Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Have they been playing this Carl Weathers commercial all weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

Can't wait for all the decks oppressed by fields that neuter Oko to come out in style, like - Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory.

GW adventure tokens is the only thing that qualifies, but that's assuming that Oko decks can't adapt if they don't have to deal with field themselves.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
With fields gone people can actually do stuff like play removal / counters and maybe a control deck can actually make an appearance - well, until everyone goes back to jamming 4x Teferi in every deck.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Man if this is one of Golos's worse matchups then there's just no way Field survives - the games Javier wins are relying in a series of topdecks both early and late, or the Golos player making a missequence.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Kinda glad I got my golos and field for commander before they took off.

I fully expect Wizards to ban something incidental to golos field like circuitous route., and nothing else.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
gruul needs two series to do it but its about to do it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
wotc still does paper PTs (MCs), right?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 21, 2019

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Embercleave is a sweet card

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
My pre-release promo was Embercleave, I hope I can sell it for like 50 dollars now

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Javier won with Gruul but it was still not a good deck for the tournament.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Man if this is one of Golos's worse matchups then there's just no way Field survives - the games Javier wins are relying in a series of topdecks both early and late, or the Golos player making a missequence.

yea the matchup looks awful on paper but golos gets a huge win % boost from how inconsistent gruul is.

anyone who says their deck "crushes" golos is a liar.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

He barely squeaked by against Golos, presumably one of his better matchups, both in the upper bracket match and in that final match.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

if you're dead-set against playing golos for whatever reason it was a good choice. the best anti-golos decks are gruul, mono red, and u/g flash, and gruul is the only one out of those that doesn't have a dogshit matchup against the u/g midrange nonsense that people are going to insist on playing

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 21, 2019

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

little munchkin posted:

if you're dead-set against playing golos for whatever reason it was a good choice. the best anti-golos decks are gruul, mono red, and u/g flash, and gruul is the only one out of those that doesn't have a dogshit matchup against the u/g midrange nonsense that people are going to insist on player

Eh, I think the knights deck is better than flash in the matchup. Just barely anyway.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sickening posted:

Eh, I think the knights deck is better than flash in the matchup. Just barely anyway.

knights is ok but it has way too few ways to push through damage once the zombies come out to chump block. also the lack of hasty stuff makes it so that spot removal out of the sideboard is backbreaking

for the record i don't actually think flash is that good either

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Sickening posted:

Knights looked nonfunctional in the matches I saw.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

little munchkin posted:

if you're dead-set against playing golos for whatever reason it was a good choice. the best anti-golos decks are gruul, mono red, and u/g flash, and gruul is the only one out of those that doesn't have a dogshit matchup against the u/g midrange nonsense that people are going to insist on playing

I think Ken's Mardu knights build was much better if you wanted to embercleave people, and probably the best deck for the tournament overall.

Hellsau posted:

He barely squeaked by against Golos, presumably one of his better matchups, both in the upper bracket match and in that final match.

His whole tournament was barely squeeking by. He went 4-3 day one, in on breakers, 4-3 day two, in on breakers for the single slot.

I do think the decision to play Once Upon a Time makes the Gruul deck better despite what was starting to be conventional wisdom heading into the tournament.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Rumors are circulating around about a new format called Pioneer. RTR-on.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ShaneB posted:

That would be loving random.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

ShaneB posted:

I've been thinking something like this would happen, but I was thinking Tarkir-on.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sickening posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZn62fsXvOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sickening posted:

That’s when their print runs went way up right?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Considering that khans fetches would be in, that would mean a guarantee of the other fetches in standard in the future.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

some people like fetches in their eternal formats, some people don't.

let's split the difference and make a new format where only half of them are legal.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Sickening posted:

Considering that khans fetches would be in, that would mean a guarantee of the other fetches in standard in the future.

nah, they'd just do pioneer horizons in 4 years with $10 packs with the ZEN fetches at mythic.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Retromancer posted:

some people like fetches in their eternal formats, some people don't.

let's split the difference and make a new format where only half of them are legal.

That was the case for the first three years of Modern.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
They could just pre-ban the fetches.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

whydirt posted:

They could just pre-ban the fetches.

And maybe 30 other cards.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Boy I would love another format to randomly jack up prices.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

hell yeah i hope this is as successful as Frontier was

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So what's going to spike?

Torrential Gearhulk
The Scarab God
Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

What else?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Is this supposed to be an actual Wizards-official format, or is it invented and pushed by a third-party singles retailer a la Frontier and Tiny Leaders?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Jabor posted:

Is this supposed to be an actual Wizards-official format, or is it invented and pushed by a third-party singles retailer a la Frontier and Tiny Leaders?

Wizards, supposedly.

I guess after they broke modern they're shrugging and giving up and making a new format without mox opal.

Supposedly.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Anyway, I assume Deathrite Shaman goes up if there's finally a format he's unbanned in.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Star Man posted:

So what's going to spike?

Torrential Gearhulk
The Scarab God
Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

What else?

Last hope probably would see a bump. I would think some rares that makeup old decks from RTR standard would see some spiking. Baby jace again. The commands become pretty premium again. Collected company.

Jabor posted:

Anyway, I assume Deathrite Shaman goes up if there's finally a format he's unbanned in.

I can't see it being a card they let in the wild in a new format.

To be honest I would think any card that is banned in modern from that era be auto included in the list.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
i too have a lot of questions about this new format that only exists in some guys clickbait youtube video

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

little munchkin posted:

i too have a lot of questions about this new format that only exists in some guys clickbait youtube video

Its a new format in WER. That is a very WOTC way to leak a new format.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

gruul is a very fun deck that can just outright lose to mana so i dont think it's good enough to counter anything

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I don't understand why we need a new eternal format just to try to erase the power cards printed during the Dubya administration.

The Legacy banlist is still longer than the Modern banlist, and that's even if you exclude the ante cards, dexterity cards, and conspiracies. The eccentricities of Modern have prevented cards that were peeled off of its banlist like Stoneforge Mystic, Bloodbraid Elf, and Jace, the Mind Sculptor in the last year from being the terrors that they all were in their days in Standard. Modern's banlist is mostly made up with cards that accelerate a combo or are lynch pins to their combo, while a few are just utterly degenerate like Umezawa's Jitte. Cards like Mox Opal and Mox Amber seem to fit into that group.

If Wizards does announce Pioneer as a paper format and their argument is that cards from Return to Ravnica and later are easier to obtain, then that's a complete lie when they have the power to print cards whenever they want to. They'll just do the exact same thing again with Pioneer and make it hard to access by refusing to reprint power cards necessary for competitive play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

little munchkin posted:

I heard info about it from 2 people in different circles who have more interesting connections than I do, before that video was made. It's definitely (probably) real. I don't care about being first to mention it here, because I heard about it from other people myself. I only want to save my magic associates here some cash if they wanna grab some cards a little early.