Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Applewhite posted:

Machines break down after heavy use, as opposed to humans who grow stronger and more experienced. You don't want a battle-hardened droid army, you want a brand new one.

"Each droid has gone through billions of simulations to insure combat effectiveness"

But then it wouldn't be a ham fisted analogy for a chinese military

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
I thought TFA was decent and enjoyed TLJ for the most part. Rogue One is an excellent cure for insomnia.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

promising carl posted:

I thought TFA was decent and enjoyed TLJ for the most part. Rogue One is an excellent cure for insomnia.

If you can ignore all the subplots rogue one is the best one

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
the incontrovertible truth is that episode 3 is peak Star Wars. It is the most Star Wars of all the Star Wars

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Backstroke of the West. That's the best one.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Zoran posted:

the incontrovertible truth is that episode 3 is peak Star Wars. It is the most Star Wars of all the Star Wars

Correct. Even Star Wars was not more Star Wars

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I wanna see an evil Jedi use the force more inventively and rip a random mooks heart out. Or crush C3PO and R2D2 into a cube of wailing scrap metal.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Zoran posted:

Nah, Return of the Jedi is totally the peak Star Wars. No other Star Wars is more Star Wars than it is. You have a hero wavering in his trust in his friends, mission, and beliefs, another massive super weapon, the ultra bizarre Sarlacc scene and the hilarious battle with R2-D2 throwing Luke his lightsaber, Princess Leia in a metal bikini, Force ghosts, Ewoks, Ewoks killing Stormtroopers, an intense battle where Luke cuts off Vader's hand and refuses to kill his father. It has everything and is the most Star Wars.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Icochet posted:

The droid army in 1 was described as "battle hardened". They were veterans. What kind of
war could those pieces of poo poo survive?

I assume they were slaughtering local militias and civilians

The cases where two well trained and equipped militaries actually fight each other are extremely rare. And even thrn usually they got trained by putting down rebellions or subjugating peasants

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Star Wars is, at its core, a parable about how much its creators, George Lucas and Disney, hate sex.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Propitious Jerk posted:

Star Wars is, at its core, a parable about how much its creators, George Lucas and Disney, hate sex.

Not having sex grants you great spiritual and magickal powers. This isn't Disney's doing this is just real-lifec

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
We should all be hella grateful that there's no sex in star wars

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Return of the Jedi is horned up from the floor up

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Max "Blue Torpedo" Reebo

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
No sex in Star Wars? The whole point of the story is Luke kills his dad bc he can’t have sex with his Mum watch the fuckin movie idiot

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Do you think Jabba fucks or does the sand really get everywhere

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Colonel Cancer posted:

Do you think Jabba fucks or does the sand really get everywhere

Both. Get gritty

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Star Wars can't handle sex. It's already too steamy in here with these snub-nose fighters launching their torpedoes up exhaust ports.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Star Wars can't handle sex. It's already too steamy in here with these snub-nose fighters launching their torpedoes up exhaust ports.

I used to bullseye womp rats back home

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVjU47iPNbg

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

No sex in Star Wars? The whole point of the story is Luke kills his dad bc he can’t have sex with his sister watch the fuckin movie idiot

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I spent all of TLJ waiting for Finn and x-wing guy to finally start fuckin and it never happened drat it Disney you idiot cowards.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Did the original trilogy ever talk about Jedi not being allowed to sex each other up or is that just a dumb thing that got added later for some minor plot convenience?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

i don't like sand

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kase Im Licht posted:

Did the original trilogy ever talk about Jedi not being allowed to sex each other up or is that just a dumb thing that got added later for some minor plot convenience?

The original trilogy doesnt really go into what the jedi stood for, its just yoda and obi wan desperately trying to get luke to kill darth vader.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Kase Im Licht posted:

Jedi have always been allowed to bone down, just not catch feelings

SHISHKABOB posted:

The original trilogy doesnt really go into what the jedi stood for, its just yoda and obi wan desperately trying to get luke to kill darth vader.

This is true too. Lucas chose to tell a story in the prequels that makes the behavior of the Jedi in the original movies seem really suspicious and hypocritical. Yoda trains Luke to kill Sheev and Vader while also telling Luke that war is bad and he should be passive and nonviolent, which turns out to be good advice in Luke’s case, but around the time Luke was born Yoda himself was a mad oval office army commander flipping around killing people with a sword.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

skasion posted:

This is true too. Lucas chose to tell a story in the prequels that makes the behavior of the Jedi in the original movies seem really suspicious and hypocritical. Yoda trains Luke to kill Sheev and Vader while also telling Luke that war is bad and he should be passive and nonviolent, which turns out to be good advice in Luke’s case, but around the time Luke was born Yoda himself was a mad oval office army commander flipping around killing people with a sword.

It's almost as if George Lucas has no idea what made Star Wars good: A simple hero defeats the evil dudes story with lots of cheesy sci-fi window dressing like fun, super weird aliens, sarcastic dialogue, cool laser swords and blaster battles, and spacecrafts that look rad and make awesome noises and shoot each other.

Which led Lucas to believe the prequels should have trade disputes, a burgeoning romance between a 9 year old boy and a 14 year old girl who is a princess or something, a racist minstrel caricature who acts and moves like he's from Looney Tunes, Yoda jumping around with a lightsaber like a video game character on speed, and dialogue about how sand is bad, I guess?????

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

It's almost as if George Lucas has no idea what made Star Wars good: A simple hero defeats the evil dudes story with lots of cheesy sci-fi window dressing like fun, super weird aliens, sarcastic dialogue, cool laser swords and blaster battles, and spacecrafts that look rad and make awesome noises and shoot each other.

Every Disney SW movie has all that and its all dogshit, check your premises

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

skasion posted:

Every Disney SW movie has all that and its all dogshit, check your premises
It's dogshit because Abrams just did a Find Replace on the ANH script and most of the film is littered with stuff that doesn't pay off. Why is Luke Gone? Watch the next film. Why does the lightsaber call to Rey? Find out later! How the gently caress dod space nazis get huge again and whats with Rey's parentage?! Fabulous secrets will be revealed... at some point.

Like the best part is Kylo Ren storming out the gate with force badassery and then being a petulant child that gets beat.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

It's almost as if George Lucas has no idea what made Star Wars good

he knows exactly what

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
The only thing wrong with The Last Jedi is that Rian Johnson had to spend so much time tearing down all the terrible poo poo JJ Abrams set up, he ran out of time to add anything new.

Also Solo was a great space western ruined by turbo nerds pushed to the brink of suicide because the Millennium Falcon looked different. The IT dorks hugging it out at the water fountain scared off normal people.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Frankenstyle posted:

he ran out of time to add anything new.
Luke's fate was well done, i believe. And the loving Space Kamikaze scene was loving amazing.

I caught a 2am showing and everyone in the theatre was just awed by that poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Credit where credit is due. The hyperspace ram was visually stunning, and that not easy to do anymore with CGI being as advanced as it is.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

FilthyImp posted:

And the loving Space Kamikaze scene was loving amazing.

I was being a little hyperbolic. Yoda burning down the Jedi church as a joke was one of my favorite cinema moments ever.

*And yeah, everyone including Mark Hamill being all like "That's not my Luke" Apparently never saw episodes 4-6.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 21, 2019

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf6WxVYMvT8

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Frankenstyle posted:

The only thing wrong with The Last Jedi is that Rian Johnson had to spend so much time tearing down all the terrible poo poo JJ Abrams set up, he ran out of time to add anything new.

He added plenty new, and most of it was just as terrible as JJ Abrams.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

star wars.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

VideoTapir posted:

Rian Johnson’s a stupid-rear end bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

Yeah people keep bringing up that as though its not bullshit. There was nothing in TFA which forced Rian Johnson to add a yo mama joke or write a 40-minute pointless B plot.