Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Shadow225 posted:

I have Glass Road sitting on in Math trade matrix, but not sure if I actually want it. Someone convince me either way

That and Loyang are two of his more unique games so probably worth trying out at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chill la Chill posted:

Played roads and boats at 4P last night on the map that had mountains in the middle and two pairs of players on either end. Had a blast and didn’t realize the game took 5h, the time just slipped by. My two friends on the same side immediately started working together while my other friend and I took a while to cooperate so they were way ahead of us in tech and infrastructure such that they invaded our area and had a roaming truck building walls at the end of the game. I should’ve taken a picture but it was glorious. Friend on my side quietly built stocks in the same way as the other friends so the scores were tight between all of them 453-434-331 and me at a lousy 158 cuz of all the walls built around my area. 453 was from one of the cooperating players. The 331 was from the other cooperating player, who I told maybe 70% into the game that he should either betray his partner or attack the other player on my side who quietly built stocks. We can’t wait to play the game again but the sheer size makes it hard to bring to a meetup. I don’t know if I’ll play it with more than 4 but it was better than I thought it’d be. The donkey, affectionately nicknamed Donko, loves to lead their untitled goose buddies around.

Oh Christ, don't play it with more than four. Don't play it with four. R&B caps at three if you value your sanity.

I've been casting around for places to go for the Essen Goonmeet, assuming we're still thinking Thursday and food. My first thought was Don't Panic, but they have a gig on every night next week. I know that we can game in one of the Holiday Inns near Berlinerplatz because they don't really ask if you're a guest if you order a drink, and I know several good places within a few minutes walk. Or there's the Unperfekthaus, where the entry isn't cheap but it's all you can eat food and drink and it has tables you can game on. But I'd need to know what kind of price range people want to be in.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

CaptainRightful posted:

Played this once and hated it. Point salad, multiplayer solitaire, stare at your own player mat the whole time, 3 market row decks and 3 blind draw decks, ugh. Players with small, efficient engines have to sit and wait for the giant engine lovers to play out their turns.

Also, so dry and mechanical. For example, priests go on missions and knights build garrisons: these actions are mechanically identical and have identical effects, aside from the color of pawn used and the color of the banner that advances 1 point.

I played this yesterday and actually have to disagree with the sentiment. It is a very mechanical game, and thematically a bit weird. But there's parts of it that evoke Terra Mystica/gaia project and hansa Teutonica. I enjoyed it and it looks to be much stronger than Architects.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Had my first game of Brass: B yesterday and won with 98 - 92 - 84 - 78.

3 new players and the owner. Really good game. Everbody had fun and I am sure I will get some more plays of it as the owner really digs it.

Was also teached GWT without expansion and lost 56 - 80 as I had 2 really bad hands for the delivery and had -10 points from the train track. Didn't use my draw/discard ability enough. Tried to go with a obstacles strategy and it was fun. will definitly play again.

And then a learning game of Res Arcana. Lost 8 - 10 and if my opponent hadn't got the untap item I would have one. Nice little engine builder and also a game I will try to play some more.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Selecta84 posted:

Had my first game of Brass: B yesterday and won with 98 - 92 - 84 - 78.

3 new players and the owner. Really good game. Everbody had fun and I am sure I will get some more plays of it as the owner really digs it.

It's a great game. I'm curious as to what you were doing that the scores were so low, though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Out of curiosity, I did the pub meeple ranking (https://rankingengine.pubmeeple.com/) thing again, not really expecting the top 9 to shift much from the last time I did it 1.5-2 years ago. The result was correct aside from an unfortunate misclick that rendered Chicago express down to 26th place somehow (wtf) and 1817 being the obligatory 18xx game that showed up to take the place of 89.

Anyway, this was the best part:

Tough choice but I gave it to 20th anniversary for the &cetera this edition contains &cetera bit.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Jedit posted:

It's a great game. I'm curious as to what you were doing that the scores were so low, though.

Well, 3 new players and the explanation could have been a bit better :shrug: we were getting the hang If it and we will be better next time. The reset in Phase 2 was screwing us more then we thought but will not be such a problem next time.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

New expansion announced!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Link? I can't figure out the name from that poster.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I seriously cannot tell if that’s a joke or not.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rad Valtar posted:

I seriously cannot tell if that’s a joke or not.

It is.

You can tell with the 30-50 feral hogs reference, if nothing else.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I think I might like the (possibly feral) hog more than the donkey to be honest. Splotter better up their game!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mayveena posted:

Link? I can't figure out the name from that poster.

https://twitter.com/neofeliss/status/1185926133331759105

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Out of curiosity, I did the pub meeple ranking (https://rankingengine.pubmeeple.com/) thing again, not really expecting the top 9 to shift much from the last time I did it 1.5-2 years ago. The result was correct aside from an unfortunate misclick that rendered Chicago express down to 26th place somehow (wtf) and 1817 being the obligatory 18xx game that showed up to take the place of 89.

That ranking engine works. I also expected Chex to be on my list, but I think it came in at #12 or so. Might seem weird for both Brasses to be in the list, but this is about favorites, not desert island picks.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

cursed as gently caress

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

"This will take approximately 1077 comparisons" ahaha gently caress off.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Jedit posted:

"This will take approximately 1077 comparisons" ahaha gently caress off.

just filter out low rated stuff, no point in having duds in there

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That's what I did. Only compared 8+. My top 20-30 games are mostly 10s with a couple 9s anyway.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

scientifically proven to be the best top nine through my rigorous testing :smug:

for some reason it didn't import Modern Art into my list which would probably replace Tak there, and here's my top 30 (everything that's a 8 and higher)

quote:

1 Food Chain Magnate
2 Keyflower
3 Tigris & Euphrates
4 Antiquity
5 Dominion
6 Agricola (Revised Edition)
7 BattleCON: War of Indines
8 Tak
9 Chicago Express
(Modern Art)
10 Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization
11 Dungeon Petz
12 Pax Pamir (Second Edition)
13 Blue Moon Legends
14 Kemet
15 Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends
16 A Feast for Odin
17 Race for the Galaxy
18 Gaia Project
19 Mage Knight Board Game
20 Ra
21 Root
22 Spirit Island
23 Dominant Species
24 Star Wars: Rebellion
25 BattleLore (Second Edition)
26 Antike Duellum
27 1889: History of Shikoku Railways
28 Valley of the Kings: Premium Edition
29 Arcadia Quest
30 Galaxy Trucker

I feel like that plus 20 small/party games would be a well rounded collection and I wouldn't miss the other ~40 games I have.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Papes posted:

Where's the setting for that?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

after you put in your BGG name scroll down and set the slider of "minimum personal rating" and make sure you don't include expansions as well

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Papes posted:

The fun of not filtering is getting to vote Betrayal as worse than First Orchard.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

after you put in your BGG name scroll down and set the slider of "minimum personal rating" and make sure you don't include expansions as well

I don't see that slider. The only additional setting is "include expansions".

E: never mind me, it appears after you hit Go.

E2:

Jedit fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 20, 2019

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I haven't been keeping up with this thread but I just finally got around to playing Crusader Kings and it was... kind of a letdown? 4 players (no Iberia), first scenario and the game ended right at the end of the second era. Final scores were 6, 6, 6, 5 so really close but the winner was almost totally checked out by the end because her lands were in complete disarray which torpedoed her invasion plans. Totally shocked be winning.

I don't know what the goon consensus is but the game did not really seem to have anything to encourage map intersections between players. There didn't seem to be much of a reason to go through the trouble to invade another player when it was a lot easier to take a neutral county. The rules were also a little confusing with regards to the trait tokens and when to take them out of the bag and remembering which character put them into the bag in the first place. I think we had bad luck with kids (looooot of uggos) which lead to a lot failed trait checks.

Overall I was kinda underwhelmed. Sad, I love the video game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I don't really think Wind The Film! belongs there, but I don't own it and really want to own it and don't get to play it as much as I want to, so I can see why it beat others.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Did you guys just do the games you own or did you include any game you have previously owned?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Rad Valtar posted:

Did you guys just do the games you own or did you include any game you have previously owned?

Rated 9+, didn't need to own, for me.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rad Valtar posted:

I just did "games that own".

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Clanpot Shake posted:

I haven't been keeping up with this thread but I just finally got around to playing Crusader Kings and it was... kind of a letdown? 4 players (no Iberia), first scenario and the game ended right at the end of the second era. Final scores were 6, 6, 6, 5 so really close but the winner was almost totally checked out by the end because her lands were in complete disarray which torpedoed her invasion plans. Totally shocked be winning.

I don't know what the goon consensus is but the game did not really seem to have anything to encourage map intersections between players. There didn't seem to be much of a reason to go through the trouble to invade another player when it was a lot easier to take a neutral county. The rules were also a little confusing with regards to the trait tokens and when to take them out of the bag and remembering which character put them into the bag in the first place. I think we had bad luck with kids (looooot of uggos) which lead to a lot failed trait checks.

Overall I was kinda underwhelmed. Sad, I love the video game.

I didn't know it was even out but I was hesitant since seeing it at Gencon. But yeah, there's no way in hell they could ever incorporate 10% of what the video game has so I was curious how they'd translate it. I'll still try it if the opportunity ever arises but sounds exactly like I expected quality-wise.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

silvergoose posted:

I don't really think Wind The Film! belongs there, but I don't own it and really want to own it and don't get to play it as much as I want to, so I can see why it beat others.

I don't mean any offense, but this list comes off like one for a 60 year old man :raise:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Gami g with 60 yr olds is tight

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

I didn't know it was even out but I was hesitant since seeing it at Gencon. But yeah, there's no way in hell they could ever incorporate 10% of what the video game has so I was curious how they'd translate it. I'll still try it if the opportunity ever arises but sounds exactly like I expected quality-wise.

I've only had it out once since I got it, but the consensus was that it captures the flavour of the game pretty well. We played with three, cutting out Iberia and Britannia, and while there was next to no direct war between players there were definitely a bunch of shenanigans conducted through the event system. For example, this can be used to control other people's inheritance. I was trying to stress my second ruler to death without him producing issue to have his Genius sister take over when someone dropped an event which gave me a Halfwit child, which we all agreed was probably the most Crusader Kings thing that can possibly happen. I tried to prune the errant branch by sending him off on Crusade, but regrettably I drew a Success.

In a nutshell, the main focus of the game is not war - wars against another player can take more than a full round to start, are hugely telegraphed, and your capacity to paint the map is deliberately limited. Rather, the game is about trying to nobble your opponents through careful timing of actions. The peak is when you trigger a succession crisis so you can sweep up their territory when it shakes loose. But you can and will be rolled up by your neighbours if you ignore war completely, especially if you're the Franks.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I don't mean any offense, but this list comes off like one for a 60 year old man :raise:

I mean, if you say so. Most of that group haven't played any Simmons games or gloomhaven though.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Judge away judgers! What does this say about me? Am I terribad?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

!Klams posted:

Judge away judgers! What does this say about me? Am I terribad?

I won't presume to judge your taste in games, but my psychoanalyst take is that you definitely love mindgames and loving with people.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

and Scythe really sticks out in that group of games for the reason stated above

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Pretty proud of my top 9 honestly.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Made mine manually, so I don't know if the algorithm would say otherwise

As for CK - I like it as a beer and pretzels game. It evokes the source material in entertaining ways and smashing armies into neighbouring majors is definitely not the way to play ; conquer independents, sew discord and scoop up things that shake loose.

I don't think you need to be removing specific people's traits from your bag at any point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Tell me more about Mysthea