6GB of frame buffer.
2060: Available now, costs ~$320-340, only has 6GB of frame buffer, and doesn't really have the oomph for RTX :catdrugs: even though nothing out now fully utilizes it anyway.
2060 Super: Available now, costs ~$399-429, has 8GB of frame buffer, still won't do :catdrugs: all that well, but it's your first nVidia SKU with 8GB.
2070: Available now, costs ~$450, has 8GB of frame buffer, a full TU106 chip that isn't cut down, and probably is the first SKU that'll do :catdrugs: without it turning your game into a slide show.

The cheap option? Snag a 1660Ti or 1660 Super now, beat the poo poo out of it for a few years, and then buy a better GPU once this raytracing bullshit's been standardized through Vulkan and nVidia's been forced to eat a dick over RTX.
The "want the best performance *now*" option? Snag a 2060 Super and forget about RTX.

Lastly, not that you should even be considering it in TYOOL 2019, but SLI/NVLink functionality isn't added to these cards until the 2070 Super. Just mentioning it because there are still some people who think "oh, I'll just buy one card and SLI later and get more performance!" It's not worth it. Get a single card that's good enough or slightly more than good enough for what you want to do with it and be happier in the long run.

Thanks for the breakdown, I really appreciate it! 2070 looks like the superior option though I'm not sure I want to spend 2070 prices. Perhaps Black Friday will bring some nice sales.

How much of a difference will there be in performance with the various options at 1080p? I was under the impression that a lot of the performance demand occurred when you increased resolutions to something like 1440p. It seems like I might not be understanding this correctly.

Looking at even the base 2060, it looks to be a sizeable upgrade from my 970.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The 2070 is a "legacy" product now that the Super cards are out, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that the "old" 2070s will go on closeout on BF/CM.

Not that it helps you up in Canuckistan, but Micro Center has the non-Super 2070 for $439 after rebate. It only bears mentioning because rebates - in addition to helping clear out stock - are another way makers test future price points through retailers, so the 2070 might get closer to 2060S pricing nearer to the holidays.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The 2070 is a "legacy" product now that the Super cards are out, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that the "old" 2070s will go on closeout on BF/CM.

Not that it helps you up in Canuckistan, but Micro Center has the non-Super 2070 for $439 after rebate. It only bears mentioning because rebates - in addition to helping clear out stock - are another way makers test future price points through retailers, so the 2070 might get closer to 2060S pricing nearer to the holidays.

The 2070 is old now? Does that mean a 2070 Super card will come out at some point? My god NVIDIA makes this complicated. I think I recall doing the same thing when I was buying the 970, but I don't think there were this many options that seemed the same with minor differences at the time.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vasler posted:

The 2070 is old now? Does that mean a 2070 Super card will come out at some point? My god NVIDIA makes this complicated. I think I recall doing the same thing when I was buying the 970, but I don't think there were this many options that seemed the same with minor differences at the time.

The 2070S has been around for months. I got mine from Nvidia when it came out in July.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Vasler posted:

The Supers (2060, 2070, 2080) came out in... August? I think

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
I ended up getting a 2060 Zotac Amp cause at the time it was the cheapest card ($10 less than EVGA and MSI offerings) but had one of the higher clocks at 1800mhz while the reference was `1650mhz and most other OC versions around 1700-1750mhz.

And it handles everything out right now perfectly fine at 1080p, with raytracing and full maxed settings. Though it does need stating that Metro Exodus seems to be the game where it's brought down to the 30-40fps avg low range. From what I remember since doing my research into GPUs a few months back the 2060 Supers will give upwards of 20fps but that was very game dependent and can't remember which ones.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Vasler posted:

It's not old, it's merely a "legacy" product in the sense that the Super cards are out now (save the 1660 Super, which will probably hit shelves next week) for all current nVidia cards save the 2080Ti.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Indiana_Krom posted:

I'd have to disagree with this and I have a custom loop. The AIO is going to be easier to deal with than a decent custom loop and would definitely be cheaper: a full cover water block is usually at least $100 USD if not $150 while the AIO plus bracket could be half that and then you need the pump, radiator, and fittings (and CPU block if one is inclined). Custom loops are best left to people like us with money and time to burn. For reference my custom loop with soft tubing, 1 GPU, 1 CPU, 1 radiator, 1 pump+res combo and fans was almost $700 to get up and running.
I wasn't saying it's cheap or easy to get a CPU+GPU loop going. Just that once it is going it's easy to upgrade and mess around with.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So, to recap:

So really, buying a GSync for this 1070 late last year and hugging it until 8GB of memory isn't enough was somehow a smart decision.

Still should have abused Best Buy for their 90 day return policy when they added Freesync monitors that cost the same price and don't lock me into a GPU line that is awful under Linux, but small problems.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
So after weeks of praying to NVIDIA in the direction of their Santa Clara office, while holding my holy chalice:

GSync over HDMI is now available.

In fact, it's been available for a few weeks but no one noticed, via an internal preview build available to "fast ring" Windows insiders.

You can find that set of drivers here: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windows-10-pro-insider-nvidia-driver-440-52.428574/#post-5711780

Some things to note:

1) In the case of officially certified panels like the LG OLEDs, they need a firmware update to register as "GSync compatible". Of course, in effect this is meaningless, just check the appropriate box in NV Control panel like any other uncertified panel.

You can currently download a firmware update for the C9 from LG Korea that contains the certification data, but since it's superficial it's worth waiting for the official EN firmware, which is the same update but simply hasn't made it to our region yet.

2) The next official Geforce driver SHOULD include this update as well, so if you don't care for now, you can wait instead of getting the preview build. That being said, there has been a driver update since these preview drivers have been released, so there's no guarantee that the next build will contain GSync over HDMI.

In general it is a good bet to expect the official firmware and the geforce drivers to drop next week at some point.

3) I recommend running DDU in safe mode to remove your current drivers, choose the "remove drivers without restarting" option, and then install the preview build right after you remove the previous drivers with DDU. Then restart. I can't vouch for other ways of installing the driver, as preview builds don't play well with the official driver track. So if you do it some other way, it may not install properly.

4) If you own a 2019 LG OLED, you can easily overclock your monitor with an extra 5hz to account for GSync headroom (total of 65hz). This implementation uses true HDMI 2.1 VRR, which is 40-120hz ranged.

5) intriguingly, there are reports of 4K/120hz options being available in this driver, but they currently do not work. Tantalizing though. It is expected that the newest LG OLED firmware also updates the set to true 4K/120 compatibility.

For now though, on HDMI 2.0 you are stuck at 4K/60 (so 40-60 range) or 1440p/120hz, which of course uses the full range.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Hoping that you can unlock the 1660 super or 1660ti gets updated with 14 Gbps RAM

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's not old, it's merely a "legacy" product in the sense that the Super cards are out now (save the 1660 Super, which will probably hit shelves next week) for all current nVidia cards save the 2080Ti.

Not old, and also it's still the highest performance per watt card in the stack (except for the 1660), so if you're looking for the crucial mix of 1080p RTX and also power efficiency, this is THE card for you :kingsley:

Seriously though the 2070 and the 2060S have almost the same performance. If you can get a deal on a 2070 don't feel like you have to skip it because it's "old," it is the current generation of tech as far as the new features go and from my experience it is alright for RTX stuff up to 1080p (though Control needs DLSS / internal rendering resolution of 720p to use the fullest RTX settings with it at 60FPS). 2070S is better, but it's also more expensive - you really only get sad with a 2070 if you got one at full price right before the 2070S launch, IMO, it's not that it is a bad or old card, just that it was recently superceded by a better performer in the same price spot and now the 2070 chip is mainly for 2060S cards. I paid $400 for mine and don't feel ripped off, but that's about what a 2060S costs and it gives about the same performance - nVidia was criticized prior to the Super refresh for not offering the right price:performance this generation and a $500-$600 2070 does seem overpriced.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Agreed posted:

Not old, and also it's still the highest performance per watt card in the stack (except for the 1660), so if you're looking for the crucial mix of 1080p RTX and also power efficiency, this is THE card for you :kingsley:

Seriously though the 2070 and the 2060S have almost the same performance. If you can get a deal on a 2070 don't feel like you have to skip it because it's "old," it is the current generation of tech as far as the new features go and from my experience it is alright for RTX stuff up to 1080p (though Control needs DLSS / internal rendering resolution of 720p to use the fullest RTX settings with it at 60FPS). 2070S is better, but it's also more expensive - you really only get sad with a 2070 if you got one at full price right before the 2070S launch, IMO, it's not that it is a bad or old card, just that it was recently superceded by a better performer in the same price spot and now the 2070 chip is mainly for 2060S cards. I paid $400 for mine and don't feel ripped off, but that's about what a 2060S costs and it gives about the same performance - nVidia was criticized prior to the Super refresh for not offering the right price:performance this generation and a $500-$600 2070 does seem overpriced.

Ehhhh, I feel like the RTX2060/Super/2070 isn't very appealing unless you really want rtx because a Navi card is going to be better value. 2070 super and up doesn't have any competition.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Arzachel posted:

Ehhhh, I feel like the RTX2060/Super/2070 isn't very appealing unless you really want rtx because a Navi card is going to be better value. 2070 super and up doesn't have any competition.

Gsync might be a reason here as well

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I have a feeling the second generation of RTX cards will be significantly better than the first. They're going to cut a lot of the unused AI nonsense out of the GPU and use that die space more effectively. Could be wrong. We'll see.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It's way more likely that nvidia will just go for the boring ~20-30% performance gen-on-gen while jacking prices up again route
The floodgates have opened ever since people were willing to pay 1000+ for mobile phones, 1000+ for TV screens, 1000+ for video cards.
They certainly won't pass any savings onto the customer from tidying up their chipsets, they don't have any historical precedent of that

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

FuturePastNow posted:

I have a feeling the second generation of RTX cards will be significantly better than the first. They're going to cut a lot of the unused AI nonsense out of the GPU and use that die space more effectively. Could be wrong. We'll see.

More interesting will be the price point.
I can’t see a huge die and complex architecture like that be 40% faster than the 2080Ti in autumn 2020 as a 3080Ti for example and cost anything less.

So prepare for 1300 Euro and Dollar again for the fastest NVidia High End consumer card.
I will prepare for the worst case 1449 Euro 3080Ti FE.

I don’t know enough to estimate what the 7nm production process might change here.

e:fb

Yeah what Zedsdeadbaby said.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 20, 2019

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I honestly thought when I bought my GTX 1080 that it was a terrible investment getting one of the higher tier ones only a couple months after launch when I already had a 980... But over three years later it is still going strong, I even had to upgrade the CPU and memory just to keep the 1080 going at full speed in newer games. At this point I'm just going to stick with it till the second generation RTX cards hit, unless someone sells a 2080 Ti for less than like $500 it isn't even worth the effort to tear down my custom loop to swap one in. By then the raw performance uplift of whatever the big Ampere part ends up being called should take some of the edge off the guaranteed insane price point it is going to have.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Indiana_Krom posted:

I honestly thought when I bought my GTX 1080 that it was a terrible investment getting one of the higher tier ones only a couple months after launch when I already had a 980... But over three years later it is still going strong, I even had to upgrade the CPU and memory just to keep the 1080 going at full speed in newer games. At this point I'm just going to stick with it till the second generation RTX cards hit, unless someone sells a 2080 Ti for less than like $500 it isn't even worth the effort to tear down my custom loop to swap one in. By then the raw performance uplift of whatever the big Ampere part ends up being called should take some of the edge off the guaranteed insane price point it is going to have.

I claim there is zero chance you will find a 2080Ti for 500 or less bucks in the next 2 years.
Until the end of 2021 we will only see one new NVidia generation of GPUs with an additional refresh like the Super iteration.
This won’t be enough to pull the second hand 2080Ti below 50% of their launch price, especially not the customs that sold for 1200-1400 Euro/Dollar.
The 2080Ti has enough power for 1440p ultra for years and with 11 GB VRAM I can’t see any hurdles. She still has a serious avg fps lead even compared to the 2080 Super.

And with RTX on at 1440p the 2080Ti delivers enough punch to skip the next gen unless you plan a transition to 4K or you are an enthusiast and fps junkie.

My point is: I doubt many 2080Ti will be changed the next gen because there only might 2 GPUs if not only one GPU (2180Ti or 3080 Ti) that passes the 2080Ti (like only the 2080Ti passed the 1080Ti) so that there will be few 2080 Tis meeting the second hand market and that sets a price floor.

The 5 year old 970 is still being sold second hand for 90-140 Euros here locally.

Like you said the 1070 and 1080 gen is still running fine in full hd and can even fuel 1440p with a mix of medium and high settings.
Most 10xx gen gamers will switch to the 21xx or 3xxx gen in autumn 2020.

That’s all my personal opinion and POV of course.
And it is still not clear if AMD will be able to attack NVidias top GPUs because they failed to do so since 2012

So yeah,stick with the 1080 and be patient another 10-12 months if you are not suffering heavy fps drops in your current games and Resolution.

eames
May 9, 2009

I’d like to point out that the PlayStation thread was speculating about a $399 launch price point for the PS5 last week and the PC GPU thread is expecting $1500 cards around the same date. :munch:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Peasants vs. Lords etc.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

eames posted:

I’d like to point out that the PlayStation thread was speculating about a $399 launch price point for the PS5 last week and the PC GPU thread is expecting $1500 cards around the same date. :munch:

Uh, yeah, but the PC practically pays for itself after you buy 200 games at launch prices. :smug:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I mean, in my case, cheaper games & no online fees certainly do lessen the financial impact a great deal even with pretty high-end components. But I'd primarily game on PC either way. My favorite games aren't on consoles, anyways.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

eames posted:

You can’t compare a closed gaming device architecture that is an at least 8 digit mass market production with losses (they earn their money by exclusives and games as a service etc) with the intention of a 5 year usecase..

... to a high end current gen GPU that wipes the floor techwise and featurewise with consoles tho.

I played Project Cars 2 on my PS4 pro and then on my 2080Ti with Ultra settings and reshade filters at 1440p with 100+ fps Gsync
It’s a night and day difference.

eames
May 9, 2009

Oh god I didn’t intend to turn this into PC vs. console, I’m just pretty sure that one of the two price tags strikes me as less realistic than the other (and no, I don’t expect NVIDIA to drop prices).

VRR on next consoles should make the experience a lot more enjoyable though.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Lambert posted:

I mean, in my case, cheaper games & no online fees certainly do lessen the financial impact a great deal even with pretty high-end components. But I'd primarily game on PC either way. My favorite games aren't on consoles, anyways.

Its okay friend, this is the GPU thread of the something awful forums. Plenty of us are spending thousands of dollars in 2019 to play 2016's greatest hits at pointlessly high settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

monsterzero posted:

Uh, yeah, but the PC practically pays for itself after you buy 200 games at launch prices. :smug: