Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

D. Ebdrup posted:

Sure, it's on me for making a pun. I can't help it, I'm a paronomasiac.

ZFS, as you probably know, does per-record checksumming and stores the checksum in the previous record (effectively making a tree of retrivable and checkable checksums all the way back to the uberblock and its 9 copies).
It used to be only fletcher2 because that was fast on Suns SPARC64 CPUs, and fletcher4 was added later because it was only marginally slower on the faster newer SPARC64 processors.
OpenZFS has since added SHA512 and Skein; SHA512 because it's a cryptographically secure (for now) checksum that's very easy to do in hardware and therefore accelerate, and SKEIN other because it's very fast even when it can't be accelerated (which in theory it can, but there's nobody working on it), while still being (at present) cryptographically secure.
Somewhere on this list, Intel have hid the FreeBSD driver which can be built into FreeBSD (though I have yet to try it myself) - but even if you don't choose SHA512, the ~2GHz CPU is still fast enough that the fletcher checksumming ought to outpace any rotating rust, so the only advantage you get is saving CPU cycles that can be used for something else.

Hah! Right on, makes sense. Thanks for the additional details. Thanks for also teaching me a new word :) (paronomasiac)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

fletcher posted:

Hah! Right on, makes sense. Thanks for the additional details. Thanks for also teaching me a new word :) (paronomasiac)

I really wish I could buy a 8 or 12 bay DAS that used external SAS connectors and was the exact form factor of a Synology. I have a computer that's got 8 disks now in an NZXT 440 and I love ZFS and janitoring everything myself but external expansion basically seems to be a non-starter except for garbage looking Thunderbolt enclosures. If I wasn't in an apartment I could look at rackmount gear but the noise and size sort of kills the deal.

Are there any enclosures like the NSC-800 (which seems impossible to get now) that could function as an external JBOD?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Less Fat Luke posted:

I really wish I could buy a 8 or 12 bay DAS that used external SAS connectors and was the exact form factor of a Synology. I have a computer that's got 8 disks now in an NZXT 440 and I love ZFS and janitoring everything myself but external expansion basically seems to be a non-starter except for garbage looking Thunderbolt enclosures. If I wasn't in an apartment I could look at rackmount gear but the noise and size sort of kills the deal.

Are there any enclosures like the NSC-800 (which seems impossible to get now) that could function as an external JBOD?

I have been looking for something like this for a while, have not really found anything.

Hell, It is tempting to just build something using some ICY DOCK bays.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Less Fat Luke posted:

I think you're looking for an "8-bay SAS/SATA/JBOD enclosure".

https://www.newegg.com/mediasonic-h8r2-su3s2/p/N82E16816322007

https://www.newegg.com/p/1UW-0038-00004

https://www.newegg.com/sans-digital-tr8ut-bn/p/N82E16816111488

NAS chassis like the 810A could work fine too, there's just 8 SATA plugs in there so you should be able to plug them into a mini-SAS octopus cable, then provide 2x molex somehow to power the backplane...

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 16, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Less Fat Luke posted:

If you really like computer janitoring you could hack up something like this to use normal sized PSU's. :getin:

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/chassis/2U/826/SC826BE2C-R741JBOD

Also this is definitely not shady: https://www.serialcables.com/product/sa-enc12g-01a-2/

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah honestly at this point I'm thinking of getting some SFF (or not) case and just rigging the power supply with an ATX testing switch and connecting the second case to the main PCI via an LSI external HBA. Huge footprint though for a small amount of disks, especially when looking at the more dense Synology units:

https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS2419+

And yeah the rackmount stuff is way too large for a small apartment. If I had a garage I would have... several racks.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yeah honestly at this point I'm thinking of getting some SFF (or not) case and just rigging the power supply with an ATX testing switch and connecting the second case to the main PCI via an LSI external HBA. Huge footprint though for a small amount of disks, especially when looking at the more dense Synology units:

https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS2419+

And yeah the rackmount stuff is way too large for a small apartment. If I had a garage I would have... several racks.

What about https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DX1215 ?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I can't find any evidence that the expansion units would work with non-Synology hardware.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Areca has some nice external DAS enclosures. I have a 12-bay one. Pricier than rolling your own though.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Everything I have found "off the shelf" with a SAS connector is either crazy expensive or crazy physically large.

A backplane with a PSU and some drive sleds doesn't need to be that deep!

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Moey posted:

Everything I have found "off the shelf" with a SAS connector is either crazy expensive or crazy physically large.

A backplane with a PSU and some drive sleds doesn't need to be that deep!

This has been my experience as well. I have a short-depth rack cabinet and was hoping I could find something to put my drives in so that I can migrate out of my Node 802 case, but nothing fits or is an order of magnitude more than I'd like to spend.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Actuarial Fables posted:

This has been my experience as well. I have a short-depth rack cabinet and was hoping I could find something to put my drives in so that I can migrate out of my Node 802 case, but nothing fits or is an order of magnitude more than I'd like to spend.

for short-rack-depth the Netapp DS4243 might be an option, it's very cheap. there was a seller clearing them out for $60 per last year, with 2 PSUs and 2 IOMs and a full rack of trays. There will probably be others although probably not that cheap.

(and then you had to either swap out the IOMs, or source a Netapp card to control it, about another $40 to get to the point where you could use standard SAS cards/cables)

But it depends on how short, once you go smaller than standard rack depth and start white-boxing it's up to you to make sure it fits

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Unfortunately my cabinet's rackposts are 16.5" apart with 3" of space in the front and back, so most short-depth enclosures are still too big. I've been looking at external SAS enclosures opposed to storage server boxes as the length of both an mATX board and a 3.5" hdd is over 15", removing any possibility of a backplane for external access to drives. I did look at Norco RPC-4308 but there's no fans for the drives and I wasn't very impressed by the build quality of the RPC-432

I realize my situation is non-standard and stupid.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
woo, got my connectx-2 IB QDR/10GbE cards to work in ipoib mode on freebsd 12 :toot:

documentation was a bit out of date when I first tried, using the new config script that set connected mode helped (it was set on ubuntu but I didn't realize what I was looking at), plus I also needed to manually ifconfig a static IP.

with two cables direct connected between the two NICs I was pushing 16 gbit/s over iperf...

presumably that means both were working? but trying to assign a different static IP to both ports on the adapter and explicitly binditng to the second didn't work.

eg ubuntu: ib0=10.0.0.1, ib1=10.0.0.2

freebsd: ib0=10.0.0.3 ib1=10.0.0.4

freebsd could iperf to either .0 or .1 via explicitly binding to .3 but explicitly binding to .4 couldn't connect to anything at all. I guess maybe accepting any IP over any interface is a default linux behavior?

or maybe it's a bad cable or config issue... didn't track it too much further.

or maybe >10gbit speeds on IP means both ports are ganging properly? somehow? without config? I think it's only supposed to be a 10gbit link in ipoib...

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 17, 2019

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Gentlemen, would any of you consider this to be a good deal (Fb posting):

$400
Dell Precision Tower 5810
Dual Intel Xeon E5-2630
48GB of RAm
Nvidia Quadro K4000

I think this would meet my needs as a starter homelab and Plex server. Seems like a good deal?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I take it those hybrid spinning drives with solid state cache are dead?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Shaocaholica posted:

I take it those hybrid spinning drives with solid state cache are dead?

Nah, they still exist. Seagate has the FireCuda line, for example. They're just not used very often because a SSD + HDD is generally a better option for most people. SSHDs are really only good ideas for single-drive systems that you don't want to spend the money on a full SSD for.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Smashing Link posted:

$400
Dual Intel Xeon E5-2630
48GB of RAm
Nvidia Quadro K4000

I think this would meet my needs as a starter homelab and Plex server. Seems like a good deal?

For 200 I’d say yes, 400 seems pretty steep. Sandy Bridge is old, loud, hot, and nothing fancy unless the price is right. DDR3 RDIMMS are very cheap (like $30 per 16GB) and those are some fairly low-tier processors. GPU could be flipped and replaced with something minimal but it’s probably a Quadro equivalent of like a GTX 660 or something, old and nothing fancy.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 18, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I agree, $400 is way too steep.
I got myself a IBM X3650 M3 with two quad-core Xeon E5600/Westmere-EP series with SMT at 2.4GHz and 96GB ram for the equivalent of $149, and there's basically no micro-architectural difference between Westmere-EP and Sandy Bridge, so the only thing you get for $240 is 4 more cores.

Also, I keep seeing X5690 with 6 cores at 3.46GHz for insanely cheap, so I'm thinking that I might wanna grab a pair of those - then I'll have a CPU that's as fast as my workstation, with 12 cores instead of 4.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 18, 2019

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
Is there a sane way to copy an entire computer onto a qnap nas for both windows and linux?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

sockpuppetclock posted:

Is there a sane way to copy an entire computer onto a qnap nas for both windows and linux?
While I haven't used it, restic keeps getting brought up by people I know who work across many different platforms.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

D. Ebdrup posted:

I agree, $400 is way too steep.
I got myself a IBM X3650 M3 with two quad-core Xeon E5600/Westmere-EP series with SMT at 2.4GHz and 96GB ram for the equivalent of $149, and there's basically no micro-architectural difference between Westmere-EP and Sandy Bridge, so the only thing you get for $240 is 4 more cores.

Also, I keep seeing X5690 with 6 cores at 3.46GHz for insanely cheap, so I'm thinking that I might wanna grab a pair of those - then I'll have a CPU that's as fast as my workstation, with 12 cores instead of 4.

No architecture difference between westmere and sandy? Really? That doesn't sound right at all

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Less Fat Luke posted:

I have a U-NAS NSC-800 that I'm going to be selling for pretty cheap once I see the Node 804 drop in price enough.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

No architecture difference between westmere and sandy? Really? That doesn't sound right at all

X5600 to E5-2560 was a really minor incremental step. I saw the most horsepower jumping to the v2 of that arch. I don't know what you're doing on your NAS but I wouldn't buy a xeon for my house when the cloud exists. What were we talking about? :v:

(I bought several thousand cores each of E5500, E5600, E5-2620 (v1, 2, 3, 4). If you can find em I would go with v2 or v4 of that list.)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, core versus core, E56xx and E5V1 are pretty similar. Where the E5V1 is miles ahead is that it can be replaced with an E5V2 with generally no more than a BIOS update, if even that.

I have E5V2s in my box for that exact reason. Of course if I still had this thing at home I probably would have replaced it with some sort of newer single-proc setup instead to cut on power draw.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yeah, if you can find a E5-2667 v2 for cheap enough, you've got yourself one heck of a home-lab, but even used they tend to go for +$150 and you can't just use one, as far as I remember.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I got mine for free but I've hit way below market value on pretty much all of the hardware in my box other than the drives themselves.

And even with those chips, transcoding 4K makes them cry.

Speaking of market rate, is it just me or has it been a while since the last deal on hard drives? I had some of my 40-50k hour WD30EFRX drives start dying so I snagged some used Hitachi 3TB SAS drives to hold me over until Black Friday, when I'm hoping there will be a good deal on either 8TB or 10TB so I can replace one of my vdevs, and effectively have a ton of spares for my remaining high-hour 3TB drives.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

HalloKitty posted:

That’s because it’s not right at all. Sandy uarch was not a clean sheet break from Westmere, but a ton of things changed. Foundational stuff like how the register files worked (centralized Physical Register File in Sandy, Retirement RF in Westmere and earlier), Intel’s first use of an on-die ring bus interconnect for last layer cache, the debut of AVX256, and much more.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

D. Ebdrup posted:

Yeah, if you can find a E5-2667 v2 for cheap enough, you've got yourself one heck of a home-lab, but even used they tend to go for +$150 and you can't just use one, as far as I remember.

My gaming / data science rig is powered by 2 E5-2667v2s.

Can confirm, they are loving fast as hell, ... but they are pretty hot.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

necrobobsledder posted:

I have a U-NAS NSC-800 that I'm going to be selling for pretty cheap once I see the Node 804 drop in price enough.

Appreciate the offer but I'm in Canada so shipping would probably be astronomical :)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
edit: wrong thread, crap, meant to post in the networking thread

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 19, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

dexefiend posted:

My gaming / data science rig is powered by 2 E5-2667v2s.

Can confirm, they are loving fast as hell, ... but they are pretty hot.
Yeah I bet they are, I wouldn't use any without a couple of Dynatron R5s or similar.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Smashing Link posted:

$400
Dual Intel Xeon E5-2630
48GB of RAm
Nvidia Quadro K4000

Following up, I pulled the trigger on a Lian Li PC-A75X, mostly because of the 12x 3.5" HDD bays. My goal is to build an Unraid server that can handle 3-5 VMs (Windows, Linux, MacOS) and a Plex docker container. I'm hoping to grow my Plex user count to 10 or so daily users. Coming into the Black Friday season what would the thread recommend that I be on the lookout for in terms of Mobo/CPU in particular. I'm thinking a Xeon, Kaby Lake or newer but would appreciate any guidance.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've never seen Black Friday deals on server hardware - unless a retailer is doing a blanket discount / coupon or something.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Maybe not like rack units or whatever, but plenty of places run deals on hard drives. Shucking WD Book drives on sale is how a lot of people here populated their servers for half price.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
Right now I’m waiting for a sale to start populating the HDD docks I’ve got. Right now 8tb seems to be the way to go for price per TB, from what I’ve seen.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here we go.

I was hoping someone could help me with an Unraid build (and I'm looking at Unraid just because it looks easier to use than some of the other options).

I would like to spend $1000 or less (not including drives) and it would be used for mass storage and hopefully as a Plex server.

I like this case (Rosewill 4U Server Chassis with 12 hot-swap drive bays)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N9CXGSO/ref=crt_ewc_img_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
but I’m not married to the idea, or if there is a used solution I could find on eBay, I would be down for that as well.

I am a NAS noob and would love some help and hand-holding.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

How many plex streams do you plan on serving at a time?
Will you be running other services on the NAS as well (VMs, docker containers, torrents/usenet) or just storage + streaming?
How much storage space do you need?
How much storage space do you want?
Do you have somewhere to put the 2ft x 1.5ft box where you won't be bothered by the noise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

IndianaZoidberg posted:

I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here we go.

I was hoping someone could help me with an Unraid build (and I'm looking at Unraid just because it looks easier to use than some of the other options).

I would like to spend $1000 or less (not including drives) and it would be used for mass storage and hopefully as a Plex server.

I like this case (Rosewill 4U Server Chassis with 12 hot-swap drive bays)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N9CXGSO/ref=crt_ewc_img_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
but I’m not married to the idea, or if there is a used solution I could find on eBay, I would be down for that as well.

I am a NAS noob and would love some help and hand-holding.

Following, because I have a similar budget and goals in mind (Unraid/Plex/VMs). I went for a Lian Li tower that also has 12 bays. So far the other parts I've bought are a pair of Xeon E5-2690 V3 (12 Cores @ 2.6GHz) - $190 each - and a Supermicro Mobo - X10DRD-LT-O for $250.