Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I bought a California Air Tools compressor and the thing is crazy quiet. It may be out of your price range but if you ever have thought your compressor is too drat loud, you might look into them. Worth the money to be able to listen to music and hear yourself think while working in my opinion.

E: I just looked up the one I have (8 gallon) and I apparently got it like 60% off on sale because they are crazy expensive.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Never tried to repair a microwave before. If a microwave now takes 3 minutes to heat something that always heated in 2 minutes--that is a sign the magnetron is going bad? Part of a double oven that is a 2014/15 era Kichenaid, which I believe is a rebranded Whirlpool.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

SpartanIvy posted:

I bought a California Air Tools compressor and the thing is crazy quiet. It may be out of your price range but if you ever have thought your compressor is too drat loud, you might look into them. Worth the money to be able to listen to music and hear yourself think while working in my opinion.

E: I just looked up the one I have (8 gallon) and I apparently got it like 60% off on sale because they are crazy expensive.

D'oh, misread your post, thought it said there was currently a 60% off sale!

Thanks for the suggestion. They definitely look nice but the price point + functionality is higher then what I need for garage projects and occasionally driving 16 gauge nails to be honest. The noise doesn't really bother me; I just slip on ear pro and ride the wave. Not that I want something super loud of course...

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

SpartanIvy posted:

They also make models with aluminum tanks that are lighter and don't rust.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've heard if you can get an oiled compressor they are a lot quieter.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

HycoCam posted:

Make roadie boxes / put big casters on your cabinets. Move them across the room or across town with ease. No need to break them down, just stuff your bedding or towels in there when you move. :)

give me road cases, a box truck, and a crew, and I will move the world.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I just discovered this thread so I'm cross posting from the Haunted House Ownership Thread.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Sorry to double post, but what do people know about insulation under the floor in the crawlspace? Essentially putting batts between the joists and keeping the floor above warm as the crawlspace cools off.

My floor is cold as poo poo in the winter, but the internet seems greatly divided on this topic. Lots of sites are saying to just seal off the crawlspace (never!) because fiber baits are useless.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I'm curious about this as well.. my floor is quite cold in the winter. And my heater vents are ceiling mounted which probably doesn't help.

I had wondered if insulating the floor would help any.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm not sure how it wouldn't help.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I have a toilet that was running so I replaced all the tank innards. It’s still running, though not as much. No external leaks. Before I go out and replace everything again, is there anything I can do to help seal it?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

stevewm posted:

I'm curious about this as well.. my floor is quite cold in the winter. And my heater vents are ceiling mounted which probably doesn't help.

I had wondered if insulating the floor would help any.

I'm going to be silly and answer my own question. I spent the last 24 hours researching this question and came upon a lot of analysis back and forth on how crawlspace insulation should work. The best site to summarize the whole thing is this one: https://www.buildingscience.com/documents/insights/bsi-009-new-light-in-crawlspaces?topic=resources/cond-crawlspaces

The short summary of that page is that old-style vented crawlspaces are working as intended when they are left uninsulated since warm humid air entering the colder crawlspace is going to condense somewhere. Uninsulated the joists and subfloor of the crawlspace will always be significantly warmer than the soil of the ground, so moisture will condense on the soil rather than on the wood. Since the actual air movement into crawlspaces is relatively low, most heat transfer going on in there is through radiation and conduction through the wood of the floor, so even on hot days the crawlspace will be cooler than the outside air (thus leading to condensation no matter what), but more importantly on cooler days the subfloor should be warmer than the soil (because the subfloor is being warmed by conduction from the warmer home).

This all goes to poo poo the moment you slap insulation batts on your subfloor. Now the warmth from your home is not making it's way down into the joists below the subfloor, which might seem good since that's kind of the point of insulating it, but now the bottom of the insulation and any wood sticking out below where the insulation stops is going to be significantly colder and will likely be closer in temperature to the soil floor. Moisture entering the crawlspace will now condense both on the soil as well as on the bottom of the insulation and that colder wood. If the insulation is cellulose or fiber this moisture will start loving it up and making it moldy, and your wood will also start to get moldy. Even worse, since the wood higher up in the house (above the insulation) is warmer it will also be dryer which will basically cause the moisture below to wick up into the protected wood, and onto the bottom of your floors.

So essentially the price you pay for a properly dry crawlspace is both cold floors in the winter and loosing a lot of heat/cold from ductwork that is in the crawlspace.

The take-away is that at the minimum to properly insulate your crawlspace you actually need to put up batts and then spray foam a thick layer over the the batts AND the wood so that moisture cannot access it (a moisture barrier), or use an insulation system that covers the wood and is not susceptible to being degraded by moisture (there is a suggestion of the type of insulation to use on that site). The actual no-poo poo best path seems to be completely encapsulating your crawlspace with the help of real professionals that will install sump pumps and proper sheeting to wick moisture out of the crawlspace. Ideally you want to insulate the WALLS of the crawlspace and not the floor.

That's my professional assessment from 24 hours of reading the internet. Take it with a grain of salt.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

dupersaurus posted:

I have a toilet that was running so I replaced all the tank innards. It’s still running, though not as much. No external leaks. Before I go out and replace everything again, is there anything I can do to help seal it?

if it's running, and not going down the overflow, your flush stopper is leaking, so if you replaced it, the seat might be bad and need replacement/repair.

https://www.korky.com/products/flapper-seal-replacements-flush-valve-replacements/2-universal-flush-valve-repair-kit-0

if it's running and going down the overflow, you need to adjust the fill valve to stop at a lower level.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Anonymous Zebra posted:

That's my professional assessment from 24 hours of reading the internet. Take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks for that link. It's quite the interesting read.

I kinda like the idea of encapsulating the crawlspace and making it a mini basement. More usable space. My crawlspace is quite high (I can stand up bent over in it). It could be a useful storage space...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Anyone here have plaster experience? I've got some plaster of Paris I've used before and always remembered that poo poo getting rock-hard within a half day or so. Like if I wanted to carve something into it, I needed to act pretty fast before it became so hard that even metal tools had trouble etching it.

I just used a very old box of plaster of paris and the first thing I noticed was that it was a little lumpy so I mixed it extra good. Another new thing I noticed was what looked like steam rising off of it after I poured it, never seen that before. It's 24 hour later and I've de-molded them a couple hours after they went in but they are still incredibly weak and chalky just like when I de-molded them.

Has my plaster gone bad?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Anyone know how to figure out / change the combination to an old safe?

The previous owners left this in our house when they moved out. It's open, but we'd like to use it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I have a Frigidaire gas oven that is about 6 years old. I just replaced the ignition (ignighter?) for the second time in 5 years. Is this a sign that the whole thing should be replaced sooner or later? FWIW I think all the appliances that came with my home were Contractor Specials or refurbished just due to minor performance annoyances.

If it should be replaced, can you typically install an electric oven where a gas oven was, or is that usually a major change? I know the oven needs to plug into electricity, but I'm not sure if it's a high enough voltage back there.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

CzarChasm posted:

I have a Frigidaire gas oven that is about 6 years old. I just replaced the ignition (ignighter?) for the second time in 5 years. Is this a sign that the whole thing should be replaced sooner or later?

No; ignitors go. I have the same Kenmore gas range I bought in 1994. Have replaced 3 of 4 burner ignitors and at least one for the range. When the PC board goes, it's time for a new unit - mostly because mine is NLA (along with most of the other parts) .

Be mindful that the oven ignitor head is very, very brittle & sensitive to cracking at the slightest shock. If it's dropped it's usually totaled; if it still works, its life can be shortened significantly (although five years is not too bad, depending on frequency of use).

CzarChasm posted:

If it should be replaced, can you typically install an electric oven where a gas oven was, or is that usually a major change? I know the oven needs to plug into electricity, but I'm not sure if it's a high enough voltage back there.

You have to run a 10-gauge 220V line, preferably 10/3 and also preferably a straight shot from the panel, up/down through the floor or wall, and terminate in a proper 220V receptacle.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 21, 2019

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Goon Danton posted:

Anyone know how to figure out / change the combination to an old safe?

The previous owners left this in our house when they moved out. It's open, but we'd like to use it.

Hire a locksmith.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If you can figure out the maker and the serial number you can try looking up the manufacturer for information on how to figure this out of reset it.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I want to replace my clawfoot tub with a standard modern one. The bathroom doesn't have an alcove, does anyone make traditional size/shape corner tubs, or will I have to frame out a little wall for an alcove tub to fit against?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Create a Facebook ad selling the claw foot to anyone in your area that follows hgtv and make a million dollars.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

The Dave posted:

Create a Facebook ad selling the claw foot to anyone in your area that follows hgtv and make a million dollars.

It's just an acrylic one the former owner put in when he "remodeled" the bathroom, but I'll still probably be able to get a couple hundred for it. It'll help fix some of his screw-ups.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Toebone posted:

I want to replace my clawfoot tub with a standard modern one. The bathroom doesn't have an alcove, does anyone make traditional size/shape corner tubs, or will I have to frame out a little wall for an alcove tub to fit against?

2-wall bathtubs were never very popular. Most corner tubs now are the big 5-sided ones that are more triangle shaped. You could always do a drop in tub with 2 sides.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kid sinister posted:

Hire a locksmith.

Seconding. With access to the back of the door, changing the lock out should be pretty simple, and relatively inexpensive.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Toebone posted:

you can get "modern" looking freestanders

https://www.us.kohler.com/us/starga...&brandId=964943

but the cheapest route would probably to build the knee wall and slide a standard 3-wall tub into the hole.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Qwijib0 posted:

you can get "modern" looking freestanders

https://www.us.kohler.com/us/starga...&brandId=964943

but the cheapest route would probably to build the knee wall and slide a standard 3-wall tub into the hole.

Step 1: Pull up the subfloor and notch the engineered joists

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Step 2: Install the waste line and don't check the slope.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

HycoCam posted:

Never tried to repair a microwave before.
I guess you have some background like being an electrician or something? And you know how to unload a high voltage capacitor?
If not, don't. Anything. Microwaves are one of the worst things for DIY repair projects.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

RabbitWizard posted:

I guess you have some background like being an electrician or something? And you know how to unload a high voltage capacitor?
If not, don't. Anything. Microwaves are one of the worst things for DIY repair projects.

Now that CRTs aren't really a thing anymore I think you're right that Microwaves have taken over as the most dangerous possible DIY projects.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

RabbitWizard posted:

What this little thing?

I did one worse and wired up the transform to some alligator clamps :science:

Honestly though, microwaves are not worth repairing. It is usually a piece that cost almost as much as a replacement.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

RabbitWizard posted:

Yeah. I opened mine up as it'd been stepped on by a builder. I opened it, clocked the capacitor so I wouldn't touch it, checked that the dent hadn't touched anything important, and hammered the cover back to shape. That's as much "repair" as I was willing to do.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

JEEVES420 posted:

What this little thing?

Honestly though, microwaves are not worth repairing. It is usually a piece that cost almost as much as a replacement.

Seconding.

I had to drill out rivets, just to open the case to replace the light bulb.

And yes, it was screwed into a socket, why do you ask?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

JEEVES420 posted:

What this little thing?

That's where it keeps the magic blue smoke that should be heating my hot pockets :colbert:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

JEEVES420 posted:

When mine went cold I swapped in a new magnetron for $60 and that sure as hell beat the prices I was looking at to replace an over the stove model with outdoor venting.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

JEEVES420 posted:

What this little thing?

That's called the ouchy part.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
We've been looking into possibilities for creating a fence to block out some of the sound of the highway and my wife saw something about using Hardie Panel with pressure-treated pine posts. We don't know how to determine whether posts will put up with the level of bullshit we're planning to subject to them. We'd be creating quite a bit of structure using 2x4's inside that is then sheathed with Hardie Panel. I mean, theoretically here. We haven't even figured out what we would do right at ground level because the projects we saw for this don't address that either. But I'm trying to get an idea of how I would take, say, psi data about these posts and determine how well they would put up with:

1. The 2x4's going between them that's holding structure to secure the Hardie Panels.
2. The Hardie Panels themselves.
3. The load of wind against the fence.

We were gunning for 6x6's on the notion that 4x4's were wobbly based on one particular video, but they weren't framing out as much as we were planning to do.

If you were more generally curious, we've been looking at other schemes, but it looks like external Hardie Panels are something like half the cost here than they were something like two years ago and it's all adding up to be cheaper if we can make that work somehow.

Edit: IMO this scheme is a bit out there and I don't know how it would reach to the ground (to block out every last bit of sound) without rotting but I'm doing the math for my wife who looked this all up today and wanted to think about it. I got enough other crazy schemes going on lol.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 22, 2019

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It's hard to offer advice and suggestions without a general lay of your land vs. the sound source as well as the size of the area you're trying to span, and its distance from your house

BUT

A marvelous muffler of sound can be made by planting a poo poo-ton of shrubbery/trees across the line of source. One of the best would be evergreen trees in two staggered rows; however, arbor vitae, English yew & other such medium-height greens work well.

If you find that a fence with Hardie boards is your best solution, and ytou require an immediate impact, use shrubbery at the bottom.

FYI I sided my garage with Hardie clapboard siding and ran it all the way to grade (which is not recommended). That was in 2004. It's been fine...however, I also have 2' deep eaves on my garage roof. It has gotten wet, but hasn't deteriorated.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

These are a great tree for privacy and sound deadening, but if you have deer in your yard frequently, it can be a bad choice. Deer will eat everything on the tree they can reach, and leave your arborvitaes looking like mushrooms.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I have an old building with an original door we're updating with a new, dual-layered tempered glass piece - one big piece that will replace many small single glass panes (one of which is broken and the wrong size).

Anyway, the glass panes are held in place by wood "trim" that goes around them. It's old and anyway, we're going to have one big glass assembly now. I was wondering what exactly the wood "trim" on the inside of a door that holds glass in place is called? I need to find and buy some, but damned if it's not hard to find out what it's called. If I search for window trim or molding, it's invariably the stuff that goes around the frame of the door.

In the case anybody knowledgeable on exterior doors is able to answer, are there any dos or don'ts for painting an exterior door that are worth mentioning? Is it necessary to apply a clear coat after applying exterior paint or is that a preference thing?

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am not any kind of expert but I am desperate to avoid my actual work so I spent some time digging around, and I think that the term you would be looking for is a 'stop'. Seems like it would be called with a 'window stop' or a 'glass stop', not sure if there is a specific difference in application or just a variation in terms. A similar thing is called a 'glazing bead', but I think this is only fitted to aluminum windows and not a wooden frame like you are asking about.

Here are some links I found - that last one is about windows rather than doors but seems similar enough.

Edit: Functionally, I think this is basically the same as a very small/narrow trim so you might want to look for a small size of trim or moulding, maybe under cabinetry trim for the appropriate size?

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 22, 2019