Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Piltover and Zaun being the same faction actually kind of makes sense. They're technically the same city, just upstairs/downstairs. Plus from a gameplay perspective they actuall work well together, they both have card draw, care about spell casts and do burn damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I also forgot Targon for peeps like Pantheon, Leona, Diana, and Zoe.

They've clearly left out entire regions to leave plenty of room for big updates. It helps that League has a million champions to pull from too.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Was it TFT or LoR that they said would have more regions during the 10 year anniversary?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nazzadan posted:

Was it TFT or LoR that they said would have more regions during the 10 year anniversary?

TFT is getting a bunch of new origin areas in the season expansion, mostly adding Shurima and The Void from the look of things since they showed Sivir, Azir, Skarner and Kog'maw.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://www.twitch.tv/reynad27/clip/AffluentBombasticOtterFreakinStinkin

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

God I don't know how I forgot those two regions too. There's too many goddamn champions in this game to keep up with.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FreakinStinkin

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

my biggest thought that i have coming out of legends of runeterra is that if this(and TFT) is the standard to which future riot games are kept, riot is going to have a very strong showing in 2020/2021.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I had a lot of fun with the 5 hours I had of Runeterra

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Cheap, Affordable, and Tasty!
Wrap me in rice like you would with your mother.
Garen is a bitch.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Spam Musubi posted:

Garen is a bitch.

Garen is insanely strong rn, it's a bit unfair.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Miftan posted:

Garen is insanely strong rn, it's a bit unfair.

Yeah I kind of wished they would have hotfixed him but I guess Rito thought they could wait for the next patch. 57% ban rate!!!! That's unreal.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Sexpansion posted:

Yeah I kind of wished they would have hotfixed him but I guess Rito thought they could wait for the next patch. 57% ban rate!!!! That's unreal.

We either ban or first pick him every game now, and none of the people I play with (including me) are even good Garen players. Who's taking Garen and into what lane? It doesn't matter. Does well instead of an adc, mid or top laner. Garen.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Garen is fun as gently caress right now and has the added bonus of making the enemy team v angry so I've been playing him as much as possible before the inevitable nerf makes him just a jobber again.

Triforce>BORK>Stormrazor, IDK if this is good someone on my friends list suggested it and it works fine

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

drat my access to lolstone expired. Hurry up and launch this poo poo

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Cage Kicker posted:

Garen is fun as gently caress right now and has the added bonus of making the enemy team v angry so I've been playing him as much as possible before the inevitable nerf makes him just a jobber again.

Triforce>BORK>Stormrazor, IDK if this is good someone on my friends list suggested it and it works fine

Triforce > Phantom Dancer is much much funnier.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
oops my b, ban garen

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

drat my access to lolstone expired. Hurry up and launch this poo poo

Next preview patch is 14th November, I hope if you got a key for this run you'll be in for everything going forward but this is Riot so you never know. Watching TB Skyen doing an art review of the cards though taught me that the little eye icon by the flavour text will bring up a full screen version of the card artwork, which means we now have this incredibly sinister image.

E: New TFT sets are starting to get shown. Hafu has a video up on the Warden class (a replacement for Guardians in the new set) which has an unchanged Braum, Nasus (1 cost with a new origin in Light) and Taric (5 cost Crystal, so there's your Mount Targon rep). Scarra is going to be showing some new stuff on stream in about 3 hours too.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 21, 2019

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
reminded me of this classic for some reason

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

More new TFT stuff. 3 shown champs are Thresh (2 with his Deep Terror skin) and Nautilus (3) both as Wardens, and Nami (5) as a Mystic which is another new class.
https://twitter.com/dogdog/status/1186356568876605442

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

njsykora posted:

Next preview patch is 14th November, I hope if you got a key for this run you'll be in for everything going forward but this is Riot so you never know.

Good news, it was indeed confirmed that if you got access for this first period you'll have access for the rest of the beta periods going forward including the Closed Beta next year which should be longer than just 5 days. There will be an account reset at some point though since we're getting a metric fuckload of wildcards for the purposes of testing all the stuff.

https://reddit.com/r/LegendsOfRuneterra/comments/dja7cb/were_the_lor_team_ama/f43qrlf/

On another note, I haven't played League in multiple years... so what's this Teamfight Tactics business? I know it's like... something called Auto Chess which apparently suddenly got popular and you like buy units to make a team and then watch fights or something? Is it way the more chill than League because I fell off of League because it started giving me too much anxiety to deal with. Plus I'm just... way the hell behind on the times with items and builds and champions and poo poo.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 21, 2019

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

On another note, I haven't played League in multiple years... so what's this Teamfight Tactics business? I know it's like... something called Auto Chess which apparently suddenly got popular and you like buy units to make a team and then watch fights or something? Is it way the more chill than League because I fell off of League because it started giving me too much anxiety to deal with. Plus I'm just... way the hell behind on the times with items and builds and champions and poo poo.

TFT's an Auto Chess clone. Auto Chess is a card drafting game with a positioning (on a chess board or hex board in TFT's case) mini game attached to it. If you enjoy set drafting games(7 wonders etc.) you should give it a try. It's a lot more chill than league since it's an 8 person FFA, so no allies to get pissed off at you if you walk off in the middle of a round or whatever, but you can certainly try hard and be doing something useful the majority of the time if you want to take it seriously. I haven't played TFT since it first came out, but at least back then there wasn't much of a tutorial and it assumed you knew how Auto Chess worked, maybe watch a video or something first. Most likely if you were interested enough in Runeterra to get into the beta you'll like TFT/Auto chess. It plays nothing like League, just uses the same models and abilities as a base. It's also completely F2P with only cosmetics to purchase, so there's no investment and you have 100% of your options available from your first game.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

You have the right basic idea. The characters and names of things are the same as league but that's about it.
It is very relaxed. No teammates so no need to feel pressure to perform well. You build the best team you can depending on what units are available to you and what items you aquire, then they automatically face off against other players.
You constantly assess whether to buy new units, or to spend that currency to level up (letting you place more units), or to spend on rerolling the pool of champions available to you, or to do nothing and earn interest. Lots of depth to team compositions and deciding when and if to change strategies.
Personally I kind of hate it. There's lots of waiting around and it's very random. Frequently the correct decisions is to do nothing but you have to constantly pay attention.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I like TFT because it's more chill. But once they added the "Overtime" where the battles go on fast forward it kinda pisses me off cause that should just be the default speed now.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
What a great video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_-kANpqetM

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I love the idea of champs who've gotten visual updates having PTSD from their old versions.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I found out the hard way the card game's access was only for a few days :p: I feel a little better neglecting disco Elysium to play though. I had fun with my time playing and my only real concern is how monetization is going to shake out. It was kind of masked by everybody getting a bunch of wildcards, but if the only way to get cards stays being the limited region rewards this game will be even worse than hearthstone. There doesn't seem to be packs so what do you do when you run out of those? I don't think you'd be near a complete set even if you finished all of them. I finished one of the regions which netted me like ~4000 shards which is enough for a single champion.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I missed you guys. I'm now going to be a professional LoR player.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The fact that that isn’t using his Warden skin is confusing as poo poo to me

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

DrManiac posted:

I found out the hard way the card game's access was only for a few days :p: I feel a little better neglecting disco Elysium to play though. I had fun with my time playing and my only real concern is how monetization is going to shake out. It was kind of masked by everybody getting a bunch of wildcards, but if the only way to get cards stays being the limited region rewards this game will be even worse than hearthstone. There doesn't seem to be packs so what do you do when you run out of those? I don't think you'd be near a complete set even if you finished all of them. I finished one of the regions which netted me like ~4000 shards which is enough for a single champion.

They showed the monetisation on the Riot Pls stream and it was all in for the beta. You can buy wildcards with coins (it worked out to about £3 for a legendary wildcard in this patch), so effectively you'll just be buying cards individually as you need them for decks. Then there's the weekly vault chests you'll get cards from as well. The big point they were hammering on was you won't be able to buy random packs for real money.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The monetization of all these card games is the worst part of them.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
You can buy a full set of Artifact cards for under 40$

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

How many sets are there though?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
There is only one set.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nLEMushiWY&t=41s

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Not sure when it was added but Netflix has League Of Legends Origins available. It's a pretty cool history of Riot Games and LoL and the best parts are seeing casters and players 10 years younger.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I saw the trailer for that during the 10 Year blitz but it made no mention of it being a Netflix doc.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You’d think it was Dota 2 with how they used to have one dude voice 5 different characters. Karthus, Ryze, Mordekaiser, Shaco, Kassadin. Of course, old characters have 25 lines at most.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 22, 2019

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

You’d think it was Dota 2 with how they used to have one dude voice 5 different characters. Karthus, Ryze, Mordekaiser, Shaco, Kassadin. Of course, old characters have 25 lines at most.

in an ideal world i would take "trained voice actor with good range doing 5 characters" vs "untrained intern poorly does one thing", but alas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pog boyfriend posted:

in an ideal world i would take "trained voice actor with good range doing 5 characters" vs "untrained intern poorly does one thing", but alas

I miss pre-World of Warcraft voice acting from Blizzard where every single female character was like the same 2 interns. You knew that OG Sarah Kerrigan, Diablo 1 Rogue, Diablo 2 Kashya, and the War3 dryad were all the same person. And Metzen voiced half the male cast.