Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Oceanbound posted:

That guy is actually not wrong. The Taiwanese government itself also has problems with using the name "Taiwan", since their official name is Republic of China, and still claims to be the real China, and the name wouldn't represent the areas that are under Taiwanese authority but aren't in Taiwan itself.

Well actually,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Oceanbound posted:

That guy is actually not wrong. The Taiwanese government itself also has problems with using the name "Taiwan", since their official name is Republic of China, and still claims to be the real China, and the name wouldn't represent the areas that are under Taiwanese authority but aren't in Taiwan itself.

GoutPatrol posted:

As the only person here who has hung out socially with several people who were on Chinese Taipei magic world cup teams, I assure you they don't like the name (Republic of China)

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
"the government agreed to do x, therefore x is correct and not something controversial" is a loving wild take lmao

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Free Hong Kong
1R
Instant
Destroy target Wizard

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I remember that World Champs where on day 1 it was Taiwan everywhere and then magically overnight everything got scrubbed to read Chinese Taipei instead. Guess someone got on the phone to someone high up enough at WOTC/Hasbro.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

little munchkin posted:

"the government agreed to do x, therefore x is correct and not something controversial" is a loving wild take lmao

Didn't say it's correct, it still sucks. The players are right to hate it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Perhaps not every Taiwanese citizen shares the exact same viewpoint with every other Taiwanese citizen, let alone with their own government :thunk:

If the international community had even one pair of balls to share among themselves, they'd be the RoC and that'd be it, but "actually it's lovely of someone to use the compromise that Taiwans own representative government agreed to" is a pretty wild take itself

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
We need to ship some Greater Gargodons over to Taiwan to give them second strike capability.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
This meta sucks (till tomorrow) but a small silver lining is that the UGx mirrors are at least interesting to watch

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Just Marie Kondo’ed a couple thousand bulk cards into my recycling bin that’d been gnawing at my subconscious from the back of my closet for a long time.

Feels good :coolfish:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

whydirt posted:

Just Marie Kondo’ed a couple thousand bulk cards into my recycling bin that’d been gnawing at my subconscious from the back of my closet for a long time.

Feels good :coolfish:

wait what? give them away to some kid at a shop hello?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hellsau posted:

wait what? give them away to some kid at a shop hello?

Kids don't even want commons/uncommon, they are literal garbage

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Yeah if it was useful to any relevant format I’d totally donate it, but no one needs Revised Shanodin Dryads or Power Sinks.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

While doing this cleaning, I got a painful reminder of how many laces I opened as my Unlimited and Revised rares. Magic has always had garbage rares and if anything they were worse and more frequent in the early days.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Kids don't even want commons/uncommon, they are literal garbage

I work at a Job Corps center and gave my bulk cards away to my students two weeks ago. They thought it was the greatest thing ever.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Yall apparently don't know any kids if you think they don't want random garbage. My daughter has a collection of like 60 cards and the closest thing to constructed playable is probably Japanese WAR Kiora.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I figure at some point I’ll just use the bulk to make card houses with the kids or something. Make a derpy cube for playing with my son or for his friends to mess around with. I wish I still had some of the bulk from my childhood, crappy though as I’m sure a lot of it is/was. Of course there was probably no way I was lugging around and storing that through my 20’s.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
*ring ring*

Hello this is Reid.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I've shipped bulk out to a teacher doing a Magic club at their school and to a boy scout leader doing the same for his group. I've also just dumped longboxes full of bulk into recycling. These are all better than keeping piles of garbage commons in the off chance that you "may need it some day". Just rebuy a playset if whatever it is if you do and save yourself from being a step away from being featured on an episode of Hoarders.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Osmosisch posted:

*ring ring*

Hello this is Reid.

there's like 30 people participating, could they really only find four willing to do the intermissions?

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Standard is apparently a turn 4 format, accoring to that last last game of monored cavalcade

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Well, That was awkward.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

gonna be sad when oko is still standard legal and there's no pauper bans tomorrow

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
why would you not sideboard out circuitous route against r/g aggro

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

little munchkin posted:

why would you not sideboard out circuitous route against r/g aggro

what's the Glass Casket for if not this matchup?

also sometimes you get there

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

what's the Glass Casket for if not this matchup?

casket is mediocre against gruul because everything it answers also gets answered by zombie tokens, but yea you still want them

I bring the house against gruul, 2 caskets, 2 sky tether, 3 aether gust, 2 oko. transform into a control deck with field as your win condition. trying to cast route is a death sentence.

he managed to win with route in game two but the opponent went turn 2 2/1 into turn 3 4/3. hard to lose that game no matter how loose your sideboarding is

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
also i feel like field decks would be right up your alley. the play patterns are super similar to pauper tron where you just get bigger and bigger every turn and any attempt by your opponent to interact or disrupt gets severely punished

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
so, field is safe from banning after only one copy made the top 8?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

80s James Hetfield posted:

so, field is safe from banning after only one copy made the top 8?

The entire tournament was gunning for Field decks and they were still 8/16 of the top 16. Energy died for less.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Field is dead because they were stupid enough to make a standard with an extremely high-power land and no decent way to interact with it

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Anyone see top8s or other data from various regionals yet?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ban fields, ban forests

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Oko will live on because this was obviously someone's pet card.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

little munchkin posted:

also i feel like field decks would be right up your alley. the play patterns are super similar to pauper tron where you just get bigger and bigger every turn and any attempt by your opponent to interact or disrupt gets severely punished

Oh I played Field in the "play any deck" event in Arena. The deck was super powerful even without a totally optimal build. I'm not wasting wildcards/tickets on a deck that 100% must be banned though.

Katana Gomai posted:

The entire tournament was gunning for Field decks and they were still 8/16 of the top 16. Energy died for less.

9 out of the top 16 actually - one in the top 8 and the entirety of 9th-16th.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Can't wait for all the decks oppressed by fields that neuter Oko to come out in style, like - Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I want to see the data on the "pros" who do worse on arena pro tours compared to the paper ones.

And LOL at Judge Academy. They are making you sign away class action rights when you sign up, which I believe is something they said they wouldn't do.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Cynic Jester posted:

Can't wait for all the decks oppressed by fields that neuter Oko to come out in style, like - Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory.

They probably have to kill Teferi for that, which.. maybe? It's not the drafted set anymore.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oko could be showing up in 100% of decks and they wouldnt ban it cause its currently selling packs

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

ShaneB posted:

Anyone see top8s or other data from various regionals yet?

Chicago Regionals was streamed on twitch (won by Tron) https://www.twitch.tv/videos/496742528

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Golos player punted an amazing game one away. Yikes.