Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Martian Manfucker posted:

just found out my mom is going to be voting for the CHP candidate in her riding. when i asked her why she said "her values line up with mine."

this is a woman who smokes weed and has had an abortion in the last 10 years. i used to like my mom but ever since she joined that messianic jew cult i've lost a lot of respect for her.

Genuinely thought you meant the Turkish CHP for a bit there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
It's loving hilarious to me how lovely the news establishment is. I "worked" at the university paper with a bunch of people that now work for CBC Manitoba. There was actual, honest to goodness journalism going on in the University paper with a generous amount of journalistic freedom. If you were absolutely positively OK with being poor forever or were an exceptionally good writer, you could go through various hoops and eventually get onto the Tyee or whatever left wing rags are around. Otherwise it was leave uni, work for the loving Kenora Daily Miner or the Thompson Tribune and then land a CBC job, or maybe get on with the Sun. Reading what these people publish now just feels like they're dumping trending adjectives/nouns into a form letter.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sitting in the passenger seat, I just looked up some union local after seeing pickets in the middle of nowhere... I wonder what percentage of the people who signed up for the union regret it:

https://www.ibew213.org/news/strike-notice-ledcor-lts posted:

The LTS bargaining unit was certified by the Canada Labour Board on August 31, 2017.

At the time of the certification, LTS employed 238 in the bargaining unit.

January 2019 the Board awarded the IBEW 213 two groups of employees that LTS had disputed were part of the union certification.

By the time of the Board’s decision, LTS had eroded the bargaining unit down to 161 workers, a 32 per cent reduction since certification.

On September 25, Ledcor broke the law and their own word when they laid off en-mass 31 IBEW 213 members. [...] on Monday, September 30 LTS workers walked off the job and began picketing the LTS office on Broadway in Port Coquitlam.

So basically, two years after certifying, only ~130 jobs remain out of the original 238 and the survivors have yet to get a single concession from the company, salary or otherwise. And this is in a labor-friendly province!

James Baud has issued a correction as of 18:58 on Oct 20, 2019

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

James Baud posted:

a labor-friendly province!

A what now?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Workers being illegally fired for unionizing? How amusing. To think those peasants wanted more stability in their hours and wages.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

no, but same idea: http://www.jewishprophet.com/

although I think since their "prophet" died recently and his wife took over there's been a couple splinter groups formed and my mom went with one of them

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
G-d's Glory Cloud

This Cloud has appeared to Bro. Deckard three times during the course of his ministry.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Helsing posted:

Workers being illegally fired for unionizing? How amusing. To think those peasants wanted more stability in their hours and wages.

Yeah, lots of sympathy for those poor misled suckers who believed what the union reps told them instead of listening to the more cynical sorts. Although there's still enough construction (and filming!) going on that most should be okay for now.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Given that you apparently stumbled across all this at random that is a curiously elaborate fantasy about exactly what went down in the lead up to this labour struggle, complete with a cast of cynical heroes and deserving victims and righteously outsourcing employers.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Unions bring out the scorched earth in me, what can I say?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

James Baud posted:

Your brain is broken

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The local CHP candidate has "active volunteer for women's issues!" On her bio lol.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

CommonShore posted:

The local CHP candidate has "active volunteer for women's issues!" On her bio lol.

Canada's Only Pro-Life Party!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

CommonShore posted:

i guess "protesting outside abortion clinics" technically fits the bill

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Reading what these people publish now just feels like they're dumping trending adjectives/nouns into a form letter.

If you buy what Nick Davies writes in Flat Earth News this is pretty close to what happens. When you're filing 9 stories a day, a substantial amount of them you just take something off a wire service of press release and shuffle the words around a bit.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
wrong thread!!!!!

poty has issued a correction as of 21:58 on Oct 20, 2019

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

just because one of our dumbshit party leaders still brags about supporting brexit doesn't mean that belongs in here

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

James Baud posted:

Those peasants should’ve worshipped the job creator class and kissed the ring every time a manager walked by as gratitude for their existence. Psh maybe next time they can take away things like bathroom breaks or overtime to improve profits

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Welcome to the Alberta report.

Today i saw this

A PPC sign used to cover up an NDP sign.

I also saw:

A truck driving around pulling a trailer covered in both PPC city campaign signs
A range rover with a full "I ❤️ OIL & GAS" vinyl wrap, probably the dude who sells the stickers

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
I'm imagining a future where the chuds of Alberta and the roller backpack kids of Alberta split the right wing vote

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The mural featuring Greta Thunberg in Edmonton has already been savagely defaced, surprise surprise.

In French though, which is a surprise

https://globalnews.ca/news/6057954/greta-thunberg-mural-defaced-edmonton/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

priznat posted:

Yeah, a french canadian being an rear end in a top hat, shocking.

Seriously though, Edmonton has winter days where the smog just sits there for a week.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1585711

The Vehn diagram between people who don't believe in climate change, and the people who bitch about air quality is a perfect circle

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
More just surprised that there probably aren't a lot of francophone chuds in Edmonton, percentage wise and that an angry anglo didn't beat them to it in their coal rolling F350

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Edmonton does have a french sector, seem kind of natural for someone to be a Mad Max supporter there.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Old Story posted:

just got a robocall from CANADA STRONG AND PROUD telling me that, whoever I vote for, I should vote for a leader who does NOT have a history of scandals and acts like a REAL leader and cares about Canada's big beautiful oil fields and so on

Yeah they've been robocalling the hell out of me all week.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

all around me are familiar faces, worn out places, worn out faces.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

2018-04-18 :stare:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

priznat posted:

The mural featuring Greta Thunberg in Edmonton has already been savagely defaced, surprise surprise.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6057954/greta-thunberg-mural-defaced-edmonton/
this is so embarrassing lol

CBC posted:

"This is Alberta. This is oil country. My father has worked in the oil industry. We don't need foreigners comin' in and telling us how to run our business, support our families, put food on our tables," he said.

Bagnell said as soon as he saw photos of the mural on social media, he decided to go down and "deal with it." He said his father, who recently died, would have been "disgusted" to see the portrait of Thunberg.

He said Canada shouldn't change its energy industry because other countries are worse offenders.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BGrifter posted:

2018-04-18 :stare:

I hope this is Harper's secret twitter, like romney's secret twitter "pierre Delecto"

I can't even handle how boring this place would be if it's just some russian troll

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Powershift posted:

all around me are familiar faces, worn out places, worn out faces.

i love our new president

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

punished milkman posted:

i love our new president

Now now, he doesn't get the keys for another 16 hours or so.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
its election day my friends

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

vyelkin posted:

its election day my friends

Dawn of the final d'eh

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Wow! Co-Prime Minister Singh Bernier!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

univbee posted:

Dawn of the final d'eh

that giant face in the sky is just bearin' down on us now.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao someone i know updated his facebook profile picture to a shot of him and andrew scheer

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

vyelkin posted:

lmao someone i know updated his facebook profile picture to a shot of him and andrew scheer

Is he also a pudgy white dude?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
We should all agree to let Alberta exist in a permanent state of 2000s oil boom. Sequester the province entirely, doctor all the media to reflect those perfect Albertan days and the rest of us can move on with our lives and Alberta will be perfectly happy. We'll need a bit of oil anyway even if we move to renewables mostly and it'll keep them busy. We'll just have to put up a smog shield between Alberta and Saskatchewan or something.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Saalkin posted:

Is he also a pudgy white dude?

hes pretty athletic for a middle-aged man but hes also a small business owner so that tells you everything you need to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

salt of the earth