Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

DasNeonLicht posted:

Really frustrating to watch the Spirit give up the lead twice, but another good crowd at Audi Field

:ssh: The Reign should've gotten a penalty kick :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

N. Carolina Courage beats Houston Dash on a bullet penalty kick by Samantha Mewis past Jane Campbell. I don't think that ball could have been kicked any harder, Campbell was fooled by inches.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

"I can't wait to watch the Reign/Royals game. Plenty of playoff implications, not to mention the history betw-"

https://twitter.com/ReignFC/status/1174466913990324224

"...dammit"

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Kerr and Nagasato are smoking right now

Chicago goalie breaking hearts

Slowly realizing how stacked these teams are. Didn't even know Lavelle was playing.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 22, 2019

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

FIFA had their annual awards show. Rapinoe got player of the year, Ellis coach of the year, and the Best XI:

GOALKEEPER
Sari van Veendaal (The Netherlands, Arsenal/currently Atletico)

DEFENDERS
Lucy Bronze (England, Olympique Lyonnais)
Nilla Fischer (Sweden, VfL Wolfsburg/currently Linkopings)
Kelly O’Hara (USA, Utah Royals)
Wendie Renard (France, Olympique Lyonnais)

MIDFIELDERS
Julie Ertz (USA, Chicago Red Stars)
Amandine Henry (France, Olympique Lyonnais)
Rose Lavelle (USA, Washington Spirit)

FORWARDS
Alex Morgan (USA, Orlando Pride)
Megan Rapinoe (USA, Reign FC)
Marta Vieria (Brazil, Orlando Pride)

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 23, 2019

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Should’ve been Dunn instead of O’Hara, if it had to be someone from the US squad.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

How are Marta and Morgan there, but not England's White? What is this, a Hall of Fame ballot? The Dutch had some good attackers also. And Dunn was better than O'Hara.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

How are Marta and Morgan there, but not England's White? What is this, a Hall of Fame ballot? The Dutch had some good attackers also. And Dunn was better than O'Hara.

If it's anything like previous years the jury votes based on name recognition cause they don't know poo poo about womens football.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

A lot of people were complaining about Rapinoe and Morgan's inclusions in the final three as they did nothing of note for their club teams.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Big Huski Boi posted:

A lot of people were complaining about Rapinoe and Morgan's inclusions in the final three as they did nothing of note for their club teams.

Ah, club. That makes it rather difficult. I thought it was just WC.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Pretty big day on the NWSL as the 3 teams fighting for the final playoff spot played today. #6 Washington Spirit weren't able to do anything with the opportunity, playing to a scoreless draw against Houston. The #5 Reign were able to beat the #4 Royals 2-1 in a nailbiter (winning goal scored at 86') to take control of the #4 seed with a 3 point cushion with two games left in the season. The Courage (clinched the shield), Thorns and Red Stars are the other playoff teams. The Reign host the Thorns on Sunday and could set the playoff field with a result and any dropped points by the Royals.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 26, 2019

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

England Ladies v Brazil Ladies this afternoon at the Riverside Stadium is a 34,000 sellout, a record for England Ladies and probably the only time Boro will ever legitimately sell out their stadium

(Take That doesn't count as people were on the pitch, too.)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Yesterday was Jill Ellis' last game as USWNT coach, so fire up your speculation on who steps in next. Presumably gonna be announced ASAP, since there are two November games left this year. Most everyone who I've seen weigh in seems to think it's between Laura Harvey (Utah Royals) or Vlatko Andonovski (Reign FC). I think Vlatko's probably the better coach of the two, but I also don't want the Reign to have to go coach-hunting themselves this offseason.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Norway thrashed the Faroe Islands 13-0 in euro qualifiers today :stare:

I watched the Italy - Bosnia highlights; Italy won 2-0 but it could’ve been more. Italy and Denmark are at 4/4 wins each, so whoever wins those matches will handily top the group.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
NWSL playoffs set -- NC v Reign and Chicago v Portland. Not looking forward to Reign getting steamrolled next weekend if they play like they did last night. :(

Also, Laura Harvey said in Utah's post-game presser that she's not leaving to be the USWNT coach, so if everyone's suspicions were correct that the job was between her and Vlatko Andonovski, I guess grats Vlatko/ugh Reign having to hunt a new coach this offseason.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Midge Purce is the Supporters Player of the year in Portland. She was instrumental to the Thorn's success during the world cup with 9 players in France and I am glad she was recognized for that

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Milan won the first women’s derby today 3-1. The bums on the men’s team could learn a lot from them.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

xeria posted:

Yesterday was Jill Ellis' last game as USWNT coach, so fire up your speculation on who steps in next. Presumably gonna be announced ASAP, since there are two November games left this year. Most everyone who I've seen weigh in seems to think it's between Laura Harvey (Utah Royals) or Vlatko Andonovski (Reign FC). I think Vlatko's probably the better coach of the two, but I also don't want the Reign to have to go coach-hunting themselves this offseason.

https://twitter.com/JoCurrie/status/1183750141657767936

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the villa are running riot over the Championship and Melissa Johnson has ten goals in five games.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
NWSL about to have a 10th team again: https://equalizersoccer.com/2019/10/17/2020-nwsl-expansion-sacramento-republic-advanced-discussions/

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Seems weird that the league hasn't had a California team...ever.

And hopefully being part of an MLS ownership group gives them crowds more like the Thorns and less like Sky Blue (granted, this has not helped Houston).

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 19, 2019

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

whypick1 posted:

Seems weird that the league hasn't had a California team...ever.

And hopefully being part of an MLS ownership group gives them crowds more like the Thorns and less like Sky Blue (granted, this has not helped Houston).

Also has not helped Orlando! Admittedly, other things that haven't helped Orlando: trading away multiple picks/good players just to get notably okay at best for her club teams Alex Morgan.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Sacramento is so far though :(

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Over in the Norwegian league, LSK Kvinner is most likely gonna secure their 6th Toppserien title in a row and 7th overall tomorrow when they play Kolbotn (7th place) and only need to walk away with a draw.

Happily for me though Vålerenga has been doing real well this season and they have a chance to grab 2nd place, up from 6th and 7th in the previous years. Unfortunately though they've lost one of their top scorers, Natasha Dowie (11 goals), and they're still in a transition phase it feels like. They've got a lot of short-term contracts with good players that don't return, like Theresa Nielsen two years back and then the Isabell Herlovsen scandal last year. But Sherida Spitse re-upped until 2021 just before the World Cup so I'm hoping for a signal effect of that since she turned down Manchester United for it*, and it looks like Ajara Nchout is loving her stay so she'll hopefully remain with the squad. Dejana Stefanovic and Maruschka Waldus have also been two important signings, hopefully they'll stay as well. There's some good talent brewing in their own ranks too, although they're maybe a year or two away from becoming mainstays in the squad.

*Due to family life, as she and her wife have a kid and they like Norway and she wouldn't be able to see them as much if she moved to Manchester, but hey.

Grimson fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 19, 2019

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
And a 2021 expansion team secured for the NWSL as well, formally announcing it on Tuesday I guess:

https://twitter.com/itsmeglinehan/status/1185682722330689536

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

NWSL playoffs start in a half hour on ESPN2, Reign FC @ North Carolina then Portland Thorns @ Chicago Red Stars (and for some reason the latter is scheduled for 2 hours after the former, all but guaranteeing the former goes to extra time).

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

After 66' it's scoreless because Casey Murphy has been standing on her head all game (NCC has 19 shots, 6 on target, compared to 5/3 for the Reign).

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

After 66' it's scoreless because Casey Murphy has been standing on her head all game (NCC has 19 shots, 6 on target, compared to 5/3 for the Reign).
I'm still trying to figure :wtf: Seattle started Steph Cox ahead of both Theresa Nielsen and Celia Jimenez, a pair of European internationals, at right back.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

whypick1 posted:

She's gotta get called up for some USWNT camps, right?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

xeria posted:

She's gotta get called up for some USWNT camps, right?

Hope so, as she's about to get aged out of the U23s and the regulars on the senior team haven't exactly set the world on fire (outside of Harris' A+ celebratory Instragram videos).

Crazy Ted posted:

I'm still trying to figure :wtf: Seattle started Steph Cox ahead of both Theresa Nielsen and Celia Jimenez, a pair of European internationals, at right back.

:shrug:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

And the Courage convert a PK at 89' :smith:

Call was fair (Barnes slid to clear a cross, had her arms up quite egregiously), Murphy dove the wrong way.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Big Huski Boi posted:

Holy poo poo

:emptyquote:

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
gently caress yeah do it Reign

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

whypick1 posted:

...all but guaranteeing the [Courage-Reign] goes to extra time.

lol

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Weak foul, great shot

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

That was a primo free kick by Debinha

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

whypick1 posted:

Weak foul, great shot

Murphy saw it early and still had no chance

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

And that's the dagger.

Still amazed the Reign made it this far after playing 31 different players this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

whypick1 posted:

And that's the dagger.

Still amazed the Reign made it this far after playing 31 different players this season.

The team poster for this season was pretty great with just how many players they had to fit onto it.