Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1186035686396321793 Anyway. I think he can still survive impeachment but probably at the cost of election.

"for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place."

I thought that maybe someone had gotten that through to him since he dropped "impeach Schiff!" but I guess the brain worms ate that bit recently.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I have a harder time seeing a realistic path to Trump not get removed from office than the other way around, tbh

I'd say we're still on the more likely to survive a Senate trial than be removed from office side of the odds right now. We're still at mostly anonymous sources, and only Romney and retiring Republican Congressmen speaking out publicly. The big thing is that Donny is still holding most of the base with him, and they'll primary the gently caress out of all the safe seat Senators if they betray Donny at this point.

Donny is of course doing his best to erode that party support though, so by the time the Democrats actually vote to Impeach this idiot we may have an actual chance at history.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Google Butt posted:

Can the Senate do an anonymous vote for removal or something? That would be the maximum chaos option and would also be the most upsetting for trump, which is ideal.
John Roberts could just declare this and do it this way. The Constitution is not specific in what it means to "preside" over an impeachment trial, and there isn't really anything holding Roberts to whatever Senate rules or customs they have.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Inferior Third Season posted:

John Roberts could just declare this and do it this way. The Constitution is not specific in what it means to "preside" over an impeachment trial, and there isn't really anything holding Roberts to whatever Senate rules or customs they have.

He could, but I'd rather not go around setting precedents of anonymous votes.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1186049749989892105

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1186050468499333120

i am completely convinced by this article

Pierre Delecto

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

He could, but I'd rather not go around setting precedents of anonymous votes.
The next Supreme Court chief justice presiding over a Senate impeachment trial is similarly free to define "preside over" in any drat way they please. There are no rules and precedent doesn't apply.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I love that he always wants head pats for the dumbest poo poo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

John Roberts isn't going to throw the Senate Rules out the window just to get Donny. Mitch is the guy you have to watch for sneaking a dog onto the court, Roberts you just have to make sure that nobody is faking their birth date.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Zwabu posted:

I'm going list a spectrum of actions that people may view as options to effect political change, ranging from least risky/costly to most risky/costly:

[snip]

This is good stuff. I've got myself down to owning only what I can carry - 'one person one pack' - and I've avoided any bills/jobs/obligations for half a decade now. This puts me in a position to participate in the higher-risk stuff, both in terms of having little to lose and in terms of being among the people who are discussing such tactics. The thing I emphasize when someone is pitching a high-risk action: I want to know the /strategic advantage/ of an action, before agreeing to take on a high degree of risk.

I'm one of the /less/ radical, in the circles I operate in. Back in the day, as a 'hactivist', I was among people who believed being arrested was a failure on your part - that any decent hacker can avoid detection, identification and arrest. In meatspace-afk-irl activism, it's kinda the opposite - if you haven't been arrested for nvda, you aren't really shown your commitment and you might not be trusted.

I've never been on papers; I fully expect that to change in the next year.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Gyges posted:

John Roberts isn't going to throw the Senate Rules out the window just to get Donny. Mitch is the guy you have to watch for sneaking a dog onto the court, Roberts you just have to make sure that nobody is faking their birth date.
I was answering the original question of "can" it be an anonymous vote, not whether it is likely to actually happen.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eke out posted:

Pierre Delecto

Some interesting likes he’s got there.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I was answering the original question of "can" it be an anonymous vote, not whether it is likely to actually happen.

It cannot, the Senate Rules do not allow for it and require a majority to change. The same rules define Roberts' authority.

There's not a mystery here: even if there's a larger constitutional question about what the boundaries of that authority COULD be, the current boundaries are clearly valid and that question won't be in play unless they're changed by a vote.

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 21, 2019

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

eke out posted:

Pierre Delecto

This is 99.9% Romney and on the off chance that it isn’t, it’s a really weird stalker. But it’s definitely Romney.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Gyges posted:

I'd say we're still on the more likely to survive a Senate trial than be removed from office side of the odds right now. We're still at mostly anonymous sources, and only Romney and retiring Republican Congressmen speaking out publicly. The big thing is that Donny is still holding most of the base with him, and they'll primary the gently caress out of all the safe seat Senators if they betray Donny at this point.

Donny is of course doing his best to erode that party support though, so by the time the Democrats actually vote to Impeach this idiot we may have an actual chance at history.

Yeah if the vote was held right now obviously that's what would happen. Give it weeks or months more of dirt continually being dug up and we'll see where we end up

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think it's also worth assuming that Manchin is a default No vote, rather than the default Yes vote the rest of the Democratic Caucus stands at. West Virginia is after all still in the tank for Donny. So it's possible that we'd need to flip 21 Republicans rather than just 20.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Morbus posted:

<a good, detailed post>

I think another reason we do so poorly in education in the general sense is that we're not, as a society, measuring the things we actually test for. When it comes to rote memorization and regurgitating facts and dates, our education system does that quite well. It's one of the reasons we have shows like "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?" The problem with teaching that way is, it's not a transferable or entirely useful skill, and so it ends up atrophying very quickly.

People (kids through college) are explicitly taught for the standardized tests, so critical thinking isn't just ignored, it's actively subdued. Emotional intelligence, likewise, is completely ignored in favor of teaching children how to "behave in the real world" despite ... you know, not being much like that at all. It's part of why schools are so often full of maladjusted people that can get set off to go on rampages. Neither the empathy or the critical understanding of action have been developed at all. [note: the access to guns is the larger problem, but these things aren't nothing].

So on top of everything that you said, which I agree with, even if that weren't the case we'd probably still have lower success at raising what we'd perceive to be "smart people." We make Sheldons, and then punish them because succeeding at the path we sent them on is totally undesirable in practice. And so they congregate together and make poorly thought out cliques like incels or the alt-right. It's an oversimplification, but I don't think it's a gross one.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Trump would sue the US government to make sure he gets the profits. That's why he's adding that addendum to the end.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

eke out posted:

Pierre Delecto

Pierre Delecto is my new D&D name from now on

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

eke out posted:

Pierre Delecto

I found the Twitter account and was able to browse it. Within 5 minutes it was protected and almost all tweets deleted.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Trump would sue the US government to make sure he gets the profits. That's why he's adding that addendum to the end.

No he's adding it because he knows it isn't legal to give it for free but he wants the credit for making the offer.

What would be legal would be to donate the fees to the treasury but lol that's never going to happen.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I’m really disappointed that Mitt Romney’s secret twitter account wasn’t going around liking rear end models.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Weird that he would have so much control over the arms length separated trump org that he could direct it to offer services at cost.

Surely his fail son trustees would object and insist that the government pay market rates for goods and services.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Pierre Delecto is my new D&D name from now on
Pierre Delecto should definitely be in a D&D party with John Barron and Carlos Danger.

Unfortunately, a party of nothing but Rogues isn't very balanced.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
https://twitter.com/_goldengrams/status/1186058535962136576?s=21

I like this theory because it has a painful backstory that fuels Pierre’s desire to climb back to the top of the mountain

e: nevermind this person doesn’t know what an anagram is

Slowpoke! fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 21, 2019

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m really disappointed that Mitt Romney’s secret twitter account wasn’t going around liking rear end models.

Say what you will about Mitt Romney, he is a 100% authentic Mormon Robot. Drinking Caffeine free Coke with some Tabasco sprinkled plain chicken breasts is a wild night for the guy.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Robot Hobo posted:

Pierre Delecto should definitely be in a D&D party with John Barron and Carlos Danger.

You can round out the party with Mark Esperanto, too!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Robot Hobo posted:

Don't forget to throw Ron Mexico in there.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lol the account is already hidden.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I mean no one took the “no profits” line seriously. Even the people supporting it spun it as a “he’s great as business” thing more than anything else

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

This is a direct leak from trump FYI:

https://twitter.com/danabashcnn/status/1186047600610414592?s=21

(a source “familiar with x’s thinking” is basically always x)

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

This is just Trump trying to run office like a business, where he is head hancho and no one defies him (at least to his knowledge) lest they be cast out onto the street. Well, lots of people he wants to control can't be fired and know that, or simply don't give a drat after being abused.
This is why "good business man" (something Trump wasn't anyways) does not mean "good president". Unfortunately there are a lot of right leaning voters that think the opposite is true despite countless examples it's not.

Lol, almost there, so very close. But now he'll blow past it like a comet

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

eke out posted:

It cannot, the Senate Rules do not allow for it and require a majority to change. The same rules define Roberts' authority.

There's not a mystery here: even if there's a larger constitutional question about what the boundaries of that authority COULD be, the current boundaries are clearly valid and that question won't be in play unless they're changed by a vote.

Yeah, the only feasible way a secret vote happens is if there's a majority Senate vote to change the rules, and since that vote would be public it's no different than the impeachment vote itself.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Uglycat posted:

This. Things are going to get bad. There's going to be occupations and general strikes. If we're lucky, it'll look more like Puerto Rico than Bahrain. How soon we do it, how prepared we are to do it when the time is right, effects the process and the outcome. Having people bringing awareness now will ensure it goes well later on. It's insurance against the bystander effect.

Of course, I've been pushing for that general strike since the inauguration - but I didn't have to wait for the Mueller report to have a good sense of what happened in 2016.

I think we're past time where we should pull off the sorts of direct actions you're advancing. I also see people are slow to act. I feel compelled to bring up the importance of employing a diversity of tactics, and emphasize intersectionality.

Something I've been wanting to ask you- from my observation it seems pretty clear that the IRA (among others) has straight up adopted Chanologies Playbook, right down to running stand alone complex style operations. (#learntocode was strait textbook Chanology, Qanon's initial growth spurt as well)

Do you think they figured this out on their own, they figured it out by studying ancient web 1.0 relics, or did some Chanology vets go mercenary?

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
The no profits thing is stupid because 1. Obviously he wants the profits, based on his prior actions funneling money to his hotels and golf courses, and 2. The prestige of hosting the G7 is the bigger selling point, long-term.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Prester Jane posted:

Ice Phishermen I believe we have found someone else in desperate need of your talents with a rolled up newspaper.

I need to get serious. Nothing short of the NY Times editorial section and Sunday funnies soaked in piss and overhand thrown at him would do.

The wet ink of a piss soaked Dilbert cartoon would smack into his face. Coincidentally this would be the only time that Dilbert would ever be funny.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

bobjr posted:

I mean no one took the “no profits” line seriously. Even the people supporting it spun it as a “he’s great as business” thing more than anything else

And it's dumb as hell if you think about it for 10 seconds. If a hotel is normally half full during certain months but suddenly gets to hold a giant conference instead it's going to make money. Running a hotel has a constant set of costs that don't go away if no one is there.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

evilweasel posted:

Usually it’s Maggie who has the direct line to President BigBoy though

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

evilweasel posted:

Why can't these idiots understand my mush brain firing off random tangents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Usually it’s Maggie who has the direct line to President BigBoy though

John Barron is a sophisticated man of taste, so he'll call around to find the best outlet for his scoops. Nothing like the crass Donny Trump who just goes with the quickest and easiest speed dialed reporter.