Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Pretty sure the donor pays the gift tax, not the recipient.

Haha whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Isn't that Hillary tweet stolen content? I swear I saw it a few days ago

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/RationalDis/status/1185605154227281921

Sam says over 50% support impeachment.
Pool says all his polls are biased.
Pool suggests an unbiased source of his own, which ends up showing an average of 52%.

https://twitter.com/RationalDis/status/1185754353308712963

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 20, 2019

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Flesh Forge posted:

"it's just pepper spray"

Of course, not to make light of how horrible the use of pepper spray is when it hits people - just that it's not anything exotic or some special thing only used against bears.
But you are right, I should be more conscious of the implications of what I say, my B.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

What’s dumb is that Bear Repellant is less potent than mace or pepper spray because bears have an incredibly sensitive olfactory sense. It’s just has a more powerful stream and volume.

Everyone likes to talk about bear repellant because it sounds way more badass or something.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Somewhat unrelated to the current discussion but I've been thinking a lot lately about how woefully underfunded out public education system seems to be in the United States but every stat I look up has us in the top 2 or 3 of per capita spending on it. How is this possible and how do I refute my MAGA/CHUD neighbors that we do, in fact, need much more money going towards schools?

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_cmd.asp

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=66

My gut tells me the answer lies not in measuring it by a basic per capita measure but as a % of spending or something related to GDP or allocation of funds. I'm not an economist and too stupid to figure it out but every objective study I look at says the U.S. spends a shitload on education so why are are our schools broke?

I can't find anything that lists how much public funding goes to schools as a % compared to other things, like military spending and whatever.

ah...there it is

https://www.cbo.gov/topics/education

so 8.5%. Is that low or high compared to the other countries is in my first link?

and....here we go. #86 as a % of GDP. I'm getting it now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_spending_on_education_(%25_of_GDP)

Sorry for figuring all that out in real time, thread

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
It's always good to see real-time development of praxis, friend.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

BiggerBoat posted:

Somewhat unrelated to the current discussion but I've been thinking a lot lately about how woefully underfunded out public education system seems to be in the United States but every stat I look up has us in the top 2 or 3 of per capita spending on it. How is this possible and how do I refute my MAGA/CHUD neighbors that we do, in fact, need much more money going towards schools?

My gut tells me the answer lies not in measuring it by a basic per capita measure but as a % of spending or something related to GDP or allocation of funds. I'm not an economist and too stupid to figure it out but every objective study I look at says the U.S. spends a shitload on education so why are are our schools broke?

I can't find anything that lists how much public funding goes to schools as a % compared to other things, like military spending and whatever.

ah...there it is

so 8.5%. Is that low or high compared to the other countries is in my first link?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_spending_on_education_(%25_of_GDP)

It also has to do with the fact that schools have to do more than what you might term core education with that money because US based governments are always struggling for funding in ways that some other places aren't.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

BiggerBoat posted:

ah...there it is

I also don't think it all boils down to money. The way we teach students now and the fact we allow charter schools to exist is pretty bad too.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

educational funding, based at the local level, is highly variable in the united states because of the lack of federal or even state standardization of fund distribution. this means that some schools have more money then they need, and some less

this is the root of socioeconomic segregation in the united states. you know when people with kids are trying to find a house in a certain school district? segregation at work, in a manner that many people are forced to interact with whether they like it or not

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Way, waaaaaaay lower. Shutting down sections of the economy can be targeted if vulnerable. MLK did that repeatedly. He was known for it. And it could be done with hundreds, maybe thousands of people. MLK wasn't some dreamer like he's portrayed in class. He was a labor organizer and a damned good one.

Sorry but I can't let this go without pointing out that also got shot in the loving head for his trouble.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

luxury handset posted:

educational funding, based at the local level, is highly variable in the united states because of the lack of federal or even state standardization of fund distribution. this means that some schools have more money then they need, and some less

this is the root of socioeconomic segregation in the united states. you know when people with kids are trying to find a house in a certain school district? segregation at work, in a manner that many people are forced to interact with whether they like it or not

The root of the problem isn't entirely "not enough money," so much as where the money goes. There is a huge disparity between states as far as spending goes, and another huge disparity between the schools in each state. The way this is determined varies by state, but some of these policies are just horrifying. Our kids learn reading, arithmetic, and that socioeconomic mobility is a futile hope.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BiggerBoat posted:

Somewhat unrelated to the current discussion but I'

Don't apologize for a best post

But yeah a large part of it is the urban rural split. Google "corridor of shame." Our good schools are good but the bad schools aren't even schools.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

RuanGacho posted:

It also has to do with the fact that schools have to do more than what you might term core education with that money because US based governments are always struggling for funding in ways that some other places aren't.

Also their families are often struggling outside of school (food insecurity, extreme debt, multiple jobs) because our social programs are cruel and worthy only of a libertarian hellscape.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1186023043560329216?s=21

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

So what you’re saying is we have a chance?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Honestly, what I'm waiting for is the breaking story that after Donny gets impeached Pence has been quietly negotiating with the Republican Senators to vote Yes.

It's just a question of if the story comes out in the middle of the Republicans refusing to impeach, or if the story breaks in September/October of Pence/Some Even Dumber Guy 2020.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
drat awful lot of anonymous republicans saying trumps committed impeachable offenses

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Oh gently caress you. Trump could personally murder the families of every single Senate Republican and there still wouldn't be a 20 percent chance theyd turn on him.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Craig K posted:

drat awful lot of anonymous republicans saying trumps committed impeachable offenses

At this point a not insignificant handful are saying it openly, too.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Oh gently caress you. Trump could personally murder the families of every single Senate Republican and there still wouldn't be a 20 percent chance theyd turn on him.

Trump is loving up so badly that almost none of them actually want to be stuck with the fallout from his bullshit, but also they don't want to be the first one to speak up and draw his ire. Fortunately a few have already spoken up so that's rapidly becoming moot.

It's hard to describe just how much Trump has lost the respect of basically everyone in the government. Even Trump appointees are testifying against him now.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 20, 2019

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Sen. Graham being more discreet than usual.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
They only actually need 19 senators to remove, that's entirely within the realm of possibility, especially with Trump continuing to torpedo his own administration

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I don't believe him but we should still impeach and call the bluff

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump can’t stop stepping all over his little toad dick so yeah it’s only going to get worse for him and a bunch of Republicans recognize that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

At this point a not insignificant handful are saying it openly, too.

Trump is loving up so badly that almost none of them actually want to be stuck with the fallout from his bullshit, but also they don't want to be the first one to speak up and draw his ire. Fortunately a few have already spoken up so that's rapidly becoming moot.

It's hard to describe just how much Trump has lost the respect of basically everyone in the government. Even Trump appointees are testifying against him now.

Honestly I’d put it at 40 percent at this point.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Remember like 3 weeks ago when we shouldn't impeach because no Republican would ever vote for it?

Good times

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I have a harder time seeing a realistic path to Trump not get removed from office than the other way around, tbh

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

This was Pelosi's plan along. Loling at the doubters and nihilists

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Oh we absolutely should impeach, but anyone who honestly thinks he'll be removed from office is a big dumb idiot.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Prester Jane posted:

There is rather little to indicate that the boomers are transferring their wealth to the next generation except for the very affluent. End-of-life care has become extremely good at sucking every last penny out of old Boomers and making sure their children have very little few liquid assets left to inherit.

This + many of these boomers had little to no savings at all and are using reverse mortgages quite frequently to fund their retirements.

There will be some money that is transferred from the boomers to younger generations but its going to be more of a trickle to pay off some school debt or a car than the sweeping flood that saves a generation its been portrayed as.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Can the Senate do an anonymous vote for removal or something? That would be the maximum chaos option and would also be the most upsetting for trump, which is ideal.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Calibanibal posted:

This was Pelosi's plan along. Loling at the doubters and nihilists

Trust The Plan

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Imagine if right after the Dems opened the impeachment inquiry the entire Trump Administration just shut the gently caress up. So not releasing the transcript, not sending Rudy on a million shows, not blocking people from testifying, not ranting on Twitter, etc etc. They might have taken control of the entire narrative in a matter of days.

But alas

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I have a harder time seeing a realistic path to Trump not get removed from office than the other way around, tbh

https://mobile.twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1186035686396321793 Anyway. I think he can still survive impeachment but probably at the cost of election.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I like those odds! I also have been figuring it closer to 10% at the moment. And falling as Trump gets enough time past the stuff that's driving the wedges between Trump and those senators that it falls out of their goldfish brains.

We're talking about people who are explicitly saying things that amount to "a republican president cannot do anything wrong and you are going against God to suggest otherwise". The senate votes really are not there. If they impeached right now and sent it over for a trial I think that they might get five republican senators to vote for removal.

That said, Trump has been doing some very stupid things lately and it's possible he'll do something that forces a lot more republican senators into revolt. Remember that it took Trump actually threatening the democrat party directly by setting up crooked investigations to finally get them willing to start advancing on impeachment; it's going to take something on that scale to move any amount of republicans.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 20, 2019

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
What Republican senator has actually said they would vote in favor of impeachment?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

ah...there it is

I mean, this still doesn't really answer your question. % of GDP is a good indicator of how we the US is under-achieving with respect to what it *could* be spending on education, but the GDP is so huge that even a modest % can and does still translate to a dollars per capita figure competitive to the rest of the world. For example, in terms of spending per capita the US is about tied with Finland and more than double that of Japan (and well above the OECD average). Dollars per student is probably the best metric if you are trying to correlate funding to education quality (and it's an important distinction from dollars per capita due to demographic differences, especially with respect to other OECD countries). But even then, the US is near the top.

I think the real answer to your question is complicated:

1.) Average statistics are probably not the right place to look. There are towns and cities in the US where the schools are excellent and where education outcomes are good. There are also places that are below the standards in many 3rd world countries. Just because the overall level of funding is adequate doesn't mean there aren't going to be communities that are grossly underserved for, lets say, historical reasons unique the the US. More broadly than that, funding is largely on a state per state basis--only 8% of funding is federal; so New York for example spends roughly triple per student than what Oklahoma does (guess how that works out).

2.) As with healthcare in the US, funding is probably not the main problem. Like, medicare and medicaid alone cost about as much per capita as the entire NHS, but they only cover a fraction of the population and then we pile on a hugely expensive private healthcare system on top of that--clearly there is a cost/efficiency issue there, not a funding issue. It's easy to frame everything as a funding issue, since the solutions are then straightforward--and we are in fact encouraged to do this by the media because it distracts us from the core issue of "why is this money being pissed away to feed a system of useless goddamn vampire capitalists" and instead fight over issues of distribution.

3.) Building on #2, compared to other OECD countries with very successful education systems, in the US there is less emphasis on attracting and retaining highly qualified teachers (i.e. less funding is used to pay teachers). Proportionately higher is spent on administrative and other costs. Not only that, but the US system engages a lot more with the private sector, when it comes to things like books, instruction support, even testing (in contrast, Finland's system is almost entirely nationalized).

So in summary, the US spends about as much on average, but fucks over Those People wherever it can. Funding is mostly localized, so states/counties controlled by politicians who don't want to spend money on education, don't have to (freeeedom!). On top of that, more funding is diverted to the private sector to provide overpriced garbage, and less goes to teachers. A well paid professional class of instructors would be bad, because they would constitute a group of working people that we cant get rid of and have to pay well (god forbid). Finally, while the U.S. manages to spend as much or more on education as about anyone else (albeit inefficiently and inequitably), we should bear in mind that the singularly huge nature of the U.S. economy mean that it's system *should* be, by far, the best in the world--just completely without equal.

As a last point, though it's maybe not the most popular opinion, I'd point out that even if there was no correlation whatsoever to education outcomes--relative to other countries or otherwise--we should pay instructors more for the same reason that we should pay fry cooks more--they are human beings and deserve a living wage because they live in a society that could easily afford it. To a certain extent (especially in richer and whiter communities), the argument of "we need to spend more money on education because our system is bad!" is overstated, because it's for some reason less politically viable to say "pay teachers more just because they deserve it, you assholes". The fact of the matter is, if we rooted out the inefficiencies in our education system and/or nationalized it, we could easily afford to pay less and achieve the same or better outcomes, while also eliminating the gross inequality. The argument for a living (or heaven forbid "good") wage is independent of how much value you can squeeze out of the system and get away with it.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Random Stranger posted:

I like those odds! I also have been figuring it closer to 10% at the moment. And falling as Trump gets enough time past the stuff that's driving the wedges between Trump and those senators that it falls out of their goldfish brains.

Yeah I had it pegged around 14% so this is actually a pleasant surprise

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1186035686396321793 Anyway. I think he can still survive impeachment but probably at the cost of election.

When do the Do Nothing Democrats pay a price for the things they are doing

Are they doing things or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Prester Jane posted:

From my perspective I'm doing my bit to lay the conceptual groundwork to help drive public opinion towards disruptive action once things have deteriorated badly enough. And I do believe things are going to deteriorate to that point between the looming economic collapse and climate change or the absurd amount of Fanatics who have been given lifetime appointments in the federal judiciary.

This. Things are going to get bad. There's going to be occupations and general strikes. If we're lucky, it'll look more like Puerto Rico than Bahrain. How soon we do it, how prepared we are to do it when the time is right, effects the process and the outcome. Having people bringing awareness now will ensure it goes well later on. It's insurance against the bystander effect.

Of course, I've been pushing for that general strike since the inauguration - but I didn't have to wait for the Mueller report to have a good sense of what happened in 2016.

I think we're past time where we should pull off the sorts of direct actions you're advancing. I also see people are slow to act. I feel compelled to bring up the importance of employing a diversity of tactics, and emphasize intersectionality.