Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1184814993067393024

When Google first showed off the controller in March, the company touted how you could seamlessly switch from gaming on your TV to a laptop or phone while using the same exact controller, without having to pair it to each device — because the controller would stay directly connected to Stadia’s servers over its own Wi-Fi.

Google recently added a disclaimer in a new Stadia explainer video that wireless play will only be available on Chromecast Ultra at launch, and a Google community manager on Reddit later confirmed that meant you’ll need to break out the USB-C cables for other devices — perhaps because Bluetooth also won’t be an option by launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-50080586

quote:

A flaw that means any fingerprint can unlock a Galaxy S10 phone has been acknowledged by Samsung.

It promised a software patch that would fix the problem.

The issue was spotted by a British woman whose husband was able to unlock her phone with his thumbprint just by adding a cheap screen protector.

When the S10 was launched, in March, Samsung described the fingerprint authentication system as "revolutionary".

After buying a £2.70 gel screen protector on eBay, Lisa Neilson found her left thumbprint, which was not registered, could unlock the phone.

She then asked her husband to try and both his thumbs also unlocked it.

And when the screen protector was added to another relative's phone, the same thing happened.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

akadajet posted:

who wants laggy streamed video games?

people without bandwidth limits so presumably not americans

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

anroid.txt right there

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

akadajet posted:

who wants laggy streamed video games?

psnow works well enough, no reason stadia can't accomplish the same thing. this is all old thin client tech that has been around forever at the end of the day

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

also dead: google clips

what was google clips? an "ai" camera that took pictures for you, whenever it decided to, and decidedly very poorly

it's unclear who came up with the idea, or thought this was a thing anyone anywhere would want to buy, but it survived for two whole years

This was a Microsoft project called lifecam or something back in the late 90s so I guess it's not surprising that Google independently invented it 20 years later

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

psnow works well enough, no reason stadia can't accomplish the same thing. this is all old thin client tech that has been around forever at the end of the day

arguably there is a reason, specifically "it's google"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

jit bull transpile posted:

I delivered pizzas for domino's summer after my freshman year. my boss and I would get drunk on Guinness extra stouts in the walk in cooler between the lunch and dinner rush.

their sauce arrives dehydrated in a 35 pound bag the size of a cereal box and has to be mixed with hot water in a 35 gallon bucket. yum.

like crunchy dehydrated or just a paste?

people poo poo on canned stuff but you physically can't make tomato paste better than the stuff in a can/tube. it's like trying to make homemade catsup.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’ve had good homemade ketchups.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

also dead: google clips

what was google clips? an "ai" camera that took pictures for you, whenever it decided to, and decidedly very poorly

it's unclear who came up with the idea, or thought this was a thing anyone anywhere would want to buy, but it survived for two whole years

it was way too expensive (US $249), and they found that it barely ever captured memorable moments. i'm not sure how they'd determine that, but it seems like whatever algo they used was pretty bad. it wouldn't take so much effort for someone to give it a voice command. i mean i see the potential in it maybe.. but, you know their process: throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks, because they have virtually unlimited funds for this stuff, etc

i can see them training a neural network and making it actually work. they need that first, and price to compete with amazon and the like (probably starting at $50)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

arguably there is a reason, specifically "it's google"

they're absolutely going to gently caress things up re: bandwidth caps and not bothering to make agreements with ISP to have dedicated peering links for this. they saw what netflix pulled off when they pulled their entire CDN network to Level3 and hosed most of the US internet for a good year or so and think they can get enough leverage the force the ISPs to light up the extra links for them when the demand hits. But its not going to work because there's too many other viable choices in the segment and instead it will just falter for anyone on a big corporate ISP and they'll abandon it. but hey, I might get a few good years of cheap gaming and no PC upgrades out of it with my gigabit fiber and no bandwidth cap

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hifi posted:

like crunchy dehydrated or just a paste?

people poo poo on canned stuff but you physically can't make tomato paste better than the stuff in a can/tube. it's like trying to make homemade catsup.

a paste with the thickness of like an almost dried cement

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
samsung: our fingerprint readers unlock with any finger and a screen protector

google: hold my beer

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
there's an option for eyes open tho. they probably have an unpatched version or something.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm willing to bet it will unlock with those glasses that have eyes printed on them like in an archie comic

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

Early versions of the Pixel 4 face unlock settings had a checkbox to "Require eyes to be open," but that is not present on review units or the shipping version. The BBC confirmed with Google that the current, eyes-closed implementation is what will ship to consumers. Google says it will "continue to improve Face Unlock over time." There is no fingerprint reader on the Pixel 4, so face unlock is the only biometric option.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lmao it didn’t work so they pulled it. security!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
uhh, I am pretty sure a fingerprint works when you are asleep, so that wouldn't be an improvement

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sure, assuming you're willing to grab the person's hand or shove the phone under it and hope they don't wake up

the point is the facial id system doesn't require any physical interaction, and also doesn't require them to be conscious

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

sure, assuming you're willing to grab the person's hand or shove the phone under it and hope they don't wake up

most people won't wake up from that if you are slow enough.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

and also doesn't require them to be conscious

uh that would be same even if it required open eyes, you can just open someone's eyes when they are unconscious lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this is a really weird hill to die on

even google is admitting this is bad, just go with it

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
yeah it is bad, but it is not really going to add any security to someone unconscious. Maybe when asleep, although a lot of people don't wake up if you open their eyelids when they are asleep

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I hope that them disabling the open eyes requirement was because they couldn't get their algorithm to stop being racist

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

not android, but the google general thread is gone, so dwi

how google killed nest by integrating it into google services, or the trades know better than to trust anything with the google brand on it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
nest has been a zombie for years. they haven’t shipped anything since their fire alarm disaster except for dropcam, which they bought.

lol at this mess

quote:

We've seen several existing product lines be rebranded from "Google" to "Google Nest" like the Google Nest Mini (formerly the Google Home Mini), the Google Nest Hub (formerly the Google Home Hub), the Nest Wifi (formerly Google Wifi), and the Google Nest Learning Thermostat (formerly the Nest Learning Thermostat).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

We were more or less forced into the switch. When people buy a connected device, they expect it to connect. That’s not something that happens with Nest anymore.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Management posted:

nest has been a zombie for years. they haven’t shipped anything since their fire alarm disaster except for dropcam, which they bought.

lol at this mess

i thought they had some minor things, like the temperature sensors, a spec bump thermostat for the main one, and the nest e a cheaper nest in plastic

oh wait lol yeah also one more thing. the security system panel that has a secret microphone

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The Management posted:

lol at this mess

I was wondering about that; I had seen the Nest name on a kitchen speaker and thought it was a mistake.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

i thought they had some minor things, like the temperature sensors, a spec bump thermostat for the main one, and the nest e a cheaper nest in plastic

oh wait lol yeah also one more thing. the security system panel that has a secret microphone

Google: If you have a Nest product, be sure to inform any guests or visitors that they're being recorded at all times to avoid falling afoul of any two party consent surveillance laws

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

lmbo

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

loool

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
welcome to my home honoured guest. you are under surveillance. would you like a cold beverage? -google executive upon entrance to his home

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

welcome, the walls have ears

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’m gonna need you to sign this release form so I can legally allow you into my house

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

crepeface posted:

welcome to my home honoured guest. you are under surveillance. would you like a cold beverage? -google executive upon entrance to his home

welcome to my gently caress pad. please put any electronics you have in a locker and go through the metal detector -google executive upon entrance to his home

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

POC: weaponized google home/alexa apps phish your passwords

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

the legend that vampires can't enter your house unless you invite them was actually about IoT products

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

I’m gonna need you to sign this release form so I can legally allow you into my house

isn’t it more: please sign this or I will be a felon when you enter my home?