Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean that's basically what a chimney is for just backwards.

Surely that would be smoke pumped inside from a fire outside

E: someone wants to go outside

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I mean that's basically what a chimney is for just backwards.

I do enjoy the nice tidy fit on the extractor but it's runnng off an extension cable though :v: (and presumably sitting under a table most of the time going by your carpet)
There's a little unit that sits in front of it in the winter because otherwise the natural draught across the top of the chimney pots draws warm air out of the room even if the fan's not going.

That's still going to happen a little bit even with it partway blocked, but that slight draught stops the chimney bricks getting sodden and also new 100% hermetically sealed houses are a bad idea and pretty gross.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Bundy posted:

Extractor fans in rooms that create moisture like kitchens/bathrooms, windows ajar when it's not freezing cold/wet out.

It's Britain mate, it's always freezing cold and wet out.

Guavanaut posted:

There's a little unit that sits in front of it in the winter because otherwise the natural draught across the top of the chimney pots draws warm air out of the room even if the fan's not going.

That's still going to happen a little bit even with it partway blocked, but that slight draught stops the chimney bricks getting sodden and also new 100% hermetically sealed houses are a bad idea and pretty gross.

Only if you don't install proper AC.

Which I imagine no builders in the UK ever do, because it's the UK, we don't do that here *dies of stale air a year after moving in*

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

RockyB posted:

If anyone is feeling a burning need for escapism, the alcoholic communist amnesiac detective game is extremely good and I recommend it everyone.

The writing has actually got some genuine laughs from me in places, which is extraordinarily rare for a video game.

My favourite part so far has been “a hug a day keeps the bourgeoisie away”. Completed first run through earlier as a communist hobocop, next up is psychic drug fuelled Mulder

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/LabourRichard/status/1185656474225258496

good crossover imho

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
If you have significant damp then you might want to check for things like leaky pipes or lovely guttering

I have dealt with minor damp with lovely peltier type dehumidifiers (don't bother) and usb desk fans wedged in open windows to encourage circulation (this was okay)

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Firos posted:

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1185989844281020418?s=20
This thread is just filled with reasons why the Tories have shot themselves in the foot.

This is really interesting. To summarise for everyone who doesn't want to read the thread:

The Tories are massively, incredibly hosed. The motion to approve the deal (as amended) was passed on Saturday. That means there's no way the Speaker will allow any sort of meaningful vote on it tomorrow - it has already been discussed, debated, and approved in the eyes of the House. The amendment means that the only way the deal gets approved is if the WAB gets passed on Tuesday/Wednesday.

However, to bring this to the House the Government has to get it's programme approved. Usually this is just on a nod but, with the way things are shaking out this could go to a division and the government could lose - or, it could be approved with conditions. Either way, if the WAB isn't brought forward and approved this week the Government will have to accept an extension to comply with the Benn Act. If it is brought forward it is likely to be amended to include a Customs Union which won't fly with the EU and Joris won't be able to square with the Tory party.

Then there's the Queen's Speech, which the Government could also lose but who the gently caress knows what happens with that.

So the key things to look out for tomorrow/Tuesday:

1) Is the programme motion approved? This'll be the first one, I think as soon as the Commons opens tomorrow? Either way, if this fails then we're in uncharted territory

2) Does the Speaker refuse any sort of Meaningful Vote? Almost certainly yes but expect JRM to get told off

3) If the programme is approved does the Customs Union amendment pass? If yes we could see the government pull the bill again because they know they can't do it.

4) When does the Queen's Speech vote happen and what happens if/when they lose? I don't see any reason why it will pass, for the opposition it's an easy opportunity to kick Joris when he's down and for the rebels it's not as if Joris needs to do anything if he loses.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Renaissance Robot posted:

Only if you don't install proper AC.

Which I imagine no builders in the UK ever do, because it's the UK, we don't do that here *dies of stale air a year after moving in*
Yeah, proper AC in this case would be full HVAC/Centralair that allows a few % of fresh outside air to be entrained and inside air expelled, not just an AC unit. Nobody in the UK is doing that for residential properties.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Build a windcatcher on your house for combined cooling, ventilation, and sniper tower in the post brexit inferno future.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
The Graun is forecasting that the DUP will oppose again and that it will squeak over on the strength of LAB rebel votes

This is assuming it isn't amended to hell and back before then

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

EvilHawk posted:

This is really interesting. To summarise for everyone who doesn't want to read the thread:

The Tories are massively, incredibly hosed.

This is why I was resistant to join last night's bizarre reactionary deathcult.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't quite share the degree of optimism over the amendment process but certainly there is room for it to go either way.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I'd still hold on to the death-cult pamphlets

all plans are gambling on a forecast of how the DUP, that bastion of consistency and resolve, would respond to an interacting thicket of amendments, because it still remains the case that the deal is suspected to have the votes if it somehow dodges the amendments. And these are amendments that people have had less than two days to hammer out and sync with colleagues

I don't really agree that CON really flubbed it by walking out, in the sense that Johnson really wants that People vs Parliament election and is just rolling dice to while away the time until an opportune moment to call for an early GE

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

DesperateDan posted:

If you have significant damp then you might want to check for things like leaky pipes or lovely guttering

I have dealt with minor damp with lovely peltier type dehumidifiers (don't bother) and usb desk fans wedged in open windows to encourage circulation (this was okay)
Or in my case, persistent mold on the bedroom ceiling. When I went into the loft on unrelated business, I found out the tube from the extractor fan in the bathroom was just kind of dropped haphazardly onto the loft insulation, coincidentally just above the huge patch of mold. So all of the moisture from the bathroom was just condensing in this tube, and then leaking onto the plaster.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What actually does happen if the Queen's speech loses?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

ronya posted:

I'd still hold on to the death-cult pamphlets

all plans are gambling on a forecast of how the DUP, that bastion of consistency and resolve, would respond to an interacting thicket of amendments, because it still remains the case that the deal is suspected to have the votes if it somehow dodges the amendments. And these are amendments that people have had less than two days to hammer out and sync with colleagues

I don't really agree that CON really flubbed it by walking out, in the sense that Johnson really wants that People vs Parliament election and is just rolling dice to while away the time until an opportune moment to call for an early GE

I don't really think walking out on the vote really had an impact at all. All it would have meant is that there would be another defeat which, really, doesn't do anything for anyone.

Steve2911 posted:

Nothing thanks to the FTPA.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, proper AC in this case would be full HVAC/Centralair that allows a few % of fresh outside air to be entrained and inside air expelled, not just an AC unit. Nobody in the UK is doing that for residential properties.

That is the kind of proper AC I was referring to, yes. It wouldn't be that expensive to run if you designed the whole house around it, but one of the provisos is you're not allowed to open the windows ever. It would be prohibitively expensive to convert any existing UK house to this style I think, since they're built with the assumption of natural draughts existing everwhere to keep the damp in check.

On my more realistic list of preferred mods is a set of water heating solar panels plugged into the central heating and some kind of heat reclamation system to get the hot back out of my waste water (as a stopgap until I can convince my neighbours to go halfsies tenths with me on a community water/ground source heat pump and maybe one of those vortex turbines if there happens to be a stream nearby).

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Steve2911 posted:

Convention is for the Prime Minister to be shamed into resigning.

So when you have a Prime Minister who is utterly without shame, nothing at all.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

We were seeing the Downton Abbey movie and it was very confusing. Watching the movie felt like reading my Twitter feed:

"So, are the protagonists the bad guys here or not?"
"The movie's gay guy didn't get his life wrecked like all the others during the town police raid because he had connections to the Royals, shows how woke to monarchy was"
"Posh people reminisce about how millions of men dying in the war created a pleasant national spirit, shame that's gone now (hello Olympics 2012)"
"Royal person: maybe this monarchy thing isn't such a good idea anymore. We could stop running this house, turn it into a school or hospital, and earn an honest living. Servant: no no you see, serving this house which is the bedrock of our community community and ties the town together. We would have no identity if we didn't live to serve you"
"Man: I attempted to violently sabotage a high security national event because I was jealous when another man spoke to you. Woman: OMG that's so romantic this surely is the foundation of a great, unabusive relationship, let me have your babies"
"Aspirational character arc: wife decides that she'll put up with an abusive husband who doesn't love her to protect the sanctity of the crown, becomes role model"
"Great moment of empathy as noblewoman explains how her life is so much harder than that of her servants"
"Servants respond to questions of class struggle by rallying around the glory of their house"

:thermidor:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have never watched downton abbey because I feel if I did I would wake up in a ditch somewhere covered in blood and screaming.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
drat they haven't even brought in that insane working with foreign governments law and a tory MP is breaking it

https://twitter.com/DKShrewsbury/status/1185990368795463680

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

It would be prohibitively expensive to convert any existing UK house to this style I think, since they're built with the assumption of natural draughts existing everwhere to keep the damp in check.

Sort of.

Any newish house will have "trickle vents" - little vents, usually positioned in the tops of windows, which you can open and close as necessary for ventilation. This is to compensate for the lack of naturally draughty windows/fireplaces etc. people used to have. When they test a house for airtightness, they actually tape over these.

They can actually make quite a lot of difference to air quality.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Lord Stimperor posted:

We were seeing the Downton Abbey movie and it was very confusing. Watching the movie felt like reading my Twitter feed:

"So, are the protagonists the bad guys here or not?"
"The movie's gay guy didn't get his life wrecked like all the others during the town police raid because he had connections to the Royals, shows how woke to monarchy was"
"Posh people reminisce about how millions of men dying in the war created a pleasant national spirit, shame that's gone now (hello Olympics 2012)"
"Royal person: maybe this monarchy thing isn't such a good idea anymore. We could stop running this house, turn it into a school or hospital, and earn an honest living. Servant: no no you see, serving this house which is the bedrock of our community community and ties the town together. We would have no identity if we didn't live to serve you"
"Man: I attempted to violently sabotage a high security national event because I was jealous when another man spoke to you. Woman: OMG that's so romantic this surely is the foundation of a great, unabusive relationship, let me have your babies"
"Aspirational character arc: wife decides that she'll put up with an abusive husband who doesn't love her to protect the sanctity of the crown, becomes role model"
"Great moment of empathy as noblewoman explains how her life is so much harder than that of her servants"
"Servants respond to questions of class struggle by rallying around the glory of their house"

:thermidor:

The fact that this garbage is seriously popular with people reminds me that the electorate has a high chance of re-electing the Tories back into power in the next general election. Class consciousness is still pitifully low.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Kawczynski was quoted in the Polish media last week saying he’ll fight for gay rights til death, which effectively makes him persona non grata for the conservatives in power.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

ronya posted:

The Graun is forecasting that the DUP will oppose again and that it will squeak over on the strength of LAB rebel votes

This is assuming it isn't amended to hell and back before then
that article has this amazing word salad from Lucy Powell on why she might vote for the deal:

quote:

Lucy Powell, the Manchester Central MP who was one of a group of 19 MPs in the party who urged the EU to work to find a deal with Johnson before last week’s resolution, said she could possibly back an agreement if it was decided through legislation rather than a straight yes or no vote.

She told Sky News: “I probably wouldn’t have voted for it if we had had a straight up and down vote on it over the weekend but I do think now that we’ve got to move forward. You do have to resolve this issue, you have to resolve Brexit, even if you are somebody who is advocating a second referendum you still need to say what’s going to be on the ballot paper.

“I think it probably now is boiling down to a Brexit of this deal versus a general election and I would really worry about a general election when we haven’t actually left the EU. I worry about what that would do to the Labour party and the Labour communities that we represent.”

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Or in my case, persistent mold on the bedroom ceiling.
The previous occupants in my place ran a tumble dryer in the under-stair storage. :hotpickle:

And related to UK housing design and my persistent hate of ring mains, when I first moved in I checked the consumer unit and distribution board and all that, and it was fine, and it was only a couple months ago when I took the socket plate off the wall in the front room to move some ugly wires around in the jitty that I found out that the first socket next to the main board only had one neutral wired in by whoever fitted it, so everything in the whole house was going back to the mains through half of the neutral line.

lmao what a poo poo system.

That is the kind of proper AC I was referring to, yes. It wouldn't be that expensive to run if you designed the whole house around it, but one of the provisos is you're not allowed to open the windows ever. It would be prohibitively expensive to convert any existing UK house to this style I think, since they're built with the assumption of natural draughts existing everwhere to keep the damp in check.

On my more realistic list of preferred mods is a set of water heating solar panels plugged into the central heating and some kind of heat reclamation system to get the hot back out of my waste water (as a stopgap until I can convince my neighbours to go halfsies tenths with me on a community water/ground source heat pump and maybe one of those vortex turbines if there happens to be a stream nearby).
I don't think it's even possible in most UK housing stock because it's not built around ducting. But as OwlFancier said I guess you could use the chimney breasts as the basis of a ducting based system in the roof for pre-WWI houses because of fireplaces everywhere.

The interwar projects and 50s/60s housing estates are utterly impossible for that though unless it was one of the ones where hot air was built in.

OwlFancier posted:

I have never watched downton abbey because I feel if I did I would wake up in a ditch somewhere covered in blood and screaming.
That's Buckfast Abbey.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

drat they haven't even brought in that insane working with foreign governments law and a tory MP is breaking it

https://twitter.com/DKShrewsbury/status/1185990368795463680

Check his Wikipedia page. Selling out to foreign countries is literally his complete and entire thing as an MP.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

The previous occupants in my place ran a tumble dryer in the under-stair storage. :hotpickle:

Oh hey I'm not the only one!

Except it came with the rental as well and I was too lazy to move it (it's big and heavy and I was there for only a few months so FYGM).

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's an understairs tumble dryer in my place, as long as it's a condenser unit then it's fine.

If it's a regular unit and it's just blasting water vapour into the cupboard then lol.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If it's a regular unit and it's just blasting water vapour into the cupboard then lol.
Yeah...

They did have a wooden box into the vent brick to the outside that the hose went into. It did not work well.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Apraxin posted:

that article has this amazing word salad from Lucy Powell on why she might vote for the deal:

https://twitter.com/daily_politics/status/932589941766332416

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 20, 2019

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Can’t wait for the watch along of this before the exit poll comes out on election night :allears:

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Guavanaut posted:

And related to UK housing design and my persistent hate of ring mains,
If it’s good enough for grid then it should be good enough for you :eng101:

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

If a majority of parliament don't trust Boris to negotiate the future relationship, why hasn't somebody put forward an amendment that the next stage is negotiated by a cross-parliamentry committee? Is there something in our not-constitution that says only the government and not the legislature can conduct negotiations?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because nearly all the tories do trust boris, and nobody except labour trusts labour.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/BlackSocialists/status/1185710349166755840?s=20

Not UKPol (sadly) but posters may enjoy nevertheless.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

As regards prognostication on what the DUP will do, well...

WhatEvil posted:

https://twitter.com/BlackSocialists/status/1185710349166755840?s=20

Not UKPol (sadly) but posters may enjoy nevertheless.

This owns VERY hard, hell yeah! Solidarity!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Can’t wait for the watch along of this before the exit poll comes out on election night :allears:

Powell's "OH MAH GAWD" on hearing the exit poll works well alongside Kinnock's slack-jawed bufuddlement.
They both come across as cripplingly thick (or at least, so self-absorbed that it manifests as stupidity).

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Lebanon is very interesting to watch,

Vast and largely peaceful protests brought on entirely by a population shat on for too long.

I'd say we should take inspiration, but I do fancy a classic British protest so I can loot a new TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

Because nearly all the tories do trust boris, and nobody except labour trusts labour.

I refuse to believe that any of them genuinely have faith in him. It's all part of the mask keeping them in power.