Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to get my rig to be as quiet as possible (sleeping kids) and a while back picked up a Bugera PS1 (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PS1Atten--bugera-ps1-passive-100-watt-power-attenuator). Is the emulated mic output on these the same as a load box or IR? My assumption is no because I can't find anything that indicates this is more than a power soak. What I would like is the ability to use my Marshall head without requiring the speaker. Given the price range between a PS1 all the way to a UA OX I'm trying to figure out what my options are.

Another option that I am considering is the Suhr reactive load IR (https://www.suhr.com/electronics/tone-tools/reactive-load-ir/) which is more mid-range in terms of price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ferg posted:

I'm trying to get my rig to be as quiet as possible (sleeping kids) and a while back picked up a Bugera PS1 (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PS1Atten--bugera-ps1-passive-100-watt-power-attenuator). Is the emulated mic output on these the same as a load box or IR? My assumption is no because I can't find anything that indicates this is more than a power soak. What I would like is the ability to use my Marshall head without requiring the speaker. Given the price range between a PS1 all the way to a UA OX I'm trying to figure out what my options are.

Another option that I am considering is the Suhr reactive load IR (https://www.suhr.com/electronics/tone-tools/reactive-load-ir/) which is more mid-range in terms of price.

The emulated output on those is just a low-pass filter. Very rudimentary. Thankfully it has an uncolored output for use with IR loaders which brings me to:

Check this out:
https://www.amazon.com/NUX-Mini-Studio-Simulator-Loader/dp/B07TK59J2M/

Should be all you need!

I have some dope cab impulse responses. Lemme know if you are interested in giving them a spin.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The emulated output on those is just a low-pass filter. Very rudimentary. Thankfully it has an uncolored output for use with IR loaders which brings me to:

Check this out:

Should be all you need!

I have some dope cab impulse responses. Lemme know if you are interested in giving them a spin.

Awesome, thanks! So this would be guitar -> pedalboard -> amp -> PS1 -> NUX Mini via the line out?

Just to test my understanding, a device like this would do the same job as the PS1 + NUX Mini but in a single unit?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ferg posted:

Awesome, thanks! So this would be guitar -> pedalboard -> amp -> PS1 -> NUX Mini via the line out?

Just to test my understanding, a device like this would do the same job as the PS1 + NUX Mini but in a single unit?

Not really. It doesn’t have internal IR loading but has you rely on a plugin you could get for free without it. In fact you could just run your load box into your computer and run a free IR loader plugin but it isn’t conducive for playing/noodling live with, rather it’s useful for recording. You’d have to run your entire guitar signal through your sound card and back out adding undue latency.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
In my experience TwoNotes also has poo poo tech support, and the Wall of Sound plugin is spotty with certain daws and loading third party IRs. The hardware piece of it’s probably fine but I wouldn’t want to use the WoS IR plugin on the reg.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Can you magically make any piece of poo poo distortion pedal sound good by putting a Tube Screamer in front of it? It's doing wonders for my DOD Hard Rock Distortion, an objectively bad-sounding pedal.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
an eq will work better but it doesn't hurt

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anime Reference posted:

Can you magically make any piece of poo poo distortion pedal sound good by putting a Tube Screamer in front of it? It's doing wonders for my DOD Hard Rock Distortion, an objectively bad-sounding pedal.

not always because different pedals have different levels of competency vs. laziness/shittiness when it comes to their input and first gain stage.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Check this out:

Should be all you need!

Oh huh those IR pedals have really gotten cheaper in the past year or two. I've been running a torpedo captor into my PC for a while but I think $100 is worth the convenience of not having to gently caress with a DAW just to sit around and shred.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
What are good/versatile reverb pedals under $100

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

AverySpecialfriend posted:

What are good/versatile reverb pedals under $100

The Biyang Tri-Reverb got me through a bunch of gigs, but you can probably score a TC Electronics Hall of Fame for under $100 nowadays.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Bought a can of that DeoxIT spray to try on a 1990s TS-9 with a hosed up output jack. I gave it a few squirts, and it's working like a dream now. $15 well spent.
Thanks to whoever suggested it. (Probably Bhabhi again!)

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Dexoit is magic I just rehabbed 2 amps with scratchy knobs and the sliders on a vintage synth with it.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

OutOfPrint posted:

The Biyang Tri-Reverb got me through a bunch of gigs, but you can probably score a TC Electronics Hall of Fame for under $100 nowadays.

What about the Digitech polara? It has a reverse reverb setting but I don’t think the HoF does

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yaay deoxit is pretty magical!

As for budget reverbs, the worst I’ve heard was still pretty decent. So every one of those y’all are listing I’m like yep that one will work, too! We truly live in a golden age!

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

AverySpecialfriend posted:

What about the Digitech polara? It has a reverse reverb setting but I don’t think the HoF does

I haven't played the Polara, so I can't comment on it. That said, I have the Obscura delay and loving love it, and I'm not big on delays to begin with. Digitech doesn't (didn't?) gently caress around with their latest pedals.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

WRT to reverb - don’t know what used boss prices are like in the US but would highly recommend an RV-6.

Friends have also raved about the oceans 11 by EHX

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I have both polara and obscura, each is great on its own but in combination they're fantastic. They both have reverse modes but I think the obscura's is stronger.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

UncleBlazer posted:

WRT to reverb - don’t know what used boss prices are like in the US but would highly recommend an RV-6.

Friends have also raved about the oceans 11 by EHX

ehx’s build quality is dodgy; i love the way my cathedral sounds but it is extremely fussy about what you power it with and i doubt it’d hold up to touring if that’s a concern

maybe try the deadbeat reverb? i like the demos i’ve heard; the source audio dimension is also easily found for under $100 and gives you two presets and a bunch of options

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Boss RV-6 is excellent and can be had for about $100 on (appropriately enough) Reverb

I finally put my pedalboard together and everything sounds great but the only fuzz I have is a US Big Muff Pi which is nice but a) it's huge and takes of a ton of room and b) I'm not sure if I even want that Big Muff kinda sound for what I play. Any recommendation on a more old-school kinda fuzz that can handle trebly stuff like say, Stooges or Beatles fuzz tones but can also get mellower and do kinda "classic" fuzz tones or 80's/90's alternative like Sonic Youth/Dinosaur Jr?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Boss RV-6 is excellent and can be had for about $100 on (appropriately enough) Reverb

I finally put my pedalboard together and everything sounds great but the only fuzz I have is a US Big Muff Pi which is nice but a) it's huge and takes of a ton of room and b) I'm not sure if I even want that Big Muff kinda sound for what I play. Any recommendation on a more old-school kinda fuzz that can handle trebly stuff like say, Stooges or Beatles fuzz tones but can also get mellower and do kinda "classic" fuzz tones or 80's/90's alternative like Sonic Youth/Dinosaur Jr?

Jext Telez White is bang-on but not cheap. I sold mine but there are clone PCBs available so ima get my baby back.

Any Tone Bender like a TC Rusty Fuzz (they are inexpensive) should do the trick. If you can find a Danelectro Cool Cat v1 (also inexpensive) that’s a Frantone Peach Fuzz which is also super great for what you want. Lastly, you just can’t beat a Fuzz Face.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Jext Telez White is bang-on but not cheap. I sold mine but there are clone PCBs available so ima get my baby back.

Any Tone Bender like a TC Rusty Fuzz (they are inexpensive) should do the trick. If you can find a Danelectro Cool Cat v1 (also inexpensive) that’s a Frantone Peach Fuzz which is also super great for what you want. Lastly, you just can’t beat a Fuzz Face.

Cool thanks, the Rusty Fuzz looks awesome especially considering I can find it used for less than $50. I watched a couple videos and it does that cool gated start/stop thing but it looks like you can get some surprisingly Muff-like tones with the tone rolled back

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hell, I just bought one for $40 on Reverb :thumbsup:

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Declan MacManus posted:

ehx’s build quality is dodgy
Wait, that's a universal thing? I thought they only had issues with the <$100 stuff. I don't own any but I was debating grabbing one of the ____9 pedals.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Death Panel Czar posted:

Wait, that's a universal thing? I thought they only had issues with the <$100 stuff. I don't own any but I was debating grabbing one of the ____9 pedals.

EHX designs are fantastic but they are reeeeally cheap when it comes to construction. My Magnum 44 just died after a year and a half of the most tepid use :(. I replaced it with a Quilter Microblock and the difference is noticeable in toan and the workmanship.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Hell, I just bought one for $40 on Reverb :thumbsup:

Nice!! Let us know if it lives up to what you were looking for. If it's designed to the original Tone Bender spec you may need to make sure to make this pedal first in your chain.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Nice!! Let us know if it lives up to what you were looking for. If it's designed to the original Tone Bender spec you may need to make sure to make this pedal first in your chain.

It came in yesterday... sounds pretty great to me. Nic and squawky with the tone and fuzz up, and the fuzz knob is super interactive to the point that you can get almost an overdriven sound if you roll it all the way left. Thanks for the rec 👍

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Just picked up an EQD Plumes to replace my Behringer Tube Screamer clone and I'm really impressed with it. I love how touch-sensitive mode 1 is, I was playing some old Rush songs with the gain about halfway up and I could go from crunchy power chords to completely clean arpeggios just by backing off my pick attack.
Also got a Hoof but I haven't dug into that one too much yet.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I managed to fry my cheapo Donner EQ pedal, I absentmindedly plugged in the input cable into one of the outputs so I figured that's what did it but then I'm surprised I didn't do any more damage. Or maybe it was unrelated but now when it's turned off the bypass works fine, when it's turned off there's no output, just the LEDs.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Simone Poodoin posted:

I managed to fry my cheapo Donner EQ pedal, I absentmindedly plugged in the input cable into one of the outputs so I figured that's what did it but then I'm surprised I didn't do any more damage. Or maybe it was unrelated but now when it's turned off the bypass works fine, when it's turned off there's no output, just the LEDs.

You went from your amplifier's output -> input of the pedal???

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

lol I skipped a lot of words, sorry about that

I accidentally connected the power cable of my power supply to one of the outputs of it instead of the input, all this while all my pedals were also connected to the PS, so I figure that's what did it.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Anime Reference posted:

Just picked up an EQD Plumes to replace my Behringer Tube Screamer clone and I'm really impressed with it. I love how touch-sensitive mode 1 is, I was playing some old Rush songs with the gain about halfway up and I could go from crunchy power chords to completely clean arpeggios just by backing off my pick attack.
That's the LED mode, right? I picked up a used Palisades a few weeks ago, and I've had it in the LED voicing almost exclusively. Something about boost pedal gain never clicked with me until I got this, but I love the LED poo poo.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

LED clipping and MOSFET clipping are my favorites consistently. I never really jive with the darkness of Ge diodes and silicon are fine but LEDs, like in a Turbo Rat or soft clipping a TS, is my favorite.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
My old, now lost, VFE Pale Horse was switchable between asymmetrical diode, mosfet, and LED clipping. Best believe I kept that fucker locked on LED.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

A couple of days ago, That Pedal Show posted a video featuring John and Gina from Baroness talking about their pedalboards. I really enjoyed it. These guys rival J Mascis w/sheer number of pedals.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

betterinsodapop posted:

A couple of days ago, That Pedal Show posted a video featuring John and Gina from Baroness talking about their pedalboards. I really enjoyed it. These guys rival J Mascis w/sheer number of pedals.

Her episode of Two Minutes to Late Night is pretty funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcPXWfsHCOc&t=355s

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Her episode of Two Minutes to Late Night is pretty funny:
The "Hot for Teacher" cover she did w/ Mutoid Man was great. John from Baroness was also on an episode of Two Minutes To Late Night, but it seemed like he was annoyed/didn't have a good time. On the plus side, he did a scorching rendition of Prince's "Purple Rain" with the guys from Mutoid Man, which is DEFINITELY worth watching! (I long for a "superband" with John Baizley and Steve Brodsky.)

Fender recently implied that they'd be putting out some new signature models soon, and there is some whispering that a Gina Gleason signature tele is in the works.

Umm to post something ON TOPIC: the Ibanez SM7 "SmashBox" distortion is a GREAT. Saw it on an episode of JHS, and scooped one up on Reverb. They've since gone down in price a little (thankfully.) Highly recommended for that Double-Rec sound. Slap a TubeScreamer (or other OD) in front of it, and it is absolutely pummeling. I love it.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

https://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHSF300

they got that sf300 in stock

I've been reading lots of good things about it here and i got one.

For 25 bucks this pedal better absolutely impress the poo poo outta me, or else.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I am Otis posted:

https://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHSF300

they got that sf300 in stock

I've been reading lots of good things about it here and i got one.

For 25 bucks this pedal better absolutely impress the poo poo outta me, or else.

We should probably try to settle this in some sort of measurable way. It sounds just like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPavUi3FEWI

...provided you can turn your amp up fairly loud. The true murder frequencies are difficult to detect (read: the more subtle octave down this circuit does) without turning things up, I've found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

SF300 loving rules. You are gonna love it.