Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
If this means I can put 6 Color Panharmonicon back together then I'm gonna at least give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rinkles posted:

what was the main issue with extended?

They changed it from 7 to 4 years in an active effort to slay it.

It worked.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

little munchkin posted:

extended has a narrow card pool that leads to your choices being "deck from last standard that everyone hated" and "deck from current standard that you hate, but with a few upgrades"

Also as I understand it game stores didn't really run it, as casual players weren't really interested in another rotating format on top of Standard.

There was also a lot of shenanigans with how long the rotation period would be which turned people off at the end IIRC. But mostly it was a format that people only played because it was on the pro tour and once Modern came along people just took that up instead.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Thinking about the time period this format covers, I do have a prediction (assuming anyone even plays it).

Black will be the dominant color the way Blue is in Legacy. This is the era of deliberate anti-power-creep and nerfing spells into nothing. Aside from RTR itself, these blocks had ever-increasing creature power levels, but spells did the opposite for most colors.

Lightning Bolt was deemed too strong for Standard after 17 years for some reason and hasn't been printed since M11 (so pre-Innistrad). One mana removal with drawback in white is gone. Hell we don't even get Oblivion Ring anymore for 3 mana, it's either restricted to specific permanents (Prison Realm), restricted by type AND CMC (Glass Casket, Baffling End), or it costs 4+ mana (Cast Out, Ixalan's Binding). This is after they stopped printing 4 mana white wrath effects. Blue counter-magic we rarely get under 3 mana anymore, and it's always restricted if we do. Gone are the days of Mana Leak. At least Blue gets its delve spells that needed to be banned in every other format, I guess.

Meanwhile what's in Black for Pioneer? Thoughtseize, Fatal Push, a host of other decent 2-mana removal, 3 mana flex spells (still at instant speed) like Hero's Downfall and now Murderous Rider.

Even when you get into Gold spells, the winners are still black: Abrupt Decay, rear end Trophy, Dreadbore, Bedevil.

Green would come in second since this is going to be heavily midrange-centric, plus you have the gold spells I mentioned if you also play Black.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
They could just reprint things willy nilly with Masters sets and make Modern easier to get into, but we can't have that. I look forward to Pioneer having the same problem.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Huxley posted:

You're probably never getting better mana than Shocks and Checks in this format, and if you look at Modern decks from SCG last week, there are a LOT of $150 decks with $600 manabases.

There are certainly some exceptions to that rule (Jund is a $1200 deck with a $600 manabase), but a playset of Blood Crypt is never going to cost $200.

If it takes off cards will get expensive like any other in-demand format. Nothing individually will be as expensive as fetches as nothing goes in as many decks as they do, but lands will still be the most common denominator and will still be expensive.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
:pray:ing we get to see some more rhinos

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
They could bring back 7-year Extended; I don't think it's a coincidence that both Modern and Pioneer have, like, 7-year Extended-like card pools at launch.

Anyway I'm hype for when Pioneer becomes lovely after Pioneer Horizons and they make Trailblazer in 2025 with cards starting from GRN, that'll be the format to watch.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

:pray:ing we get to see some more rhinos

I can't remember baby coco didn't overlap with rhinos right?

Oh god junk reaninator can run rhinos over thragtusk

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Started playing this weekend. Is it frowned upon to post extremely noob questions in this thread?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
^^^^ nah, ask away some people are assholes in here but people love to talk MTG

When they actually ran them local Frontier events in my area were dominated heavily by red based aggressive decks, other upgraded four color bfz standard decks (Jeskai Black, Abzan blue), control decks, and Aetherworks Marvel. My guess is there will be a lot less 4/5 color stuff with fetches prebanned - should be an interesting format to check out over the next couple months if if lives. Frontier failed because WOTC didn’t support it.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

ilmucche posted:

I guess it ensures historic will be an arena only format. I'm excited to jank my way into a deck for pioneer, but can't see it taking off here where most people are losing their interest in standard and getting into modern/have already bought into modern.

It should’ve been clear Historic was going to be an arena only format the second they announced that they were going to add random cards from non arena sets to it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Definitely makes a lot of sense to add yet another eternal format to deal with the issue of how hard/expensive it is to get into their already existing eternal format that they can literally print whatever they want, whenever they want for.

The page won’t load for me, do they have a mission statement? Like what is the point of this, just to make it easier to add a non-standard format to Arena? Then what’s the point of Historic????? Fetches are cool, why brag about getting rid of them?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Started playing this weekend. Is it frowned upon to post extremely noob questions in this thread?

It's happened before and will happen again. No one starts as a crazed hermit with only one tooth.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Everything is frowned upon in this thread. :justpost: and don't let the rampant negativity drive you away from the game.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Star Man posted:

They could just reprint things willy nilly with Masters sets and make Modern easier to get into, but we can't have that. I look forward to Pioneer having the same problem.
After the success of Modern Horizons I don't think either it or Modern is going away anytime soon. But I don't think people would accept the amount of reprinting in Modern Horizons that WOTC would need to do to make it accessible to the sort of players they're aiming at with Pioneer.

If anything, this feels like WOTC trying to kill off Legacy and turn Modern into the "Hyper-enfranchised player" format (but this time we can reprint the money cards).

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

fadam posted:

Fetches are cool, why brag about getting rid of them?

Fetches+typed duals are literally the strongest mana base possible with current technology, so they'd like one fuckin' format to be not that.

Tibalt posted:

If anything, this feels like WOTC trying to kill off Legacy and turn Modern into the "Hyper-enfranchised player" format (but this time we can reprint the money cards).

Put Force and Wasteland into Modern so it can self-regulate and this would be fine.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

fadam posted:

Definitely makes a lot of sense to add yet another eternal format to deal with the issue of how hard/expensive it is to get into their already existing eternal format that they can literally print whatever they want, whenever they want for.

The page won’t load for me, do they have a mission statement? Like what is the point of this, just to make it easier to add a non-standard format to Arena? Then what’s the point of Historic????? Fetches are cool, why brag about getting rid of them?

1) people want to play with old cards -> legacy
2) oh no, reserved list.
3) well, let's just make a format where you can play with old cards starting sometime after the reserved list ended so we can reprint all the staples-> modern
4) we didn't reprint the staples because sentient beards that smell like cat piss will be mad at us
5) frontier, historic, pioneer

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

ItBreathes posted:

Everything is frowned upon in this thread. :justpost: and don't let the rampant negativity drive you away from the game.

This is the perfect summary of this game in general.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Tibalt posted:

After the success of Modern Horizons I don't think either it or Modern is going away anytime soon. But I don't think people would accept the amount of reprinting in Modern Horizons that WOTC would need to do to make it accessible to the sort of players they're aiming at with Pioneer.

I give support for Modern two years tops. It's over, folks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Star Man posted:

I give support for Modern two years tops. It's over, folks.

Modern has a lot of cool cards in it that people like to play. As long as paper lives so does madern.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Frontier was never official and existed basically to offload Jace, Vryns' Prodigies. Historic is the non-rotating format for Arena because it's ~*~special~*~.

This new format announcement is causing people to hammer scryfall apparently, it's not moving very fast.

Fuckers.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

I wonder how U/W spirits runs without aether vial, path, and Thalia. It retains or replaces most of its cards otherwise.

Kolaghan's command is back, baby.

Will we see the return of smuggler's copter? It's been fringe playable in Modern.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Welcome! What kind of magic did you play? A sealed event at a store where you made a deck out of six booster packs? A preconstructed deck with a friend?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
So are the Mystery Boosters "Pioneer Masters?"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Frontier was never official and existed basically to offload Jace, Vryns' Prodigies. Historic is the non-rotating format for Arena because it's ~*~special~*~.

This new format announcement is causing people to hammer scryfall apparently, it's not moving very fast.

Fuckers.

Historic is the same poo poo every digital card game does. It's weird they're not trying to make it a thing in paper but otherwise it's hard to give wizards flak on that one as they're just following the leader, and likewise will do as little as possible to try and get people to play it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AngryBooch posted:

So are the Mystery Boosters "Pioneer Masters?"

Pioneer Horizons, where they introduce some busted-rear end artifacts and ruin the format immediately before announcing a new non-rotating format.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

ItBreathes posted:

Historic is the same poo poo every digital card game does. It's weird they're not trying to make it a thing in paper but otherwise it's hard to give wizards flak on that one as they're just following the leader, and likewise will do as little as possible to try and get people to play it.

Yeah that one's understandable. The cards are already there and doing nothing in people's collections, it takes minimal effort to just copy the Standard events and just plug in a new list of what's legal.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Tibalt posted:

Welcome! What kind of magic did you play? A sealed event at a store where you made a deck out of six booster packs? A preconstructed deck with a friend?

WoTC hosed me sorely, I bought the Spellslinger starter kit. Red and white decks.

I have a question about Leyline of Combustion. So the card description says "Whenever you and/or at least one permanent you control becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, Leyline of Combustion deals 2 damage to that player" - my question is, since summoning a creature is a "spell" (yes?), does this card trigger when the opponent summons a creature? Is summoning a creature a spell targeted at the player? When does this trigger otherwise? Are creatures permanents or is that Planeswalkers?

But your question gets me to the next thing -- where the gently caress do I go from here in terms of getting more cards/decks? I don't have time enough to be paying regular visits to the game store, I'm just playing with my girlfriend and a friend who used to play a long time ago.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

If this takes off modern and legacy can’t coexist. One will be very dead soon.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

There's no reason for this not be on Arena besides them wanting to double dip and try to make Historic a thing.

Star Man posted:

Modern's fuckin dead

RIP.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rinkles posted:

what was the main issue with extended? expensive cards that didn't retain that value?

The main issue with extended is that wotc didn't want people playing with their cards that aren't being sold anymore, so they deliberately killed extended by shrinking it from 7 blocks (seven years of sets) to 4 blocks (four years). When Extended predictably and totally died outside of PTQ season, and people started just not playing or making their own format instead of moving to standard, they created Modern.

Guess we figured out why they printed so many ludicrous cards in Modern Horizons, they wanted to kill the other eternal formats to make way for Pioneer.

also someone find the best Cruise or Jeskai Ascendancy deck.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Perry Mason Jar posted:

WoTC hosed me sorely, I bought the Spellslinger starter kit. Red and white decks.

I have a question about Leyline of Combustion. So the card description says "Whenever you and/or at least one permanent you control becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, Leyline of Combustion deals 2 damage to that player" - my question is, since summoning a creature is a "spell" (yes?), does this card trigger when the opponent summons a creature? Is summoning a creature a spell targeted at the player? When does this trigger otherwise? Are creatures permanents or is that Planeswalkers?

But your question gets me to the next thing -- where the gently caress do I go from here in terms of getting more cards/decks? I don't have time enough to be paying regular visits to the game store, I'm just playing with my girlfriend and a friend who used to play a long time ago.

Creatures are spell yes, but they don't target (only things with the word 'target' target) so they don't trigger it. Some creatures have abilities that do target which would, but those are separate from the summoning.

Lands, creatures, artifacts, enchantments, and planeswalkers are permanents, but only once they're in play. They're spells while you're casting on them but before they're in play (on the stack).

Not a popular opinion around here, but if you're interested in building decks I recommend getting a deckbuilders toolkit from your game store / big box store / Amazon. The cards are only good for casual play but it gives you a decent amount to gently caress around with a comes with a nifty enough box.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

BioThermo posted:

I wonder how U/W spirits runs without aether vial, path, and Thalia. It retains or replaces most of its cards otherwise.

It's maybe more of a UW Fliers deck with the eagle lord from M20 and Judge's Familiar?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

There's no reason for this not be on Arena besides them wanting to double dip and try to make Historic a thing.

Aside from the 5,000+ cards they would have to add into arena...

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mat Cauthon posted:

The reason is not programming 2000 cards at once.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

ItBreathes posted:

Creatures are spell yes, but they don't target (only things with the word 'target' target) so they don't trigger it. Some creatures have abilities that do target which would, but those are separate from the summoning.

Lands, creatures, artifacts, enchantments, and planeswalkers are permanents, but only once they're in play. They're spells while you're casting on them but before they're in play (on the stack).

Not a popular opinion around here, but if you're interested in building decks I recommend getting a deckbuilders toolkit from your game store / big box store / Amazon. The cards are only good for casual play but it gives you a decent amount to gently caress around with a comes with a nifty enough box.

Thanks I think I get it. I was eyeing the Rookie decks from CardKingdom as well as Battledecks from there. But I'm going to keep chugging along with these two decks until I no longer have any questions about the cards or their interactions.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Interestingly, they're actually pushing this format reasonably hard - they've got an MTGO PTQ for it every week in November, and two on December 6th and 7th.

and yet the one Pauper MCQ they ran had 214 players and they didn't schedule any more...

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Thanks I think I get it. I was eyeing the Rookie decks from CardKingdom as well as Battledecks from there. But I'm going to keep chugging along with these two decks until I no longer have any questions about the cards or their interactions.

The battledecks are a very popular second step, I'm not familiar with the rookie decks.

While it doesn't help with individual card interactions, spending a little bit playing Arena is probably the best way to get a handle on the technical aspects of the game structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

ItBreathes posted:

Another very popular way to play casual Magic with friends is Commander. Commander is a format focused on playing with multiple people in a more "party game" setting. Commander gets the name from your Commander card, a legendary creature that you can always cast that defines what colors are allowed in your deck.

Commander is made up of 100 card, with only one of each specific card, so each game is usually different from the last. WotC has released a lot of preconstructed decks for Commander, but a lot of people have a lot of fun building their own unique version.