Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

muscles like this! posted:

That too, motherfucker made 3 good movies in a 50 year career.
Yeah he clearly peaked with Apocalypse Now (which is of course, great) but he never got anywhere near that height ever again.

I know The Cotton Club was a big expensive flop and I think that cost him a lot of goodwill

Then there's whatever Godfather Part 3 was supposed to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

muscles like this! posted:

Its been 22 years since Coppola had a major theatrical release. Nobody should be listening to anything he says about the current state of movies. Even his producing credits are pretty sparse.
Yeah but he's from the time movies were movies you know man; even if a lot of those directors were massive assholes and abused their performers all the time

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I thought The Batman had some interesting ideas even if it wasn't the greatest show top to bottom. Once they got a Robin and then started building to a Justice League though, I'll fight for all of that.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

I can’t stop giggling at Coppola calling Marvel movies ‘disgusting’, what a silly world we live in.

The franchise features a comedy scene of a child soldier using a drone to almost blow up a school bus. His mentor, the inventor of the global drone murder network, rants and raves about how they should have let him build the wall and gets a tearful send off after genociding an alien race that are all conscripted slaves as far as he knows.

Probably not what he meant, though. As an auteur, he probably thinks its pretty disgusting that like 40% of each movie is shot by some studio stooge and not the actual director.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Batman's Joker was cool because Kevin Michael Richardson is a great VA.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Arist posted:

The Batman's Joker was cool because Kevin Michael Richardson is a great VA.

Yeah, once they changed his outfit he was perfectly fine. I'll also go to bat for that show, because I loved the way the art style looked on the later seasons.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Never watched The Batman, but it doesn’t help being sandwiched between BTAS and Batman: Brave and the Bold.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

JT Smiley posted:

I loved the way the art style looked on the later seasons.
That's the thing, the first season or two was pretty dire. Toyetic isn't even a description as much as it was a keystone of the thing: the damned batmobile had a mobile LCD thing that used ultrasonic signals from the broadcast to download/unlock poo poo (like characters or somefuck) so it was like Bat Pokemon when you were encouraged to watch with your toys because you'd get cool things.

Once all that nonsense went away, and they brought in secondary characters, it found some ok footing.

But man, when they whiffed character designs they whiffed hard.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Just to be clear, I think it’s cool that Coppola said that, it’s funny and trying to sledge him for his output is really dumb.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

FilthyImp posted:

That's the thing, the first season or two was pretty dire. Toyetic isn't even a description as much as it was a keystone of the thing: the damned batmobile had a mobile LCD thing that used ultrasonic signals from the broadcast to download/unlock poo poo (like characters or somefuck) so it was like Bat Pokemon when you were encouraged to watch with your toys because you'd get cool things.

Once all that nonsense went away, and they brought in secondary characters, it found some ok footing.

But man, when they whiffed character designs they whiffed hard.

Clayface worked. Batgirl worked, Robin was pretty standard, Riddler was weird as hell, Bane really missed the mark.

That voice cast though, drat was there talent just left right and center.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Clayface was some legit interesting body horror poo poo, and I respect that they didn't just do what every other adaptation does and steal Mr. Freeze's better origin from BTAS even if it made him less compelling.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

gently caress, I forgot that The Batman turned Killer Croc into a full-on anthropomorphic crocodile complete with snout and tail, that show owned lol

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Open Marriage Night posted:

Never watched The Batman, but it doesn’t help being sandwiched between BTAS and Batman: Brave and the Bold.

I miss Brave and the Bold.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Brave and the Bold was so drat good.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Never saw it, was that the one where Aquaman was like a macho show tune singing dude?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Scaramouche posted:

Never saw it, was that the one where Aquaman was like a macho show tune singing dude?
Yup.
The VAs are great and the character design is a nice throwback to the 40s. The plots are nice and fun and even get half serious now and again.

You should really watch it. Their final episode was basically the show being cancelled due to BatMite getting bored, instituting a bunch of bad cartoon changes to tank it (Ted McGinley comes on as a replacement Aquaman Voice, Batman gets a smart-rear end talking Action Sled partner. Etc). At the end, Bader's Batman addresses the audience and basically says hey, we had a great run. We all loved doing this. But now it's time for something else to come around. And that's ok. Just remember the Hammers of Justice and all the fun we had. See you around.

It was a really sweet way to close the series off.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 21, 2019

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dan Didio posted:

Just to be clear, I think it’s cool that Coppola said that, it’s funny and trying to sledge him for his output is really dumb.

I had to sit through Jack and Godfather Part 3 post-70's Coppola can take a few lumps online as far as I'm concerned

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

I had to sit through Jack and Godfather Part 3 post-70's Coppola can take a few lumps online as far as I'm concerned

That’s cool, but there are folks saying he shouldn’t be listened to about films because he peaked with Apocalypse Now, which is more what I’m getting at.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dan Didio posted:

That’s cool, but there are folks saying he shouldn’t be listened to about films because he peaked with Apocalypse Now, which is more what I’m getting at.

Oh yeah, that's silly.

I think maybe more pertinent take is that the dude who made Bram Stoker's Dracula coming out against movies that aren't high art is a little weird.

(And don't me wrong I love that movie but holy poo poo is it trashy as hell)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m not a huge fan but it’s pretty drat arty.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I mean, i can't lie I'm fairly unconcerned about the opinions of a guy who's last good movie was 40 years ago

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Scaramouche posted:

Aqua man was absolutely the best part of a show filled with great parts.

Also agreed re: the final episode and its perfect foil for Bat-mite: Ambush Bug..."Aren't you a little obscure even for this show?"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

I mean, i can't lie I'm fairly unconcerned about the opinions of a guy who's last good movie was 40 years ago

SAME.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Apparently a couple of his newer movies are pretty interesting. I could only get a hold of Twixt, which wasn't so great besides the novelty of a bloated, ponytailed Val Kilmer.

edit: And the implication the Dracula isn't wonderful is very offensive :colbert:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 21, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOUVVDWdXbo

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm glad they gave away the initial twist in the trailer itself considering they do the same in the comic's first issue.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

HALO ANNOUNCER (VO:) BLOODSHOT

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Dan Didio posted:

Fun fact. Capola, when he made Apocalypse Now didn't want to just release that film.
He wanted to create a mobile cinema created just to screen it that would tour the country, with a home base version people would visit all year round.
He envisioned it like a modern version of the Grand Canyon, a man made tourist attraction.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That movie also didn't come out with beginning or end credits. You were given a playbill at the theater with the credits in there.
I think coming hot off of the first two Godfathers gives you licence to get a little insane and self important :)

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

Fun fact. Capola, when he made Apocalypse Now didn't want to just release that film.
He wanted to create a mobile cinema created just to screen it that would tour the country, with a home base version people would visit all year round.
He envisioned it like a modern version of the Grand Canyon, a man made tourist attraction.

That is a fun fact, I did not know that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bloodshot looks a little generic but I'll still be out there day 1.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Both the Coppola and Scorsese comments look like publicists trying to reposition these Grand Old Men as still-relevant uncompromising defenders of old cinema, to deflect from the fact that Scorsese's latest is a Netflix original that possibly won't be airing in theatres, and Coppola is trying to adapt Apocalypse Now into a videogame (and Megalopolis, which will be bigger and more EPIC than the Apocalypse Now extended cut...)

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Oct 21, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They are two talented men who's work will outlive them and always be relevant cinema even if they themselves are no longer relevant.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

More like someone went to their Irishman press interview needing to get some clickbait.

I've got my theatrical ticket for da Irishman :cool:
im mostly doing that so ill be forced to see it in one sitting. i know at home itd take me like three days

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Also https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/black-panther-early-cut-was-screened-francis-ford-coppola-1108741

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I always though the only thing loving up Bram Stoker's Dracula was the acting. Now, admittedly, that's a huge thing and basically ruined the movie but I still enjoyed it. Coppola also cast his daughter in GF3 and she delivered one of the worst acting performances I've ever seen. Not sure why Francis can't spot lovely acting and god awful accents

I liked Apocalypse Now also but not as much as most people and actually find it a little boring for large parts. Looking over his filmography, I think you can make the argument that Coppola is overrated.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Everyone acknowledges that he made some mediocre and some crap, but you can't take The Godfather and The Conversation away from him. He has some definitely underrated/underseen movies in his middle period too (see the previous poster claiming he hasn't had a good movie since 1979)

I wish he'd rerelease One From The Heart instead of Apocalypse Now for the second time.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Oct 21, 2019

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Not a single shot of him looking like the Japanese flag. :sigh:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Coppola has continued to create good cinema insomuchas he produced Sophia Coppola and his brother produced Nicholas Cage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Coppola has continued to create good cinema insomuchas he produced Sophia Coppola and his brother produced Nicholas Cage

I...didn’t know Coppola was Cage’s uncle. Like...what?

Hollywood really is incestuous as gently caress.