Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Screaming Idiot posted:

I work for a contractor who works for a contractor who works for a contractor. I provide information about Tricare insurance. My job mostly consists of varying ways of telling people why they will have to die from cancer. My job should not exist and it depresses me so much I have often considered taking my own life, but I know that it's the only job in town that pays over minimum wage and does not include back-breaking physical labor.

I will happily march to the guillotine when the time comes. I'm a parasite of a parasite of a parasite.

doing what you have to do to survive doesn't make you bourgeoisie my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
now, if you were an executive at one of those contractors. well, we have ways

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Larry Parrish posted:

now, if you were an executive at one of those contractors. well, we have ways

where exactly is the transition

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Here's one of the first examples in the book. It's all downhill from there.

quote:

The German military has a subcontractor that does their IT work. The IT firm has a subcontractor that does their logistics. The logistics firm has a subcontractor that does their personnel management, and I work for that company. Let's say soldier A moves to an office two rooms farther down the hall. Instead of just carrying his computer over there, he has to fill out a form. The IT subcontractor will get the form, people will read it, and forward it to the logistics firm. The logistics firm will then have to approve the moving down the hall and will request personnel from us. The office people in my company will then do whatever they do, and now I come in.

I get an e-mail: "Be at barracks B at time C." Usually these barracks are one hundred to five hundred kilometers [62-310 miles] away from my home, so I will get a rental car. I take the rental car, drive to the barracks, let dispatch know that I arrived, fill out a form, unhook the computer, load the computer into a box, seal the box, have a guy from the logistics firm carry the box to the next room, where I unseal the box, fill out another form, hook up the computer, call dispatch to tell them how long I took, get a couple of signatures, take my rental car back home, send dispatch a letter with all of the paperwork and then get paid.

So instead of the soldier carrying his computer for five meters, two people drive for a combined six to ten hours, fill out around fifteen pages of paperwork, and waste a good four hundred Euros of taxpayers' money.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

SplitSoul posted:

"we're going to contract out our IT to save the taxpayer money!"

:suicide:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

SplitSoul posted:

Wow they really learned from the Iraq war how to milk it

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Like I remember that story about the Trump administration hiring some firm with 5 people in Montana or whatever to help with disaster relief and it was real obvious they were just going to immediately subcontract it after skimming what they could

The Bush administration did that like crazy; they were contracting construction firms that didn’t own any construction equipment, etc; the subcontracting would go like 3 or 4 levels deep

They’d us US federal money to contract someone to install an AC, who would subcontract, who would also subcontract, etc until a fan was eventually installed with whatever money remained

Arcteryx Anarchist has issued a correction as of 13:04 on Oct 21, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Memento posted:

"we're going to contract out our IT to save the taxpayer money!"

:suicide:

In Australia, public servants are paid out of the federal budget, but contractors are paid out of a separate fund.

Guess where that's taken us.

Hint: "We've cut budget waste!"

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

lancemantis posted:

Like I remember that story about the Trump administration hiring some firm with 5 people in Montana or whatever to help with disaster relief and it was real obvious they were just going to immediately subcontract it after skimming what they could

The Bush administration did that like crazy; they were contracting construction firms that didn’t own any construction equipment, etc; the subcontracting would go like 3 or 4 levels deep

They’d us US federal money to contract someone to install an AC, who would subcontract, who would also subcontract, etc until a fan was eventually installed with whatever money remained

You'd think a simple law like "only 5% of Fed funds can be paid to subcontracts and only for these reasons" could be effective in combating this.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

he's leaving out the part where for every step, you tack on an additional 15% to the bill for "overhead costs"

mycomancy posted:

You'd think a simple law like "only 5% of Fed funds can be paid to subcontracts and only for these reasons" could be effective in combating this.

it could but why would a politician vote against the interests of their close friends/business partners in the subcontracting industry

little munchkin has issued a correction as of 13:27 on Oct 21, 2019

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

mycomancy posted:

this assumes an ideological premise which no right-winger can accept, and which even very few liberals will countenance, namely that market solutions have significant friction attached to them which will tend to outweigh the coordination benefits involved. just saying it would get even relatively sane conservatives to start raving about communism

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Teachers & the gig economy

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/teac...gn=yahoofinance

quote:

Nolah used to serve weeknights at Red Lobster — a third job she took in addition to tutoring to supplement her teaching salary. Now, thanks to the "sugar daddy" dating website SeekingArrangement.com, she's the one getting served. "I can go on a date, I can have steak and lobster, be gone for three hours after my kids are already asleep and come home with $500," she tells Yahoo Lifestyle.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Financial advice for millennials: just whore yourself out.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

razorrozar posted:

doing what you have to do to survive doesn't make you bourgeoisie my friend.

I work for a company that makes software for department store cash registers, on a scale from Marx to Koch how bad am I?

Before you answer know that I am also very lazy which can be interpreted as a work slow down if you kinda squint.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

While it might not seem like the most acceptable side hustle for an educator, it’s likely among the most lucrative. The average sugar baby makes an estimated $2800 monthly from their “daddies,” SeekingArrangement reported at the organization’s 2018 summit

They have a summit lmao

Who's going to DaddyCon this year

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

V. Illych L. posted:

this assumes an ideological premise which no right-winger can accept, and which even very few liberals will countenance, namely that market solutions have significant friction attached to them which will tend to outweigh the coordination benefits involved. just saying it would get even relatively sane conservatives to start raving about communism

gently caress em.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

I work for a company that makes software for department store cash registers, on a scale from Marx to Koch how bad am I?

Before you answer know that I am also very lazy which can be interpreted as a work slow down if you kinda squint.

Sounds like me, only I work for an IT company that builds media servers for schools to help them brainwash narc provide curated media for students and teachers.

I'm not at the top of the list, but I'm on it somewhere.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Shipon posted:

that's exactly my point. i'm not saying the people in bangladesh or subsaharan africa are at fault because they absolutely aren't. our lifestyle is so monumentally wasteful that even though we have far fewer people, we are far more overpopulated than the global south in terms of resource usage

we could easily cut our energy consumption in half if we just made these changes above and managed to stop people from buying so much useless poo poo in the culture, and our lives would be better off for it even though our "standard of living went down".

the car-centric suburbs have to loving go. raze them to the ground, build that wood-stick mid-rise housing and a bunch of light rail lines. give people basic public housing provisions so they don't have to do useless jobs and force employers to accept telecommuting for the rest of the time, ban business travel for conferences or meetings.

That's adorable that you think any of this happens under capitalism.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

mycomancy posted:

gently caress em.

yeah i agree, just saying

it's a core tenet of neoliberalism, there's a reason why it is the way it is

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shame Boy posted:

So you're the goon who put all the Sonic the Hedgehog sound effects into the cash register so when I buy rear end cream the drowning music comes on after they scan the item

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Siljmonster posted:

So you're the goon who put all the Sonic the Hedgehog sound effects into the cash register so when I buy rear end cream the drowning music comes on after they scan the item

God no, I'm still trying to figure that one out too.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Siljmonster posted:

the sounds are there to remind you that there's no ethical consumption under capitalism

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

No that's pretty standard sex work, no extra steps. Unless you're talking about teaching, in which case yes absolutely.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Siljmonster posted:

Wait is there actual sonic music on cash registers these days? all I ever hear is just the ring noise

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

No one should be too proud for good, honest work at the dick sucking factory.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Chomp8645 posted:

i'm sure i've seen Bloomberg/Forbes/etc basically say that outright several times the last few years

"attractive (enough) young with some form of a hole? stuff a rich baby bomber cock in it to pay off student loan debts! then save money not buying avocado toast and put it into index funds! retire early!"

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Ziv Zulander posted:

Wait is there actual sonic music on cash registers these days? all I ever hear is just the ring noise

Some places just have the ring sound effect when you buy something and the newer ones will start playing the drowning music if you take too long getting change out of your pocket if the line is really long. I looked into this and it's because Sega isn't doing so well financially so they sold some of their intellectual properties to a company called Sammy who then puts the sound effects into all the cheap made in china electronics that get shipped here.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

Xaris posted:

i'm sure i've seen Bloomberg/Forbes/etc basically say that outright several times the last few years

"attractive (enough) young with some form of a hole? stuff a rich baby bomber cock in it to pay off student loan debts! then save money not buying avocado toast and put it into index funds! retire early!"

pimpr

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

bag em and tag em posted:

No one should be too proud for good, honest work at the dick sucking factory.
I'm still in the first year of the unpaid internship.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Shame Boy posted:

They have a summit lmao

Who's going to DaddyCon this year

Free cummies if you pre-order now!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I honestly deserve to be at least second in line to go up against the wall

It causes me anxiety and guilt on the regular but I don’t know how to escape

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Xaris posted:

Entitled Boomers writing articles explaining that the young need to suck and gently caress them if they want to pay their bills is really just the logical progression to their narcissism.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lancemantis posted:

I honestly deserve to be at least second in line to go up against the wall

It causes me anxiety and guilt on the regular but I don’t know how to escape

Offset it with significant personal investment and action to directly help those less fortunate than you, at least that's what I do :shrug: Like I spend about as much money every month helping others as I spend on food, sometimes more. This can either be donations to charity or just helping someone pay rent this month so they don't get evicted or whatever. I'm not rich or anything but I make enough money to be reasonably comfortable and it just feels super wrong to shove all the extra in a money pile while people around me (let alone around the world) are on the brink of homelessness or starvation.

It's not enough to counteract the fact that my whole life as a well-off white male has been built on the backs of exploited people or anything but I think it'd at least get me knocked back a few places in line :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Some places just have the ring sound effect when you buy something and the newer ones will start playing the drowning music if you take too long getting change out of your pocket if the line is really long. I looked into this and it's because Sega isn't doing so well financially so they sold some of their intellectual properties to a company called Sammy who then puts the sound effects into all the cheap made in china electronics that get shipped here.

Wait is this a real thing?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

While I'm much, much more in favour of complete nonviolence, before and after the gay agenda revolution, I think "has never ordered or partook war crimes" is a belt you can wear. If you're on the right side of that you'll be fine because we have a lot of people still around that aren't.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
What if it's just minor war crimes?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Lambert posted:

What if it's just minor war crimes?

A little light treason?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Committing treason is cool and good actually, it erases one (1) war crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Len posted:

Wait is this a real thing?

It's true except for the part about the drowning music playing if you take too long in line. I was just fuckin with ya'll on that one.