Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Epic High Five posted:

got a feeling that I'm going to need to collect myself in preparation for this day 3 Billie Jean wife encounter aren't I

No joking: Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

No joking: Yes.

thanks, I'm gonna put it off until I'm less depressed and exhausted I think

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Can you make enough money on day one to not need help with rent?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Freaking Crumbum posted:

so i did the entire alien bug quest and of course it just pops up at the end and plops a bunch of lore in your lap. i assume this is an event that doesn't happen unless you completely finish the preceding quest line before the tribunal?

also the end of the game felt really abrupt. my understanding was that i am trying to solve the murder so that i could prevent the mercs from shooting up the town, but then that happens and you 100% cannot possibly find the correct killer before the mercs shoot up the town. loving what? so now the event i was trying to prevent has happened, the gently caress do i care about solving the murder any more? is it possible to find the guy on the island and crack the case before the tribunal? because otherwise i feel like the entire set-up is a sham, which i guess is a meta-commentary on the pointless and ultimately unfulfilling nature of even playing video games? i feel like that observation has been done better in other games, so it's just a wet fart to hear it again

never found my gun. i have no idea what i would need to do to progress that particular quest line.

joyce was another lore dump, which while really cool, ultimately had very little to do with the actual plot, so it felt like another useless aside.

everybody seems so blown away though, so i'm wondering if the problem is just that i didn't do a 100% completion of every possible quest? i mean, that would still be a lovely way to pace the game but at least i could see it being a value-add for people with more free time than i

game starts strong but ultimately suffers from uneven pacing and starts to feel like it's throwing curves at you just for the sake of having curves. i give it a B- overall
The Phasmid always shows up.
As Kim said approximately 1000 times your job was to solve the murder and not get involved with the Union or White Pines. The Union conflict is basically background noise to the murder. You are a bit character in a larger story as Joyce says an unimportant place in an important time. And yes I realize this might sound like bullshit or weak or whatever :shrug:
I don't think the game is going for a meta commentary on the nature of videogames but I can see how you might think that.
The gun can be found by doing all of Evrarts tasks.
I don't think you would have liked it more had you done all the sidequests since mostly they serve as universe building or thematic tie ins

Like I posted earlier some people are going to be very displeased with the ending but its really hard to say why without massive spoilers.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 21, 2019

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Parallelwoody posted:

Yeah, on my second playthrough I went all Authority on the barkeep and got him to waive the damage fees and that night's room bill but he still wanted 30 real for my tab which I scrounged up by myself. Also on day 1 of my second playthrough I got one of those sensory pips whilst walking around the plaza outside the bar where I notice a glint of light, like sunlight reflecting off something, presumably from the scope of the old Communist on the island. Pretty neat detail you just kinda ignore on your first playthrough

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Hub Cat posted:

The Phasmid always shows up.
As Kim said approximately 1000 times your job was to solve the murder and not get involved with the Union or White Pines. The Union conflict is basically background noise to the murder. You are a bit character in a larger story as Joyce says an unimportant place in an important time. And yes I realize this might sound like bullshit or weak or whatever :shrug:
I don't think the game is going for a meta commentary on the nature of videogames but I can see how you might think that.
The gun can be found be doing all of Evrarts tasks.
I don't think you would have liked it more had you done all the sidequests since mostly they serve as universe building or thematic tie ins

if that's the case, it's a bummer that the game is not as reactive as it appears to be. i mean, of course there's entire lines of dialogue that you don't see if you don't have certain gear or thoughts or whatever, but it's all kinda useless if they all point to the same end point

in retrospect, i feel like the conversation you can have with the dice maker and the lore you can get from the abandoned shop are self-reflective commentary by the game's developers

this game seemed like it was in development limbo for five-ish years and then suddenly drops, but i wonder if the version that got released wasn't some amount of "gently caress it, these are the features and assets and elements that we got, ship it and cut our losses" whereas the fake company in the game tries to come up with that 10,000^10,000 combination game and goes out of business. kind of like "we wanted this game to be even bigger than it is, but we were smart enough to know when to pull out rather than commit the sunk costs falacy

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Wait, so I gotta worry about getting 30 Real too? poo poo I'm hosed I'm only at 20 and it's 9:30 at night.
Why am I so hosed?

~Refuses help from others. You got yourself into this mess, get yourself out.

Oh right.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

loving softlock while talking to cryptid argh

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I thought it was weird that I instantly knew that this person was the wife of a cryptozoologist, and the cryptozoologist himself before I even spoke to them, but then goddamn what a slow burn joke. :v:

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Synthbuttrange posted:

I thought it was weird that I instantly knew that this person was the wife of a cryptozoologist, and the cryptozoologist himself before I even spoke to them, but then goddamn what a slow burn joke. :v:

Wait what?

gently caress. gently caress how did I miss that one

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Parallelwoody posted:

130 Real worth of coins and postcards? Not a chance. I'm on Day 4, with high Perception which means more stuff found, and I probably have not much more than 80 Real in total from stuff just found lying around, and I've spent 40 of that on rent. I also can't seem to sell anything at the pawnshop anymore. (Is this because I persuaded the guy to sell me the boombox for 4 instead of 12?)

...And I'm stuck. WTF is this "Look for Ruby on the coast, but if you can't, go back and try to pass an "Impossible"-level roll in a obscure skill" bullshit? I actually managed to pass that check once, but even success was literally just "*skill shrugs shoulders* and not actually helpful. I *have* looked, no one has seen anything, I don't see anything.

I also don't stand much hope of opening the defrosting freezer, because all having the Prybar Mark 2 does is eliminate the -10 penalty for not having the Prybar Mark 2. Not much chance for a Physical Instrument: 3 character to pass. It's a little annoying that I can't help the high-tech technology person *as* a smart, technology-sorta-getting person, and I don't want to savescum for things I deliberately built myself to be not good at. No, I'm not starting drinking again.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 21, 2019

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I love how the question you can ask the corpse with Inland Empire (late spoilers)actually turns out to be true, in a sense.

"What killed you?"
"Communism."

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I've been focusing intellectual skills but mostly stuff like Inland Empire and Conceptualization. I'm a little worried I'm going to start hitting walls when my fantasy cop-world collides with the real one.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

130 Real worth of coins and postcards? Not a chance. I'm on Day 4, with high Perception which means more stuff found, and I probably have not much more than 80 Real in total from stuff just found lying around, and I've spent 40 of that on rent. I also can't seem to sell anything at the pawnshop anymore. (Is this because I persuaded the guy to sell me the boombox for 4 instead of 12?)

...And I'm stuck. WTF is this "Look for Ruby on the coast, but if you can't, go back and try to pass an "Impossible"-level roll in a obscure skill" bullshit? I actually managed to pass that check once, but even success was literally just "*skill shrugs shoulders* and not actually helpful. I *have* looked, no one has seen anything, I don't see anything.

I also don't stand much hope of opening the defrosting freezer, because all having the Prybar Mark 2 does is eliminate the -10 penalty for not having the Prybar Mark 2. Not much chance for a Physical Instrument: 3 character to pass. It's a little annoying that I can't help the high-tech technology person *as* a smart, technology-sorta-getting person, and I don't want to savescum for things I deliberately built myself to be not good at. No, I'm not starting drinking again.

There are many, many modifiers to the Shivers check, and a whole ton of clothing that can give a bonus. Go do quests on the coast, you are not on a time limit. Just talk to everyone.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

By the time I had the chance to roll that skill, I had enough modifiers that my chances were over 90%. Those modifiers seemed to mostly come from side stuff.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Buy up all the books and read them. A brainy detective can get a lot of xp from those

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

wiegieman posted:

There are many, many modifiers to the Shivers check, and a whole ton of clothing that can give a bonus. Go do quests on the coast, you are not on a time limit. Just talk to everyone.

This 100%, there are only a few things you can miss on a specific time limit and they are not relevant to the main plot. There is a point of no return but the game makes it absolutely clear when its going to happen and it is not time related.
The biggest missable that I've noticed is talking to the old guys playing in the crater

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 21, 2019

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

PantsBandit posted:

I've been focusing intellectual skills but mostly stuff like Inland Empire and Conceptualization. I'm a little worried I'm going to start hitting walls when my fantasy cop-world collides with the real one.

Conceptualization seemed to get a fair amount of active skill checks throughout the entire game, along with Empathy and Suggestion

IE and Shivers and Perception felt like they were firing passive checks all the drat time, but barely ever came up as active check options

i think every skill in the game has at least 1 "Impossible" or "Legendary" skill challenge just for completeness sake, but there's definitely certain skills that seem to get called wayyyyyy more than others

i started as a 4/2/4/2 detective and after the second day, the number of active fitness checks seemed to drop off significantly

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I think everyone is going to have a bit of a bias towards whatever stats they have pumped on their first time through, because it feels like a lot of the passive checks don't even show up in dialogue unless you have a certain number of points in it.
I'm doing a 4-1-1-6 build right now, and red passive checks(and voices) are almost completely absent.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Regarding Volition and Endurance skill checks: did anyone notice if your character being damaged affects the roll?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

frajaq posted:

Regarding Volition and Endurance skill checks: did anyone notice if your character being damaged affects the roll?

Yes

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

wiegieman posted:

I've got +9 worth of modifiers (including the special phone call, no negative mods), and an additional +2 from clothing, which gives me a 58% chance.

I have one free skill point. I've done almost all the sidequests I can find. One of the remaining says "it'll take a while", two others require me to pass a Physical Instrument check which is even worse, so my prospects for getting more skill points right now are slim.

I'm just saying that the game has been promoted, players have been saying, "don't worry, build how you want", and "failing checks is okay", then - unless I'm missing something - the game railroads you here so that there is only one way to proceed.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

k, I am going to steer to The Last Dream even though I haven't finished the case because I think I have a much better order of narrative in my mind to do stuff and I just want to see how bad for you an incomplete ending can be. Are there any triggers or should I just kill the rest of this day and straight to bed?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Finished the game and wow, what a great lovingly crafted experience. Especially the skill check to have a conversation with the phasmid at the end. It was just so emotional and really felt personally to me like the big payoff in my project to try and "fix"/save Harry. The music track there was also fantastic. The music all round was fantastic.
It's been a really poo poo and depressing year in terms of gaming i think and to get a absolute gem like this at the tail end of the year feels really indescribably good. There are still good games being made.

Only question i have is regarding the victims armor: Can you find the leggings and avoid being shot in the legs? If so, what happens at the Tribunal then?

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 21, 2019

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Alright. I finished the game at just under 30 hours. I'm a slow reader and playing on what is probably the lowest requirements for the game. My laptop is super hot and the game ran pretty slow. Once I get better hardware I'm gonna do a couple more playthroughs.

It was so worth the hassle though. I love this game and everything about it. I haven't even finished a game in a *while*.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dongattack posted:

Finished the game and wow, what a great lovingly crafted experience. Especially the skill check to have a conversation with the phasmid at the end. It was just so emotional and really felt personally to me like the big payoff in my project to try and "fix"/save Harry. The music track there was also fantastic. The music all round was fantastic.
It's been a really poo poo and depressing year in terms of gaming i think and to get a absolute gem like this at the tail end of the year feels really indescribably good. There are still good games being made.

Only question i have is regarding the victims armor: Can you find the leggings and avoid being shot in the legs? If so, what happens at the Tribunal then?

re: your second question (late game spoilers) it doesn't do anything. Greaves only go up to your knee, and you're shot in the thigh.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Dongattack posted:

:same:

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Grapplejack posted:

re: your second question (late game spoilers) it doesn't do anything. Greaves only go up to your knee, and you're shot in the thigh.

To go further I rolled double 6s one time and still got shot by the second shot even with the boots on

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How high was your authority stat? D:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I just started and don't know what I am doing, but I think I might have hosed myself. I jumped across a gap to the docks, and talked to the fat man. He mentions my gun, which instantly kills my poor 1 morale default thinker character. I don't seem to be able to go back and do other things either. How screwed am I?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

I just started and don't know what I am doing, but I think I might have hosed myself. I jumped across a gap to the docks, and talked to the fat man. He mentions my gun, which instantly kills my poor 1 morale default thinker character. I don't seem to be able to go back and do other things either. How screwed am I?

If you have any morale boosting health thingos, you can click them the moment you take damage all up to the point where you have a psychotic break

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Filthy Monkey posted:

You're fine. Take a different approach. Talk to someone else. Investigate other things.

Oh. The end of your post. Uhhhhhhh.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Eat The Rich posted:

You're fine. Take a different approach. Talk to someone else. Investigate other things.
I don't even know who else I can talk to. The door off the docks seems to be locked. There is only the easy-guy, who I have exhausted my conversations with, and my partner.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Filthy Monkey posted:

I don't even know who else I can talk to. The door off the docks seems to be locked. There is only the easy-guy, who I have exhausted my conversations with, and my partner.

You can accumulate enough morale healers to finish that convo safely. Get 3. They are all over the place.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Filthy Monkey posted:

If you enter the office at night, there is a card that lets you out of the area at the coffee machine, see if it's there at your point.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
Finished the game this morning, just finished my second playthrough. Amazing piece of work, massive props to the devs. Can't believe I hadn't heard of this before my husband randomly mentioned seeing it on twitter, this was incredibly good.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think the biggest question the game presents is: The Pale is going to swallow the world eventually. Is this *disco* or *not disco*?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i think i would have rather the game be set on actual earth, except obviously things are different (*cough* the pale *cough*) than have the game be set on an entirely different world that is artificially similar to earth but historically different from first principles. having to ingest so much of the fantasy "this guy begat this guy who begat this guy who begat etc." was painful, like going too deep into J.R.R. Tolkien lore and reading the silmarillion and just being overwhelmed with all of the fake history that doesn't matter almost at all for anything in the game. if anything, it took me out of the action to have to mentally try and parse all of the fake history every time it came up

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Arglebargle III posted:

I think the biggest question the game presents is: The Pale is going to swallow the world eventually. Is this *disco* or *not disco*?

It definitely is, funky baby.

Also, wtf at all you namby pamby clean-shaven fools crying about one dead guy.

It'll be fine, and its an appropriate time to have a drink or two.