Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Finally got around to watching Happy Death Day.

What kind of college mascot is The Babies? Like, that's not gonna intimidate your opponents at sporting events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

In the mines of moria in the first LOTR why didn't those stairs/bridges have handrails? Did dwarves just never trip or stumble? Seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

At least in a few cases those bridges seemed to be deliberate chokepoints to defend the mines from invasion.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

At least in a few cases those bridges seemed to be deliberate chokepoints to defend the mines from invasion.

You shall not pass please we need some more handrails don’t slip and fall in the shower.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

rydiafan posted:

What kind of college mascot is The Babies? Like, that's not gonna intimidate your opponents at sporting events.

I don't know, that mask was pretty loving creepy.

I mean technically mascots like a loving dolphin aren't scary either unless you know about dolphins.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

rydiafan posted:

I had an old boss whose high school mascot was the Kewpies

Looking at some of the photos of their mascot I’m wondering if the people making that movie might have seen these. It’s apparently a well known terrible mascot.

Blast Fantasto has a new favorite as of 03:43 on Oct 21, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

In planes trains & automobiles, steve martin could have had a much more pleasant trip home if he had chilled out a little and just rolled with it. John Candy was dumb and annoying and almost got them killed but he didn't, so maybe ease up a bit, gosh.

isnt that literally his character arc

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Superman could probably wipe out every military on earth in a couple of months.

It's not like they could do anything about it if he just showed up and started picking up tanks and F35s and chucking them into the sun.

He could probably clear away most of the plastic in the ocean in a few months.

But no he has to spend most of his time cosplaying a human and fighting skinny Donald Trump.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Krankenstyle posted:

isnt that literally his character arc

I would say yes. And also to anyone who liked that movie there is an unofficial remake with Zach G called Due Date

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's not like they could do anything about it if he just showed up and started picking up tanks and F35s and chucking them into the sun.

But no he has to spend most of his time cosplaying a human and fighting skinny Donald Trump.

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2011-07-13

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Please don't compare Luthor to Trump

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Saying one Luthor is as many as one Trumps?

That’s terrible.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Krispy Wafer posted:

In Iron Man I always felt bad for the guy who managed to shoot a speeding Iron Man out of the sky with the tank turret only to be blown up by a little Stark rocket. That’s superhero level aiming skill there.

https://youtu.be/YRCTPq2QEGc

They have fire control systems for that. They're probably using Stark's own systems he would have made able to lock onto the radar profile of a small bird. Or an Ironman.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

FreudianSlippers posted:

The stories where Superman does do that usually involve him following it up with taking over the world and becoming a fascist dictator because nobody can stop him because he's loving Superman.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Schubalts posted:

The stories where Superman does do that usually involve him following it up with taking over the world and becoming a fascist dictator because nobody can stop him because he's loving Superman.

Or the one where he breaks every weapon on both sides of a war and they just keep fighting with their bare hands.

Though the best versions are where he spends 90% of his time as Superman doing humanitarian stuff and saving people from disasters while fighting pretty rarely.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Superman should be on a giant treadmill, as the world's greatest clean energy source.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

KozmoNaut posted:

Superman should be on a giant treadmill, as the world's greatest clean energy source.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That is obviously a crank, not at all what I'm talking about.

A crank? What is this, a Resident Evil game?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i never read fellowship, how did the other dwarves not get the memo about moria considering the state of decomposition they were in

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dwarves are super secretive and live a long time, a stronghold being quiet for decades might not be too weird.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Alan Smithee posted:

i never read fellowship, how did the other dwarves not get the memo about moria considering the state of decomposition they were in

First off they would never refer to it as Moria
It was Khazad Dum

And secondly yeah they didn’t get a letter in the mail

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
The balrog probably killed everyone pretty quickly, they may not have had time to send word.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Superman is like Dr. Manhattan. You can’t use them as an example because they’re too powerful/don’t make sense. In Red Son, Superman defeats the United States military because the character has no real limitations to his power.

I liked in The Boys where someone suggests Homelander push up a falling airplane a la Superman and he’s like, “it doesn’t work like that.”

MariusLecter posted:

They have fire control systems for that. They're probably using Stark's own systems he would have made able to lock onto the radar profile of a small bird. Or an Ironman.

But tanks knocking out flying objects? I wasn’t aware that was a thing, but if it is that’s pretty kickass.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Krispy Wafer posted:

I liked in The Boys where someone suggests Homelander push up a falling airplane a la Superman and he’s like, “it doesn’t work like that.”

That was a great scene. And he was right and he was a POS at the same time.

He could have done something.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Grab the wing and spin around in circles and throw it towards land

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You could probably handle it with maybe two flying super strong guys at the fore and aft basically acting as landing gear, slowing the plane to a stop.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Or activate the floatation devices and take every person off the plane and not burn anyone with the laser eyes perhaps

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't suggest reading it but Frank Miller had the Flash doing exactly this in DK2.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't suggest reading it but Frank Miller had the Flash doing exactly this in DK2.

I wouldn’t recommend it but Larry Niven went off on supes sperm and well it was a real bad treatise

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

rydiafan posted:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

packetmantis posted:

The balrog probably killed everyone pretty quickly, they may not have had time to send word.

Dearest Dunflar,

The Balrog! It's coming! It's killing everyone! Oh my god! It's breaking through the door and swinging it's sword at me! Ah! Oh no! Dear gods!

Yours,
Hoergn

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Morpheus posted:

Dearest Dunflar,

The Balrog! It's coming! It's killing everyone! Oh my god! It's breaking through the door and swinging it's sword at me! Ah! Oh no! Dear gods!

Yours,
Hoergn

Dictated but not read

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
If anything, not having handrails would just let dwarves get to the bottom of the mine faster

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

If anything, not having handrails would just let dwarves get to the bottom of the mine faster

Dwarves would be so fast at descending if any of them had interacted with an elf for a year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaGZnLyCPXw

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

That was a great scene. And he was right and he was a POS at the same time.

He could have done something.

He doesn't actually know if it will work or not, he's not willing to try it in case it can't.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

packetmantis posted:

The story with Moria is that it was a major kingdom of dwarves before the Balrog killed the king and drove them out, so they left for like 20-30 years. That part is well-known history to all the dwarves. But after a few decades, a contingent of dwarves returned to recolonize it, and they were successful for a few years but then went silent. The leader of that group was Balin, the one that Gimli(in LOTR) was related to. At the time of LOTR, when the Fellowship discovers all the dead dwarves, Balin's group had been missing for about 5 years but that was the first definitive proof of what happened to them(they were overrun and killed by orcs).

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
The thought is right but your timeline is not even close.

1980 of the Third Age, the Balrog awakens
1981 of the Third Age, the Balrog drives dwarves out of Moria.
2989 of the Third Age , Balin attempts to recolonize
2994 of the Third Age, all the dwarves are killed
3019 of the Third Age, Gandalf enters Moria and kills the Balrog

* Khazad-dûm was founded sometime in the First Age, thousands of years before

doverhog has a new favorite as of 00:22 on Oct 22, 2019

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I would say yes. And also to anyone who liked that movie there is an unofficial remake with Zach G called Due Date

I thought that movie (due date) was aggressively mediocre, which is the worst kind of mediocre. They should stop touching classic comedy movies from back then, like I heard there's a sequel to Coming to America. It's fine, we don't need another one.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

I thought that movie (due date) was aggressively mediocre, which is the worst kind of mediocre. They should stop touching classic comedy movies from back then, like I heard there's a sequel to Coming to America. It's fine, we don't need another one.

I never saw it but the new movies don’t hurt the old ones.

Although I will say some movies like Casablanca or Vertigo probably not getting remade. If you have cojones to improve on that good luck to you. Psycho was kind of a crapfest and then got remade. No one made bones from that

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I don't mind remakes/reboots in general, if the remakes are significantly better like the new star trek movies. I only get irritated by the ones that just copy the premise and update the technology and it just feels pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I never saw it but the new movies don’t hurt the old ones.

Although I will say some movies like Casablanca or Vertigo probably not getting remade. If you have cojones to improve on that good luck to you. Psycho was kind of a crapfest and then got remade. No one made bones from that

Psycho a crapfest?