Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Taear posted:

A lot of Paradox employees post here (and come from here) and none of them have ever really given the impression that it's as horrible as that makes out.

Different disciplines get different managers, I was a content designer and my manager was great.

But yeah QAs had a lot of complaints

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Darkrenown posted:

You can be fired for being publically "disloyal" so no one would in the hypothetical scenario that they agreed.

Well that's....rubbish. I know companies do that (yes my company does this) but still.

Grouchio posted:

So Paradox:

1. Announced CK3 instead of Vicky 3, which is going to be bare bones on release but will make CK2 unplayable somehow.
2. Dipped its toes into the mobile market with Stellaris for mobile.
3. Launched a new launcher for Stellaris that sucks rear end and wiped out my 150+ mods.

Paradox why do you do this to me? What the gently caress is wrong with you?

I think you're reaching deciding it'll be bare bones from what we've heard.
But the new launcher is rubbish yes, it feels like it's breaking Ironman!

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Darkrenown posted:

You can be fired for being publically "disloyal" so no one would in the hypothetical scenario that they agreed.

One of the few ways that its actually valid to fire someone, according to swedish law.

For the record. I’m a member of the Union.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Taear posted:

I think you're reaching deciding it'll be bare bones from what we've heard.

I really don't get the hate for a supposed barebones CK3. CK2 was "barebones" at launch compared to now, and it still was one of the best (the best?) GSG at the time, on day one.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

canepazzo posted:

I really don't get the hate for a supposed barebones CK3. CK2 was "barebones" at launch compared to now, and it still was one of the best (the best?) GSG at the time, on day one.

For some reason, people repeat that and somehow remember release day CK2/EU4 as barebones as if those games only became good later. I think it also was a self-fulfilling prophecy with Imperator: Rome. People repeated something like "it will be good in a year or two" so everyone was very quick to dismiss release version as just a demo of a future game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Paradox games don’t actually have that track record, you’re thinking of Civilization. EU4 was pretty much a feature complete and upgraded EU3. Their games have traditionally always been straight upgrades.

CK3 looks to be more character based and features a new map so it’s likely to play very differently from CK2. I do think it’s a ‘safe’ choice and I would have preferred something else, at least for another year. But we’re likely to see a lot more of this going forward as the push to bring quarterly reports up picks up steam in the next few years. It’s easy to tell that releasing so many things concurrently in November is an effort to get a good yearly sales report.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

pdxjohan posted:

One of the few ways that its actually valid to fire someone, according to swedish law.

Well of course. Sweden is a de jure part of the Kalmar Union.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Welp, someone is getting a stern talking to at the office later. :smith:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Honestly I'm happy about CK3 partially straight up in the hopes that it won't be as overwhelming as CK2 with all the DLC and systems added over the years. I think the fear that everything's going to be taken away and then resold to you like it's The Sims is probably overblown though, and it seems like this is more refining the game so it's in a good place to be built upon again than stripping it of all the meat. I guess we'll all find out together though.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

Honestly I'm happy about CK3 partially straight up in the hopes that it won't be as overwhelming as CK2 with all the DLC and systems added over the years. I think the fear that everything's going to be taken away and then resold to you like it's The Sims is probably overblown though, and it seems like this is more refining the game so it's in a good place to be built upon again than stripping it of all the meat. I guess we'll all find out together though.

Hopefully it's like HoI3->4 where 4 had less content than 3 at launch, but was mechanically a much better game, and better designed on almost all fronts. Even base HoI4 was more fun to play than 3 with all the expansions.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

pdxjohan posted:

I am in the Victoria 3 union. We're looking for members, especially Paradox devs.....

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Enjoy posted:

Different disciplines get different managers, I was a content designer and my manager was great.

But yeah QAs had a lot of complaints

Edit: May have figured out who you are. How you doin

LordMune fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 21, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I expect CK3 will have most o the complete Ck2 mechanics and systems, but better integrated (since they will be added from there from the start not added later as DLCs) and some new ideas and improvments, with only less different religions/government types to play at launch

Im pretty excited and I trust it will be better than Ck2 both at launch and at the long run

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 21, 2019

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

LordMune posted:

Edit: May have figured out who you are. How you doin

Still alive

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Guys

Guys

GUYS

They finally announced it... Vicky 3

https://twitter.com/Type072Game/status/1183095454101364736

https://twitter.com/Type072Game/status/1184276445843148800

https://twitter.com/Type072Game/status/1185667289238196225

No word on the all-important population pyramids yet.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I expect that government types will be pared down, but the way they said up front that there was going to be dynamic religions sounds like they'll try to incorporate much more than just christians at the beginning. Isn't the map going to extend all the way to Tibet? I don't think it's very likely christendom will get that far.

And if they integrate extra religions from the start, that may be a good start to avoid the way that CK2 kept forgetting about supporting some religions in later updates.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Guys

Guys

GUYS

They finally announced it... Vicky 3

https://twitter.com/Type072Game/status/1183095454101364736

I was surprised to get this game as a Promoted tweet the other day. Surprised because it must be incredibly targeted (I think I follow a few Paradox accounts) and also because the dev must have paid for ads.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
With graphics like that it sells itself

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

CK3 justifies itself to me by going in an even more roleplaying direction than CK2. It doesn't look like CK2 but shinier graphics, the new gameplay focus sounds good. Also that they've said you're not just limited to Christians at the game start. Eases fears of the barebones aspect!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Thanks paradox "deus vult" megathread for reminding me why this is the only forum I read inside of one page

e: also lol at these being back to back

quote:

I'll repeat my point from the other thread: I think it's a great decision. It's a very minor change, yet it has led to a great amount of people to come out of the bushes to loudly complain about it and promise to boycott the game. If they go through with that and even remove themselves from the community entirely over it - or even just identify themselves to be banned over it - this will lead to a massive decrease in toxicity.

quote:

Whitewashing history is never acceptable. This move means that I will never buy this game, and as you can see from the products on my account, I'm no slouch when it comes to investing in good games. I sincerely doubt I'm the only one.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 21, 2019

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm sure reddit will find some other phrase to turn into a meme once CK3 comes out.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

SlothfulCobra posted:

I expect that government types will be pared down, but the way they said up front that there was going to be dynamic religions sounds like they'll try to incorporate much more than just christians at the beginning. Isn't the map going to extend all the way to Tibet? I don't think it's very likely christendom will get that far.

Church of the east?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm sure reddit will find some other phrase to turn into a meme once CK3 comes out.

Yeah, that's what makes this change completely pointless. It's not that "Deus Vult" are some magic words that turn people into Nazis after they hear it. Crusades just appeal to the far right, because they like stories about white Christians beating up Muslims. They will just keep using it, or find themselves a new symbol.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

telling the far right they're not welcome in your community is it's own reward

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
On the other hand, if your goal isn't to completely fix the community's racism problem overnight but instead just to annoy and inconvenience the racists, getting this much rage out of two words on one event screen being (rumored to be) changed seems like a slam dunk.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Being upset that CK3 will not have an event button that says "Deus Vult" is like being upset that HOI4 does not have an event button that says "Heil Hitler" or "Sieg Heil". Leaving it out does not really compromise the historicity of anything. Sure, it's a cool term (Deus Vult, not the Hitler stuff), and it'd be nice to use it, but not at the risk of cryptofascists thinking it's really some dogwhistle (or Paradox having to defend it in media).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's absolutely no other games that let white supremacists and the like play out their ethnno-religious map-cleansing fantasies so Paradox can be as mean to them as they want and not worry about losing their custom. Drive them out of the community, it's a no-lose situation.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
As someone who’s worked in game dev for almost 20 years (dear god that is depressing) the only thing that leaps out from those Glassdoor posts are the sexual harassment accusations. Sadly QA often gets pooped on - it also gets a lot of entry level people who don’t fit in for whatever reason so sometimes Glassdoor complaints need to be taken with that in mind.

The real crime is all that Swedish speaking in Sweden, clearly.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Lum_ posted:

As someone who’s worked in game dev for almost 20 years (dear god that is depressing) the only thing that leaps out from those Glassdoor posts are the sexual harassment accusations. Sadly QA often gets pooped on - it also gets a lot of entry level people who don’t fit in for whatever reason so sometimes Glassdoor complaints need to be taken with that in mind.

Glassdoor also tends to attract people who're mad. And it's fine to be mad of course, but it's a place people vent when they're extremely angry.

Athas posted:

Being upset that CK3 will not have an event button that says "Deus Vult" is like being upset that HOI4 does not have an event button that says "Heil Hitler" or "Sieg Heil". Leaving it out does not really compromise the historicity of anything. Sure, it's a cool term (Deus Vult, not the Hitler stuff), and it'd be nice to use it, but not at the risk of cryptofascists thinking it's really some dogwhistle (or Paradox having to defend it in media).

Yea but they're big racists and saying Deus Vult is a big bit of being a big racist right now.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Lum_ posted:

So if you were told the place you'd be working at used English as its working language, had to apparently pay your own way over there, and then found out that actually they speak Swedish a lot in work conversations you'd be okay huh. That's cool but hopefully you can find the empathy somewhere in your bones to understand why others would see that as a problem

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Church of the east?

Not christendom as in the existance of christians, but as the politically dominant territory-controlling religious power. The former is only relevant if they put in some kind of system to represent minority groups ingame.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Grouchio posted:

(Now that I'm calmer:)

How much of the recent CK2 DLC like Holy Fury, Conclave, Monks, and Reapers Due are getting (more or less) imported into the base game? Will I have to wait two years post-release for CK3 to have as much content as CK2?

They did mention in the RPS article that the religious customization option is going to be in CK3, for starters. And they mentioned that a lot of the roleplaying stuff is inspired by Way of Life, except heavily expanded. From the way they made it sound, we can expect a lot of the more popular DLC features to make it over, but we probably shouldn't expect the stuff hardly anyone seems to care about, like hospitals or whatever.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

like hospitals or whatever.

Only because they were a complete waste of money unless you were already godtier rich and had nothing else to make. Would have loved to see the diseases/hospitals overhauled but ah well.

Maybe for CK3

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Demiurge4 posted:

There were apparently goodie bags made (see below tweet) but they never acknowledged that the actual thing people got was a T-shirt and an envelope and that felt a bit lovely.

https://twitter.com/quill18/status/1185952744731009024?s=21

Just wanted to correct this, as there was a mistake in shipping we did not get all the bags that were planned (only 200 out of 2200) and had to resort to envelopes. No one is happy that it happened, but it was communicated at the convention. And it sucks that some people claim that the event team tried to cheapen the goodiebags when that was not the case. It also means we have like 2000 PDXCON2019 bags that we need to figure out what to do with back in Stockholm...

Also different levels of ticket holder got different goodiebags, quill18 has the Emperor one (I think), and I think the lowest tier had like Bloodlines 2, Lithoids and some more stuff in it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lum_ posted:

Yeah this is equally true of the non-games company I work for. The entry level thing makes for some very interesting responses; some are probably true, but some don't track at all.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

like hospitals or whatever.

Fun fact about hospitals: If they aren't enough to completely bypass whatever disease is wracking your nation, they often just make things worse. Diseases have a set duration once they reach a province, and hospitals delay disease reaching the province but do not reduce that duration. So if your policy is to close the gates while there is disease in or adjacent to your capital, a hospital increases the duration you'll need to be locked up for.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

tbf early modern hospitals sucked rear end in a variety of ways

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

cKnoor posted:

Just wanted to correct this, as there was a mistake in shipping we did not get all the bags that were planned (only 200 out of 2200) and had to resort to envelopes. No one is happy that it happened, but it was communicated at the convention. And it sucks that some people claim that the event team tried to cheapen the goodiebags when that was not the case. It also means we have like 2000 PDXCON2019 bags that we need to figure out what to do with back in Stockholm...

Also different levels of ticket holder got different goodiebags, quill18 has the Emperor one (I think), and I think the lowest tier had like Bloodlines 2, Lithoids and some more stuff in it.

Huh, I must have missed that. I was at the pre-show and announcement show and I don’t remember hearing it. But if it was announced then I apologise.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They should just replace "Deus vult" with "God wills it" and see how angry people get. The game is in a vulgar language so it should use a vulgar translation after all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Better yet, replace with with Inshallah.