Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Is there any actual information in the leak besides it just being a new name for a format? Why is there speculation that it's another version of Frontier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

moush posted:

Is there any actual information in the leak besides it just being a new name for a format? Why is there speculation that it's another version of Frontier?

Frontier wasn't made by WOTC.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Magic can't sustain another eternal format. There's only so many decks people will keep built, and only so many days for LGSs to host events. Maybe they're intentionally trying to kill Modern like they did Extended?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Maybe they planned it out and figured RTR and forward would be feasible for Arena? A proper version of Historic?

I dunno, it seems really weird to me that they'd try to kill Modern considering Modern Horizons was both incredibly popular and gives them a very profitable way to keep Modern prices in check.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I was talking about this with some people earlier today, it's certainly an interesting idea but keeping up with yet another eternal format after the buck-wild year that Modern has had sounds like a tall order. If you're curious, this is everything that would be legal from RTR onwards. Having an eternal format with only three cards above $30 (for now) sounds nice but there's still a lot of power there, and far fewer answers than Modern has made us used to.

Hellsau posted:

Magic can't sustain another eternal format. There's only so many decks people will keep built, and only so many days for LGSs to host events. Maybe they're intentionally trying to kill Modern like they did Extended?

Maybe, I definitely think that a hypothetical format from RTR onward is going to have a lot of grindy midrange decks which seems to be what Wizards has wanted out of their Constructed formats lately. Starting after RTR kills a lot of cards and decks that people love to complain about, without having to ban the key cards for those decks in Modern and piss off large swathes of the Modern playerbase in one go.

Also somewhat related, but a bunch of people on Discord are telling me that Frontier started with M15 when I swear it started with Origins. Am I mis-remembering that?

E: If it starts at RTR then there's also practically no hate for greedy manabases. You have Field of Ruin, Blood Sun, and Alpine Moon.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Hellsau posted:

Far more likely this meant to kill what's left of Legacy.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

Also somewhat related, but a bunch of people on Discord are telling me that Frontier started with M15 when I swear it started with Origins. Am I mis-remembering that?

Frontier was Magic Origins forward.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Star Man posted:

Frontier was Magic Origins forward.

I thought it was M15 forward, aka everything with the holostamp on the rares?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Hellsau posted:

I thought it was M15 forward, aka everything with the holostamp on the rares?

I swore it was Magic Origins forward, but apparently I was wrong. It started at Magic 2015.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Star Man posted:

I swore it was Magic Origins forward, but apparently I was wrong. It started at Magic 2015.

yeah the whole point was to have a format where the rares and mythics would be harder to counterfeit because of the holostamp, though that obviously didn't last

oh and also to sell a bunch of rotated standard garbage at inflated prices

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

E: If it starts at RTR then there's also practically no hate for greedy manabases. You have Field of Ruin, Blood Sun, and Alpine Moon.

Oh man Mono-B Devotion with a 3 mana Lili? I would play that.

edit: i mean I probably wouldn't because who has time nowadays but its an idea to think about for 30 seconds.

The only way a format from RTR-on gains steam is if they have a Pro-Tour level event for it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Hellsau posted:

yeah the whole point was to have a format where the rares and mythics would be harder to counterfeit because of the holostamp, though that obviously didn't last

oh and also to sell a bunch of rotated standard garbage at inflated prices

The criticism of Frontier at the time was that it was a front to sell copies of Jace, Vryn's Prodigy for as much as they could after the price fell from $90.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

The only way a format from RTR-on gains steam is if they have a Pro-Tour level event for it.

I mean if they announce that they're going to swap out the Limited portion of the PT (fewer people watch Limited than Constructed) and instead have half Standard half an eternal format for each PT (Modern, Pauper, Historic, this new garbage, maybe murder the reserve list and have Legacy and/or Vintage over Pauper/Modern) then I could see that.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Tomorrow's ban list is actually wotc announcing a new format, abolishing the reserved list and eternal vintage with the new ultra mythic rare card rarity where there power 9 and original duals will be printed. 1/100 packs will have an ultra mythic rare. Also they will reprint some absolutely terrible cards at UMR just to gently caress with us.

Also nothing will get banned in standard and the fallout will be incredible.

Oh and they'll also announce no more new sets will be put on MTGO since arena is their "product for standard going forward"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

axeil posted:

Tomorrow's ban list is actually wotc announcing a new format, abolishing the reserved list and eternal vintage with the new ultra mythic rare card rarity where there power 9 and original duals will be printed. 1/100 packs will have an ultra mythic rare. Also they will reprint some absolutely terrible cards at UMR just to gently caress with us.

All reserved list cards at UMR, including Thunder Spirit and Narwhal

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

axeil posted:

Also nothing will get banned in standard and the fallout will be incredible.

I think banning nothing in standard is an option for them. It's a terrible one, but if they don't want to ban Oko/Krasis/Nissa, then maybe they just leave Field in the format. Golos beats Oko beats Aggro beats Golos, which is technically true so if you don't care about the actual percentages that show that aggro has an absolutely terrible overall percentage against the metagame and also don't account for the sheer number of Golos decks that are going to show up if it dodges a B&R announcement, then there's sufficient metagame variety that they could leave standard alone.

ready to be super disappointed about pauper tomorrow

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Emergency B&R announcement:
No changes to all formats.

No comments

Would be hilarious

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

ilmucche posted:

Emergency B&R announcement:
No changes to standard

Field of the Dead and Oko banned in Pioneer

Would be hilarious

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Can I get a format of that bans the planeswalker card type?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Koirhor posted:

premodern

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The gently caress is pioneer

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Kurtofan posted:

The gently caress is pioneer

New format starting from Journey Into Nyx.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

Oh man Mono-B Devotion with a 3 mana Lili? I would play that.

edit: i mean I probably wouldn't because who has time nowadays but its an idea to think about for 30 seconds.

You, a simpleton: rebuild MonoB Devotion
Me, a genius: rebuild Murdergoats

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Koirhor posted:

Pauper

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I’m surprised that no one has tried to make constructed peasant a proper format.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

whydirt posted:

I’m surprised that no one has tried to make constructed peasant a proper format.

You can't make (much) money off that in the secondary market

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Archenteron posted:

You can't make (much) money off that in the secondary market

There are a bunch of uncommons it'd move. Let's get it going!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

RB Instant
Destroy target non basic land or Planeswalker. If a land was destroyed this way, its owner may search their library for a basic land and put it into play, and you draw a card

E: that probably doesn't work for some reason but they really should print a playable Planeswalker hoser. It's so hard to get value against them and their flavour is super lame.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Does the B&R announcement usually go up at a specific time of day?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

10 central I think?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

11am EST, IIRC.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

pointsofdata posted:

RB Instant
Destroy target non basic land or Planeswalker. If a land was destroyed this way, its owner may search their library for a basic land and put it into play, and you draw a card

E: that probably doesn't work for some reason but they really should print a playable Planeswalker hoser. It's so hard to get value against them and their flavour is super lame.

They just printed a 2 mana plague wind for planeswalkers.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

It's supposed to at 11 AM EST, but people usually find DailyMTG.com updates anywhere from 15-30 minutes before that. I think they either started staggering the site update rollouts so the site doesn't get hammered at 11 EST when new B&R or preview articles go up, or people are just good at guessing urls of published-but-not-public articles on the site.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I'm getting an access denied from the link, but Hipsters of the Coast is reporting that Astrolabe is banned in Pauper and Field of the Dead is banned in Standard.

https://twitter.com/HipstersMTG/status/1186288818024075266

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/october-21-2019-banned-and-restricted-announcement?s

Field in Standard, Astrolabe in Pauper

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Congrats Hellsau

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

This is the highest rate of standard bannings uhh, ever, right?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I, for one, welcome our new Okolords

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-pioneer-format-2019-10-21?c

Pioneer is real. The fetches are pre-banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

:captainpop: